Forums > General Industry > How or where to publish your work?

Photographer

William Hernandez Photo

San Angelo, Texas, US

I've done a few photo shoots and I would really like to get myself and the models noticed. Only thing is, I don't know where to look at.  Can someone give me some advice on where and how to write to a publisher?  Are there any modeling agencies that I can send to?

May 15 13 11:40 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

William Hernandez Photo wrote:
I've done a few photo shoots and I would really like to get myself and the models noticed. Only thing is, I don't know where to look at.  Can someone give me some advice on where and how to write to a publisher?  Are there any modeling agencies that I can send to?

A good start is The Photographer's Market, although I think it's called The Artist's Market now because it's expanded to include Graphic Design and Art.

It lists a massive amount of publications and includes their submission guidelines, contact info, etc.

You can view the website here, but the latest editions are always available at local bookstores. I understand if you buy the hard copy it includes the online membership.

http://www.artistsmarketonline.com/

I don't think it will help with Agency submissions, however.

May 15 13 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Previous publication success, personal connections to decision makers of commercial clients/media, and location in a major market are biggest factors in getting published.  You can also simply buy advertising in a local or regional magazine.   There are thousands of photographers in the area who want to get published or hired for assignments and you have to be a top choice to get the work. What can you do to be that top choice?  Does the quality of your work compare with other published work? 

Realistically, being far from a major city is going to be very limiting.

May 15 13 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

"Done a few shoots" and now ready to be published?

Contact the photo editor, or art director of magazines that interest you, and tell them this to see how they respond.

May 16 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I admire ambition and since you've shot some weddings as a part-time photographer I understand that you feel confident. You've had some good advice on what guides to use so I would also suggest looking online in the genres that interest you. To get published even in a low-circulation mag or even online as the competition is rather intense, you need really good models and an interesting or hot concept. People now ask to submit my work to various mags and this is because I started shooting for clothing designers, etc. and doing my best to deliver on their concepts, and they want to promote themselves. So, often with such shoots there is a theme.  Not necessarily a really strong one but something conceptual and sometimes combined with a great location. 

The plus for a wedding shooter is that you're used to working under the gun and you're good at doing difficult shoots. The tough thing for a wedding shooter is the kind of lighting that works for mags and also finding the models that fit the shoot, and also the directing of the model and being able to visualize the shot before you start. Often a wedding shooter's portfolio will not interest a fashion or commercial model.

At the end of last year I approached some regional newspapers with Sunday mags. It's tough to get past their gatekeeper system. I wish you luck.

May 16 13 09:05 am Link