Forums > Model Colloquy > My Market Sucks!

Model

Leandra Cole

Dallas, Texas, US

So like, I've been modeling for a bit and I noticed that I'm only doing promotions and the odd art modeling gigs.  Fashion shows are in bars and the local agencies tend to be modeling 'schools'...ummm yeah, not what I had in mind.  Thought about maybe going to Dallas, but I heard the market was more commercial.  What do you guys think? Should I try Dallas, or just leave Texas all together?

Apr 01 13 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I can't critique your port here, but I can say that you've got variety and do nudity, so you should be able to find a market.   Maybe leave Texas.  Try Chicago, LA, NY, or Atlanta perhaps?

Apr 01 13 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

If I was in Texas I'd either be in Austin or I'd be visiting.

Apr 01 13 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I can't critique your port here, but I can say that you've got variety and do nudity, so you should be able to find a market.   Maybe leave Texas.  Try Chicago, LA, NY, or Atlanta perhaps?

Critique her port?
Why?
When I look at models I don't care how good
Or bad the photographer is. I just go how good the model looks.
The model has a solid look. I think she should come to L.A.

Apr 01 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

I don't think of Texas when I think about llamaing, but there has to be markets in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas.  Maybe you need a good manager.  Texas does have some big media markets.

Apr 01 13 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Philipe wrote:
Critique her port?
Why?
When I look at models I don't care how good
Or bad the photographer is. I just go how good the model looks.
The model has a solid look. I think she should come to L.A.

WE are not supposed to critique portfolios in this section of the forums unless we want to spend some time in the brig.  It's in the rules of forum use.   I didn't say anything good or bad about her pictures directly.  Just so you know!

Apr 01 13 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

NIampietro

San Jose, California, US

Gotta go where demand is.

Apr 01 13 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Will Snizek wrote:
I don't think of Texas when I think about modeling, but there has to be markets in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. Maybe you need a good manager.  Texas does have some big media markets.

No such thing, but there are good agencies in TX.

Apr 01 13 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

San Antonio, TX was once a fashion epicenter.   In....1863 that's where the raccoon hat was popularized by supermodel Davy Crockett.

I guess if there is no "fashion district" then it's not a fashion town.  LA, NYC, Miami, ATL, Chicago are hubs. 

That being said....all it takes is finding the right photographers, growing your network, having clear direction, and growing your vision.  A lot of famous models come from places we've never heard of before, so it's a matter of working the right avenues of opportunity wherever you are at.....I think that is the story of success in general.....and the avenues never stop getting worked, even for those runway girls at fashion week. 

You know you've made it when you hate it  smile

Apr 01 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

w

Apr 01 13 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you want to catch trout . . . . you go to a trout stream

If you want to catch bass . . . . you go to a bass pond

Figure out where the best catching area is for what you want to do and go there.

KM

Apr 01 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Troy, Michigan, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
If you want to catch trout . . . . you go to a trout stream

If you want to catch bass . . . . you go to a bass pond

Figure out where the best catching area is for what you want to do and go there.

KM

well said!

Apr 01 13 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Leandra Cole wrote:
So like, I've been modeling for a bit and I noticed that I'm only doing promotions and the odd art modeling gigs.  Fashion shows are in bars and the local agencies tend to be modeling 'schools'...ummm yeah, not what I had in mind.  Thought about maybe going to Dallas, but I heard the market was more commercial.  What do you guys think? Should I try Dallas, or just leave Texas all together?

With your looks, stats, and comfort with nudes, I have got to believe you can get plenty of work.

Apr 01 13 07:40 pm Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Savannah, Georgia, US

Since I live/work in Atlanta, I can say that I think you could definitely get work in Atlanta. There's a lot of TF work going on if you needed that, but there are some paid stuff too, and there are some great agencies to talk to.

Apr 01 13 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

In the US, THE major fashion market is New York City, then Los Angeles is a distant 2nd.  After that, fashion center rankings are a pretty big drop: Dallas, Miami, San Francisco and Chicago are all pretty close to the same rank - but all a big drop from LA, and a huge drop from NYC.

Just speaking of metro areas - the 5 biggest metro areas (population wise) in the US are:

1.  Greater New York City area
2.  Greater Los Angeles area
3.  Greater Chicago area
4.  Greater Dallas/Ft. Worth area
5.  Greater Houston area

For comparison, the Greater San Antonio area is ranked 25th in the US.  (and the Greater Atlanta area - which has been mentioned in the thread - is ranked #9)

Apr 01 13 08:11 pm Link

Model

Leandra Cole

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks for the suggestions!  I was planning on moving to Atlanta because I feel its a good place for Black models, and the cost of living isn't high.  Really want to go to New York though...

Apr 02 13 07:40 am Link

Model

Leandra Cole

Dallas, Texas, US

Art of the nude wrote:

With your looks, stats, and comfort with nudes, I have got to believe you can get plenty of work.

I actually don't get work, maybe I'm not branding myself hard enough...

Apr 02 13 07:42 am Link

Model

Leandra Cole

Dallas, Texas, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

No such thing, but there are good agencies in TX.

Good agencies in Texas?  So they DO exist!  Any suggestions?

