Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SSD HD Question:

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Question for U PC people: Is it possible to do all you photo editing only on a 500 GB SSD HD, and take them from a external non SSD HD and after editing return them the the external HD?

Apr 30 13 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

terrysphotocountry wrote:
Question for U PC people: Is it possible to do all you photo editing only on a 500 GB SSD HD, and take them from a external non SSD HD and after editing return them the the external HD?

of course it is. data be data. i've always wanted to try a ssd, but never got around to it. 7200 rpm seems to cover my limited workload. smile

Apr 30 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

GK photo wrote:

of course it is. data be data. i've always wanted to try a ssd, but never got around to it. 7200 rpm seems to cover my limited workload. smile

Thanks. I need to speed up the editing Process. I will also be maximizing out my memory as well. Again Thanks.

Apr 30 13 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Thanks. I need to speed up the editing Process. I will also be maximizing out my memory as well. Again Thanks.

enjoy the speed!

Apr 30 13 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I have an SSD in my netbook. The processor is so slow, I can't tell there is an SSD in it outside of booting.

There isn't or doesn't seem like there is a difference between transferring data from SSD to non SSD in the same way that there is no difference between transferring from CD or thumb drive to non SSD.

Apr 30 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Why would it be important to put the data on an SSD?

I have an 120 GB SSD to boot my system and store all my programs, including CS6. I have lots of software loaded and my 120 GB SSD is only 3/4 full. When I bought my SSD about a year ago, bigger SSD's were substantially more expensive. My intention from the beginning was to only use the SSD for my system and programs.

My processor is an Intel i7-3770, which I think is still pretty fast by today's standards. I have 16GB of RAM. I felt that 16 was balanced for the system and that more would add unnecessarily to the expense.

I keep all my data on two 2TB hard drives with enough free space for optimal speed.

I too would like to speed up my workflow, but it certainly has nothing to do with my computer.

I don't think moving my image data onto my SSD for editing would make any difference. Not for photography. I can't think of any function in photoshop that is not instantaneous.

---

For designing your system, I find this website to be very helpful.

This page is ranking of high end CPU's
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

When you see a CPU that interests you, click the model number and look at more comparison data:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu … GHz&id=896

There are lots of other benchmark comparisons if you look around at the tabs, etc.

Apr 30 13 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

You might wish to have your cache & scratch sent to a different drive.

May 01 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Cherrystone wrote:

You might wish to have your cache & scratch sent to a different drive.

is there a shot for that? smile

May 01 13 11:12 am Link