Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Caution Political thread:what have you done to...

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

What have you done to understand the war.  No matter what your view.

If I could get you to do this one thing.  List the efforts you have made to understand the War on Terror/Iraq War/Illegal Action...whatever you are comfortable calling it.  I really don't want a back and forth.  I would like to see us discuss this by mearly listing the things we have read the people we have talked to and other efforts we have made to understand this war.

List your efforts:

I am on my third semester of Arabic.
I am studying islamic civilization.
I am going to grad school for international conflict resolution.(hopefully over seas!)
I befriended a new muslim/Egyptian student at shool.
I donated to the USO.
I read http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/ Michael is writing from Mosul Iraq.
I purposefully read opposing opinions on the War and US foreign policy.
I support friends/soldiers in and going to Iraq in various ways.
I regularly read a list of about 20 sources for my news to try to combat my own bias and bias of the reports.

Again...I would rather not see negative responses to peoples posts.

It will be interesting to see who posts what!

Aug 23 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

bencook2 wrote:
What have you done to understand the war.  No matter what your view.

I had coffee this morning in a LA bistro with a friend that left Iraq during the Hussein tryanny.  He loves America probably as much as any that were born here.  He is also a Christian.

It's interesting though, his take is America has put itself in a position it can't possibly understand.  For all the harm Hussein did, the country (Iraq) was stable in its rule.  It now faces secular anarchy.  His feeling was that rule was held firm due in part to Hussein being a Christian and any uprising might bring the wrath of the United States upon them.  Now, both the myth and fear instilled through that is gone.  The battle is now there's, not ours and that is something that won't change with American involvement.

His words, not mine.

The conversation was brought full circle when he explained the axiom, "Gold in the pocket."  I can't begin to explain it with near the passion, but I'd be interested to hear if (and what) you and other scholars can say about that.

Aug 23 05 10:09 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Aug 23 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I have begun dismantling my own MX stockpile.
I have personally beaten at least three people of middle eastern descent within inches of their lives... they may have been born in the states, but that means nothing to me.
I have purchased a large SUV which I drive alone daily, just for fun.
I have thrown banana peels at my television during the nightly news and shouted obscenities about Michael Moore.
I have begun to grow my own poppies to loosen the bonds of dependence on foreign drugs.
I have changed my underwear daily in case I'm injured in a terrorist attack in Salt Lake City, just to make sure I'm not embarassed when I'm taken to the hospital.
I have surrendered myself to the Patriot Act.
I have prayed to Allah in a Christian Tongue in hopes of incurring his wrath.
Wait...
I've just gotten drunk and typed contradictory bullshit.
I'm so fucking worthless.
I wish I were a scholar.
But a really blue-collar scholar.
Then I could argue with people about wether or not pineapples had the intent of tasting good and evolved to do so in order to make humans eat them, therefore ensuring their own survival. 
Fucking genius.

Aug 23 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Check your email...

area291 wrote:

I had coffee this morning in a LA bistro with a friend that left Iraq during the Hussein tryanny.  He loves America probably as much as any that were born here.  He is also a Christian.

It's interesting though, his take is America has put itself in a position it can't possibly understand.  For all the harm Hussein did, the country (Iraq) was stable in its rule.  It now faces secular anarchy.  His feeling was that rule was held firm due in part to Hussein being a Christian and any uprising might bring the wrath of the United States upon them.  Now, both the myth and fear instilled through that is gone.  The battle is now there's, not ours and that is something that won't change with American involvement.

His words, not mine.

The conversation was brought full circle when he explained the axiom, "Gold in the pocket."  I can't begin to explain it with near the passion, but I'd be interested to hear if (and what) you and other scholars can say about that.

Aug 23 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

One could spend a great deal of time studying things on this. Then again, one could simply take the advice of a wise man who's boss chose not to listen to him .... "you break this, you own it."

Aug 23 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

...Stacy wrote:
I was in it.

I think Bencook2 is going to find that he is the only one who fullfills the list he created. Although his is impressive, I would really like to know what you have to say since you've been there.

Aug 23 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

very sad...

Aug 28 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

area291 wrote:
.  His feeling was that rule was held firm due in part to Hussein being a Christian and any uprising might bring the wrath of the United States upon them.
His words, not mine.

I'm no scholar, but I do know that Hussein was and still is a Muslim, you must have misunderstood your friend.

Aug 28 05 10:45 pm Link