Forums > Model Colloquy > what's wrong with..

Model

Nina Carter

London, England, United Kingdom

selfies ! i just got a rather rude message about using proper
pics yikes

I do have a better portfolio than this but i wanna start
over -surely as long as you can see what someone looks
like it's O.k !?

I mean i do kinda suck at taking phone pics big_smile  and my profile is
probably contradictary to my pics here .

But i never thought it mattered that much what pictures
you already did !

So a good portfolio is necessary not to look like
a timewaster and/or would you work with someone
with no proper pictures ?

Apr 30 13 01:25 am Link

Model

Tiffany Bond

West Jordan, Utah, US

Considering you DO have some "proper pictures", I would take the cell phone shots down. They make you look unprofessional and really inexperienced, though you're incredibly beautiful, and I'm sure you have great talent. You're just selling yourself short by posting lackluster photos that belong on facebook and not a modeling portfolio.

smile Good luck!

Apr 30 13 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Menai Media

Bangor, Wales, United Kingdom

I agree with Tiffany. Leave the camera phone images for Facebook and put better quality images up on your modeling profile. There are plenty of good quality digital cameras around to take self portraits and equally, loads of people on this site who would be prepared to shoot with you.

Apr 30 13 02:50 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

one cellphone selfie to show what you look like "au naturel", okay. but almost half of your portfolio is either a cellphone shot or a backstage shot, and you do have a lot of pictures that are so much better. So I agree that you should take down the cellphone pics and put up some of your awesome work.

I do think it's stupid that someone sends you this in a message. that is rude. but they're not wrong.

Apr 30 13 02:56 am Link

Model

Marissa St Claire

Eugene, Oregon, US

I think that the work you have is enough to take down the self-taken photos however I don't really see a big problem with them. You have to start somewhere right? I can understand it coming across as unprofessional, especially since MM specifically says to not upload those types of pictures, but I think it's very silly that someone messaged you about it and it's downright disrespectful that they were that rude to you about it. I would just take the pics down, shake off the haters, and keep doing what you're doing - you're gorgeous and your work looks awesome!

Apr 30 13 02:59 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

It's odd to have selfies with dramatic hair and MU unless you are actually a photographer.

If the selfies showed what you look like, i.e. natural looking hair and makeup (if not bare faced), then you may have less problems.

Personally, I don't care too much, but if a photo doesn't really show what you look like OR what you can do, what's the point?

Apr 30 13 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I actually appreciate self taken shots and as a photographer who hires models, they help me to make my decision much more than professional photos in a portfolio.

Apr 30 13 03:27 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

Anna Adrielle wrote:
one cellphone selfie to show what you look like "au naturel", okay. but almost half of your portfolio is either a cellphone shot or a backstage shot, and you do have a lot of pictures that are so much better. So I agree that you should take down the cellphone pics and put up some of your awesome work.

I do think it's stupid that someone sends you this in a message. that is rude. but they're not wrong.

ok . most votes are selfies are silly big_smile..still im kinda bored with everything
older & just want to start again '

I appreciate the advice ... but yea i didn't ask for it  so was a little
well that was uncalled for hmm

Apr 30 13 04:47 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

John Jebbia wrote:
I actually appreciate self taken shots and as a photographer who hires models, they help me to make my decision much more than professional photos in a portfolio.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not oh dear  :s

Apr 30 13 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Self taken pics do make selections easier.  When you are looking through all professional photos it's sometimes hard to tell how much editing was needed.  Most people don't feel this way though.

Apr 30 13 05:16 am Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Livermore, California, US

When I first joined MM not too long ago, I didn't even dare to put up self taken shots. To me, that's just unprofessional. It's really not that hard to get a friend or a family member to take basic shots for you.

May 02 13 12:08 am Link

Photographer

mathieu drut

Santa Clara, California, US

It's hard to take seriously a profile that is composed mostly of cellphone pics.  Especially when it remains that way for a long time. Like the person opens a profile just for the sake of it, say they llama but not really willing to put the time and effort to build something.
At least, that's how I see it.

