Forums > General Industry > Model Agency using MUA work with out credit

Makeup Artist

Debra Kelly Makeup

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Heres the deal..did an amazing shoot TFP everyone nailed their role. Pictures turned out brilliant. Model gets signed to agency and they use 2 pieces of your work for her PF. Photographer gets credit ..but I don't and I did makeup/styling... your thoughts please im a bit annoyed.

Mar 23 13 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

DKM- Debra Kelly Makeup wrote:
Heres the deal..did an amazing shoot TFP everyone nailed their role. Pictures turned out brilliant. Model gets signed to agency and they use 2 pieces of your work for her PF. Photographer gets credit ..but I don't and I did makeup/styling... your thoughts please im a bit annoyed.

contact all involved and inquire. This could solve the issue or at least answer your question, good luck.

Mar 23 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

I have never seen H/MU credits on images that real agencies use on there websites or in models books.

But, every now and them I have seen them on blogs/FB pages....sometimes

Mar 23 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

faltered

The MUA's and Stylists are not going to be credited just because a photo is being used in a models portfolio. In fact the photographer usually isn't credited in a photo used for portfolio purposes unless it's posted on the agencies blog etc. The photographer owns the copyright so they will usually post it as "jane doe by john doe" or new film on "jane doe shot by john doe"...

The rest of the team usually wont show in printed credits unless it's published and the agency is republishing or posting a tear sheet or otherwise published piece.

Mar 23 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

It's extremely rare for MUA or other stylists to get credits in an agency model's portfolio.  If you expect this you will simply be very disappointed. The agency and their clients have no reason to care about styling credits.  Your focus should be on promoting yourself, doing great work, and getting recommendations for paid work from photographer's and models you work with.  Making waves about model portfolio credits simply shows your inexperience.

Mar 24 13 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Agencies don't credit anyone that was a part of the shoot.... Usually the photographer only gets credited if they have their name on the corner of a photo and it's used on the Agencies website but even that is rare.

Unless they are using the photos on their facebook or blog but even that doesn't mean they have to credit you. Usually only the photographer gets credited on those as well unless the photographer says can you please credit my team and they give the info.

It's life hmm

Mar 24 13 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Agree with all that posted before me.  Agencies don't care you did the shoot for TF.  It is a courtesy that they give the photographer credit.  Agencies have no obligation to credit anyone really, you have to just consider it a great piece for your book and hope if the agency likes what you do that they will recommend you to other photographers for paid work.

Mar 24 13 07:55 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

I say sent the agency a note model (her name) you did the make up and more info about you and let them know who you are and what you do maybe you will get some work from it.
L2

Mar 24 13 08:01 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

A legit agency does not credit the MUA usually.  Sometimes they credit the photographer.

Mar 24 13 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Yosh Studio wrote:
I have never seen H/MU credits on images that real agencies use on there websites or in models books.

+1

It's rare that a photographer gets a credit on an agency website, let alone the MUA!

What you need to remember, OP, is that agencies are only interested in promoting their models - anything else is just noise for them.

Be thankful you got some good images from the shoot and that the agency likes them enough to use them.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Mar 24 13 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Heres the deal..did an amazing shoot TFP everyone nailed their role. Pictures turned out brilliant. llama gets signed to agency and they use 2 pieces of your work for her PF. Photographer gets credit ..but I don't and I did makeup/styling... your thoughts please im a bit annoyed.

Use the images as a means to go into the agency and introduce yourself.  You might get placed on their "approved" list and that might be a good thing in the long run.

Mar 24 13 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I've never seen a real agency credit anyone on the photos except the model and themselves.

Mar 24 13 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
+1

It's rare that a photographer gets a credit on an agency website, let alone the MUA!

What you need to remember, OP, is that agencies are only interested in promoting their models - anything else is just noise for them.

Be thankful you got some good images from the shoot and that the agency likes them enough to use them.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

+1 really surprised they credited the photographer.  What is more important is you appear to have a good relationship with the photographer,  the one that hires you later for work.

Mar 24 13 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Sharon

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

If it's for her portfolio then it makes sense you aren't credited.  Her portfolio is about her, and yours is about you.  The people looking at her portfolio are looking for a model, not a makeup artist.  Her agency has no interest in selling your skills, only the skills of those they represent and can make money off of.

But if your lucky, the model may recommend you to photographers she works with or to other models.

Mar 24 13 02:22 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Atelier Benson

Detroit, Michigan, US

Use a link to the agencies site to sell yourself/

This is a no brainer. Use this to your advantage.

Mar 24 13 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's kind of nice to read a thread on MM about modeling agencies where all the responses are pretty much on the nose.

Mar 24 13 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Know Idea

Richard Dubois wrote:
It's kind of nice to read a thread on MM about modeling agencies where all the responses are pretty much on the nose.

Yep! But then again all those posting are ones that have shown they know what they are talking about. (yourself included,  Mr. Dubois.)

Mar 24 13 03:42 pm Link

Model

Josie Lee

San Diego, California, US

Robert Jewett wrote:
A legit agency does not credit the MUA usually.  Sometimes they credit the photographer.

+1

I do sympathize with the OP, but all the agencies
I've been with never put the MUA or styling credits.
Only a few credited photographers.

Maybe you could contact the agency and see if
there is an opportunity there to work with more
photographers that they test with?

Mar 24 13 03:55 pm Link