Forums > General Industry > Finding Work

Model

Blue Sky Fish

Reno, Nevada, US

Hello. I'm fairly new, but after browsing the forums, I think I've finally hit the point where I can start to charge for my services. I found women who had smaller ports than me and less experience who were seen as ready to start charging by more experienced models.

So, I don't think I'm too much of a newbie anymore, and I'd like to start making some cash. The thing, I'm not sure how to do that. I still don't know much about the industry other than TFP and lucking into promo work.

I would start charging pretty low, or at least low from what I have read. At 20 or 25 an hour.

I was just wondering if it is appropriate to message photographers and then giving them rates. I feel like it's a little forward, and I'm supposed to wait for photographers to ask me for my rates. However, I need to start making some cash to supplement my income, so I think I need to be a little forward. I am wondering what the best way to do this would be.

Any suggestions? What has worked for you? Or am I still too new to start searching for paid work?

Mar 21 13 02:51 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Look through the casting, travel, and availability sections on MM and see how other models post. I think its crucial to have full-length shots. You have a nice face and that's about all I learned from looking at your portfolio. Good luck!

Mar 21 13 03:02 am Link

Model

Blue Sky Fish

Reno, Nevada, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
Look through the casting, travel, and availability sections on MM and see how other llamas post. I think its crucial to have full-length shots. You have a nice face and that's about all I learned from looking at your portfolio. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. You make a really good point. I'm going to put a couple more full body photos in my port, now. smile

Mar 21 13 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

My opinion only:  (Random order)

...  You have the right to ask for whatever compensation you want, but the photographers have the right to accept, decline, or make a counteroffer.

...  Some photographers are mean to models who ask to get paid.  Feel free to ignore them.

...  Personally, I think it is not appropriate to send rates to someone who hasn't asked for them.  It is sufficient to say "I'm looking for paid work, and my rates are low" (or some such), but don't send rates unless you are asked.  Photographers tend to get all huffy & butthurt if that happens.

...  A modeling business is 10% modeling & 90% business.  A key business skill is "negotiation".  Learn more about negotiations.  Fortunately, there are tons of self-help books, adult education classes, and even web sites on the topic.

...  Networking is very important.  Get to know the paying photographers in your area.  Network with your local models.  Not only will that help you get considered for jobs, but your local community is your best bet for getting references on potential photographers.

Good luck.

Mar 21 13 07:19 am Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

My advice would be to look at the models in your area who are being paid - not the ones who say 'I'm looking for paid work only' but the ones who are actually working. Anyone can say they are charging, but that doesn't mean anyone is paying.
Take a close look at their portfolios, their model mayhem profiles, their facebook fan pages, whatever - and if you see yourself as one the same or better level as them, then scout around to find the going rate in your area and base your price around that. I will say that a large amount, if not the majority of, paid work for freelance models in nude.
Modelling professionally as a full-time freelancer is a 24/7 job. When you aren't shooting, you need to be networking, making contacts, attending meetups and building relationships with the other models in your community.
Good luck on your journey - if you want an in-depth critique, post in the critique forum smile

As for messaging photographers with your rates, you will probably end up with a lot of nasty messages back - you may get some work out of it though, so it is up to you. A word to the wise - modelling is not a great way to suppliment your income quickly. Depending on your area and demand, it can take years and years of solid work to get to a point where people are willing to pay regularly, and most models will never make it that far. I know that sounds negative, and I am not saying it deffinately applies to you- I have no idea what demand for models is like in your area or what your skills as a self-promoter are, but you should go into this with your eyes open.

Mar 21 13 07:37 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You will find very little (if any) paid jobs with the current restrictions mentioned in your profile and your stats.

Mar 21 13 07:46 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't comment on your work because this isn't the critique forum.

All I can say is if you want to start drumming up paid work is to post an availability notice and network. Participate in the forums, post on the front page, tag photographers in your area letting them know you exist.

Do things that will make more people see your profile. The more people that see your profile - the more likely someone will eventually come upon it and want to pay you.

Mar 21 13 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

NicoleNudes wrote:
I can't comment on your work because this isn't the critique forum.

All I can say is if you want to start drumming up paid work is to post an availability notice and network. Participate in the forums, post on the front page, tag photographers in your area letting them know you exist.

Do things that will make more people see your profile. The more people that see your profile - the more likely someone will eventually come upon it and want to pay you.

Honestly, I don't know of ANY models on MM who are consistently paid from MM, for fully clothed shoots only.  They may be out there, but it's very rare.  Not EVER paid, but consistently.

There are just too many wonderful models who will do trade shoots for those things.    The best way I can think of, outside of agencies, to get paid fully clothed work is to network with local businesses for small scale ads.  I'm not sure it can work, and usually it's not models who do that, but there is a tiny chance.

Mar 21 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

As far as marketing here, experienced professional art nude and glamour nude models still get a lot of people who are offended by them contacting people seeking paid work.

You could try an "availability notice."  If the rates are low enough (one girl I saw was asking $15/hr) some photographers might well prefer it to the obligations that come with trade shoots.

Mar 21 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
You will find very little (if any) paid jobs with the current restrictions mentioned in your profile and your stats.

+1

Mar 21 13 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

^^ +1. Perhaps drop by the critique forum so that people can help you get started with port suggestions that may help you in the direction of trying to attain work. good luck

Mar 21 13 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ash Photographic

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom

You're 5'4" and won't shoot nudes, implied or lingerie.