May 02 13 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Apart from creating an unprofessional impression as noted repeatedly above, there is another compelling reason not to use selfies and that is that they are usually unflattering because of the optics.

Portrait photographers usually use a longish lens to minimise distortion of the face.

On the other hand, if you want to make yourself look like you have a huge, ugly, bulbous nose, then a phone cam, with its very short focal length, is the perfect means to achieve that end.

May 03 13 07:43 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Your Page says you are a full time Model perhaps add more of those shots you've done and take down the cell phone pics down. I agree one cell phone picture is fine to show how you look naturally.

May 03 13 12:30 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Your Page says you are a full time Model perhaps add more of those shots you've done and take down the cell phone pics down. I agree one cell phone picture is fine to show how you look naturally.

May 03 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

May 03 13 12:34 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have two "selfies" in my portfolio and they are better than what some photographers have taken of me. IMO quality is what matters, not who has taken them.

Since this is not the Critique forum I won't comment on your port.

May 03 13 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Form and Pressure

Auburn, Maine, US

Rude people suck.

Last time I checked, it's your page and you can post whatever you want.

May 03 13 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

It's hard to say if the message was rude without seeing it.  Could it have been someone who saw your previous profile?

I'm  kind of confused,  are you the model who was also a ballet dancer with an AMAZING set of pictures? If so,  why downgrade to selfies when you've had stunning pictures.  If not,  my apologies,  you look so much like her.

I get wanting to change your profile, I did something similar last month and jettisoned all my previous pictures.  I only did this because my newer work was so much better.

You only need one selfie,  anything more suggests a newbie.

May 04 13 12:33 am Link

Model

Tiffany Bond

West Jordan, Utah, US

Nina Carter wrote:

ok . most votes are selfies are silly big_smile..still im kinda bored with everything
older & just want to start again '

I appreciate the advice ... but yea i didn't ask for it  so was a little
well that was uncalled for hmm

Actually... you DID ask for people's opinion. On whether people would shoot with you and why or why not, as well as you specifically asked "what's wrong with selfies?" and you were given an answer. It was perfectly called for, and you yourself called for it.

May 04 13 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Life Is Great Images

Bozeman, Montana, US

One other thing to remember is that quickly typed internet notes sometimes sound more rude or critical than what was intended.   So don't take too much offense if that happens.

May 04 13 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Aspect By Allanah

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Even if I didn't know you or your portfolio, I'd still want to shoot with you big_smile

https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01496/microPigs_1496913c.jpg

May 04 13 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

John Jebbia wrote:

I will second that and at that i share this view because "selfies" often provide me with  evidence of a models raw , unretouched beauty

May 04 13 02:12 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

Tiffany Bond wrote:

Actually... you DID ask for people's opinion. On whether people would shoot with you and why or why not, as well as you specifically asked "what's wrong with selfies?" and you were given an answer. It was perfectly called for, and you yourself called for it.

Not the forum thread smile

The message yikes i don't think i would ever do that it's
especially if my portfolio wasn't insane either -_-
although im open to advice from everyone and anyone !
if it's helpful

May 04 13 02:13 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:
Even if I didn't know you or your portfolio, I'd still want to shoot with you big_smile

https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01496/microPigs_1496913c.jpg

my thread is complete this is amazing  ^^^ big_smile

May 04 13 02:14 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

Thanks for rest of reply's - i do have ALOT
more work i really do just want to start again .

I don't feel the need to a prove i have it/ or impress people on
a net modelling site /  & if he'd of asked nicely i would have sent
him it !

May 04 13 02:27 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Must be the total lack of photographers on MM for llamas to do selfies.

May 04 13 02:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Seems like the OP has left the building in the last hour or so.  She obviously didn't warm to the advice she was getting. Sigh!

