Forums > Photography Talk > Color sensitivity is the 7D blind?

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Shot a fashion show with a couple of  7D, yeah upgrade to a 5Dmk3,
Had what I had, Most of my shot were OK 7D /70-200mm 2.8 L II,
had a couple 600 ex-rts onboard.  The weird thing is   whenever the outfit is red, the shots have a horrible time focusing,  I'm wondering if the red focusing beams from the 600 ex-rt are lost in the clothes.
The blues and yellows, greens were pretty clean considering I was 60 feet away.   Any speculations on the focusing issue? Shot M ,1/250 f5.6.  AI focus.. Most of the red shots were blurred.

Apr 23 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

if you have to use flash and focus assist at a fashion show there is already something wrong. The lighting is fucked.  so all bets are off.  Most fashion shows wont let you use flash. Ive shot beside 7Ds many times at fashion shows and they never had a problem.  Quite capable of low light too.  Maybe today the 5DIII is better? perhaps. but Id blame the lighting first.

EDIT: one way you can get around this is by switching to one of the other focus points and pulling focus on the eyes (not the garment).  Then even if you do have a red problem with focus it wont matter.  For fashion you should be mostly in portrait mode with one of the outer points in the first place. garments are supposed to be moving and swirly and not the ideal thing to focus on.

Apr 23 13 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
if you have to use flash and focus assist at a fashion show there is already something wrong. The lighting is fucked.  so all bets are off.  Most fashion shows wont let you use flash. Ive shot beside 7Ds many times at fashion shows and they never had a problem.  Quite capable of low light too.  Maybe today the 5DIII is better? perhaps. but Id blame the lighting first.

EDIT: one way you can get around this is by switching to one of the other focus points and pulling focus on the eyes (not the garment).  Then even if you do have a red problem with focus it wont matter.  For fashion you should be mostly in portrait mode with one of the outer points in the first place. garments are supposed to be moving and swirly and not the ideal thing to focus on.

yeah  the led lights were changing colors on the curtain,  one other problem was the runway,  the models were moving. tried moving the focus points  didn't help. They had fluorescent, halogen and LED,   all at the same time. can't get focus lock on eyes    moving way too fast, probably too dark for the camera to get a lock,  I notice the OOF on the red shots..

Apr 23 13 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Weird. Most of the time the red lenses are hiding an infrared focus-assist beam. The actual light used for focus-assist isnt visible to the naked eye, and the red light from the beam is just there to show you its active.

The 7D has a pretty sweet focus system. It shouldnt have been flummoxed by a fashion show. Check your settings, read the manual. Make sure tracking focus was on.

Apr 24 13 01:59 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

the lonely photographer wrote:
AI focus.. Most of the red shots were blurred.

Canon's AI focus mode is awful and will jump at random between one shot and servo, so you never know what mode you are using.

Apr 24 13 08:48 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

What focus mode were you in?  From the factory, it is set to zone auto focus or something like that. 

I switched mine to spot and AI Servo, and had no problem at more than one show with my 7D.

Apr 24 13 09:08 am Link