Forums > Photography Talk > Studio .....

Photographer

bex

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm currently setting my new studio which I'll eventually be hiring out......

my question for you is what would you suggest is necessary equipment for a photography studio.... what would you want? Number of lights, accessories..... back grounds?? colours?

Aug 21 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Since no one else has posted, I'll give you my two cents worth. 

- Four or five lights, a couple of them low-power and permanently mounted for white background shots.

- A variety of seamless paper, starting with dark gray and white, and as many other colors as you can afford.

- A few muslins, not the ugly ones please. wink

- A couple of softboxes, including one 2x3' or larger if you have the space.

- heavy duty stands with casters

- depending on the space available, couches, chairs, etc for props.

Paul

Aug 21 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I agree with the previous list but I would also include a CD player and a coffee maker.  backgrounds are very much person preference but I am fond of paper myself.  In a world with no budget I would also have a closet with a large variety clothing I could choose for specific shoots, in addition to what the models bring.  I'd also make sure to put in a clean dressing room.  Best of luck to you!

Aug 21 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

bex

cool. thanks guys.... this is a list of what I've currently got in mind:
4x bowens esprit 500
1x 1.4m by 2m soft box
1x smaller soft box
1x floor fan
1x barn doors
1x snoot
1x honeycomb
1x black cotton velvet background
1x white vinyl background
1x 1.5mx2m perspex sheet
a selection of props........ possibly a "dressing up box" lol
radio shouldnt be a problem.....
probably a couple of other paper backgrounds.......
lots of fabric backgrounds... I've already got them
reflectors.... big polystyrene standing blocks (abour 3m high)

anything I've forgotten?

Aug 21 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

what's your budget?

Aug 21 05 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

bex

well I'm not going into the realms of high glide stuff.... but I'll stretch to most things I want. all of the above is covered or bought already.... what did you have in mind?

Aug 21 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

bex wrote:
anything I've forgotten?

flags/gobos, some smaller reflectors.  Of course you can cut up some of the foamcore but you may want to get a variety of materials, silver, gold, black, maybe some translucents for scrims etc.

A bunch of stands for reflectors/flags etc. in addition to the obvious light stands.  And clamps.

Do you have umbrellas for the lights?  Might want to get more grids.  They come in a variety of spreads and from what i've seen are fairly cheap.

A selection of gels.

Posing boxes and platform.

Not necessary but would add some variety are a beauty dish, strip domes, ring flash.

Aug 21 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

bex

the studio is 550cm x 570cm.... with 350cm height.

not ideal but would you say it was workable??

Aug 22 05 10:55 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

bex wrote:

Maybe a little off topic, but...
Didn't we, here in America, get stuck with the British strange measurement system (feet,inches,...).
...and now a Brit is using cm's and I don't know how long that is sad

John

Aug 22 05 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

bex wrote:

To be honest, it is workable, and I'd be realtively satisfied if it were my own place at my home, but I wouldn't rent a studio that was not at least 20 feet in one dimension (...not height tongue).

So this would be the absolute minimum length--I'd probably find myself pressed against the back wall a lot; the width is attractive, though.

Aug 22 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Allan wrote:
...I don't know how long that is sad

Donchya love the information age?

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Aug 22 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

20 feet would be the minimum.

Most of the time I am 3 to 15 feet from the model, who is 6 feet from the backdrop.

Aug 22 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'd definitely add more grip equipment.  A couple booms for lights, mini-booms and grip heads/superclamps for hanging reflectors and flags, plus counterweights for them.  If you can afford it, even a single Bogen SuperBoom with the articulated head - that can be invaluable when you've got a large softbox hung overhead.  Sandbags for safing and stands or keeping them from rolling.  Blackout drapes for any windows.  Apple boxes for raising the models, if necessary, and a good ladder for the photographer.  A stereo that can take an iPod as input.  Wooden clothespins for attaching gels to lights.  A full set of honeycomb grids, from 10 degree to 40 degree.  One or two large umbrellas, preferably something like the 60" white Photoflex.  A beauty dish for one of your lights.  Double your quantity on barn doors.  Skip the white vinyl backdrop and just get several rolls of white seamless, plus black, grey, and possibly chroma-key green.  A good makeup mirror with its own (very even) lighting, and preferably a private changing area, even if it's just a moveable screen.  Excellent air conditioning. 

That'd be my wishlist for even a small rental space, at least!  smile

Aug 23 05 09:59 am Link