Forums > Model Colloquy > Find your boundary and go past it

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Let's talk about a simple portrait session.

Some people are naturally camera-shy.

What sometimes helps is to keep the very big mirror behind you, so a model can "evaluate" herself to potentially boost her confidence. Works for some.

As Jane Austen wrote: "Shyness is only the effect of a sense of inferiority in some way or other. If I could persuade myself that my manners were perfectly easy and graceful, I should not be shy."

But there is also the reverse side of the coin, when shyness is actually the result of inner compulsion to be in total and absolute control of any process and/or result (public morale, friends approval etc). And this is rather a trust issue.

Of course, nobody should ever push models into something against their will. At some point, many of them painfully regret not having to do the so called "crazy" things (and the different centuries bring different meanings of that).

On a big scale of things, they just age (and not necessarily nicely) and then inevitably die leaving all these totally boring, easily forgettable, flat dead pictures.
No traces of a person left. Let them do just that. Don't judge. They gonna have their regrets later. It's not about you. Maybe me or you are not that good to come up with an image that potentially lasts forever. So, don't blame them.

Jul 23 13 11:19 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Francisco Castro wrote:
The other 67 are examples of NON-NUDE creative, different, funky.

You shouldn't have said that... post this in the critique forum so people can tell you what THEY think about your idea of creative, different, funky images.

But for the record, you might consider not telling other people what to shoot.

Jul 24 13 10:05 am Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
I get all these requests from shoots from newbie models, asking for "something different". I look at their port and all they have are senior photo style images, with some glamor gown thrown into the mix.

I suggest a few ideas that are more creative/funky/edgy and they are met with hesitation and trepidation, and a counter idea is proposed that is back to senior photos style.

Models-- if you're not willing or able to explore other styles other than what you would like to have displayed on your grandmother's piano, you're not modeling. It's not a bad thing to have standards, but if you're limiting yourself, then you're the one killing your supposed dream of being a model.

In the end, photographers can only capture what's in front of the lens.

If you aren't getting what you need from the models you are selecting, you are selecting the wrong models.

Jul 24 13 10:23 am Link

Model

Skyler Bleu

San Jose, California, US

boundaries and guilt make us human. If something isn't so bad for us eventually we will find our way there....

dislike. this. thread.

Aug 20 13 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Christian Lockewood

Houston, Texas, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
In the end, photographers can only capture what's in front of the lens.

I have neither the experience nor portfolio to support my participation in this thread. However, there is an odd irony in the OP and in particular the statement above. I am of the opinion that those endowed with a creative mind are able to find ways to distinguish themselves in spite of limitations.

Aug 21 13 01:13 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:

Exactly.

For starters, all models should look like models, and then comes the personality and the expression. And those are the things that really make the difference.

Anyone who doesn't listen to what they are instructed are never going to be a good model.

Anyone who doesn't know their body will never be a good model.

Anyone who has a distorted body image will never be a good model.

Anyone who is boring and dumb will never be a good model.

Great look, great attitude, great timing never fails.

lol
God, I'm gonna have cramps for a week from all this laughter.

Aug 21 13 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Antediluvian Design wrote:
As a novice hobbyist photographer, often I am so stoked to have someone that wants to work wit me, I am very apprehensive to suggest edgy concepts. I have hundreds of edgy original concepts in my head. I just don't have the huevos to spit them out. And no, they don't have to be nude.

I steer clear of the verbals as much as possible and SHOW people the type of image I am trying to create. With all the confusion between "lingerie", "art" and whatnot, I keep things unequivocal and show people what I am talking about.

One thing that has models ready to jump off a cliff, is if they know there will be an aesthetic, the focus will be on beauty or portraying the person in a positive way and if there is some attached PR value, some reason other than love or money. Also in the industry, consistency is a major deciding factor when bookers are considering throwing models at a photographer, if he or she are consistent in their portfolio and production, they know it's not going to be a waste of time. Consistency is important too in getting models to take a plunge in any direction, people don't want to make extra effort or work if there is no guarantee of result.

Aug 21 13 01:53 pm Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

Heh, I always have the opposite problem.
People always make me sit by a piano or a flower or are interested in only doing senior type pictures. Might be my cute face, who knows?
Yesterday I finally had an awesome edgy steam punk shoot, I can't wait for the results!
I WISH more photographers asked me to do shoots that pushed the envelope.
Models who don't want that type of shoot in their port will probably stick to catalog.
I find it odd and surprising that models would actually prefer these types of shots to something more daring.

Btw, your work is mind blowing.

Aug 23 13 01:30 am Link