Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Edit: I bumped because i shot a model in one of the units today... Pics down below! Or, you can enjoy the real estate shots, up to your personal preference wink

Well, since this forum is sort-of for bragging and/or sharing (Granted, it isn't a photo of a beautiful model..sorry guys, I'll do better next time! tongue ), I'm ecstatic and proud anyway-- I just spent the last 7 months (and way too much time, mostly because I'm OCD!) photographing interiors, exteriors and neighborhood shots for 22 rental properties- mostly older historical buildings- and over 300 individual units. Finished the last unit this evening- and now my client can finally go live with his new website smile

(Note: I "blew out" the windows in each of these on purpose; as this is all for section 8 housing and it's a good way to stop myself from getting too fancy and arty for the clientele they'll be drawing in!).

Anyway, here's a few... I just wanted to show off a few interior shots. Historical buildings may be high maintenance, but they have such character it's amazing to see and oh so much fun! In a world where all modern houses and apartments look exactly the same, these are a breath of fresh air.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/11346221906_7c2fc8da84_c.jpg
214 Pine St Unit 3L-110 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/11346422836_b34df5636a_c.jpg
214 Pine St Unit 3L-77 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7304/11346493383_861d529583_c.jpg
214 Pine St Unit 3L-63 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/11346226776_342f4c8f9f_c.jpg
211 Walnut St 3L-40 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5502/11346258466_7e38f64aa0_c.jpg
76 Chapin St 2R-57 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/11346262746_b7cb50dcea_c.jpg
92 Jackson St Unit 1L-32 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3680/11346269496_7293743f99_c.jpg
196 Oak St 4L-80 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3828/11346354773_0e666486f1_c.jpg
66 Sorrento 2L-55 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr

Dec 12 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Those are some great rooms, and great work showing them off so well.

Dec 12 13 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Those are some great rooms, and great work showing them off so well.

Thank you ! smile I got lucky in that my client has basically let me do my own thing- so I can get creative and arty (the arty shots aren't necessarily what i'm uploading to his website though) as well as traditional; he just sat back and enjoyed the ride, so to speak, and his business profits because of it. He's already told me he's getting more traffic through the door since he started using the shots. So... Woo! borat

Dec 12 13 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wonderful detail in what looks to be difficult lighting situations. Did you combine bracketed layers, or HDR by any chance?

Dec 12 13 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Section 8?
ok. It's official. I am declaring poverty and moving to Amherst.

Fantastic work!

Hell, I'd rent one just to have a place to shoot with spaces like that.

Dec 12 13 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Robert Randall wrote:
Wonderful detail in what looks to be difficult lighting situations. Did you combine bracketed layers, or HDR by any chance?

Thanks Robert- that means a lot, especially coming from you! I didn't do any layer bracketing or HDR processing (though I did take several exposures so I could decide later which ones I liked best). I did make creative use of a polarizing filter, though, to help with window reflections on the wood floors and on some of the walls. These are pretty much just my D800 on vivid color (for a little extra color oomph, otherwise they look too muted compared to the actual apartment) with a few small contrast adjustments. All that urban exploration experience came in handy-- I'm using long expoures at ISO 100, f8 or 9 depending.

Marc Damon wrote:
Section 8?

Fantastic work!

Thank you! Hehehe, the apartment's are in Holyoke- Amherst is still a rich persons area... but honestly, there are a few apartments I went into that I would hijack and live and shoot in any day. Some of the wood floors are amazing!

Before the first (pink trimmed windows) one is rented out, I want to try and get a model in there next week. The owner of all the buildings has offered up any of the apartments for me to shoot in should I so desire as long as they aren't rented, and also his large (fancy) out in the Boston area for me to play in. Woo!

Dec 12 13 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Nice work! You definitely gotta get a model in there....

Dec 12 13 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Those are cool, the double pocket doors remind me of being back in Chicago.

Dec 12 13 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Marin Photography NYC wrote:
Nice work! You definitely gotta get a model in there....

I'm working on getting a girl in there, as long as it doesn't rent before next Tuesday. Now that 99.9% of the work is done! I can play. Woo hoo!!

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Those are cool, the double pocket doors remind me of being back in Chicago.

Was that a normal thing out there? I've never encountered them before I started photographing these apartments.

Thank you both!

Dec 12 13 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

I love those shots! From the little interior work I've done, I know it can be a challenging thing.

Dec 12 13 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

CHAD ALAN wrote:
I love those shots! From the little interior work I've done, I know it can be a challenging thing.

Thank you! And yes, in a way, interiors can be a pain in the butt like no other. Especially if there's too much light and there are sunspots and reflections on the wall, but at least the color temp is warm. Or if there's not enough sun, and everything looks blue (the type of white paint actually makes a difference) and you have to add in a ton of red and yellow in post to make it look remotely inviting.

Dec 13 13 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Yeah, I know i'm sort of bumping an 'old' thread, but I actually did a photoshoot in one of them today for those who were curious to see! big_smile

The back lighting sure takes some getting used to. Wish it had been sunnier, but there was a blizzard outside so I made do.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/11427612056_38f0abed76_c.jpg
Jenn by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/11427614994_186ba00ea9_c.jpg
Jenn-18 by Liska Rial Eman, on Flickr

Dec 17 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Pocket doors were popular in the first half of the last century, but went out of fashion around WW II, in part because they are horrible to repair if the wheels or track they ride on goes bad. Repair often requires tearing out a wall, and since that means lath and plaster, not sheet rock, which was not used before the war, putting the wall back after the repair is expensive. I used to own a house built about 1920 that had some pocket doors, and we avoided closing them because the tracks were marginal, and while we could jimmy 'em back into place, it was clear that one day they were going to come down and we wouldn't get them back without major repairs.

