Forums > Model Colloquy > How to calm some seriously angry skin? :(

Model

EvaScarlet

Los Angeles, California, US

So of course, the week that I have 5 shoots, my skin decides to freak the fuck out... sad

My skin has always been exceptionally dry- even as a teen- and I more or less made it through high school without ever, ever having acne. Fast forward to about age 24, and I suddenly started breaking out. It was incredibly frustrating! Also very hard to treat, as any sort of drying treatment made my (already very dry) skin just peel off. About a year ago, I got on Nuva Ring, and a marvelous side effect was that my skin improved. A month away from being 28, I thought my skin and I were A-OK.

But now, this week...yikes. Several spots, and they're angry and red and raw. I tried dabbing on some salicylic acid gel stuff for a few nights...and now I just have angry, red, raw spots with the skin peeling off around them.

I am a beauty to behold.

I know that it'll ultimately just turn into a skillfully applied makeup + photoshop thing, but it'd still be nice to do anything I can to improve the situation beforehand. (I don't really know where this came from, either...unless it's just pure stress and exhaustion. Been running ragged lately...to the point where I finally got back from a 2 hr commute to a gig on Saturday, came home, sat down, spontaneously fell asleep, and woke up 17 hours later. Yikes.)

Any ideas on the skin thing?

Mar 26 13 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Sometimes all you can do is ...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ltw38Mo_-F8/SP3hRoC0DKI/AAAAAAAAAuI/2h-utwajRsI/s200/DIFLI038.jpg

... and let nature take it's course.

Studio36

Mar 27 13 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Google eczema, look at images.

If it might be it, any decent dermatologist can fix you up pretty easy.

Mar 27 13 01:07 am Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I'd say go see a dermatologist or at least an esthetician.

Mar 27 13 01:32 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Cherrystone wrote:

Yikes (looked at pics)- thankfully, I don't think it's anything that bad...

I think the dryness is probably a result of low fat in the diet, and- at least when I lived in Vegas- the desert climate. The acne spots are (as far as I can tell?) just garden-variety acne...

A very close friend of mine has eczema, and mine doesn't look like what she has. (Sure, I know there can probably be varying degrees or maybe different varieties...but from what I can tell, that doesn't seem to be it?)

Thanks for the suggestion, though...

Mar 27 13 01:53 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Babalon Salome wrote:
I'd say go see a dermatologist or at least an esthetician.

I would love to see a dermatologist, if I ever have health insurance again! For now, unfortunately, a trip out of pocket is out of my budget... (And if I had a random windfall, I'd have to put it toward dentist!)

Mar 27 13 01:55 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

studio36uk wrote:
Sometimes all you can do is ...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ltw38Mo_-F8/SP3hRoC0DKI/AAAAAAAAAuI/2h-utwajRsI/s200/DIFLI038.jpg

... and let nature take it's course.

Studio36

Sometimes all you can do is...greet the photographer with a whip in one hand and a chair in the other, and say "IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY SKIN I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL BEAT YOU WITH THIS CHAIR!!!!!!!"?

Sounds like a plan.

Mar 27 13 01:57 am Link

Photographer

LightAndShadows

Hanford, California, US

Cherrystone wrote:

Also google psoriasis.

Either way, you may want to see a dermatologist if the condition continues. { edit oops saw your no insurance comments, guess I had the reply window open too long before hitting send }

Maybe you've just over-dried your skin ( between climate and the acne drying med).  Try moisturizing for a bit, and see if that calms down the winter dryness.

Mar 27 13 02:07 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Looks like what you want it a quick fix. I heard from an MUA once that breaking a liquid gel Tylenol capsule and putting the liquid over the acne might reduce the redness and irritation. Never tried it, had no need to but it's not going to hurt to try smile

Mar 27 13 02:19 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

LightAndShadows wrote:
Also google psoriasis.

Either way, you may want to see a dermatologist if the condition continues. { edit oops saw your no insurance comments, guess I had the reply window open too long before hitting send }

Maybe you've just over-dried your skin ( between climate and the acne drying med).  Try moisturizing for a bit, and see if that calms down the winter dryness.

Eh, it's been very dry for as long as I can remember...years and years (like, at least 15). Consistent use of heavy moisturizer does help, but it's just dry skin. Not a result of recent topical acne meds or weather.

Mar 27 13 02:26 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Miroslava Svoboda wrote:
Looks like what you want it a quick fix. I heard from an MUA once that breaking a liquid gel Tylenol capsule and putting the liquid over the acne might reduce the redness and irritation. Never tried it, had no need to but it's not going to hurt to try smile

Thanks!

