Forums > Photography Talk > My Harper's BAZAAR and Nikon D800 Fashion Story

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
https://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Kristina-Salinovic-Benjamin-Kanarek-Harpers-BAZAAR-Espanol-1.jpg

Wow. Seriously impressive. Captivating.

On the colour shots, how are you getting those tones? Are you doing the retouching yourself, or who does it for you? Is there anyone on MM that can do that level of colour grading?

Oct 30 13 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

-JAY- wrote:

Dear people who keep saying 50/1.8s are pieces of junk and nobody should ever consider using them in a professional capacity,

Suck it.

I've often told people that my 50 f/1.8D was EASILY every bit as good as my $1,000+ lenses.

I gave it with my niece along with my unused D200.  It's all she uses.  The only reason I haven't bought a new one is I think I'd really like to have the f/1.4.  Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Oct 30 13 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Christopher Hartman wrote:
I've often told people that my 50 f/1.8D was EASILY every bit as good as my $1,000+ lenses.

I gave it with my niece along with my unused D200.  It's all she uses.  The only reason I haven't bought a new one is I think I'd really like to have the f/1.4.  Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

You should try the original Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF-N, the non D version, it's one of the sharpest ever lenses from Nikon. I will never give mine up!

As for the G version, it doesn't fare any better than the D version according to this well respected site.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff

Oct 30 13 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

London Fog wrote:

You should try the original Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF-N, the non D version, it's one of the sharpest ever lenses from Nikon. I will never give mine up!

As for the G version, it doesn't fare any better than the D version according to this well respected site.

I want the quieter focus.  Interesting, DPReview said the focus speed is slightly SLOWER on the G.

Oct 30 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Reve Foto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Outstanding work Benjamin!  Long live Nikon!

Oct 30 13 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Reve Foto wrote:
Outstanding work Benjamin!  Long live Nikon!

Thanks smile

Oct 30 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Another one...

https://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Kristina-Salinovic-Benjamin-Kanarek-Harpers-BAZAAR-Espanol-10.jpg

Oct 30 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lee K wrote:
Exactly.  The 50mm 1.8G is simply amazing.  Kills any canon 50 including the 1.2 if you ask me (only one that has no focusing issues), especially when price is considered.  Yes I've owned them all, and yes I was a "lifelong" Canon shooter that never thought I'd own a Nikon.

What?  I have both the Canon and Nikon 1.8 and there are only minor differences, but compare to the 1.2 you are simply nuts or kidding yourself.  If tis bag for the buck then I prefer my Simga 1.4 but that isn't the point.

Ben did a great job as expected, but the real story is he challenged himself to not do the same thing today as he did yesterday.  Something we should all do more often.

Oct 30 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
What?  I have both the Canon and Nikon 1.8 and there are only minor differences, but compare to the 1.2 you are simply nuts or kidding yourself.

The Canon 1.2 50mm is a different type of lens. Has a look of it's own wide open, but is far from a good lens. It is rife with aberrations, not a sharp lens and poor contrast.

https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Lens-Tests/ISO-12233/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.2-L-USM-Lens/Crop3/2008-08-18-22-04-26.jpg
Canon 50mm 1.2L @ 1.8

https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Lens-Tests/ISO-12233/Nikon-50mm-f-1.8G-AF-S-Lens/Crop3/2011-08-20_14-59-51.jpg
Nikon 50mm 1.8G @ 1.8

Also I would not compare the Canon 50mm 1.8 II with the Nikon 50mm 1.8g.

The Nikon is far better. Just a 7 curved blade iris compared to a 5 blade iris on the canon.
Stop the Canon down just one stop and you get pentagon highlight spots in the bokeh.

The Nikon is sharper and with better contrast.

https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Lens-Tests/ISO-12233/Nikon-50mm-f-1.8G-AF-S-Lens/Crop1/2011-08-20_14-59-51.jpg
Nikon 50mm 1.8G

https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Lens-Tests/ISO-12233/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.8-II-Lens/Crop1/2008-08-23-09-26-18.jpg
Canon 50mm 1.8 II

That said the Canon is a really cheap lens and if used at f8 it's a nifty cheap lens.
It's about half the price of the Nikon.

Both the Canon 50mm and Nikon 50mm 1.8 lenses are damn good for the price.

Oct 30 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Looks good. Congrats.

Oct 30 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Legacys 7 wrote:
Looks good. Congrats.

Thanks... and yes the Nikkor 85mm f1.8G is sharper than the f1.4 G. I had both and returned the 85G f1.4 and kept the 85 f1.8G. smile

Oct 31 13 06:21 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I do agree with you on the contrast Fred, the Canon is not as good as it should be and it's why I have the Sigma.

Oct 31 13 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Sendu wrote:

Wow. Seriously impressive. Captivating.

On the colour shots, how are you getting those tones? Are you doing the retouching yourself, or who does it for you? Is there anyone on MM that can do that level of colour grading?

Our retouching is decided between in-house and outsourced to our retouching artists. We have two in fact.

Oct 31 13 06:44 am Link

Photographer

JBerman Photography

New York, New York, US

beautiful work - love the top b&w shot (G lens)
was very curious about the location...thanks for the credits.

Oct 31 13 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Solofotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Beautiful shots and especially the one with the tower in the backround.

Oct 31 13 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
What?  I have both the Canon and Nikon 1.8 and there are only minor differences, but compare to the 1.2 you are simply nuts or kidding yourself.  If tis bag for the buck then I prefer my Simga 1.4 but that isn't the point.