This house was not in Chicago, btw, but here in Virginia.

Dec 17 13 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SPierce Photography wrote:
I just spent the last 7 months (and way too much time, mostly because I'm OCD!) photographing interiors, exteriors and neighborhood shots for 22 rental properties- mostly older historical buildings- and over 300 individual units. Finished the last unit this evening- and now my client can finally go live with his new website smile

Great job!

Seriously!

I am also working occasionally with a real estate firm in NYC, shooting houses or apartments for their listings and brochures.

Nice little side gigs... smile

Dec 17 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

udor wrote:
Great job!

Seriously!

I am also working occasionally with a real estate firm in NYC, shooting houses or apartments for their listings and brochures.

Nice little side gigs... smile

Thanks! I love real estate/architectural. It's my absolute favorite thing to do!

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Pocket doors were popular in the first half of the last century, but went out of fashion around WW II, in part because they are horrible to repair if the wheels or track they ride on goes bad. Repair often requires tearing out a wall, and since that means lath and plaster, not sheet rock, which was not used before the war, putting the wall back after the repair is expensive. I used to own a house built about 1920 that had some pocket doors, and we avoided closing them because the tracks were marginal, and while we could jimmy 'em back into place, it was clear that one day they were going to come down and we wouldn't get them back without major repairs.

This house was not in Chicago, btw, but here in Virginia.

Oh yeah, I believe that! Some of the doors open, some don't, some were painted over or locked shut, probably because of maintenance reasons!

Dec 17 13 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Nicely done, you've brought those beautiful, old places to life  .  .  .  the floors really stand out  .  .  .  I have a friend, Steve Allen, who shoots quite a bit for Architectural Digest, he's always telling me how challenging it is to really capture the look, and feel of a beautiful space  .  .  .  much continued success!!!

SOS

Dec 17 13 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

sospix wrote:
Nicely done, you've brought those beautiful, old places to life  .  .  .  the floors really stand out  .  .  .  I have a friend, Steve Allen, who shoots quite a bit for Architectural Digest, he's always telling me how challenging it is to really capture the look, and feel of a beautiful space  .  .  .  much continued success!!!

SOS

Wow, thank you very much! wink I fell in love with some of these units while I was shooting... I hope he gets another bunch of buildings so I can go through and shoot some more!

Dec 17 13 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Very well done! None of the Section 8 housing I saw in my newspaper years looked like that!

And yes, it's often better to blow the windows out than to show what's outside them - and complicate things by balancing exposure and color temperature.

Dec 17 13 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Camerosity wrote:
Very well done! None of the Section 8 housing I saw in my newspaper years looked like that!

And yes, it's often better to blow the windows out than to show what's outside them - and complicate things by balancing exposure and color temperature.

Thank you! And he does have his fair share of *ahem* rough buildings! but if you go in with a neutral view a lot of them are quite beautiful and were a pleasure to photograph! I always wondered about the blowing out of the windows and if they were too distracting being a huge spot of just white in the middle of the shot. I figured layering would be a bad idea since I didn't want to get fancy accidentally end up drawing the wrong audience for him...

Dec 17 13 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Lake City, Florida, US

What is going on with the floors in the first unit you posted? Looks like a cvt or asphalt type tile, but looks like they coated them with something. Look at the edges around the baseboards and by the radiator. You can see the line.

Dec 18 13 04:25 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

P O T T S wrote:
What is going on with the floors in the first unit you posted? Looks like a cvt or asphalt type tile, but looks like they coated them with something. Look at the edges around the baseboards and by the radiator. You can see the line.

I think it's a paint or a caulk line?

Dec 18 13 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Yeah, I know i'm sort of bumping an 'old' thread, but I actually did a photoshoot in one of them today for those who were curious to see! big_smile

The back lighting sure takes some getting used to. Wish it had been sunnier, but there was a blizzard outside so I made do.

I LOVE the second pic! Magnificent down to the dress matching the highlights on the window frames!

The first one is very well done also, just not my taste I suppose. Ms. Dietrich aside, I've never really been a fan of women in men's clothing unless she's wearing nothing but my silk button down from the night before to happily prance around the house in the morning light.

Dec 18 13 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Bill M

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Love the red & white, and look at the fab light !! ~

Dec 18 13 08:59 am Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Cool work. Love the character of the buildings, too.

Dec 18 13 09:02 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Marc Damon wrote:
Section 8?

Fantastic work!

I'm saying

Love the wood floors

OP you done good -- I want to live in any one of the places you photographed and I think that is the intention

Dec 18 13 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Marc Damon wrote:

I LOVE the second pic! Magnificent down to the dress matching the highlights on the window frames!

The first one is very well done also, just not my taste I suppose. Ms. Dietrich aside, I've never really been a fan of women in men's clothing unless she's wearing nothing but my silk button down from the night before to happily prance around the house in the morning light.

Thank you ! The model (jennifer) actually designed the dress. She's in my photos here with another dress she had made... would like to start her own fashion line! I've been helping her out as I can smile

and that's fair - she wasn't actually planning on shooting in it - but it was so cute on her I couldn't resist putting her in there ! We did some minus pants with just high heels, too.

KungPaoChic wrote:

I'm saying

Love the wood floors

OP you done good -- I want to live in any one of the places you photographed and I think that is the intention

Babalon Salome wrote:
Cool work. Love the character of the buildings, too.

Bill M wrote:
Love the red & white, and look at the fab light !! ~

Thank you folks- I'm extremely happy with them. smile

Dec 18 13 04:58 pm Link