Forums > Photography Talk > Pure white backdrop with reflection.

Photographer

M-A-R-C

Norwich, Connecticut, US

http://marcmphotography.smugmug.com/Oth … &k=742FSx3

Currently I shoot with a white paper backdrop, with the subject on a semi-reflective wood floor. I then PS a pure white background and then add back in some of the reflection. The problem is, the models have a brown color cast from the wood floor. I want to have the backdrop rolled out from the top of the frame to the bottom. No wood floor!

What backdrop material should I use to achieve this result sooc? Vinyl? I've never used anything but paper, so I don't have any experience with anything else. Also it needs to be easily portable, since I rent a studio by the hour. Thank you for your help!

Sep 13 13 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Roll your paper out to cover the floor too. Add a piece of clear plexiglass, or white plexiglass or white tileboard for the reflection with no color cast.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080601/13/4842e0038e396.jpg

Sep 13 13 04:58 am Link

Photographer

M-A-R-C

Norwich, Connecticut, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Roll your paper out to cover the floor too. Add a piece of clear plexiglass, or white plexiglass or white tileboard for the reflection with no color cast.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080601/13/4842e0038e396.jpg

Couple of issues with that... I can only find the plexiglass in like 3 x 6 sheets at home depot. Not quite big enough. And if they WERE big enough, I wouldn't be able to fit them in my station wagon. There in lies the dilemma.

Sep 13 13 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

M-A-R-C wrote:
Couple of issues with that... I can only find the plexiglass in like 3 x 6 sheets at home depot. Not quite big enough. And if they WERE big enough, I wouldn't be able to fit them in my station wagon. There in lies the dilemma.

I use two of the 3 X 6 sheets and clean up the line in Photoshop, although it appears I didn't do that in this image, shot a few years ago.

You might try a piece of vinyl flooring that you could roll up, although I don't know how flat it would sit after being rolled.

Sep 13 13 05:09 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Plexi will give you a cleaner reflection than tileboard.  But Plexi can be expensive for larger thicker sheets, and does require occasional maintenance.  You can order 4x8 sheets, and have them delivered.

Sep 13 13 05:14 am Link

Photographer

M-A-R-C

Norwich, Connecticut, US

Thank you guys!

Sep 13 13 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Home Depot carries flexible white plastic sheets 4x8 about $20 I have forgotten what they are called but they were with the tile board. The sheet is about 1/8" thick and will roll into a tube about 2 feet in diameter.

Sep 13 13 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Maxximages wrote:
Home Depot carries flexible white plastic sheets 4x8 about $20 I have forgotten what they are called but they were with the tile board. The sheet is about 1/8" thick and will roll into a tube about 2 feet in diameter.

They also carry an inexpensive 4X8 hardboard sheet with a white reflective coating. I just shot a job with it a few weeks ago and was amazed at the scuff resistance. I shot 10 different people on it, and the retouch for shoe marks was minimal.

Sep 13 13 06:42 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I use styrene in 4' x 8' sheets. It's very durable and can be rolled for easy transportation.

Sep 13 13 07:01 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I use plexi for the floor. It is about $100 for a 4x8 sheet. Since you have a wood floor, you'd want to leave the bottom side of the protective adhesive on for the plexi and only remove it from the top side.

Since you want it to be portable, instead of one big sheet of 4x8, you could have the shop cut it into two pieces, ie 4x4. Then use PS to join the seams.

Sep 13 13 07:29 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

M-A-R-C wrote:

Go to a 'plastics' store. Look them up in Google or the Yellow Pages. They will be able to cut to size.

Sep 13 13 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Martin Schiff Photo

Maitland, Florida, US

Robert Randall wrote:

They also carry an inexpensive 4X8 hardboard sheet with a white reflective coating. I just shot a job with it a few weeks ago and was amazed at the scuff resistance. I shot 10 different people on it, and the retouch for shoe marks was minimal.

I've been using the same two 4x8 pieces of shiny tileboard from Home Depot (about $12/sheet) for about 2 years now. I even used it to protect my floor when rolling the refrigerator over a new floor, and I still get good results with minimal touch up.

http://www.pbase.com/mschiff/image/151915866  (18+)

Sep 13 13 07:47 am Link

Photographer

fussgangerfoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

^^^^^^ What they said ^^^^^^^

Transporting 4x8' sheets would be a major PITA. Even two 4x4's. Maybe you could ask the rental studio nicely if you can store the sheets in the prop room and you'll "donate" them to the studio for everyone's use for a few hours of studio time credit.

Failing that, if you absolutely must have a reflective image, you can do it in PS fairly easily.

Sep 15 13 10:17 am Link