Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why doesn't Apple innovate anymore?

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/2013_mac_pro.jpg

Jun 10 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The New Mac Pro

The all new Mac Pro is built around a unified thermal core, allowing it to share its thermal capacity more efficiently with all processors. It’s got super-fast ECC memory and 60 GB per second of bandwidth, which is twice as much as the previous model. It’s also 2.5 times faster than the previous Mac Pro, delivering 7 teraflops of computing power, and its new PCIe-based flash storage is up to 10 times faster than conventional desktop hard drives. Finally, it’s the first Mac to come standard with dual workstation GPUs, giving it a faster, more powerful graphical performance. It is under ten inches tall.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/06/new-mac-pro/

Oh yeah, built in America too.

Jun 10 13 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I know, I know... You could build a PC with parts from Tiger Direct that is twice as fast and only costs $165.

Jun 10 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Doubters were wondering if Apple would shock and surprise anyone today, it looks like they did with the Mac Pro announcement.

It looks very interesting and definitely innovative in form and function, and not to mention artistic. Looks like Apple may be getting their swagger back.

USA, USA, USA  big_smile

Jun 10 13 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

But it's not innovation... what you have described is just progression, in the shape of a trashcan.

Jun 10 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Moving this to the iBox Forum...

... oh wait!

tongue

Jun 10 13 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

-JAY- wrote:
But it's not innovation... what you have described is just progression, in the shape of a trashcan.

But that is what every device is right now, just progression. Nothing really new from any company. It will take quite a leap to give us innovation; beyond the defined desktop, laptop, OS, and smart phone... No, glasses do not count.

Jun 10 13 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
I know, I know... You could build a PC with parts from Tiger Direct that is twice as fast and only costs $165.

PC stands for piece of crap. Cheaper isn't better, it's cheap.

Jun 10 13 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/2013_mac_pro.jpg

Wow, Apple has created a black circle.

A black circle....

yup, truly innovative and creative!!

Wait until people see that the next iPad is a circle also!!

Jun 10 13 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Any link to a non Adspeak techincal specs
Price would be nice too but I understand "if you have to ask...you can't afford it"
Marketing strategy

Jun 10 13 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

photographybyStavros wrote:

Well better is better
Like faster, more storage etc
Cheaper is just a bonus

Jun 10 13 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

eos3_300 wrote:
Any link to a non Adspeak techincal specs
Price would be nice too but I understand "if you have to ask...you can't afford it"
Marketing strategy

Pricing hasn't been announced yet. No exact delivery date yet either, kind of like a Microsoft product.

Jun 10 13 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

https://m2.i.pbase.com/o4/74/283874/1/64830632.s28h57zV.Yawning.gif

Jun 10 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

GK photo wrote:
https://m2.i.pbase.com/o4/74/283874/1/64830632.s28h57zV.Yawning.gif

This!

Jun 11 13 12:40 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

159.95 if you wait for a sale.  Fathers day is soon, deals abound!!

Stephen Eastwood
Http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Jun 11 13 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Wrong!!

Jun 11 13 12:53 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

This was Steve Job's earlier version of the Massive Desktop Monolith
https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/15b1539a-e5b2-4f05-a285-9cb4e32f0c81.jpg

Jun 11 13 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
This was Steve Job's earlier version of the Massive Desktop Monolith
https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/15b1539a-e5b2-4f05-a285-9cb4e32f0c81.jpg

Nope. It was this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/NeXTcube.jpg

Jun 11 13 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

-JAY- wrote:

weird. Every trash can in my office is rectangular. The transcan in my house is a beige rectangle with a lid.

Does cylindrical with a hole in the top (regardless of size) automatically look like a trashcan to you?  If you have a coffee mug on your counter and you can't see the handle do you think "hey.. Where did that trashcan come from?!" Or maybe "man. That's stupid. Why would they put my peanut butter into something the shape of a trashcan?!"

Or maybe are you parroting what you read some snarky intent blogger say because you thought it would make you sound cool?

Jun 11 13 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Sonn

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Well i see some potential for it once you incorporate cooling and the ability to hold liquid.

Just think your beer is now also a pc that can tell you how drunk you are, make phone calls, and order and pay for refills once you enter a bar...

Would be a day one purchase.

Jun 11 13 04:03 am Link

Model

amb300

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

Jun 11 13 04:13 am Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Apple lovers and haters out in full force- not surprising roll

This looks cool, hopefully it's a great tool and things just keep on getting better for all of us.

Jun 11 13 04:48 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Lake City, Florida, US

https://bp3.blogger.com/_M2sl6GY8oac/RtRrl2nWH7I/AAAAAAAAAjY/kIJcHyJB2E0/s400/Spotswood_Custom_Computers_Drum_PC_Case_Cabinet.jpg

meh. That was done in 2007.

Jun 11 13 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ah, yes, I forgot that "innovation" to Apple and their iFans means patenting shapes for their products. Well done, Apple, well done.

Jun 11 13 05:16 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

There was a thread on the site yesterday that asked (quite innocently, IMHO) about a topic of religion. It was locked soon after it started, being called a 'train wreck,' even though it was still quite civil.

In my opinion, MM was exercising their own interpretation of censure; they presumed it would get bad, and locked it. I understand it's their site, they can do what they want, blah, blah, blah.

Is this thread any different?

O_o

Jun 11 13 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

dont be silly. Cheaper can be better if saving money is important (and if you don't need whatever it is you're sacrificing for the lowered price).

I've bought hundreds of standard pcs. Made a bundle of money using them. I've also bought dozens of macs. Made a similar bundle of money using them.

Jun 11 13 06:05 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

It's round.

Looks like a wastepaper bin.

