Forums > Model Colloquy > Model's Hair - Levels of Attachment?

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

Level 3.

I had a pretty short haircut in the past, and not only did it make me look I was 12 and boyish, but my neck was always cold. Combine that with my partner preferring me with long hair and my own aesthetic tastes for women being longer haired, ...

... well, long hair it is for me smile

Heck, I don't even dye my hair... it's healthy, thick, and the color is too nice for me to want to mess with it.

Apr 01 13 09:27 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I'd say I'm a 1.5 ish.

I won't cut/color my hair for no reason/compensation(have to consider marketability and the like), but in the context of a job, I'm very open to changes, as beauty is one of my primary niches.

I've cycled through a range of cuts/colors/wigs/weaves/looks.

I'm not too attached to my hair, and due to my various look changes, I doubt(aside from the general "OMG your hair isn't RED anymore?" freak out 2 years or so ago) anyone else is either big_smile

Apr 01 13 09:40 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

FCPart wrote:
I'm a new photographer who just finished a project on the role of hair in the perceived beauty of women.  I found two beautiful model's who were willing to shave their heads.

As someone who really admires people who are able to pull off drastic makeovers (like shaving your head), I got to thinking: what makes some models unattached to their hair and others very attached?  Remove the potential lost compensation factor from the equation. 

I'm curious as to what others think.  The way I see it, there are three levels of attachment to one's hair:
Level 1 - willing to drastically change styles or shave your head for none or minimal compensation
Level 2 - willing to part with your hair only if the price is significant
Level 3 - not willing to part with your hair for any price.

Which level are you?  I'm Level 2, mostly because I'm not confidant enough to pull off no hair or different color hair.  And I'm not even a woman, or a model.     

Would your level change if you weren't a professional model?

I am level 3.  My hair is long enough to touch my waistband on my pants currently.

Apr 01 13 11:30 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Level 3. It's personal, as in I have a fetish for really long hair both on myself and on others, but it's business, too, as people book me for my hip long hair. If there was a price for me to cut my hair short it would have to be a sum you could buy a nice house for.

Apr 02 13 01:40 am Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

IDiivil wrote:
Level 3.

I had a pretty short haircut in the past, and not only did it make me look I was 12 and boyish, but my neck was always cold. Combine that with my partner preferring me with long hair and my own aesthetic tastes for women being longer haired, ...

... well, long hair it is for me smile

Heck, I don't even dye my hair... it's healthy, thick, and the color is too nice for me to want to mess with it.

That's a great reason to keep long hair - if your hair is healthy and you partner prefers it, why change?  I keep my hair the way my partner likes it.  I basically ask her how she likes it best and I keep it like that.  I don't really care that much how I keep my hair, but I'm a guy. 

Paige, loved your red hair.  You look great with short hair. 

Lea, you look great with long hair.  Some models really look the best with really long hair, and I think you are one of them. 

Not surprisingly, a majority of people seem to be 3's.  Though it seems like if you've gone short and liked it, you are more willing to go all the way. 

How many of you 3's would change your mind if the modeling world emphasized and sought short haired or bald models as opposed to long haired models?   If society's perceptions of beauty with regard to hair length were reversed (if bald woman were thought of the way long haired women currently are), would it make a difference to you?

I wonder how many of our preferences for how we present ourselves are programmed by the societal norm.

Apr 02 13 07:18 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

FCPart wrote:
That's a great reason to keep long hair - if your hair is healthy and you partner prefers it, why change?  I keep my hair the way my partner likes it.  I basically ask her how she likes it best and I keep it like that.  I don't really care that much how I keep my hair, but I'm a guy. 

Paige, loved your red hair.  You look great with short hair. 

Lea, you look great with long hair.  Some models really look the best with really long hair, and I think you are one of them. 

Not surprisingly, a majority of people seem to be 3's.  Though it seems like if you've gone short and liked it, you are more willing to go all the way. 

How many of you 3's would change your mind if the modeling world emphasized and sought short haired or bald models as opposed to long haired models?   If society's perceptions of beauty with regard to hair length were reversed (if bald woman were thought of the way long haired women currently are), would it make a difference to you?

