Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/11635021763_c505b5af55_c.jpg

Old photo-shoot revisited  found this among the photos decided to give it a shot. Not all perfect photos are good photos and not all good photos are perfect photos.

Dec 30 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

That's what rules iz for, ain't it  .  .  .  wink  Nicely done  .  .  .

SOS

Dec 30 13 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Do you break the rules just for the sake of breaking rules or do you break them for a good and beneficial reason?

Dec 30 13 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

What rules did you break?

Dec 30 13 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Sidney Kapuskar

Paris, Île-de-France, France

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Same here...

Are you talking about image crop?
If yes, the crop in the forehead is a bit rough to my taste.

Dec 30 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

rule of thirds, chopping limbs, composition that typically doesn't work. Things that wouldn't be technically correct and that people usually point out as wrong when they see it.

Dec 30 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
Do you break the rules just for the sake of breaking rules or do you break them for a good and beneficial reason?

I break them when I like an image enough  that even though it doesn't follow the rules I still use it because I like it.

Dec 30 13 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

A-M-P wrote:

rule of thirds, chopping limbs, composition that typically doesn't work. Things that wouldn't be technically correct and that people usually point out as wrong when they see it.

Nope. Crop is perfectly fine. Very good photograph. I see no rules broken.

Dec 30 13 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

+1 It's a nice photo, cropping of the forehead isn't a rule to break is it? I thought you could do that. hmm

Dec 30 13 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Erlinda wrote:
+1 It's a nice photo, cropping of the forehead isn't a rule to break is it? I thought you could do that. hmm

I posted this same shot in a critic site and they all told me the composition was bad and wrong lol So I don't know really lol ah well I guess I didn't break any then lol hahaha

I have to be honest I never follow any compositional guidelines or rules. I just go with whatever I like in my viewfinder. Is odd that when I do try to follow it I feel constricted.

Dec 30 13 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

A-M-P wrote:

I posted this same shot in a critic site and they all told me the composition was bad and wrong lol So I don't know really lol ah well I guess I didn't break any then lol hahaha

I like the photo!   smile

Dec 30 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

T Smalls Photography

Bakersfield, California, US

A-M-P wrote:

I like it.  A lot. Art is subjective and dynamic.  What's a broken rule today, could be industry standard tomorrow.

Dec 30 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

One learns the rules of perspective and composition as a stepping stone - 

haphazard perspective and composition may yield the occasional happy accident

but until someone learns sufficient fundamentals to be able to repeat results and gain consistency,  they don't usually have the foundation necessary to understand the dynamic effect of these upon the finished image (unless they are a born talent)

Once you understand the effect of composition and perspective on an image, you begin to see different possibilities that offer dynamic results....

the rules are meant to be learnt,  and meant to be "broken" - really transcended - by those who have learnt them....

Dec 30 13 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

I love it. Keep on breakin' them!

Dec 30 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
One learns the rules of perspective and composition as a stepping stone - 

haphazard perspective and composition may yield the occasional happy accident

but until someone learns sufficient fundamentals to be able to repeat results and gain consistency,  they don't usually have the foundation necessary to understand the dynamic effect of these upon the finished image (unless they are a born talent)

Once you understand the effect of composition and perspective on an image, you begin to see different possibilities that offer dynamic results....

the rules are meant to be learnt,  and meant to be "broken" - really transcended - by those who have learnt them....

Too many words, but exactly right. One can only break the rules if one knows the rules.

Dec 30 13 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Forum rule? big_smile

I remember asking Marie Dupree about a photo of hers where everything was in the frame, except for one elbow.  I don't remember her exact response so hopefully she'll forgive me if she sees this and I'm misrepresenting what she told me, but it essentially was, to my recollection, "if I like the image, damn be the rules."  I think she also said something about fretting about those rules and getting frustrated when she liked an image.

After our exchange, I relaxed a lot more myself and didn't worry if I cut off a pinky.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080508/02/48229b97b8431_m.jpg

although, to be perfectly honest...I'd rather that pinky be in the photo...however, it's still one of my favorite photos.

Dec 30 13 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

A-M-P wrote:

I have to be honest I never follow any compositional guidelines or rules. I just go with whatever I like in my viewfinder. Is odd that when I do try to follow it I feel constricted.

Hmmmmmm, to each their own I guess.... But I like it either way smile

Dec 30 13 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Erlinda wrote:

The tighter you are on the face, the more of it you can crop.  In her photo, the crop is...let's just say, not common.

it's a great photo. I like it. For me, if that is the image, I wouldn't sweat it.  If the original is looser and shows more of her head, then I would redo the image. But as I said, I still think it's great photo as presented to us.

Dec 30 13 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

That's pretty much a "Wow!" in my thinking. I'd know what to do with that in my arena. Really nice.

Dec 30 13 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

A-M-P wrote:

Which is all fine if you did it to create "initial impact" which this image has PLENTY of. Initial impact is what advertisers look for. It stops people from turning pages and/or looking away. If an image doesn't reach out and grab a person's attention, advertisers aren't happy.

OK...so maybe there's no product and no advertiser, it still has initial impact and I stopped to look at it. So, to me, it's successful.

Dec 30 13 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX

Tifton, Georgia, US

Mike Kelcher wrote:

Which is all fine if you did it to create "initial impact" which this image has PLENTY of. Initial impact is what advertisers look for. It stops people from turning pages and/or looking away. If an image doesn't reach out and grab a person's attention, advertisers aren't happy.

OK...so maybe there's no product and no advertiser, it still has initial impact and I stopped to look at it. So, to me, it's successful.

THE WORDS SPOKEN BY ONE OF MODEL MAYHEM'S TRUE MASTERS!

HAPPY NEW YEAR MIKE!

Dec 30 13 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

A-M-P wrote:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/11635021763_c505b5af55_c.jpg

Old photo-shoot revisited  found this among the photos decided to give it a shot. Not all perfect photos are good photos and not all good photos are perfect photos.

Post this in critique (again) if you want to know.

Dec 30 13 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Neutron

Santa Rosa, California, US

as they say, rules were made to be broken. you don't want your art to look like every one else's anyway. trust yourself. this photograph works-- damn the "rules."

Dec 30 13 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

A-M-P wrote:

Amen!

Dec 31 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Dec 31 13 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Newport News, Virginia, US

I like the shot.
I treat rules in photography, like I treated doctrine in the Air Force (and I actually wrote a very tiny part of some USAF doctrine).

It is something to be followed when you have nothing better to go on.

The full Air Force Mantra is
Doctrine is to be followed when you can think of nothing else better than sitting on your rear looking like you don't know what you are doing. At least by following doctrine you may look like an ass, but you won't look like a fool.

Jan 02 14 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

A-M-P wrote:

But you did frame the shot for the dress... And the composition works. Sometimes all the rules don't always apply all at once.

The only one that really sticks out, rules that were broken, is you didn't retouch her armpit.

IMO

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jan 02 14 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There are no rules. Just some guidelines, take them as you will. smile

Jan 02 14 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

tony

San Diego, California, US

Yes, her hands aren't in the frame and of course the top of her head. I still like the shot : P

Jan 02 14 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

https://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab149/cusco4/pablocasal_zps699267e7.png

I would consider this portrait rule breaking!

Jan 04 14 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

A-M-P wrote:

Typically yes some rules have been broken but it is a nice photo.

Jan 04 14 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Breaking rules is OK as long as you do know the rules!

smile

Jan 04 14 12:35 pm Link