Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > Some of my work on Nightline...what?

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

So last September I get a message on Facebook from someone claiming to be a producer for ABC's Nightline.

She was requesting permission to use photos of mine for a story they did on a formal model, Nicole Weider, who at the time I took her photos and she was in Maxim, she was Nicole Scione.

The story covers two models, if you want to get to my stuff, skip about half way...

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/63053625.jpg

Dec 12 13 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Not the story I was expecting lol.  But do hope the potential exposure from doing the photo brings you business.  smile

Dec 12 13 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I remember her story when it first came out when she was on Good Morning America (what was it?) 6 months ago.

I don't begrudge anyone for trying something out & then giving it up.

But she comes off as an opportunist. She got what she wanted out of it (a big fat contract from Victoria's Secret), trashed the hand that fed her thereby gaining publicity, cashes in on a tell-all book deal about her experience, goes on to cash in some more of her clothing line (ironically profiting off of the very industry she's trashing).

Dec 12 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I remember her story when it first came out when she was on Good Morning America (what was it?) 6 months ago.

But she comes off as an opportunist. She got what she wanted out of it (a big fat contract from Victoria's Secret), trashed the hand that fed her thereby gaining publicity, cashes in on a tell-all book deal about her experience, goes on to cash in some more of her clothing line (ironically profiting off of the very industry she's trashing).

No....she 'is' an oportunist...... big_smile

Dec 12 13 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Will S aka Kezins wrote:
Not the story I was expecting lol.  But do hope the potential exposure from doing the photo brings you business.  smile

that's been a complete bust.  But it was fun having my stuff on TV at 1 AM. big_smile

Dec 12 13 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Farenell Photography wrote:

That was the first girl...I shot with the second girl...

Dec 12 13 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dang that's cool smile

Dec 12 13 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

That's so cool. Should have left your watermark on! lol.
And, nice shot!

Dec 12 13 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

CHAD ALAN wrote:
That's so cool. Should have left your watermark on! lol.
And, nice shot!

Didn't even think of that...I was too excited and we were rushed because she found me on a Sunday and they intended to air the piece the next night.  Spent Sunday evening digging up photos that they could use.  Then waiting for their legal to e-mail me their permission request. 

Then it ended up not airing that next night because of the hostage thing at a mall in...I think it was Kenya.  But it aired that Thursday (Friday morning).

I do like that shot...that was well before I started using modifiers for my lighting.  Direct light with two Nikon SB-800s.  Weather that day was fantastic.  I wanted to go swimming as the water felt like bath water.

Dec 13 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Did ABC pay you anything?

Dec 13 13 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

No.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0n8r7miwNPY/SW1SJU9hFCI/AAAAAAAAABI/O1Ld8rgIssI/s320/BANANA_sad.jpg

Dec 13 13 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Christopher Hartman wrote:

No.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0n8r7miwNPY/SW1SJU9hFCI/AAAAAAAAABI/O1Ld8rgIssI/s320/BANANA_sad.jpg

Fuck it - who cares!?

WELL DONE! Great photography. smile

Dec 13 13 09:09 am Link

Photographer

JC Strick

Dalton, Georgia, US

do like that shot...that was well before I started using modifiers for my lighting.  Direct light with two Nikon SB-800s.  Weather that day was fantastic.

That's fantastic!
big_smile

'Grats!

Dec 13 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

...that was well before I started using modifiers for my lighting.  Direct light with two Nikon SB-800s.

Well, apparently it was the right thing to do - you nailed the lighting.

Congrats on your score.  What's your plan for the next one?

Dec 14 13 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

No.

You do realize, of course, that THEY made hundreds of thousands of dollars (probably, certainly at least tens of thousands) from your image, right? And you got nothing? And folks here are celebrating the fleecing you got???

Dec 14 13 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
You do realize, of course, that THEY made hundreds of thousands of dollars (probably, certainly at least tens of thousands) from your image, right? And you got nothing? And folks here are celebrating the fleecing you got???

could have been worse. http://natethayer.wordpress.com/2013/12 … life-work/

Dec 14 13 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Managing Light wrote:

Well, apparently it was the right thing to do - you nailed the lighting.

Congrats on your score.  What's your plan for the next one?

Which next one?

Dec 15 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You do realize that story was going to run with or without those photos and they'd have made the same amount of money.

You also know this forum is about "hey, look at me, rah rah rah".  If you have a complaint about this, start an appropriate thread in an appropriate forum.

It's this type of comment that I didn't post anything about this when it happened last Sept. I knew some "know it all" would come in and rant their self-righteous opinion.

Dec 15 13 11:57 am Link

Retoucher

BrunetteGrenade

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Way to rain on someone's parade, jeeeez

Congrats on the airing of your image, that's awesome

Dec 17 13 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

BrunetteGrenade wrote:

Way to rain on someone's parade, jeeeez

Congrats on the airing of your image, that's awesome

Thank you. big_smile

Dec 18 13 08:24 am Link

Photographer