I wonder how many of our preferences for how we present ourselves are programmed by the societal norm.

Well, for some markets/ types, short hair is better, though not for most.

For mine, long hair is better.

So, if MY modeling market changed and short hair or bald was better, I would change it in a heartbeat, regardless of societal standards or visions of what's "prettier." But I'd try to book a hair show so I could make some $$$ off of it. tongue

Actually, even if I wanted shorter hair and was willing to do it for free/ paying to get it done, I would try to book a hair show to either profit from my decision or offset the costs of my new 'do.

Apr 02 13 08:27 am Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

Well, for some markets/ types, short hair is better, though not for most.

For mine, long hair is better.

So, if MY modeling market changed and short hair or bald was better, I would change it in a heartbeat, regardless of societal standards or visions of what's "prettier." But I'd try to book a hair show so I could make some $$$ off of it. tongue

Actually, even if I wanted shorter hair and was willing to do it for free/ paying to get it done, I would try to book a hair show to either profit from my decision or offset the costs of my new 'do.

You are a smart business woman. smile 
I don't think we will ever reach a day where bald is better, for men or women.  There does seem to be a trend in women losing their locks, but most do it to support cancer sufferers rather than as a fashion choice.   

How much do you generally get paid for a hair show? 
I've heard of models getting paid up to $1500 for shaving their head, though I have not paid that much.

Apr 02 13 11:49 am Link

Model

IDiivil

If short hair was preferred over long hair as a whole, I would do it. I have a nice skull shape and have done gelled looks that basically showed what I would look like with super short hair. It was nothing terrible to look at.

I don't think I could shave bald though.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/76032_145932598903403_805709580_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/6710_142524299244233_1096647235_n.jpg

Short hair IDii.

Apr 02 13 01:56 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

K I C K H A M wrote:
It is impossible for me to remove potentially lost income from the equation.

I did a hair show a few years back that took my hair from long to a short androgynous cut with fringe.

My agency and my freelance bookings COMPLETELY fell off.

I suppose I'd be a level 2, but that pay rate would have to be quite significant (10 grand or so), that for all logical purposes that seems closer to a 3.

If I wasn't modeling, I'd be a 1. I chopped all my hair off for locks of love before I started modeling. It was a chin-length cut, and I'd probably be willing to shave my head if I had a good cause or reason.

This.

I did have a Marilyn 'do for a while, and it was AWESOME, but I got almost zero shoots during that time period. >.

Apr 02 13 02:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

AtoZed Creative

Dallas, Texas, US

The hair thing is interesting for me...
I do hair. I love hair. I've had hair and I've lost hair (chemo) so I have varying feelings on it.
When I lost my hair, I was a lot more sad than I thought I would be. I think that it was mostly because it wasn't my doing that lost my hair. The lack of control coupled with the identity that it forced me to live with (cancer patient) was tough.
Now that I've had hair for a year again, I don't have much of it. I just went back to a mohawk (which is a favourite of mine) but because it's curly now it's more like a super pompadour.
I love the possibilities that longer hair may have for me to work with - shoot wise - but there is some great looks that can come from short, too.
Hair can become so many things. It can be an extension of ourselves, a security blanket, a statement and so much more.

In Hindu culture, the believers (men, women and children) have their heads shaved completely in the temple - several times in their lives - because the hair is believed to be so closely tied to vanity and to lose the hair is a humbling experience... which, I can say, is truly a humbling experience.

Apr 02 13 03:20 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

My hair is a big part of my own feelings of the physical beauty of myself, so I would really only part with it for a higher cause such as if for some reason it would save someone's life (unlikely) or something like that. I guess for a million dollars I might as well, but nobody is going to pay me that much to cut it anyway so that is kind of irrelevant. I suppose that makes me a 3.

Apr 02 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've had my hair black, blonde, red, orange, burgundy, silver, white, turquoise, and lilac. I've had my hair down to my waist, and I've also had it as short as mid-neck. Shaving it, though? Eh... limits my options. It'd be neat, but not worth it for me for just one concept to be achieved.

