Forums > Model Colloquy > do models make posing videos of themselves?

Photographer

Randall Oelerich

Ames, Iowa, US

Wondering if you models ever make short videos to show off your skills, such as being able to strike a series of poses without any direction from the photographer? Speaking as a photographer, that would be of great interest to me, help me know that for a paid gig i would be getting a model who can take charge and pose professionally and such. Otherwise, just looking at a portfolio of still images, I would have to wonder if the posing was just directed by the photographer. Just asking. I think a short posing video as link off a model's portfolio profile page to a vimeo/youtube video would be valuable, probably help the model get more paid gigs over TFP. Personally, I would probably be 5x more likely to look for a paid gig model over TF seeing a video showing off posing skills; otherwise I am taking quite a change with at least local models fairly new to modeling that have limited profile pictures.

May 03 13 09:56 am Link

Model

LexLethal

Los Angeles, California, US

Not I. I feel like it would be more advantageous for photographers to reach out to my references who will probably give a better description of my posing style or if they had to give me direction, etc.

May 03 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
Wondering if you models ever make short videos to show off your skills, such as being able to strike a series of poses without any direction from the photographer? Speaking as a photographer, that would be of great interest to me, help me know that for a paid gig i would be getting a model who can take charge and pose professionally and such. Otherwise, just looking at a portfolio of still images, I would have to wonder if the posing was just directed by the photographer. Just asking. I think a short posing video as link off a model's portfolio profile page to a vimeo/youtube video would be valuable, probably help the model get more paid gigs over TFP. Personally, I would probably be 5x more likely to look for a paid gig model over TF seeing a video showing off posing skills; otherwise I am taking quite a change with at least local models fairly new to modeling that have limited profile pictures.

If you're worried about the money you're spending and the chance you're taking, then schedule a short test shoot to see how they interact with YOU.

How a model works with me will certainly be different than how she works with you.  Seeing her pop through 10 to 20 poses would simply not affect my decision to work with someone or not.  Especially if I like only 3 out of those 20 poses.

May 03 13 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Randall Oelerich

Ames, Iowa, US

LexLethal wrote:
Not I. I feel like it would be more advantageous for photographers to reach out to my references who will probably give a better description of my posing style or if they had to give me direction, etc.

I see you have worked with a looooooooooooooooooong list of photographers. So yeah for you I think I would contact other photogs. Perhaps a video showing off a model's ability to pose independently of direction might work better for a noob model.

May 03 13 12:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:

Personally, I don't think this would be of much help at all. Consider that the actions of a model in a setting she's familiar in, in clothes that she's comfortable in without any distractions is going to be very different than the actions of a model on set and if they differ too greatly you're going to likely feel as if you didn't get what you believed you were paying for.

I think it may be more beneficial for photographers in general to be able to communicate directions to their models and for models to seriously practice posing on their own time in a tank top and boy shorts (e.g. garments that they can't rely on to "make" the image awesome) to get a feel for what it's comfortable for their bodies to do. What I found also helped me was having a book of poses on set (it was something I created using magazine images and was sectioned to cover full length, three quarter, beauty and group shots) that I let the models peruse while getting prepped.

May 03 13 01:58 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

No.

May 03 13 02:20 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I prefer that the photographer be in charge. They know what they want or at least I would hope so!

May 03 13 02:23 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

No.

May 03 13 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

If I hire an experienced model, I expect professional work and can usually tell from her portfolio. If I hire a less experienced model, I expect to have to help her, accept less than perfect performance. I use a less experienced model when I'm shoot for recreation or when her look is so perfect for the concept that I'm willing to do extra to get the shots I need.

Btw, the ability to look awesome in still photos doesn't particularly translate to video. I've seen many videos of great models that made them look less than great. Often they're not all the comfortable with video.

May 03 13 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

I think it would be a cool idea. But not something I'd base my decision on regarding if I want to work with the model or not. A model posing in her living room while wearing her favorite clothes and nobody around is a lot different then a model say posing outdoors in a field during a implied shoot. Especially for newer models.

May 03 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Oelerich

Ames, Iowa, US

ShotbyRon wrote:
.. A llama posing in her living room while wearing her favorite clothes and nobody around is a lot different then a llama say posing outdoors in a field during a implied shoot. Especially for newer llamas.

Agreed. But what if a llama could put up a video from an actual photo shoot, kind of like you see in the SI swimsuit videos, showing the llama posing during an actual shoot?

May 03 13 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:

Agreed. But what if a model could put up a video from an actual photo shoot, kind of like you see in the SI swimsuit videos, showing the model posing during an actual shoot?

I still don't see how the video would be helpful. I mean at least not to the point where it could be a deciding factor for the photographer. The way I run my sessions could be completely different from the way you do things. We probably don't share the same styles and personality.

For enjoyment purposes, sure I love watching behind the scenes videos. But it doesn't really serve any major purpose. At least not imo.

