Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup to make chin appear smaller / slimmer?

Model

Angie Nava

New York, New York, US

Does anyone know how I might be able to contour my chin to look smaller?
I actually never thought there was anything wrong with my chin until lately a lot of people have been saying that I have a "strong jaw" or "chiseled chin"
I do have a large overbite and I'm in the process of having adult orthodontic care, so this may be part of it. People keep mentioning it so much I'm seriously thinking of getting a chin reduction surgery.
In the meantime I'd just like to use bronzer or something to tone it down. Any advice? You are welcome to look through my portfolio if its helpful to get an idea of my face shape, etc
Thanks in advance!

May 14 13 08:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Holly Clough

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You can swipe your bronzer along the bottom part of your jawline and chine, and blend downwards towards your neck! Thats what I do.

May 14 13 08:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cee Jay Starling

New York, New York, US

Holly Clough wrote:
You can swipe your bronzer along the bottom part of your jawline and chine, and blend downwards towards your neck! Thats what I do.

Use the same concept above with a makeup shade at least two shades darker. Blend well.

Jun 12 13 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

Angie Nava wrote:
Does anyone know how I might be able to contour my chin to look smaller?
I actually never thought there was anything wrong with my chin until lately a lot of people have been saying that I have a "strong jaw" or "chiseled chin"
I do have a large overbite and I'm in the process of having adult orthodontic care, so this may be part of it. People keep mentioning it so much I'm seriously thinking of getting a chin reduction surgery.
In the meantime I'd just like to use bronzer or something to tone it down. Any advice? You are welcome to look through my portfolio if its helpful to get an idea of my face shape, etc
Thanks in advance!

In my experience, a prominent jaw is more likely to be associated with an underbite, where the top teeth come down behind the lower teeth.

In addition to using makeup to shade/countour your jawline, keep in mind that whatever part of you is closest or angled toward the camera will appear disproportionately larger. Avoid lifting your chin toward the camera and the effect will be lessened. Having your hair pulled back from your face will also make a naturally wider jaw more obvious.

I have worked with several models with prominent jawlines, and I simply choose flattering angles for them.

Jun 13 13 01:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

KDM

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:
In my experience, a prominent jaw is more likely to be associated with an underbite, where the top teeth come down behind the lower teeth.

In addition to using makeup to shade/countour your jawline, keep in mind that whatever part of you is closest or angled toward the camera will appear disproportionately larger. Avoid lifting your chin toward the camera and the effect will be lessened. Having your hair pulled back from your face will also make a naturally wider jaw more obvious.

I have worked with several models with prominent jawlines, and I simply choose flattering angles for them.

+1
Like this photo makes your jaw look bigger: https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120525/14/4fc0002e041e4.jpg

But in others it doesn't look as prominent.

Jun 13 13 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Since this is in the mu+hair, I'd say the most important part is where the hair is. You'd want your hair to curve out at the top and come back in around the jaw. MU wise, you'll want to force the outside of the eyes to 1 make a hero in your pix, 2 reduce the increase upper face volume over the bottom half.

Lighting is not your doing, but a good photographer knows how to light for volume and would try to make for your face.

Pose: nothing to do with MU but yes never with the top of the head back if shot level or below horizon.  Best to be shot from slightly above centre, and have you coming into the picture. Problem with a chin slightly down is always the risk of creating a double chin or awkward lines; hence coming forward with the top of your head is better. These are very slight position changes, not to be taken to the point of unnatural.

Jun 13 13 07:35 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Contouring will certainly help - but coordinating with the photographer is more important.

Depending on the Lighting and Angle of the shot - heavy-handed contouring can show up as a weird, distracting line.

Learning lighting and your own body while poseing will serve you better in the longrun.

Jun 13 13 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Hector Pachas

Norwalk, Connecticut, US

Hi,

This is something to be addressed with your MUA/hairdresser, also notice that in the shots that you've posted in your portfolio they're done from a lower angle so when the eye is drawn towards your face your jaw will be the first thing to come into attention as it's closer to the lens https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130607/22/51b2bb7c254c6_m.jpg

Here the image is balanced out as it's shot from a slightly higher point of view so your forehead comes to eye first and balances out the image https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120418/08/4f8edc48f3ccc_m.jpg

I don't think you need to have any type of surgery done, it's all about personal choices and a strong jawline should not a problem, maybe work more closely with photographers or other models that can give you tips/advice on posing to correct those quirks. Here's an example of a model with a strong jawline and is just a matter of posing and knowing how to use your strong features to your benefit https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121123/14/50aff4ad10880_m.jpg

Good Luck,

H

Jun 13 13 08:08 am Link