Apr 02 13 07:09 pm Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Probably a 2. I am willing to alter my hairstyle, my day job doesn't give a fuck about it, and how much I'll alter it depends on how much you're paying because:

1: I like my hair the way it is--you have to give me a reason to change it
2: My hair stylist isn't cheap and I don't want it to look bad. My hair is longer than my shoulders, and I have to live with it every day until it grows back, it's going to have to look good the whole time.
3: I don't actually think I look that good bald (been there, done that) though I do look good with the *right* very short haircut, including variations on a mohawk, so see point #2.

Apr 02 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Heather LeStabbityDeath wrote:
Probably a 2. I am willing to alter my hairstyle, my day job doesn't give a fuck about it, and how much I'll alter it depends on how much you're paying because:

1: I like my hair the way it is--you have to give me a reason to change it
2: My hair stylist isn't cheap and I don't want it to look bad. My hair is longer than my shoulders, and I have to live with it every day until it grows back, it's going to have to look good the whole time.
3: I don't actually think I look that good bald (been there, done that) though I do look good with the *right* very short haircut, including variations on a mohawk, so see point #2.

That's interesting.  I would think if you look good with a short haircut, you look good bald.  Must not be the case for everyone.

Apr 03 13 11:23 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

FCPart wrote:

You are a smart business woman. smile 
I don't think we will ever reach a day where bald is better, for men or women.  There does seem to be a trend in women losing their locks, but most do it to support cancer sufferers rather than as a fashion choice.   

How much do you generally get paid for a hair show? 
I've heard of models getting paid up to $1500 for shaving their head, though I have not paid that much.

Depends on the client and how extreme the cuts and colors are. Some are mostly styling, and can pay as low as $200, and the more extreme ones range anywhere from $500-$2500, in my experience. But usually those higher paid ones are for multiple days, so that is a *show* rate rather than a day rate.

Apr 03 13 11:57 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

I am def level 1 I have been through alot of different styles and colors including a mohawk I don't think my level will ever change regardless if I become pro model or not but then again my hair grows really fast usually a year from short to long big_smile

Apr 03 13 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think Emma Watson is an example of someone who is beautiful with all lengths of hair, but looked unbelievable with short hair.  Not everyone can pull that off, but she got a lot of positive attention when she cut her hair. 

http://www.hairpediaclub.com/wp-content … tson-2.jpg

I think if hair grew faster, a lot of models would be more willing to go short or really short.  Unfortunately, the length of time it take to grow from buzzed to should length and longer can take years.  That's just too long for most people.

Apr 03 13 12:29 pm Link

Model

--Ishtar--

Heerlen, Limburg, Netherlands

No. 3
Am a total sucker for long hair. It took me years to grow it that way, and after every cut to a bob or crop (several of the former, one of the latter), the regret was almost instantaneous.
It is a vanity thing, I guess. I don't feel feminine without long hair, and will overcompensate with figure-hugging clothes and make-up when my hair's short. I feel for people who lose their hair due to illnesses; it can't be easy.

Apr 03 13 12:32 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm a level 1.5. I'd do a lot to my hair for a shoot. I am fine with dyes and cuts as long as it looks ok. Husband likes the long hair though

Apr 03 13 01:05 pm Link

Model

n p

New York, New York, US

I'm a 3. Maybe even a 4 now.
The stylists in the industry liked to dub my hair "virgin hair"
I've never dyed it and up until modeling I had never used any heating products.
Just wash and go.

Sure I was kind of bummed as a teenager that I wasn't ballzy enough to go for a crazy hair cut (I have a choppy Jane Fonda look at one point) but I've always been complemented on how natural my hair looks and how soft it feels. I also have highlights in my hair, the ends are lighter and its all thanks to the works of mother nature and the sun.
When I go tanning not only do I tan my skin but I brighten my hair. And over the year I've noticed that the natural highlights come out different depending on how I have my hair that day (tied down, pony tail, braids, bun. braiding my hair in the summer makes my highlights POP)

I think I'm more of a 4 now though.
Jr yr of highschool I was diagnosed with 2 diseases as well as being the lowest weight I've ever been. I was 104lbs at 5'9.
Being so underweight and have a circulatory disease and fatigue disorder, it made my hair look very dead and malnutritioned.  My hair would fall out, it wouldn't grow, and I was left with choppy dead hair.
It took me 4 years to recover my hair to where it is today. I haven't even gone to trim it, it still grows very slowly. Today my hair is very healthy than most fashion models I've met and I did a lot of investment in treating and repairing it.
So right now I'm absolutely not willing to do any changes to it besides styling.