The 1.2 has horrendous auto focusing issues, the 1.4 even worse.  Sigma image quality is the best out of them all, but the AF is completely unreliable.

Oct 31 13 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
I do agree with you on the contrast Fred, the Canon is not as good as it should be and it's why I have the Sigma.

I'm planning buying the sigma 85mm. Looked at it last week.

Oct 31 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
Our retouching is decided between in-house and outsourced to our retouching artists. We have two in fact.

Retouching can make a huge difference an average pic can be transformed into quiet a superb image.
Choice of retouchers is very important like Ionut Matache.

Oct 31 13 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

JBerman Photography wrote:
beautiful work - love the top b&w shot (G lens)
was very curious about the location...thanks for the credits.

Shangri-la Hotel in the Shangri-la Suite, Paris, France.

Oct 31 13 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Love the style, but...  is "scorn" the new expression?  wink

Oct 31 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Smedley Whiplash wrote:

Funny smile

Oct 31 13 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Smedley Whiplash wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
Funny smile

Scornful tongue

Oct 31 13 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

James Moro Photography

Bend, Oregon, US

love the nikon sharpness.  looks like you could cut yourself on those sharp edges!

I too and super stoked on shooting wide open now that I can trust my camera's AF accuracy --coming from canon 5Dii.

Oct 31 13 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I love my 50/1.8D --- it's sharp as fuck at f/2.2, but the OOF area can be VERY ugly... still love it though.

Oct 31 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
This was shot with the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 G series lens:

-JAY- wrote:
Dear people who keep saying 50/1.8s are pieces of junk and nobody should ever consider using them in a professional capacity,

Suck it.

That same thought came to my mind.

Oct 31 13 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

-JAY- wrote:

I love my 50/1.8D --- it's sharp as fuck at f/2.2, but the OOF area can be VERY ugly... still love it though.

You might want to test out the G series.

Nov 01 13 04:27 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Such a lot of misguided information on here, as usual! Anyone reading this would think that unless a lens was a Nikon G series then it must be utterly useless! When in reality nothing could be further from the truth!

I'll bet my 22 year old Nikon AF-N 50mm 1.8 is as sharp and contrasty as any Chinese made G lens! Sharper more likely!

Nov 01 13 05:31 am Link

Photographer

GlamourPhotoChicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

natural light?

Nov 01 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

GlamourPhotoChicago wrote:
natural light?

Yes and a silver cloth reflector.

Nov 01 13 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

London Fog wrote:
Such a lot of misguided information on here, as usual! Anyone reading this would think that unless a lens was a Nikon G series then it must be utterly useless! When in reality nothing could be further from the truth!

I'll bet my 22 year old Nikon AF-N 50mm 1.8 is as sharp and contrasty as any Chinese made G lens! Sharper more likely!

Pardon?

Nov 01 13 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
Yes and a silver cloth reflector.

wow. natural light. others have argued natural light was purely for hobbyists and that it is counter productive to making a living.

hmmm....

Nov 01 13 10:57 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lee K wrote:

The 1.2 has horrendous auto focusing issues, the 1.4 even worse.  Sigma image quality is the best out of them all, but the AF is completely unreliable.

Mine on both Nikon and Canon almost never miss, far better than the 1st party 1.4s.  As someone pointed out the AF on the Canon is hit or miss on the 50 and 85L.  Heck the 85 1.8 is faster and more accurate.

Again nice work Ben

Nov 01 13 11:04 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Nikon's 85mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.8G are awesome..  I did a photo shoot few days ago with the D800 and 85mm f1.8G combo and the sharpness of the baby's eyes put big smile on my face.  The baby's parents just said "Wow" when they saw the image at 100% view.

Nov 01 13 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

wow. natural light. others have argued natural light was purely for hobbyists and that it is counter productive to making a living.

hmmm....

PPffftt one of the best has to be Neil Kirk... or Captain Kirk.

http://www.patriciamcmahon.com/person/neil-kirk/

Off one of his agents.

Nov 01 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

London Fog wrote:

Which 22 years old Nikon AF-N 50mm f1.8 is that?

The Nikon's G series kick butt as compared to older Nikon lenses.

Nov 01 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Which 22 years old Nikon AF-N 50mm f1.8 is that?

The Nikon's G series kick butt as compared to older Nikon lenses.

Can you prove that? Just saying it for the sake of it doesn't tell us much really?

There are plenty of Japanese made Nikkors and Canon's that will leave this new plastic junk stuff in the dust!

Nov 01 13 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London Fog wrote:

I quote my own quote, the newer G version also suffers with more distortion than the older 1.8D, which itself is regarded as being inferior to the awesome 1.8 AF-N introduced in 1991 (one of Nikon's sharpest ever lenses tested).

Will I be getting the G version, hell no!

...but to keep things on topic, and if haven't already mentioned it, great work Benjamin!

Nov 01 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

London Fog wrote:

I quote my own quote, the newer G version also suffers with more distortion than the older 1.8D, which itself is regarded as being inferior to the awesome 1.8 AF-N introduced in 1991 (one of Nikon's sharpest ever lenses tested).

Will I be getting the G version, hell no!

...but to keep things on topic, and if haven't already mentioned it, great work Benjamin!

What was the topic?

Nov 01 13 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Moderator Warning!
Lets stop the silly arguements and get back on track.

Nov 01 13 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Ben, great work.  Thanks for sharing.  Sorry for the interruption.

Nov 01 13 05:57 pm Link