What exactly are you hoping to be paid for? hmm

Ash.

Mar 21 13 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Your portfolio only shows 2 shoots, no full length, glamour, or other shots that clearly show your body.  Finding paid work will be much easier if you have a broad variety of images, show more glam and swimwear images, and consider nudes.

Mar 21 13 12:35 pm Link

Model

Blue Sky Fish

Reno, Nevada, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
My opinion only:  (Random order)

...  You have the right to ask for whatever compensation you want, but the photographers have the right to accept, decline, or make a counteroffer.

...  Some photographers are mean to models who ask to get paid.  Feel free to ignore them.

...  Personally, I think it is not appropriate to send rates to someone who hasn't asked for them.  It is sufficient to say "I'm looking for paid work, and my rates are low" (or some such), but don't send rates unless you are asked.  Photographers tend to get all huffy & butthurt if that happens.

...  A modeling business is 10% modeling & 90% business.  A key business skill is "negotiation".  Learn more about negotiations.  Fortunately, there are tons of self-help books, adult education classes, and even web sites on the topic.

...  Networking is very important.  Get to know the paying photographers in your area.  Network with your local models.  Not only will that help you get considered for jobs, but your local community is your best bet for getting references on potential photographers.

Good luck.

Thank you! This is all very solid advice. I wasn't going to go around discussing my rates or demanding money, but I was wondering if it was ok to even mention that I was looking for paid work if I was the one approaching the photographer.

Mar 21 13 04:57 pm Link

Model

Blue Sky Fish

Reno, Nevada, US

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. This has given me a much better idea of how to conduct myself professionally, market myself, and how to develop my port.

Mar 21 13 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jaimie Crush wrote:

Thank you! This is all very solid advice. I wasn't going to go around discussing my rates or demanding money, but I was wondering if it was ok to even mention that I was looking for paid work if I was the one approaching the photographer.

You first post was correct, if you are approaching photographers and asking for pay it is forward and more likely to get you ignored now and going forward.  If and when there comes a time that you are being considered for payed work you will have stacked the deck against yourself.

Mar 21 13 05:10 pm Link

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ash Photographic wrote:

Ash.

Agreed. There is some commercial work that is lenient at 5'4, especially on MM.
Definitely post a local availability notice and check casting calls for TF.
If you want to start having rates, I would not directly contact photographers pushing rates in their face. Simply post on your page that you have rates and that a photographer can PM you to receive them. You can also post your rates on your profile. I recommend not starting out too steep.

Mar 22 13 12:44 pm Link

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jaimie Crush wrote:

If you are approaching the photographer to work with them, I would suggest not telling them you are looking to be paid. If they want to consider paying you to work with you, they will be the first to contact you. A model contacting a photographer is almost always going to be on a TF basis.

Mar 22 13 12:45 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Ash Photographic wrote:

Ash.

Why do yall always say that!? I've done fully clothed paid work before and sure many other Models have.

Mar 23 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Colorado Model Amber wrote:
Why do yall always say that!?

Probably because it's true in 99.99% of cases.

I've done fully clothed paid work before and sure many other Models have.

There are always exceptions. And for agency standard models, sure. But that's not the OP.

She won't even shoot lingerie and has a long rant about tacky nudes in her profile. The likelihood of anybody with her stats, limitations and attitude getting paid via MM is vanishingly small.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Mar 23 13 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Why do yall always say that!?

Probably because it's true in 99.99% of cases.

There are always exceptions. And for agency standard models, sure. But that's not the OP.

She won't even shoot lingerie and has a long rant about tacky nudes in her profile. The likelihood of anybody with her stats, limitations and attitude getting paid via MM is vanishingly small.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

+ 93487348 He said it!

Mar 23 13 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Paid for what? I don't know anyone who pays a 5'4" non agency represented model, for full clothed artistic shoots. You might want to lose the condescension in your bio about nude models.....it sounds like you're butthurt and too chicken to do them yourself, and makes you sound difficult and negative to work with.

Mar 23 13 03:21 pm Link

Model

Sierra McKenzie

Seattle, Washington, US

I wouldn't message photographers with your rate unless they message you wanting to shoot.

If they ask your rates, give them. If they want to set up a trade shoot and they won't add anything to your current portfolio, then offer your rates.

Posting an availability notice is a place you can seek paid work, but also casting calls.

But yeah, I'd advise against cold emailing.

Mar 24 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i think the way some models handle it is to start responding to TF requests from photographers with "here are my rates" (some may flip out but others may hire you). you can also changed your status to "paid assignments only". and some put their rates in their profile. others have that obnoxious giant "NO TFP" image.

hitting up photographers directly for paid work could get you some nasty responses. but i've had lots of models do it to me.

Mar 24 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

the feeling amongst the photographers i know is that one doesn't need to pay for clothed work.

for my part i paid for lingerie once and then after that it was only for nudes (or at least implied/covered nudes).

i'm not saying clothed models don't get paid (or don't deserve to get paid) but that doesn't usually seem to be the case around here, at least for the shoots between photographers and models.

I've done fully clothed paid work before and sure many other Models have.

Mar 24 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Jaimie, find the best photogs in your area and beg them to trade with you.  Have them fill your port with not just good but EPIC photos.  That might lead to pay works.

Mar 24 13 05:40 pm Link