Almost certainly costs at least 2x the price of an equivalent "square" PC assembled from the same components.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 11 13 06:07 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Oh yeah, built assembled in America too.

Corrected you there smile

I looked at the slideshow and the word was "assembled".

From parts made in China by people being paid $1 per hour or less, no doubt.

Yeah, I'm impressed by that too. That clearly justifies the no doubt outrageous price tag. Go USA! hmm

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 11 13 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That Italian Guy wrote:
It's round.

Looks like a wastepaper bin.

Almost certainly costs at least 2x the price of an equivalent "square" PC assembled from the same components.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

does everything that's round with a hole in the top look like a waste paper bin to you?

Do you get confused by planters and vases?

Jun 11 13 06:13 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Wye wrote:
Do you get confused by planters and vases?

No.

But I don't try to pass them off as 'innovative' either.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 11 13 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Ah, yes, I forgot that "innovation" to Apple and their iFans means patenting shapes for their products. Well done, Apple, well done.

no. It means doing something new and interesting. Actually *trying* to do new things.

Apple does it time and again with their physical design. The iMac. The Mac mini. Charging ahead with USB and removing floppy drives. Creating a tablet device that people actually wanted to buy by the millions. Creating a line of music devices that similar numbers of people wanted to buy.

Is this device (or any apple device) for everyone? Are they perfect? Do they fit every need and satisfy every market? No. Anyone who thinks that is ridiculous. But they fill a need and they look great (to my eyes) while doing it.

Jun 11 13 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That Italian Guy wrote:

No.

But I don't try to pass them off as 'innovative' either.

I don't get it.  Because someone called this thing innovative it short circuited your brain and now it resembles nothing but a (rather small) waste paper bin?

Jun 11 13 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Looks like a suppository to me.

Jun 11 13 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BlueMoonPics wrote:
Looks like a suppository to me.

man. You guys are in fine form today. Super clever.

If this thing resembles any sort of suppository you've ever had to use then you must have had trouble sitting for a while afterwards.

Jun 11 13 06:23 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Wye wrote:
I don't get it.  Because someone called this thing innovative it short circuited your brain and now it resembles nothing but a (rather small) waste paper bin?

Or maybe an oversized Coke can, painted black....

I think Coke and Pepsi et al. will be having something to say about this 'innovative' shape before long!

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 11 13 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That Italian Guy wrote:

Or maybe an oversized Coke can, painted black....

I think Coke and Pepsi et al. will be having something to say about this 'innovative' shape before long!

im not sure what the problem is.

This is a form factor of personal computer I've never seen before. Have you? Has anyone ever built a personal computer like this? Has this much power ever been in a machine as compact as this?

It looks nice. It (seems to have) all the functionality that I and many users want in a ridiculously compact package.

Whether people care about the size and design is another matter. As is whether the lack of internal expansion will be too much of a compromise for too many people.

Personally (and in my business) this is exactly the sort of computer we want. Powerful CPU and gpu (I would prefer nvidia but whatever), small internal disk, lots of ram. We have 300tb of network attached storage and don't need any pci slots.

We compromise by getting smaller "desktop" boxes and mount them under the desks to keep that dust and dirt at bay. But something like this would mean we can just keep them on the desk. It takes up less desk space than a piece of paper.

We will almost certainly be replacing our existing Mac machines with these. If someone made a just as capable windows/Linux machine in a similar form factor then we would buy those too. Quite a lot of them.

The traditional desktop box is a waste in every way for us.

Jun 11 13 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The "problem" is the typical folks messing themselves over a computer shaped like a trash can because it has an apple on it.

Hand gestures on a cell phone screen (without touching it) is innovative, for example. A "new" shape for a computer is not innovative. A design improvement? Perhaps. Innovative? No.

Jun 11 13 07:01 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Lake City, Florida, US

Wye wrote:
im not sure what the problem is.

This is a form factor of personal computer I've never seen before. Have you? Has anyone ever built a personal computer like this? Has this much power ever been in a machine as compact as this?

It looks nice. It (seems to have) all the functionality that I and many users want in a ridiculously compact package.

Whether people care about the size and design is another matter. As is whether the lack of internal expansion will be too much of a compromise for too many people.

Personally (and in my business) this is exactly the sort of computer we want. Powerful CPU and gpu (I would prefer nvidia but whatever), small internal disk, lots of ram. We have 300tb of network attached storage and don't need any pci slots.

We compromise by getting smaller "desktop" boxes and mount them under the desks to keep that dust and dirt at bay. But something like this would mean we can just keep them on the desk. It takes up less desk space than a piece of paper.

We will almost certainly be replacing our existing Mac machines with these. If someone made a just as capable windows/Linux machine in a similar form factor then we would buy those too. Quite a lot of them.

The traditional desktop box is a waste in every way for us.

Yes. Got any PC mags fro mthe early 2000's - an old "Computer Shopper"? You used to be able to buy cylinder style cases to make your own. Then in 2008, the "tvbe" computer was mass produced:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/CLVE-TVBE-N … -2860.html

But I guess they were not original or innovative like apple?

Jun 11 13 07:03 am Link

Photographer

NYB

Albany, New York, US

What worries me is there was no set date on when this would be released. They only said "later this year." Sounds like it won't ship until 2014.

Jun 11 13 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

P O T T S wrote:
Yes. Got any PC mags fro mthe early 2000's - an old "Computer Shopper"? You used to be able to buy cylinder style cases to make your own. Then in 2008, the "tvbe" computer was mass produced:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/CLVE-TVBE-N … -2860.html

But I guess they were not original or innovative like apple?

ah. Good to know. I'd never see any mainstream computer maker advertise such a thing.

So this will (assuming it sells well) be more like what they did to the tablet market with the iPad -- make one that people actually want to buy.

Jun 11 13 07:41 am Link