Photographer

J Griffin

Bangor, Maine, US

I was so excited to bring my humble camera and humbler skill level into an actual studio with an actual, magnificent model for the first time and see if I should continue or just quit now!  (In order to get my 4 pics to get on MM, I just photographed a couple friends of mine). Well, there's no Terry Richardson here, but I'm actually pretty pleased with myself.  I was mentally prepared for this to be a colossal failure, but I don't think it turned out that way.  Welcome to my humble beginning.  Big kudos to Krystal-Lynn for making these look as great as they do.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131221/13/52b60f5e30697_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131221/14/52b60ff08b8c0_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131221/14/52b611a57bdb0_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131221/13/52b60ed487251_m.jpg

Dec 21 13 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

So this was a milestone of sorts based on your description, right? smile

Well, kudos to you. My favorite image is the one you used as your avi with the blue background. Was it a lot easier for you to work with an experienced model in a studio, compared to the friends you have shot in the past?

Dec 21 13 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

J Griffin

Bangor, Maine, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Well, kudos to you. My favorite image is the one you used as your avi with the blue background. Was it a lot easier for you to work with an experienced model in a studio, compared to the friends you have shot in the past?

Yes, precisely, this was a milestone for me.  I'm a bit of an over-thinker, so I really didn't want to work with an experienced model until I felt I had at least a bit of an idea of what I was doing.  In the days leading up, I rode the roller coaster of "I'm going to kill this!" to "I should just call and cancel because there's no way I'm going to make this worthwhile."  I'm super glad I didn't give in to that second bit.

Was it easier with an experienced model?  At this point, much, much.  When I did the very first shoot, with my friend in the hotel room, she just ripped clothes off and said, "Ok, what do you want me to do?"  We had talked briefly about shooting nudes, but I hadn't fully expected her to do so.  I was so stunned, I shot at the wrong speed for half the shoot and never even flipped over to RAW.  Yup, shot the whole thing in JPEG.  Anyway, it was much better with my second friend, but I would ask her for things and she would have no idea what I was talking about, and laugh, and then not change what she was doing. I felt like I was communicating ok, but she had a hard time expressing.  With a model, when I asked for fierce, fierce was what I got.  There's something really raw about the inexperienced subjects that I really appreciated and I would love to do some more of that in the future, but I want to feel more comfortable behind the camera first.  That way, when I have to guide them, it's not such a distraction that I forget to get my end right.

Dec 22 13 06:18 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:

J Griffin wrote:
Yes, precisely, this was a milestone for me.  I'm a bit of an over-thinker, so I really didn't want to work with an experienced model until I felt I had at least a bit of an idea of what I was doing.  In the days leading up, I rode the roller coaster of "I'm going to kill this!" to "I should just call and cancel because there's no way I'm going to make this worthwhile."  I'm super glad I didn't give in to that second bit.

Was it easier with an experienced model?  At this point, much, much.  When I did the very first shoot, with my friend in the hotel room, she just ripped clothes off and said, "Ok, what do you want me to do?"  We had talked briefly about shooting nudes, but I hadn't fully expected her to do so.  I was so stunned, I shot at the wrong speed for half the shoot and never even flipped over to RAW.  Yup, shot the whole thing in JPEG.  Anyway, it was much better with my second friend, but I would ask her for things and she would have no idea what I was talking about, and laugh, and then not change what she was doing. I felt like I was communicating ok, but she had a hard time expressing.  With a model, when I asked for fierce, fierce was what I got.  There's something really raw about the inexperienced subjects that I really appreciated and I would love to do some more of that in the future, but I want to feel more comfortable behind the camera first.  That way, when I have to guide them, it's not such a distraction that I forget to get my end right.

There are times when I'm on a roller coaster as well, because the more you push yourself to try new things, the more you leave your comfort zone and that's a good thing.

The great thing about experienced models, is when you say "come off your heels a bit", "bring your left knee up", or ask for a certain emotion, they know exactly what you want smile

Oh, and I too like working with inexperienced but unabashed newbies, for their zeal and energy.

Dec 22 13 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Personal Photograph

Davenport, Iowa, US

We all started somewhere.  Looks like you're off to a good start.

Dec 22 13 12:18 pm Link