Forums > General Industry > Fear and Loathing on Model Mayhem.

Photographer

Project4145

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Antediluvian Design wrote:
It just seems like it leaves me wanting more when I see a great photo.

If any piece of art speaks to a viewer it's because the viewer brought something to it that made the connection. 

In this (MM) context your accompanying story will be either irrelevant or redundant.  Both are annoying and condescending.

Jul 09 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

If you have to explain the photo, hasn't it kind of missed the boat already?

The only additional text I would ever want to see is the shot technical data, but that's often easy enough viewing the exif data.

I don't really have any interest in hearing, "So, I set up the lighting at...the model showed up...she got some broccoli from the veggie plate caught between her teeth...we got some great shots..."

Jul 09 13 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Now that I got your attention. Do you feel the photography would be more interesting if you could write a small narrative after every piece? I would personally like that. It would give the photos an extra dimension. Any thoughts?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Use your creative abilities to convey your thoughts within the image - within the thousand words you have.

Jul 09 13 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I think for at least model based photography captions become trite - seems like the 80s when photographers were always doing arty captions like "girl dreaming" or whatever - trite.

Jul 09 13 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I am saying it would be nice to have the option.

You have the option now.

If you are saying that you want them to redesign the portfolios to include even larger text boxes then I disagree for two reasons; first because it would just add more clutter, second because it will mean more downtime and glitches while the change is being phased in.

Jul 09 13 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

I never read a narrative as trite or arrogant. I look at it as part of the art. I was thinking an option box you could click and read a narrative.

Jul 09 13 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Now that I got your attention. Do you feel the photography would be more interesting if you could write a small narrative after every piece? I would personally like that. It would give the photos an extra dimension. Any thoughts?

Photography is a visual medium. Images should communicate information, mood, emotion etc. by sight alone.  Anyway to paraphrase an old saw, your captions would need to be 1000 words. I seldom look at captions, and I never read artist statements when I go to photography gallery shows. If your photographs need words then you need to work on your photographic skills.

Jul 09 13 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

On my Facebook page I have two albums entitled Photostories.  Many people look at my photos just to read the stories.  They are about the photo, the model or life.  So on my Hottie Shots Fan page on FB I started a Photoshoot Stories album and it seems to be well received.  Not every picture needs a story, but some do.

Jul 09 13 07:09 pm Link

Model

Tara_Nicole

BUSHKILL, Pennsylvania, US

I think that's an awesome idea.

Aug 01 13 05:30 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

JM Dean wrote:
"She touched my thigh and then showed me her honey hole. I knew then this was more than just a standard TFP shoot."

That made me LOL in the library

Aug 01 13 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

You shouldn't have to explain your shots. Either they work or they don't. If you have to add words then as a photograph it fails.  Only foreign films needs subtitles, not photographs.

Aug 01 13 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Broughton wrote:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130627/22/51cd23555d57b_m.jpg
Caption: ...And as she sat on the pile of wood, in the odd metal box, deep in the woods, watching the photographer pull a book of matches from his pocket... she finally realized why he had a bottle of barbeque sauce in his camera bag.

Love it.

Aug 01 13 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

No!

Aug 01 13 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

M Pandolfo Photography wrote:
If you have to explain the photo, hasn't it kind of missed the boat already?

This.

Sounds like the OP wants a Blog not a portfolio. No reason not to have both.

Aug 01 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

sounds like extra homework to me......I hate extra homework!

https://images.japemonster.com/2011/08/simpsons_70-576x325.jpg

Aug 01 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Untitled Photographer

Dallas, Texas, US

JM Dean wrote:
"She touched my thigh and then showed me her honey hole. I knew then this was more than just a standard TFP shoot."

Holy crap I just woke the kids from laughing so hard.

Aug 01 13 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Untitled Photographer

Dallas, Texas, US

Like a photo essay?

Aug 01 13 09:35 pm Link