Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Experienced Body Artist getting into makeup

Body Painter

Jamie Janett Graden

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi All!

I'm a facepainter/body artist (for 8 years) who is just now getting into makeup artistry. I would like some advice on how to get into editorial shoots and how to transition into the fashion world.

Heres some info about what I currently do-
I have excelled at my craft using water based cake makeup by wolfe, kryolan and mehron. I've worked hundreds of events in LA (www.paintonyourface.com is my website) and some photoshoots. My rate for facepainting at event is $150 for one hour, $225 for 2 hours, and $100 per hour for anything 3 hours or more. Generally for full bodypaint I charge $100 per hour.

I've been told for years that I should get into makeup, but I didn't have an interest, until now. I have so many questions about what I'll need to do to get started as a new mua.

~ what should I have in my first kit? what brands, and how much should I spend? I already have all the bodypaint supplies, I would just need foundations, eyeshadows, tools, lipsticks, etc. Which brands are good to start out with?

~ how can I build my portfolio? where should I look for gigs as a 'beginner'?

Any general tips or tricks on how to expand into the makeup world would be MUCH appreciated! I live in Los Angeles btw.

~jamie

Jun 09 13 08:22 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Nothing like trading one addiction for another wink

I too started out with bodypaint - and then expanded to makeup.
For me, it would classify my MUA skills as Adequate.

Just as with bodypaint, you'll end up having multiple formulations in your kit for a better range of coverage styles (matte vs dewy... etc).

An Artist's background in color theory will be invaluable. This means that will a little practice, you can have a condensed kit with basic foundation colors + adjusters to match any skin tone.

While I love my OCC - if I had to start out all over again, I'd seriously consider Yaby's Starter Kit.

http://www.yabycosmetics.com/starter-kit/

Edit to add:
As to portfolio - it really depends on the market you want to enter. Commercial & Bridal is where the money is - and those Clients want to see work that reflects what they hire for. As in, your portfolio is only as strong as the weakest image.

Jun 09 13 03:19 pm Link

Body Painter

Jamie Janett Graden

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks Lisa!!! I'm going to look into getting that kit!

Jun 10 13 11:03 am Link