Apr 02 13 07:50 am Link

Model

KatieMariexo

New York, New York, US

Leandra Cole wrote:

I don't know how Texas is in terms of modeling, etc. Usually NY, CA, or even FL are the biggest spots to do so (at least that's what I always percieved) Especially because you are tall I think NY would be great because I feel it's more high fashion oriented. However keep in mind, if you didn't already know, that modeling is a tricky business - most models do end up doing those odd jobs before they work their way up to something big so make sure to network along the way.

Apr 02 13 08:31 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Leandra Cole wrote:

Good agencies in Texas?  So they DO exist!  Any suggestions?

Kim Dawson and Campbell are the most well-known ones.

Try submitting yourself and see if they bite!

Heck, if you're willing to move try submitting to some LA agencies as well, and then depending on the feedback you can decide your next move!

Apr 02 13 09:11 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

BelezaModel wrote:

I don't know how Texas is in terms of modeling, etc. Usually NY, CA, or even FL are the biggest spots to do so (at least that's what I always percieved) Especially because you are tall I think NY would be great because I feel it's more high fashion oriented. However keep in mind, if you didn't already know, that modeling is a tricky business - most models do end up doing those odd jobs before they work their way up to something big so make sure to network along the way.

5'8 is not really tall.... It would be hard to cut at at 21 and 5'8 in NY.

Apr 02 13 09:11 am Link

Model

KatieMariexo

New York, New York, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

5'8 is not really tall.... It would be hard to cut at at 21 and 5'8 in NY.

Down here where I am, 5'8" is pretty tall to me tongue
In all seriousness though I did not realize that even 5'8" was short by high fashion standards.

Apr 02 13 09:33 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

BelezaModel wrote:

In all seriousness though I did not realize that even 5'8" was short by high fashion standards.

Haha! tongue

Yeah, it's the bare minimum. 5'10 is preferred, but 5'8 is fine in Los Angeles.

Granted, a lot of girls who are *truly* 5'8 get listed as 5'9, so if OP is even the slightest bit over 5'8 she may be marketed taller. Measurements are also more strict in NY.

I'm definitely not saying she couldn't do it, but her general stats would fit in better other places. smile

Apr 02 13 09:35 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Eyesso wrote:
San Antonio, TX was once a fashion epicenter.   In....1863 that's where the raccoon hat was popularized by supermodel Davy Crockett.

I guess if there is no "fashion district" then it's not a fashion town.  LA, NYC, Miami, ATL, Chicago are hubs. 

That being said....all it takes is finding the right photographers, growing your network, having clear direction, and growing your vision.  A lot of famous models come from places we've never heard of before, so it's a matter of working the right avenues of opportunity wherever you are at.....I think that is the story of success in general.....and the avenues never stop getting worked, even for those runway girls at fashion week. 

You know you've made it when you hate it  smile

LOL that gave me a laugh... 

To the OP:
Of all the cities in Texas, Dallas is probably the best local market for fashion. San Antonio is a fun city but not a place where great money and opportunity exist for models much more than what you've been doing. 

I'd suggest you talk to photographers who are doing the sort of work you want to do.  Make your own opportunities.  They don't just happen.

Apr 02 13 10:47 am Link

Model

Azia Rose

Portland, Oregon, US

MOVE TO LA! I think you would do very well here. LA isn't quite as serious as New York and with your height and looks I think you would fit into several markets here. You're so gorgeous!!

Apr 02 13 11:55 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

BelezaModel wrote:

Lol, same here. wink

5'8 is totally fine in Chicago, though. There, even 5'7 can get runway work sometimes.  (And yes, I was told this by a reputable agency, so calm down, horsey. tongue )

Apr 02 13 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Reggie Dennis

Ashburn, Virginia, US

Atlanta is a lot of fun, lots of opportunities and low cost of living. I wish I was still living there but I digress... But.. I would look at LA and network with ppl there. Atlanta is a hustle/fast paste but I have been told that LA is much more hustle/fast paste than Atlanta.

Apr 02 13 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Leandra Cole wrote:

I actually don't get work, maybe I'm not branding myself hard enough...

I have a theory but I would only discuss in a PM

Apr 02 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Leandra Cole wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions!  I was planning on moving to Atlanta because I feel its a good place for Black models, and the cost of living isn't high.  Really want to go to New York though...

You and everyone else believes that, its still a limited market for models of color anywhere in the US.  Here you would just face lots of great competition who are taller and younger and been doing it since they were 15.  You would do better to move to someplace where you look is missing not where it is over abundant.

The grass isn't always greener...

Apr 02 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Kat Mae Model

York, Pennsylvania, US

Just like with any major metropolitan city, there's going to be a large amount of competition. The models you are competing with for paid work that come to your area have phenomenal books and travel all over the country. They self-promote, they hire photographers when they need book updates, learn how to do hair/makeup/styling, and invest 12-16hr days of work to make it happen. You can't just be a pretty, tall, and thin girl these days. You have to actually put forth some effort to succeed. No one else is going to do it for you or put on the runway lights to welcome you. It's a cold reality, but the sooner you figure it out the more successful you'll become.

Apr 03 13 10:16 pm Link