Apr 03 13 02:42 pm Link

Model

AngelicaDemonica

Cornelius, Oregon, US

I am definitely a 2, bordering on a 3.

My hair is really long, and growing as the days go on. I have been growing my hair out since I was about 11 years old, and it's finally reached the point where it just barely brushes the top of my ass. I really enjoy having long hair. I may dye it periodically, usually to a darker color, or sometimes do something really crazy with it, but I love my hair too much to part with it.

I have made exceptions, if the customer is paying for the cut and dye. This is only an exception, if it is something I would enjoy having done to my hair. My hair is like a baby to me, I properly care for it. Even though I don't do many styles with it, I believe the length and life to it... is what makes a lot of my shots so beautiful.

Apr 03 13 03:31 pm Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

FCPart wrote:

That's interesting.  I would think if you look good with a short haircut, you look good bald.  Must not be the case for everyone.

My face looks sharp and masculine without any hair, which isn't necessarily bad, but not something I am going for.

Apr 06 13 11:24 pm Link

Model

Trica Padilla

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I'm between a 2 and 3. I have hair to my hip bones. Everyday someone tells me my hair is long. I hear never cut it than I hear you need to cut it.

I cut my hair to my bra straps a year and a half ago. It was still very long but I felt a part of me was gone. No one told me I had long beautiful hair anymore. I regretted it.

Now that its long again I feel like I've had the same hair for to long. I want a change. I'm tempted to cut it to my mid back again a bleach it blonde because I love how the blonde looks on my twin.

Apr 06 13 11:48 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm between one and two.

Personally I like my hair short. I grew/am growing it out for my boyfriend(I'm not letting him cut his hair, he wants me to grow my hair:-) so Id cut my hair for me if I could(-:

But when the time comes, he knows ill be losing it when there's money involved(:

Apr 07 13 12:46 am Link

Model

Scarlett November

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm a level 3.

I adore my hair. Even if trends changed and short hair would get more shoots, I still wouldn't cut it above my bra band. I have to be happy with myself on the everday. My own confidence and happiness is what drives how I look and always will. I've cut it to my shoulders once and I just felt so so so very wrong. I think part of the reason I am so attached to it is because I have a hair color that isn't in the majority. I have natural darker auburn hair that can look really fiery in the sun or more on the darker chesnut side in dim light. I think it's really pretty - one of my better features - so I prefer to show it off and grow it as long as I can with it still looking healthy. I'd like to have it long enough to end around my belly button.

If I had brunette hair I'd probably be more likely to experiment with it.

Although, if someone gave me ten grand I would cut it in a heart beat. Wouldn't shave it though. Everyone has their price and I can do a lot with ten grand. Like buy extensions. smile

Apr 07 13 04:51 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

I'd be willing to change my hair only if the new style or colour still made me marketable and if the rate was significant enough that any potential lost jobs due to it would be covered.

When I was in Hong Kong a sixteen year old model was crying at a casting one day. Turns out her agency was trying to send her home because she had refused a job that paid the equivalent of 10,000 US dollars that involved her shaving her entire head (she had long beautiful hair down to the middle of her back). She wasn't wrong for refusing the way I see it. 10% of earnings go to Chinese government, 10% to her mother agent and 20% to her agency in HK. Leaving her with $6000. Her next stop was supposed to be in Singapore where her agency there had said that there was NO WAY she would work with a shaved head. So she'd have go back to her home country where she'd do what with a shaved head...? This is obviously a pretty extreme example because being open to changing your hair usually doesn't mean cutting it ALL off but honestly, $6000 is chump change if you think about how many months of work she would have lost having no hair and then having her hair be in some awkward in-between phase.

Apr 07 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Scarlett Renee wrote:
I'm a level 3.