Mar 27 13 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Chris Masoner

Clayton, North Carolina, US

EvaScarlet wrote:
Sometimes all you can do is...greet the photographer with a whip in one hand and a chair in the other, and say "IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY SKIN I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL BEAT YOU WITH THIS CHAIR!!!!!!!"?

Sounds like a plan.

Haha I love this comment! If we had signatures at the bottom of our posts, I would totally steal this from you ^.^

Unfortunately, I do not come baring any real bits of constructive solutions for you. However, from personal experience I can say pretty much for sure that you are not describing psoriasis nor egsima. Also, this issue of yours could very well just be a change in hormonal levels. Not saying this specific reason (that I am about to mention) is the cause, but for example when my wife approaches that time of the month her levels abuse the heck out of me in a very similar way.

Alo Vera and a deep pore clensing cloth help in my case.

But then again, the beauty if photoshop is a click here and a click there and no one will ever be able to tell that there was anything wrong in the first place.

Good luck!

Mar 27 13 02:33 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

I'm convinced the adult-onset acne I had before was completely a hormonal thing, since it miraculously cleared up shortly after getting on birth control (which was a fabulously unexpected side effect- I had gotten on birth control for...birth control...not skin issues).

And for the most part, I never have any acne/redness/issues any more. My skin is dry, but not problematically so. It's just the way it's been most of my life. It's particularly bad right now because I've been trying to treat the breakout.

Not sure where this sudden, random bout of several acne spots has come from...unless it's just the recent extra stress and lack of sleep. Any other time, I'd just shrug and think, "huh, that sucks"...but the shoots have made me pay more attention to it.

I was mainly just trying to come up with any options for a quick fix for this week. Eventually, I'm sure the spots will clear up, and my skin will remain dry as usual, and I'll go about my routine...

Mar 27 13 02:35 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Chris Masoner wrote:

Haha I love this comment! If we had signatures at the bottom of our posts, I would totally steal this from you ^.^

Unfortunately, I do not come baring any real bits of constructive solutions for you. However, from personal experience I can say pretty much for sure that you are not describing psoriasis nor egsima. Also, this issue of yours could very well just be a change in hormonal levels. Not saying this specific reason (that I am about to mention) is the cause, but for example when my wife approaches that time of the month her levels abuse the heck out of me in a very similar way.

Alo Vera and a deep pore clensing cloth help in my case.

But then again, the beauty if photoshop is a click here and a click there and no one will ever be able to tell that there was anything wrong in the first place.

Good luck!

lol, I grant you the usage of my quote for your imaginary signature smile

Mar 27 13 02:37 am Link

Model

Christinare

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I have the same problem with really dry skin. When I get zits, I can't usually use regular zit medication like salicylic acid very much. And the one time I used something with benzoyl peroxide in it I wound up with what looked like chemical burns all over my face. OUCH.

There are a lot of face moisturizers with salicylic acid in them. I use this on the zitty areas, and regular moisturizer on the rest of my face. It helps clear up the redness, without drying out the skin too much.

Mar 27 13 08:28 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Cortisone cream.

Mar 27 13 09:09 am Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Slather yourself with a good moisturizer, drink nothing but water, and a dab of plain old white toothpaste on any zits will get rid of them fast.  My skin has been getting much drier since moving to KY and having another child, so I feel your pain on the super dry skin that gets chapped and peels at the slightest provocation.

I love Mary Kay for my skin care, but it can be pricey, and not everyone likes it as well as I do.  If my skin gets really, really dry, I'll cover my freshly washed face with cold cream or heavy cream lotion, let it sit for twenty minutes or so and then wipe the excess off with a warm washcloth.  (Mary Kay makes an overnight emollient cream that is amazing).  I use heavy-duty body moisturizer right after the bath, and that helps a lot as well.  I think the one I hve right now is the Suave Advanced Therapy.

Mar 27 13 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Do you drink enough water?

Also putting a pot of simmering water with herbs/flowers on the stove fora few hours is a very inexpensive way to humidify a room.

(And it smells nice)

Mar 27 13 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

EvaScarlet wrote:

Yikes (looked at pics)- thankfully, I don't think it's anything that bad...

I think the dryness is probably a result of low fat in the diet, and- at least when I lived in Vegas- the desert climate. The acne spots are (as far as I can tell?) just garden-variety acne...

A very close friend of mine has eczema, and mine doesn't look like what she has. (Sure, I know there can probably be varying degrees or maybe different varieties...but from what I can tell, that doesn't seem to be it?)

Thanks for the suggestion, though...

Eczema will come in many varying degrees and appearances. I would imagine images popping up might be worse case scenarios.

