Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Bounty Offered To Anyone Who Hacks iPhone Thumb ID

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Andialu wrote:
I would think that anyone that has information on their iPhone that is so important that someone is willing to go to such extreme measures to get into their phone that they would have other security measures implemented.

You would think so but, given the sheer volume of identity theft, it doesn't seem very likely.

Sep 23 13 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Lohkee wrote:

You would think so but, given the sheer volume of identity theft, it doesn't seem very likely.

Your garden variety ID theft comes from opportunists exploiting careless people. This is different. It is more labor intensive. Why go to all the trouble unless you know the phone you are trying to hack has valuable information on it?

Sep 23 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Andialu wrote:

Your garden variety ID theft comes from opportunists exploiting careless people. This is different. It is more labor intensive. Why go to all the trouble unless you know the phone you are trying to hack has valuable information on it?

well, it's really not a lot of effort. But each to his own. As Kristofferson said an long time ago, "we take our own changes and pay our own dues, that silver tongued devil and I" (or some such thing).

Sep 23 13 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well, next time Im at a bar and the guy/gal next to me has a camera, a laptop, a laser printer, sheets of latex and woodglue im going to keep a close eye on them and my phone.

Sep 23 13 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Well, next time Im at a bar and the guy/gal next to me has a camera, a laptop, a laser printer, sheets of latex and woodglue im going to keep a close eye on them and my phone.

lol

Sep 23 13 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Robb Mann wrote:

That would be Batman (Adam West version) and his Utility Belt.

Sep 23 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

ok. This old school hacker is going to jump in here for a moment. How old school? hmm... I grew up learning Pascal, Fortran, Basic and COBOL. Old enough?

I'm with Lohkee. Hacked isn't hacked. Just because you can split an atom in a lab, doesn't mean you can do it in a nuclear warhead. Don't believe me. Just ask the guys who figured that out during WWII. When I see it happen in the real world I will believe it's possible. Collecting a viable fingerprint is more difficult than you think, especially when you've no idea which part of the finger or for that matter which finger was registered.

Andialu wrote:
I would think that anyone that has information on their iPhone that is so important that someone is willing to go to such extreme measures to get into their phone that they would have other security measures implemented.

Do you mean like a cheating spouse who hides emails and photos? wink

Robb Mann wrote:

I don't see that as much of a problem. It's much easier to simply steal someone's beer bottle! tongue

As for collecting a viable image of a print... Do you think you could take pics of your spouse's fingers while they slept? I bet you could!

Sep 23 13 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The real question is, what will the CCC do with their bounty?

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/gcaptain/files/2012/10/HMS-Bounty9.jpg

Sep 24 13 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Mine came in today, and after playing with it. It actually works very well.

Sep 24 13 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Greg Holt Photography wrote:
Mine came in today, and after playing with it. It actually works very well.

I'm still curious if Apple is using a simple image of the print or measuring other biometric data (can you register an inanimate object?).

A simple test that would make an old man very happy if you are so inclined.

Stick a stamp or anything with a complex pattern on the end of a pencil (or other similar object about 6" long). Try to register the "print" and, if you can, see if it will unlock the phone.

Pretty please?

ETA: You might have to breath on whatever you use a few times to make it slightly conductive.

Sep 24 13 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I tried a couple of things as suggested, none of them worked, the sensor didn't even register anything was there.

I even tried a quick and dirty finger print mold with some cooled down "hot glue".No dice.

Other bits of skin, palm, knuckles, (as a few articles pointed out, nipples) work fine. I'm sure with some plat-sil or liquid latex you could make a cheap working mold.

The way I see it , this helps (but not cures) basic social engineering. Iphones only require a 4 digit unlock code. Which is very easily seen by shoulder surfers. This makes you a "little bit" more secure from that type of event.

And after owning it and playing with it, I don't see it as a security feature as much a convenience. Its quicker and easier than typing in your pin every single time you want to open your phone.

Sep 25 13 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Thank you.

Sep 25 13 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://media.cagle.com/81/2013/09/18/137655_600.jpg

Sep 25 13 08:25 am Link

Photographer