Forums > Model Colloquy > agency or freelance??

Model

Kyra Mangual

Houston, Texas, US

Jun 27 13 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well in general a legit agency would provide you access to paying jobs, freelance work not as much.  You won't see many freelance models booking jobs that pay anything like commercial jobs.

The real question is do you have any legit agencies interested in you?  They more than anyone here know if you are marketable or not.

Jun 27 13 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
The real question is do you have any legit agencies interested in you?

That was my question, as well.  If you have a decent, legitimate agency ready to sign you, then you are probably better off being signed than unsigned.  If you aren't getting any decent offers, then the question is moot.

Jun 27 13 08:53 pm Link

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

Los Angeles, California, US

It's totally personal.

Why are you doing this? If you llama to be creative and have fun and maybe get paid every now and then, then freelance is probably the way to go. If you're looking to have it as a career, then I'd go with an agency, which also cuts down time screening/reference checking, promoting yourself, submitting to magazines, ect. which you spend a lot of time doing as a freelance llama. Freelancing you have to act as your own manager, which is hard and time consuming, especially if you rely on another job for your main income. OR you can do both, and take on personal projects as well as assignments.

If you do go with an agency, keep a level head. Agencies WILL advise you to do things to make money for them (I've had agency friends who have been told to lose weight or quit school or change their appearance to be more marketable.) Besides being too short, that's why I'm not with one.

Either way, you're tall enough to get signed, so just keep trying to get signed if it's what you decide you want.

Jun 27 13 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hmmmm, the OP deleted her post.

Jun 27 13 10:49 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

GPS Studio Services wrote:
Hmmmm, the OP deleted her post.

Still, the topic headline clearly states what the question was smile.
I was interested in this too, so used 'search'. I was wondering wether I should try sending photos to agencies (probably have to get myself some decent polaroids first though) with the 'risk' of being signed.
But the worst that can happen is being denied (maybe I'm too old XD, or don't have the right face, measurements, experience, etc) so just giving it a shot wouldn't hurt too much.
Thankyou for the comments even though it's not my own topic wink

Aug 21 13 10:57 pm Link