May 03 13 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Oelerich

Ames, Iowa, US

ShotbyRon wrote:
I still don't see how the video would be helpful. I mean at least not to the point where it could be a deciding factor for the photographer. The way I run my sessions could be completely different from the way you do things. We probably don't share the same styles and personality.

For enjoyment purposes, sure I love watching behind the scenes videos. But it doesn't really serve any major purpose. At least not imo.

I have posed the models myself so far, as the models i have worked with so far have not known how to pose. What I am saying is that I would be willing to pony up more cash for paid gigs, pay a premium, for models that I know are able to take charge of their own posing to save me time during photoshoots. I would like to find models that can go through posing routines on their own initiative. Like in this video, at least to have posing basics down, and have a posing set memorized to go through once out on location:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … 8YZIL8JZfg

May 04 13 09:28 am Link

Model

LexLethal

Los Angeles, California, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
I have posed the models myself so far, as the models i have worked with so far have not known how to pose. What I am saying is that I would be willing to pony up more cash for paid gigs, pay a premium, for models that I know are able to take charge of their own posing to save me time during photoshoots. I would like to find models that can go through posing routines on their own initiative. Like in this video, at least to have posing basics down, and have a posing set memorized to go through once out on location:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … 8YZIL8JZfg

Just my two pennies, but if YOU have to pose the models, YOU shouldn't be paying them. If you're paying them, they are assuming what they are doing... er... well, not, is ok. And it's not. Till they learn to pose on their own, TF! You're better off spending your money on a model that knows how to pose. Of course, giving some direction during a shoot happens "tilt your head a bit more toward me...etc" - a totally silent shoot would be so weird.  But having to pose the models yourself, shoot them and then pay them for doing nothing but having you pose them? Pffft. Cut that ish out.

May 04 13 08:39 pm Link

Model

KRISTEN MARIE

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

No. I'd rather be posing for a photographer and get behind the scenes footage; rather than make a video posing by myself. It would feel quite weird.

Looking at a models portfolio, you can usually tell how experienced they are. And also how many credits they have.

May 04 13 10:40 pm Link

Model

Nathine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

If the photographer is experienced, I would sooner take direction. If inexperienced I will help. But unless I am directing the shoot, (rarely) the photographer is suppose to know what they want to achieve, otherwise I can give them a look that they may not want or didn't expect.

Professional shoots are rarely if ever free form. If you are seeing videos on TV of free form artists, then there are fans, or other special effects in operation, and free form, is usually necessary to find that exact shot, however it is still directed.

Anyways a good model should achieve the "that's it" pose in under 5 seconds. It's knowing how to pose and being able to take direction.

I am sure most photographers hate it if 10 minutes later they are still on the same shot and a load of not quite pics in the camera.

Nathine

May 05 13 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Videos of models posing - wouldn't help. Everyone responds to different people differently.

I have to agree with Lex, If you have to pose a model's every move you shouldn't have hired her. Noobs should get some more direction, but you either have a talent for it or you don't. If you don't no matter what you do, it looks bad anyway. Next...

May 05 13 08:27 am Link

Photographer

PhotosByNC

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I personally look only at the photos and then when I interview the model in person I get a better idea of how he/she holds themselves. Not sure if I would watch video of a model just posing by themselves though. Perhaps a series of still images showing their progression thru a shoot.

While I do agree a paid model should know how to pose and hold their body, it's mainly up to the photographer to direct them. The average model doesn't usually see what we are seeing in terms of light, composition, and our angle. I also try to have images on hand to show them poses, or just "strike a pose" myself for them to mimic, etc... with beginning models especially.

May 07 13 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

I think it would be beneficial for models to post short videos of their posing skills.  I love it when I find a model who can freestyle her poses and I just have to make minimal adjustments. It gives me more time to concentrate on other things.

May 07 13 05:14 am Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I couldn't. I'd be judging myself with every little motion I do xD; I'm an artist at heart, so I'm my own worst critique at times.

May 07 13 03:35 pm Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Yes, some models hire a photographer or videographer to do a motion portfolio or a reel, usually with another photographer in the shot taking pictures so that the model is in a moment and not paying attention to the video camera - posing for the photographer instead. It helps to show the model from different angles that aren't shown in still images that a photographer may have missed.

May 07 13 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Oelerich

Ames, Iowa, US

Venessa M Baez wrote:
Yes, some models hire a photographer or videographer to do a motion portfolio or a reel, usually with another photographer in the shot taking pictures so that the model is in a moment and not paying attention to the video camera - posing for the photographer instead. It helps to show the model from different angles that aren't shown in still images that a photographer may have missed.

I like that.

May 08 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Av8Chuck

Thousand Oaks, California, US

I've shot a couple of these types of video.  I never knew what they were for or how they were going to be used but it was a fun shoot.

https://vimeo.com/17551222

May 10 13 03:58 pm Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I have a few behind-the-scenes videos of photoshoots.
http://www.youtube.com/missmodelchara
but they weren't made to show how I pose. More just to show the photoshoot in general for fans and interested people.

May 16 13 10:06 pm Link