My skin has been dry since I was a kid, and I didn't help things with a decades long habit. wink

Out of the clear blue, that leprosy shit started on me a couple years back. No home treatments or over the counter remedies would touch it.

One visit to the dermatologist, and within two days it had practically disappeared. It can be like whacking gophers though. wink

Pray it isn't psoriasis.

Mar 27 13 01:24 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I haven't read this entire thread, but I've read enough... I'm a professional skincare consultant, so if you want and feel comfortable in doing so, feel free to take a few snapshots (one of your whole face, sans makeup, and one kind of closer-up of the acne), and send them, along with the basics of what you're using on your skin and eating, to me. PM me here for my email address. I won't charge, I promise! wink

I totally understand how horrifying it is to get a random breakout right before a huge shoot, or several in a row. (My skin behaves similarly.) Hopefully we will be able to find a way to at least lessen the situation!

Good luck! smile

Mar 29 13 01:56 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Eczema comes in different forms and the kind that I and my daughter both get look a bit like acne. Over the counter cortisone creams may help.

There are 3 ways to hydrate your skin:From what you put in your body, what you put on your body, and what you have in the air. Drink plenty of water, moisturize over damp skin, and use a humidifier.

Apr 01 13 01:04 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Miroslava Svoboda wrote:

Aspirin, not Tylenol. Aspirin is similar chemically to salicylic acid, which is an acne treatment.

Apr 01 13 01:10 pm Link

Model

Affinity Finch

Torpoint, England, United Kingdom

I have fairly bad excemaon my hands feet back and face and the docs have given me so many creams but I can honestly say all they did was make me feel oilly and disgusting, YUCK! The only thing that worked for me is a mixture of the pill (I wasn't on it for my skin either) only drinking water and one big glass of cranberry juice in the morning and bathing in an emollient solution. I cant use spot creams because they dry my skin out so badly my face cheeks look like a babboons ass! tongue

Apr 01 13 01:29 pm Link

Model

Deleted111

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Manuka honey mask!! Your skin right now sounds similar to mine. Manuka honey is raw honey and it moisturizes skin really well, but ALSO has a huge amount of natural antibiotic affects and works great applied topically. Lots of articles about it on the internet, it really worked wonders for my dry skin w/ breakouts

Apr 01 13 01:36 pm Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I have both eczema and psoriasis. I don't see them much anymore, thankfully. I'm also sensitive to like, everything.

My tricks:
Apple Cider Vinegar is good for almost any skin issue. Rashes. Burns. Bug Bites. Acne. Dandruff. Ring worm.
Aloe Vera soothes and reduces inflammation.
Florosone cream (I get it at Whole Foods) works similar to cortisone for most things.
Oatmeal baths are always your friend. As is honey. As is mashed up avocado. As is chamomile if you aren't allergic.

NEVER use any skin product off the shelf, unless you know every single ingredient and how you react to that particular ingredient.
Never overdo it. Use only one or two things on your skin at any time for a few days, if no changes are observed, try something else.

Drink tea with ginger in it. Make turmeric milk (with almond milk) and drink that. Avoid eating dairy products and refined sugar. Drink lots of water.

Apr 01 13 01:41 pm Link

Model

Anastacia Nikolaeva

Brooklyn, New York, US

Teaspoon of turmeric in... milk, smoothie. yogurt, chai, etc. Once a day.

Apr 01 13 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Alan Mross

Middleton, Wisconsin, US

Try not eating wheat to clear up your skin.

Apr 03 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

Seneca Thompson

Anaheim, California, US

Put honey or mashed avocado on your face smile That will help the dryness.

Apr 03 13 06:25 pm Link

Model

Kat Mae Model

York, Pennsylvania, US

It could be hormonal. Dairy and cheeses can cause acne flare ups as well. You need to kill the bacteria on your face (benzoyl peroxide products) and then treat the existing spots of a topical treatment (sulfur products work best), and then heal with an oil-free moisturiser. Boscia, Murad, and DDf make great products.

Apr 03 13 10:08 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I had a very upset skin a day before an important shoot, arrived kind of embarassed... the make up artist applied some sort of cream before she applied my make up (applied the cream and then did my hair first, the cream needs to dry a bit, it was also quite greasy and rich). and my skin looked SO much better! Still had spots, but there was NO redness, NO dry bits NO irritation, no nothing. just tiny skincolored bumps left.

I asked her what it was and where she got it, and she bought it in this little shop in france (figures...) but it's basically something that is also recommended for burnvictims. It just soothes the skin, and there are no chemicals in there to uspet it more. Perhaps look for something like that?

camomile can also be nice... try dabbing a soaked teabag of camomile tea on your skin for a while before you go to bed.

