Photographer

SurrealPhoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

So I am looking into possible relocation towards the DC area. Does anyone have an opinion on the DC photography/Modeling scene?

Jul 26 13 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Longtime DC resident but I've also traveled a bit so I've got something to compare it to.  I can't speak about male models, just female ones (and the photographic community).  Lots of incredible shooters here.  Very vibrant visual arts and photographic communities and venues.  From a models perspective--I ain't one so I can't tell you how lucrative it is.  I can tell you that I've always found a wide range of very talented models and they aren't just all focused on "make me look pretty" glamour work but instead embrace a wide range of genres.  Plus, a gazillion shooting opportunities....from great venues, changing seasons, range of landscapes and topography, to national events and leaders.  Not a big fashion season/presence here like you'll see in NYC or LA or SF.  I can't speak too much about making money as a photographer b/c I"m retired in that area and my work was as a photojournalist working around the globe mostly (and a few campaigns) so I have little knowledge about shooters who work in DC and don't travel yet make a living.  I have no trouble arranging TF shoots with a range of models.  Lots of traveling models stop off in DC (I"m going to be shooting with Sie ist Idaho again in August--be still my beating heart!!!).  Lots of really great talent here. Also, a bunch of college campuses with 20 year olds dreaming of becoming models or seeking to add to their portfolio or having a project they need to create for their class assignment (I think I've done nude shoots with at least 5 American University students in the past couple of years without really seeking out that school!).   A bunch of good studios that rent space.  B/c of the value of real estate you're not going to EASILY find a lot of wrecks and abandoned houses unless you get in to West Virginia or the rural areas.  Architecture tends to consist of colonials so it's a bit boring--not nearly as much diversity as you'll find in the west or California--but still shooting opportunities are out there.

From your portfolio it seems like you shoot a lot of rope-work.  I can't speak to that.  Except one model I worked extensive with (Mara Geneva--she's in my portfolio) is or was heavily involved in that.  While she's retired as a model, my understanding is that this (rope work) is still a big part of her life and she might be interested if you contacted her.

If you're going to relocate to DC (actually in DC) a couple of things to expect.  Traffic is a bear but if you live in the City then Metro is your friend.  Real estate is expensive (it is in all cities but in DC during the great recession real estate never really lost value).  Cost of living is high here (not NYC or SF high but everyone from out of the area who moves in gets sticker shock, especially around housing...and did I mention housing is expensive?).  Tons of free stuff...most museums don't charge, most landmarks don't charge and if you don't want to shoot the Lincoln Memorial, then shoot the people there or the events held near the grounds.  Very, very, very diverse community (more Salvadorans and Hondurans and Guatemalans than Mexicans here, Embassies from every country, I live in Koreatown, huge Ethiopian restaurant scene, big Asian community but not in the traditional way, everyone sends their kids to DC to be interns during the summer so you're always bumping into 20 year olds from Nebraska and Texas and Florida and New Mexico).  So if you decide you need someone who looks like they're from Sweden or Norway or a Somali, or a white South African or a Colombiana for a shoot, you can probably find a model from those nationalities or parentage here without too much digging.  And we never played the license plate game with my son when he was growing up (spot all 50 states)...way too easy here.  For instance, there are 3 Alaska plates that live in just our neighborhood (lots of transients what with political appointees and the military).  Significant international and corporate presence here (every major company has a lobbying and federal legislation arm here in DC) so for corporate shooters who've got potential access.  DC's a bit stuffy when it comes to dress...it's a government thing--nothing like SF for instance so you'll find that a bit stiffiling at times.  Food--we're okay.  It's not SF or NYC in that regard.  No real clear defined city center like there is in many towns (the Federal Govt. presence effected that).  Very strong ethnic communities but no "Little Italy"  like you see in many other cities (and our Chinatown is a joke).  Also, there's a major historical presence with great photo opportunities (visit Antietam battlefield--single bloodiest day in American history--during a re-enactment...it's less than an hour from DC, or Harpers Ferry by train, or Gunston Hall or Mt. Vernon or Ft. Washington or the Air Show at Pax River or Andrews).  Try shooting Marine One.

And if you get bored with all of that, we're just a quick drive away from Baltimore which has it's own quirky and unique arts scene that is great.

Ed

Jul 27 13 05:45 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://johnfisher.com/images/dole1996.jpg
Bob Dole grip'n and grin'n during his run for President in 1996

afplcc wrote:
Longtime DC resident but I've also traveled a bit so I've got something to compare it to...............

Ed got it right for most photographers. If you want to work professionally, the Washington area is limited to real estate, food, and grip and grin work (for the political parties, national associations, lobbyists, etc.). Wedding photography can be very lucrative, but breaking into the upper end market would not be easy. Your best shot at that would be to do grip and grin work and make your contacts there.

You are close to New York (four hours by car, bus or train), but if you are not in New York, you probably won't work there. Still, it is worth the visit.

Oh yeah, to describe Baltimore as "quirky" is a bit of an understatement. Baltimore is .... Baltimore. I'll leave it at that. "Charm City"? That is the nickname.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jul 27 13 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

DC's art scene is pretty weak compared to neighbors north and south. Keep expectations low. There's some good models, but you'll also find yourself looking at travelers a lot too.

Jul 27 13 06:25 am Link

Photographer

SurrealPhoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Wow. Ed, most helpful advice. Everyone else, thank you as well for taking time to share you input. You have all given me a lot to think about. After reading  I am leaning towards Baltimore.

I'm in Boston at the moment, but when I get back to SF area, I'll be working on the transition. My hope is to make a move very end of this year, when my lease is up.

Have a good one guys,

Oct 10 13 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

SurrealPhoto wrote:
Wow. Ed, most helpful advice. Everyone else, thank you as well for taking time to share you input. You have all given me a lot to think about. After reading  I am leaning towards Baltimore.

I'm in Boston at the moment, but when I get back to SF area, I'll be working on the transition. My hope is to make a move very end of this year, when my lease is up.

Have a good one guys,

Baltimore is a good place.  Worse schools and higher crime rates in the City proper.  More more clearly ethnic neighborhoods, more diverse architecture, great collection of models, very near the water (meaning REAL beaches and the Eastern Shore).  Like I said, Balmer is quirky with it's own distinct personality.   Despite being so close to DC, it's totally different than DC--almost night and day difference for cities. And if you rent, then you're close enough to DC and Philly (or even NYC and Richmond) that you can decide if someplace else is a better fit.

Ed

Oct 11 13 11:43 am Link