Forums > Photography Talk > Minolta MD lenses on manual-focus Nikon?

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I have four Minolta MD lenses from 1979 and 1980. I am considering upgrading to a contemporary manual-focus 35mm SLR body after an untimely shutter-curtain separation in my XG-7.

As a stop-gap, I have ordered an X-700 body from keh.com, which offers several improvements over the XG-7.

During the course of research, I discovered that Nikon currently makes the manual-focus FM3A.

One of my Lenses is a Tamron Adaptall II, which could easily be converted to Nikon F-mount via a new Adaptall. The others are Minolta MD mounts.

Is there a practical Minolta MD lens to Nikon F mount adapter available? Since the FM3A is not an AF camera, hopefully this should be more practical.

Are there any other currently-made MF SLR bodies that I should consider?

Aug 21 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

If there was a way to mount the MD lenses on a Nikon it would only work for close ups.

Aug 21 05 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I have come to accept the fact that the only use for 3 of the lenses is on old MF Minolta bodies, which are readily available on the used market.

The one with the Adaptall-2 should be easily fittable to a Nikon body by getting a Nikon-F Adaptall (Am I correct?)

I just ordered an "excellent" X-700 body from keh.com to replace my XG-7 that experienced a catastrophic shutter curtain failure. If that works out well, maybe it would be good to order another as a spare...

Aug 21 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

EG Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

There's no Minolta MD to Nikon F mount adapter that I'm aware of, in any case I don't think it would work because you'd never be able to achieve infinity focus.  The distance between the lens mounting flange and the film plane on a Minolta is 43.5 mm, whereas on the Nikon it's 46.5 mm.

You'll have better luck mounting a Pentax screw mount lens on a Contax body because they have identical flange-to-film plane distances of 45.5 mm, and yes there's an adapter made for this.

Also, since the flange-to-film plane distance on Canon EOS systems is 44.0 mm, there is a special adapter available which allows you to use the Zeiss Contax lenses on EOS bodies.

This is the general rule you have to follow: the FTFP distance of the target body has to be equal to or smaller than the FTFP distance of the body from which you'll borrow the lens.

Aug 22 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Scherer

If you wish to use those old Lenses, pick up a cheap EOS Canon body and eBay has adaptors for almost every system out there for Canon EOS. M42, Canon FD, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, you name it. Canon's body design also allows these adaptors to focus to infinity, which is a plus.

Aug 23 05 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Check Porter's mail order.  If there is such an adapter gizmo, they'll have it.

Aug 23 05 08:09 pm Link