Apr 04 13 07:41 am Link

Model

Scoria

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

EvaScarlet wrote:

Sounds like a plan.

Haha! I like the way you think.

I've always had skin problems, and my best suggestion is let it take its course. Nothing will make it go away over night, so make sure you clean off all makeup before bed, moisturize well, and once the moisturizer has sunk into your skin, apply a tea tree oil toner to your skin. The toner will take down the redness and help smooth out your complexion, and the moisturizer will help prevent the peeling.

Hope this helps smile

Apr 04 13 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

4point0

This has worked for me in the past.

Get some calendula cream (find the highest calendula percentage you can) and slather it on 2X/day. That will help with the dryness and sensitivity.

Get some white or green tea. Steep it then freeze the tea bags. Lay down and put as many bags as you need on the breakout(s) for 15 minutes at a time, no more than 1X/hour. 2-3X/day should be all you need. You'll see a huge improvement in 24 hours. Good luck!

Apr 04 13 02:04 pm Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

If you are serious about improving, do this:

for 3 days don't eat anything with high or moderate carbs in it. Carbs promote inflamation. When you remove carbs from your diet, the inflammation will go away. You will be amazed.

Eat: eggs, green veggies (cucs, asparagus, spinach, celery, avocados etc) meat, fish, poultry, radishes, greek yogurts, sour cream, bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, almond milk, butter, almond butter, coconut oil and olive oil.

Apr 04 13 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

1. Take Rachel up on her free diagnosis. If you have a medical problem she may recognize it quickly and provide a home remedy or just tell you to see a doc for meds.
2. Avoid 'moisturizers' with mineral oil.
3. Shea butter. Shea butter. Shea butter.

Good luck.

Apr 04 13 03:41 pm Link

Model

Deleting todayforever

Tallahassee, Florida, US

It may not be a "quick fix" but if you really want your skin to be flawless, invest in a trip to the dermatologist. My skin was so great until this last year, it got so ANNOYING. I finally paid $40 to see the derm, it was quick and they prescribed me some wonderful stuff! If you have insurance the medicine will cost around $30 or so. It starts working in about a week.
They'll give you something that suits your type of skin, and possibly even give you a great moisturizer. For dry times I got a $50 face lotion from ULTA, it's the DDF brand. I love it, though I don't think I'll be able to splurge on face lotions again tongue
Anyway, if you have skin trouble and you need flawless skin, it's best to invest more money on the good stuff and a dermatologist

Apr 04 13 07:33 pm Link

Model

Logan Vandekieft

Charlottesville, Virginia, US

I swear by aloe gel and shea butter...thats the only combination i've found that works for me. I use Queen Helene mint julep mask and that cleans without drying out. Hope those help :-/

Apr 04 13 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Play it music?? Some Mozart should be soothing!:-))

Apr 04 13 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Suyama

Seattle, Washington, US

I didn't read everyone's reply but what most people don't realize is that your skin mirrors inner conditions. I've found that a high percentage of psoriasis and other skin conditions are caused from certain things in the diet and/or certain things irritating the intestinal lining. Sounds weird, but the body is sometimes weird and often the connections seem far fetched. (Kind of like most serotonin in the body is found in the intestines, not the brain). 

The other thing about dryness conditions is a chronic lack of hydration (good book; Your Bodies Many Cries for Water). You need lots, many health practitioners recommend half your weight in oz per day. If you weigh 100 lbs, then that's 50 oz of water - not tea, not coffee, not Coke. Just water. As we get older our sense of thirst for water diminishes which is not good. Most people wait until they "feel" thirsty but they are way passed when they should be drinking it.

Also on the whole moisture thing, if you don't supplement with fish oil or such (Krill, Cod Liver Oil, Salmon Oil, etc) you should consider it. Or chai seeds, or flax seeds which are alternate Omega 3 sources.

Apr 04 13 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

mgco

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

if it's not your diet (& hydration), then it could be hormonal; since this has been on a longer term basis and especially when the pills 'helped'. best to ask your derma to get to the root cause of it... hope this clears up soon for you.

Apr 04 13 08:16 pm Link

Model

--Ishtar--

Heerlen, Limburg, Netherlands

Most MUAs worth their salt have a bag of tricks anyway. It sometimes helps to let them know beforehand, so they can prepare their kit accordingly.
I had two rather angry pimples on a shoot once, let the MUA know (ETA: obviously before the shoot), and she was A-OK about it.

Apr 05 13 02:15 pm Link