Forums > Model Colloquy > Oh my gosh! How did this happen!?!?

Model

W I L L O W

Portland, Oregon, US

So, I have decided to try to find an agency and do less freelancing. I went to an open call and submitted to two others online in my area. I thought the open call did not go so well, but one agency I submitted to online wants me, well, I just got an email from the open call agency and they want me too!! Aah! (They are both very reputable, they don't ask for money to start me up, I'm not a dummy) So, do I tell them that they are in 'competition' (so to speak) or would that bite me in the ass? Do I choose the one that does more catalog, or the one that does editorial. Help me fellow models!!

Apr 11 13 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

All things being equal, the money is in commercial.

Apr 11 13 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I'll let models respond to your question, as you requested, but I just wanted to say Congrats! I think they call this a high calibre problem.

Apr 11 13 01:49 pm Link

Model

Scoria

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Wow, congrats!

I think I agree with the first comment, money is in commercial.

Apr 11 13 02:20 pm Link

Model

Lanna_

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm represented in Portland.  Which ones are you looking at?  Getting in is one thing (congrats!), getting work is another.  Some agencies have huge boards and you may get lost in the shuffle.

Apr 11 13 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Why do you have to pick just one ?  Unless it's an exclusive contract you may not have to, I know many models represented by more than one agency. Btw, congratulations !

Apr 11 13 03:00 pm Link

Model

W I L L O W

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks all! Getting list in the shuffle worries me! I really want to make the right choice for me.

The agencies are
Ryan Artists
Q6

What can you tell me about these?

Apr 11 13 03:03 pm Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Why do you have to pick just one ?  Unless it's an exclusive contract you may not have to, I know many models represented by more than one agency. Btw, congratulations !

+1

Apr 11 13 07:03 pm Link

Model

Lanna_

Seattle, Washington, US

W I L L O W wrote:
Thanks all! Getting list in the shuffle worries me! I really want to make the right choice for me.

The agencies are
Ryan Artists
Q6

I've seen Q6 people at castings, haven't seen any from Ryan Artists.

You may also want to check out Option.  From what I see, Option and SLU seem to book a lot of work. (SLU is sports and lifestyle). Portland is a fitness kind of town though, seeing as how Nike is there.

If I was going to spend more time in Portland, I'd be looking at those two. 

Granted I'm not in Portland as much, so perhaps someone there can give you a better scoop.

Apr 12 13 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

I would not try to start some kind of bidding war btw the two and I would also try my hardest not to sign ANY kind of exclusivity contract- try to negotiate a "trial" period of a few months and then work with both agents on a free lance basis to see who you like best in terms of castings, rapport, bookings.management etc

when you meet again- look at the models cards to see if you fit in or have competition, perhaps one agent will front you the $ to make a comp card,

Apr 12 13 12:33 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

First off congrats!

Secondly, there's no point to telling them you are wanted by both agencies. What you need to do now is some research. Find out everything you can about these agencies. Contact as many models as you can from each of their rosters (Facebook is great for this) and ask them what their experiences are with their agency. Also, think about the way you felt in each agency. Did the bookers seem excited about representing you. Did they really get your look and seem to care about what you were looking to do? Do they have a large client base? Were the bookers friendly? Were other models in the agency and if so, how did you notice them being treated? Did the agency generally seem really busy? Will they help push you to travel if you'd like to? These are all things to take into consideration. Commercial pays better. Editorial is more creative. It completely depends on your goals with modelling. Also, take into consideration the terms of each agency's contract.

Apr 12 13 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Congratulations, and may however this winds up be better than you'd hoped.

Apr 12 13 01:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

W I L L O W wrote:
...Do I choose the one that does more catalog, or the one that does editorial...

First things first... Congrats!  wonderful hear of your success, thank you for sharing...

Question? Have you asked to speak with either of these entities bookers? 
might be wise to do a one on one... your impression here may be relevant...

That said, Catalog work has been a major revenue source in my market...
Editorial rarely if ever pays well (at least for the make-up artist on the session)

Food for thought, since you are a licensed hair stylist and makeup artist might see if either agency rep for this... always nice to have an exit strategy since the shelf life of models (especially editorial) isn't lengthy...

all the best on your journey...

Apr 12 13 06:21 pm Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Savannah, Georgia, US

Vector One Photography wrote:

This.

+1

Apr 15 13 03:03 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

I'd just go meet with them and hear what they have to say and offer you, and obviously whether they want you exclusively.

Honestly though, I have no idea. Check it out feel around.

Apr 15 13 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

W I L L O W wrote:
So, I have decided to try to find an agency and do less freelancing. I went to an open call and submitted to two others online in my area. I thought the open call did not go so well, but one agency I submitted to online wants me, well, I just got an email from the open call agency and they want me too!! Aah! (They are both very reputable, they don't ask for money to start me up, I'm not a dummy) So, do I tell them that they are in 'competition' (so to speak) or would that bite me in the ass? Do I choose the one that does more catalog, or the one that does editorial. Help me fellow models!!

Meet with them individually first. You are not obligated to sign until you have a chance to look at any contracts offered.

Keep in mind that you will get work based on your look, not what you know publicly about the agency. On the other hand, catalog work is 90% of an agency's bread and butter.

Making choices before meeting with anyone is a bit premature (Don't put the eggs before the basket)

Apr 16 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Some markets have several non-exclusive agencies that will have no issue with competition.  Otherwise, try to pick the agency that will get you the most work.   Before you confirm signing with either, tell them about your situation, try to get an estimate of the amount of work you could generate a year from either agency, and make your decisions.

Apr 16 13 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Editorial in Portland?  I would go with the commercial side, it's not like it excludes you from anything really.

Apr 16 13 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Lee Studios

San Diego, California, US

Why have just one? llamas I know in LA have multiple agencies get them work and one manager to sort through it all. Try that

Apr 16 13 08:13 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Can you not be signed with both? Do your research find out which one can get you the most work but the best work.

Apr 17 13 04:50 pm Link

Model

Anna T

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i would go with the one that does more commercial - way more opportunities

Apr 19 13 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Anna Kl wrote:
i would go with the one that does more commercial - way more opportunities

and good luck!!

smile

Apr 19 13 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

W I L L O W wrote:

The agencies are
Ryan Artists
Q6

I don't know if it matters in Oregon but Q6 bills themselves as "Model Management" and not an Agency. In Florida, that means they don't/can't legally find you work, they just "represent" you. It's how less than reputable companies get around not obtaining (paying) a Agency license. I don't know if Oregon requires that or has that distinction for licensing.

Ryan Artists, I just thought was a Talent Agency that provided talent for Voiceover work. I come from a radio background so that was my only knowledge of them (or at least what I associate them with).

I didn't know either of these companies found models work in the fashion or editorial genre. Again, that's just my existing knowledge FWIW.

I don't think either of these companies would require/offer exclusive contracts to any of their talent. But certainly that should be one of the first questions.

Good luck.

Apr 19 13 12:39 pm Link

Model

Meghan Hale

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

You may be able to do both, depending on the contracts.

Commercial will get you more money if that's what you're looking for.

Apr 19 13 05:17 pm Link