I adore my hair. Even if trends changed and short hair would get more shoots, I still wouldn't cut it above my bra band. I have to be happy with myself on the everday. My own confidence and happiness is what drives how I look and always will. I've cut it to my shoulders once and I just felt so so so very wrong. I think part of the reason I am so attached to it is because I have a hair color that isn't in the majority. I have natural darker auburn hair that can look really fiery in the sun or more on the darker chesnut side in dim light. I think it's really pretty - one of my better features - so I prefer to show it off and grow it as long as I can with it still looking healthy. I'd like to have it long enough to end around my belly button.

If I had brunette hair I'd probably be more likely to experiment with it.

Although, if someone gave me ten grand I would cut it in a heart beat. Wouldn't shave it though. Everyone has their price and I can do a lot with ten grand. Like buy extensions. smile

You hit the nail on the head, it's about being happy with yourself.  I know I feel a lot better when I like how my hair is as opposed to when I think I got a bad cut.

Apr 09 13 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kelleth wrote:
I'd be willing to change my hair only if the new style or colour still made me marketable and if the rate was significant enough that any potential lost jobs due to it would be covered.

When I was in Hong Kong a sixteen year old llama was crying at a casting one day. Turns out her agency was trying to send her home because she had refused a job that paid the equivalent of 10,000 US dollars that involved her shaving her entire head (she had long beautiful hair down to the middle of her back). She wasn't wrong for refusing the way I see it. 10% of earnings go to Chinese government, 10% to her mother agent and 20% to her agency in HK. Leaving her with $6000. Her next stop was supposed to be in Singapore where her agency there had said that there was NO WAY she would work with a shaved head. So she'd have go back to her home country where she'd do what with a shaved head...? This is obviously a pretty extreme example because being open to changing your hair usually doesn't mean cutting it ALL off but honestly, $6000 is chump change if you think about how many months of work she would have lost having no hair and then having her hair be in some awkward in-between phase.

How unfortunate.  Sounds like a Catch 22.  What they were attempting to force her to do was almost equivalent of a do not compete clause.

I feel like I hear about opportunities for bald llamas but who knows if they actually pan out.  I've never really followed up with llamas who have shaved their head to find out if they had a steady stream of work.  With the quality of wigs you can get today, I'm surprised more agencies are not more receptive to bald llamas - from an outsiders perspective it seems to offer a little diversity and a uniqueness, though it is obviously and extreme change and not at all mainstream.

Apr 09 13 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

FCPart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Presley ONeil wrote:
I'm between one and two.

Personally I like my hair short. I grew/am growing it out for my boyfriend(I'm not letting him cut his hair, he wants me to grow my hair:-) so Id cut my hair for me if I could(-:

But when the time comes, he knows ill be losing it when there's money involved(:

If you are willing to go all the way, we would be willing to compensate you.

Apr 09 13 02:22 pm Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

FCPart wrote:
I'm a new photographer who just finished a project on the role of hair in the perceived beauty of women.  I found two beautiful model's who were willing to shave their heads.

As someone who really admires people who are able to pull off drastic makeovers (like shaving your head), I got to thinking: what makes some models unattached to their hair and others very attached?  Remove the potential lost compensation factor from the equation. 

I'm curious as to what others think.  The way I see it, there are three levels of attachment to one's hair:
Level 1 - willing to drastically change styles or shave your head for none or minimal compensation
Level 2 - willing to part with your hair only if the price is significant
Level 3 - not willing to part with your hair for any price.

Which level are you?  I'm Level 2, mostly because I'm not confidant enough to pull off no hair or different color hair.  And I'm not even a woman, or a model.     

Would your level change if you weren't a professional model?

I guess I'm level 4, hair left me, I'm OK with it. smile

Apr 14 13 08:38 am Link

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

Level 2 bordering on Level 3. Depends on the amount of $ involved, but I love long hair and don't look as good with short hair IMO.

Apr 14 13 09:03 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

For 50k I would shave my head gladly.

Apr 14 13 09:37 am Link

Model

Sierra McKenzie

Seattle, Washington, US

my level of attachment to my hair is VERY linked to being a pro model.

before I modeled I let friends cut my hair with kitchen shears and dye my hair while being blindfolded.

now I'd have to think about any changes to my hair VERY seriously.

Apr 14 13 01:20 pm Link