Studio36

May 04 13 03:36 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

studio36uk wrote:
Seems like the OP has left the building in the last hour or so.  She obviously didn't warm to the advice she was getting. Sigh!

Studio36

nope still here smile

May 04 13 04:13 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

You have an amazing beauty and unique look - post whatever the fuck you like and screw anybody who can't see past the fact that it's a cellphone photo or whatever.

You probably don't want to work with knobs like that anyway! wink

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 04 13 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I second Mr Brunesci's statement.

And I'm glad, OP, you haven't let the negativity drive you away, although your profile was unavailable for a time.

May 04 13 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Aspect By Allanah

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
You have an amazing beauty and unique look - post whatever the fuck you like and screw anybody who can't see past the fact that it's a cellphone photo or whatever.

You probably don't want to work with knobs like that anyway! wink

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

This.  1

There are tons of average looking women who llama, and some of them end up with a beautiful and strong portfolio, good for them, they worked hard to get there. but in the case of llamas like the OP, they just have that IT factor that books them shoot after shoot solely for their look.

May 04 13 05:50 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:
In the case of models like the OP, they just have that IT factor that books them shoot after shoot solely for their look.

I've worked with the OP and she's also a very expressive and emotionally connected model with great depth.

And... she's a classically trained and very accomplished ballet dancer who can actually pirouette around en-pointe with the other foot held above her head! big_smile

That's a rare combination and if anybody can't get over the fact that she chooses to have a few cellphone images in her portfolio, more fool them!

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 04 13 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Aspect By Allanah

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

I've worked with the OP and she's also a very expressive and emotionally connected model with great depth.

And... she's a classically trained and very accomplished ballet dancer who can actually pirouette around en-pointe with the other foot held above her head! big_smile

That's a rare combination and if anybody can't get over the fact that she chooses to have a few cellphone images in her portfolio, more fool them!

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Exactly! I hope to work with her at some point this year, and she probably has the most intruiging and lovely personalities of anyone in this industry. What I meant by my comment was; The fact that she can still get work reguarly via her current portfolio with mostly snapshots/outtakes shows that people are more than willing to just book her for her look, without much prior knowledge of her actual body of work and work experience.
Most people don't get it that lucky big_smile

May 04 13 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Asheville, North Carolina, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

+1

Extraordinary sometimes also means thinking different. Great model.

May 04 13 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Elmwood

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Well put
I think what she needs is a wee trip to Scotland and have a shoot
No idea who she should contact though......
Pleeeeeeeeeease :-)

May 04 13 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

I don't mind selfies. Some llamas can capture themselves very well. As long as I can see what they look like who cares who took the picture.

You are very pretty! smile

May 04 13 06:28 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Nina Carter wrote:
nope still here smile

Can't call up your profile page though? ?????  Typical MM I guess. You're here but reported you as not here. I can see it now but It wasn't there before.

Kent Art Photography wrote:
And I'm glad, OP, you haven't let the negativity drive you away, although your profile was unavailable for a time.

Didn't think it was only me.

Studio36

May 04 13 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Nina Carter wrote:
So a good portfolio is necessary not to look like
a timewaster and/or would you work with someone
with no proper pictures ?

No, a good look is necessary. A proper picture is just something that looks flattering and would get a model work.

As far as self taken pics, if you're trying to do them right then no problem they can help give an idea on what you look like. If you're doing it like a traditional facebook or myspace pic, then sure, it may be cute, but it's not doing anything constructive.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

May 04 13 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Know Idea

Los Angeles, California, US

Nina Carter wrote:
nope still here smile

studio36uk wrote:
Can't call up your profile page though? ?????  Typical MM I guess. You're here but reported you as not here. I can see it now but It wasn't there before.

Kent Art Photography wrote:

studio36uk wrote:
Didn't think it was only me.

Studio36

She's headed back to MySpace.

May 04 13 07:59 am Link