Forums > Photography Talk > Can you still do it?

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

Ok, I've had this nagging though/fear about becoming a professional photographer so I thought I'd ask those in that boat.

Now that you've become a professional photographer and you do this for a living. Can you still just go out and take pictures just for the fun of taking pictures? Like just picking up your camera and going to the zoo or something like it...

Since I take pictures because I enjoy it...I'm a bit worried that if I do it as a career, I won't have time or be able to enjoy it as much.

Aug 22 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

DanPhoto

Tampa, Florida, US

I dont pick up my camera unless  I make $$$$ .
I used to be like you way back when?
-Dan

Aug 22 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I still take photos for fun, but I really hate when friends and family assume that I will take all the photos at all the social gatherings.

Aug 22 05 06:18 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

My mother (the church deacon) always told me she would never become a prostitute because then sex would just be work.

moral: if you do it for work, it stops being fun.

Aug 22 05 06:21 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I still take photos for fun, but I really hate when friends and family assume that I will take all the photos at all the social gatherings.

Two solutions to this Brian:

1.'forget to bring the camera'

2. Take only extremely unflattering photographs of embarrassing moments (and this is where mom drips spaghetti sauce all the way down her white blouse...) until they stop asking you to take pictures.

Aug 22 05 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

DanPhoto wrote:
I dont pick up my camera unless  I make $$$$ .
I used to be like you way back when?
-Dan

yep. and just like what the other said two posts above, i hate when i'm automatically the event photographer. at least buy me lunch first...or a lap dance.

Aug 22 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Lapis wrote:

Two solutions to this Brian:

1.'forget to bring the camera'

2. Take only extremely unflattering photographs of embarrassing moments (and this is where mom drips spaghetti sauce all the way down her white blouse...) until they stop asking you to take pictures.

I would, but I have this awful need to please people.  It sucks.

Aug 22 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

confusious: a man who has a job that he loves, never works a day in his life...

Aug 22 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
confusious: a man who has a job that he loves, never works a day in his life...

A wize man once said!!

Find something that you would do for free everyday for the rest of your life..
Then make it your job!!!

(:-------

Aug 22 05 06:52 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:

A wize man once said!!

Find something that you would do for free everyday for the rest of your life..
Then make it your job!!!

See my above post on how my mother tried to talk me out of prostitution...

Aug 22 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Lapis wrote:
My mother (the church deacon) always told me she would never become a prostitute because then sex would just be work.

But my job is sooo fun!!

(:------

Aug 22 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Lapis do you work at it?

Aug 22 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Lapis wrote:

See my above post on how my mother tried to talk me out of prostitution...

Did it work?

Aug 22 05 07:09 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Is that a solicitation hugh?

I have never walked a street corner in my life...and i certainly don't get paid now. Unless dinners and a movie from the same man every week counts.

Aug 22 05 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Lapis wrote:

i guess your mom and mine go to different churches! she always encouraged me to do the things i loved--especially if i could make a living at it.  the jobs i have hated i would never have chosen to do on my own.  they simply paid the bills.

i love being a director and a photographer. i love that i get paid to do something i would almost pay someone else to let me do. (don't tell my clients this!)  i loved when i was a (mediocre) musician and i loved when i was a deejay. and i got paid to do them. i still mix for fun.

so in answer to your question yes, i can still take pictures for fun. for me testing (tfp) is pure fun.  like brian, i don't like being the designated photographer--if i take photos at a family or freind thing they are much better when i just bring a camera for fun.

Aug 22 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Through my granddaughter's little digital camera and, by taking her picture in foreign countries with my Nikon FM-2 and F-3 with Ektachrome and usually a 35m lens I have discovered the world that used to be mine. It is mine again through the eyes and wonder of  Rebecca.

Lapis, not walking a street corner means nothing here. You would be too classy for that kind of thing. On the other hand, a nice apartment......

Aug 22 05 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

The street thing would certainly not be your cup of tea Lapis. In skimpy clothing you would sun burn. And we all know you get sun burned immediately.

Aug 22 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

See, my family hasn't asked me to do any of the family events...primarily because I seldom attend them much less take my camera.

I used to carry around a video camera at those things for family. But I doubt anyone has ever watched any of those videos...

Aug 22 05 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Robert Heinlein, the great writer, once replied to the question, "Do you enjoy writing?" by saying "No one enjoys writing. It's very painful."

When asked, "Why do you write, then?" He further responded, "Because it hurts more not to write than it does to write."

While that's a bit hyperbolic, it contains some interesting insight. Photographers with a mission - I am particularly thinking of National Geographic photographers, for instance - may "enjoy" shooting, or they may not. But they will never stop until they're in a box. They are *obsessed.* If you are obsessed, then you will take pictures regardless of whether you enjoy it or not, because it hurts less to do it than not to do it.

I myself do not feel this way - nor, I hasten to add, do I compare myself to National Geographic photographers in any way - but I think I've felt the stirrings of it. There have been days when I couldn't put my camera down. When I did, my hands twitched until I picked it up again. It's a little scary.

So the answer to your question is, "It depends on you." Nobody else can answer it for you.

M

Aug 22 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Depends on the mood. I usually "boycott" my camera for family gatherings etc, but sometimes I'll bring along a point-and-shoot and have fun with candids.

-Jennifer Maria

Aug 22 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Lapis wrote:

Myth

Aug 23 05 04:13 am Link