Forums > General Industry > Kickstarter campaign uses boosted images

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

This is insane:

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2013/05/07/ … nd-online/

I have no idea how the hell she is getting away with this bullshit.

In this Q&A on the Kickstarter site, she says "-I had politely emailed him my side of the story, and when asked to send over photographic proof for a potential redaction, I received no reply after I had done so.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sab … d/comments

but if you look at comment #85 on the APE article, Rob states "I asked her for the original images and she sent me a bunch of pictures of her kneeling and squatting in front of cars. None are the source material."

She is ripping off images online, doing them in line art and passing them off as "photos she took."

Good Lord.

May 16 13 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

What is the funding for? sounds like she's just running a printing business.

I don't get this kickstart stuff.

Maybe I should start something and if people donate money I'll send them a photo of something?

May 16 13 09:35 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

With the recent court case, I suspect we will see more and more of this.  As more courts rule we'll get a better idea of what "transformational" means.

May 16 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I suspect possible fraud.  Unless I read incorrectly, she said all the photos where taken by her with the exception of the Cobra.  Which has been replaced.

Because of the highlights on the cars, I suspect she's working with photos that had very good professional lighting.  I'm not saying she doesn't have access to these resources, but...unless it's a knock off, she got access to a Back to the Future Delorian? It just sounds too good to be true.  Young people are finding niches and hitting it big every month...but...I just don't know about this.  I think she's got a great idea and she's found a market...but I question the photo resources that she's working from.

May 16 13 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Light Echoes

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I was recently walking along the Venice Beach board walk and everywhere I looked – stolen images printed on just about anything imaginable. I talked with one of the “artists” who replied “I just take it of the web everything there is free. He really felt he had done nothing wrong.

My point – this is the world we live in.

May 16 13 10:02 am Link

Model

Nathine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

One reason why I won't post exotic nudes on the web. They tend to end up in someone else's hands other than those intended.

Nathine

May 16 13 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

Christopher Hartman wrote:
I suspect possible fraud.  Unless I read incorrectly, she said all the photos where taken by her with the exception of the Cobra.  Which has been replaced.

Because of the highlights on the cars, I suspect she's working with photos that had very good professional lighting.  I'm not saying she doesn't have access to these resources, but...unless it's a knock off, she got access to a Back to the Future Delorian? It just sounds too good to be true.  Young people are finding niches and hitting it big every month...but...I just don't know about this.  I think she's got a great idea and she's found a market...but I question the photo resources that she's working from.

Yeah, exactly.

May 16 13 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

Trevor bonderud wrote:
I was recently walking along the Venice Beach board walk and everywhere I looked – stolen images printed on just about anything imaginable. I talked with one of the “artists” who replied “I just take it of the web everything there is free. He really felt he had done nothing wrong.

sad

May 16 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

GPS Studio Services wrote:
With the recent court case, I suspect we will see more and more of this.  As more courts rule we'll get a better idea of what "transformational" means.

Yeah, Alan. I wish they'd figure it out soon! (And I hope it lands more on our side.)

May 16 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Crowdsourcing is a great idea, but the scammers have already caught on,  expect it to be abused and ruined soon.  It will be the next day trading, junk bonds, pay per click, and general get ritch quick scam.

Too bad really as its a great idea but I already see people simply begging for money and "buy me a new camera" shit going on.

P.S. at least kickstarter requires you give people something for their money

May 16 13 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

May 16 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Trevor bonderud wrote:

Meanwhile *this thread* languishes on the photography forum without any responses:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=891745

Let's stop whining, put our heads together, and SOLVE the problem!

May 16 13 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

May 16 13 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

Her art is boring and unimaginative.
I think she changed the photo in question enough to make it her original art, in my opinion... even the first version.

The photo was a straight on sideways picture.
Neither photographer nor printmaker designed the car,
or painted the racing number on it.

May 16 13 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

A Sight Worth Seeing

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This kind of thing provides a reminder about why it is important to register your images with the copyright office.  They are copyright when you take them, but damages for infringement are far easier to obtain for registered works.

May 17 13 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There is a very good chance that all of those images are licensed stock photo images. In which case she's 100% Legal.

But I doubt it because of  the Back to the Future Delorean and the Ghostbusters Car.

Copyright law should be taught in high school and show cases of people that lost the lawsuits. Things are getting out of hand.

May 17 13 12:37 am Link

Filmmaker

Prelude2Cinema

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
What is the funding for? sounds like she's just running a printing business.

I don't get this kickstart stuff.

Maybe I should start something and if people donate money I'll send them a photo of something?

This is wild. I see she received $69,505 and her goal was only $5,000.

I have nothing against Kickstarter. I am a filmmaker and I have used it for a project and plan to again. Also many businesses, movies, songwriters, etc. have used it to raise funds.

I have donated money to a few projects (mostly Movies) I was interested in. Still people are free to do what they wish with their money and some of the projects on Kickstarter don't get my attention or funds, but I can see why others would be interested in funding them. I, for the life of me, cannot see why this was funded and how it reached such a huge amount.

May 17 13 12:52 am Link

Photographer

S A L B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Nico Simon Princely wrote:
There is a very good chance that all of those images are licensed stock photo images. In which case she's 100% Legal.

But I doubt it because of  the Back to the Future Delorean and the Ghostbusters Car.

Copyright law should be taught in high school and show cases of people that lost the lawsuits. Things are getting out of hand.

+1 A friend of mine teaches High School legal studies. I begged him for ages to put together a Copyright unit with me and to his credit he teaches it to his kids. Little bastards still steal images and chuck them on Instagram as their own. I too think it's the world we live in.

May 17 13 05:58 am Link