Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > A Review of 2013 - How did it treat you?

Photographer

Swank Photography

Key West, Florida, US

Laura Dark Photography wrote:
In 2013:

I shot 365 sets of images and 16,000 frames or an average of 44 frames per set.

I only shot on one day a week which means I shot 7 sets every time I set foot in the studio.

I shot 12 magazine covers and had 43 publications including 2 featured editorials in Gothic Beauty Magazine.

I shot a CD cover and had an image on the poplar Tv show, FaceOff and shot Wednesday Mourning from Oddities: San Francisco.

I made a video on youtube of some of my favorite images from 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWenIZwJXJk

How did 2013 treat you?

Major congrats!!!!!

Yeah 2013 was a good year for me overall...in going over my books for that year I found while I ended up shooting less (I wasn't happy about that at all), I ended up making actually more money and my overhead was really low.

So on the upside I think it was a good year with about 10% increase in repeat clients in some areas.

Jan 01 14 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Swank Photography wrote:
Major congrats!!!!!

Yeah 2013 was a good year for me overall...in going over my books for that year I found while I ended up shooting less (I wasn't happy about that at all), I ended up making actually more money and my overhead was really low.

So on the upside I think it was a good year with about 10% increase in repeat clients in some areas.

I had a lot of repeat clients too this year, more than I ever did before.  I had 4 separate clients that came back 5 or more times for different sets.

Jan 01 14 04:40 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

2012 was probably the worst year of my life, so 2013 was definitely better than 2012. I actually got an apartment in March that I could afford, which made 2013 a step up for me.

It still sucked pretty hard though. I'm trying to be optimistic about 2014.

I've had a rough couple of years in general. Things have to start improving at some point, so I just keep plodding along. Don't really have much of a choice in the matter.

Jan 01 14 04:54 pm Link

Model

Lela Jesse

Shasta Lake, California, US

2013 was one of the worst years of my young life.

I became completely estranged from my father, and thank goodness His horrible wife.

I finished my first year of college and started my second, but I am 700 miles from my family, and didn't make any real friends until the last few months.

I had all kinds of other family issues, and hopefully will be resolved this time around, because it was total BS.

My boyfriends mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She's still fighting, but its been a rough 6 months.

But 2013 also had some good times.

I met quite a few lovely photographers, and got to shoot a bit more than I expected to.

I reconnected with a very very good friend and am very thankful for that.

I adopted my 2 rats about 11 months ago, and they have become one of the best little friends I could ask for. I also rescued the cutest little girl rat, and she's a joy as well. Pets make my life so much more complete.

I finally obtained a job, and I am grateful for that.

I am so glad 2013 is over. 2014 had better be a step up, or else!

Jan 01 14 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Dark Magus wrote:
I have nothing to say except 2014 has to be better cause 2013 has been the worst year of my life.

QFT

Jan 01 14 05:51 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I had a grand total of 1 shoot. But, it meant a nice trip to Cleveland, paid. The last image taken was my and the photographer's favorite. It was in an online newsletter. Both of the masks I wore in the shoot were put in The Kinsey Institute museum. I have several photographs there as well.

I had shoulder surgery in May and my shoulder is still slightly frozen from it but I have more physical therapy approved for 2014. I had 2 eye surgeries last year they left me with weeks of bruises each time. I had a kidney infection a few weeks ago that brought me to my knees. But, in the words of my brother, it's proof I can't be killed;)

I plan to do a lot more living in 2014! That means more modeling folks.

Jan 02 14 09:17 am Link

Model

Siddy Pain

Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand

2013 was great for me! I started focusing on modeling because I was so over acting stuff. Thought I wanted to be an alt model and did a few shoots like that and found that it actually isn't me. Finally conceived number 2 after a year of trying and started modeling maternity wasn't having much luck with photographers around here then got chosen as the first ever face/bump of Bambinibabe maternity gowns! Completely by chance too because I wasn't far enough along to fit the casting call. Looking forward to 2014 I want to focus more on art and crafts smile

Jan 02 14 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Business wise not so good but creative wise I am content.

http://youtu.be/RHOCxJaJXOY

Jan 02 14 10:54 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lela Jesse wrote:
2013 was one of the worst years of my young life.

Don't worry, Lela... a decade down the road, you will have gone through so much worse crap, that you will be looking back at 2013 and thinking what a great year that was in comparison... wink

Jan 02 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

2013- It chewed me up, spit me out and off I went rolling with almost homeless and broke too! I lost my granny she was 105, I lost a friend, a job, a home, and a dog....  But I had lot's of fun! I try not to complain. Easy come, easy go...we just gotta keep the chin up and pretend you can handle it. What more can you do...

Jan 02 14 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

I did nothing that would allow me to start a thread in this forum.

I imagine 2014 will go the same way

Jan 02 14 02:37 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

SPRINGHEEL  wrote:
I did nothing that would allow me to start a thread in this forum.

I imagine 2014 will go the same way

Maybe the modeling side will?

Jan 02 14 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:

Maybe the modeling side will?

lol

Jan 02 14 03:20 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

13 was a very tough year with lots of rather mean health problems that kept me from shooting for long periods of time, lots of unproductive man drama but very few nice moments in that department, additional family drama, and working myself to the bone. Whenever I wasn't too sick to do anything, that is.
Good things that happened - got much better at my crafts, learned a lot of practical things that proved very useful (I love learning), got some work done, and matured quite a bit, I guess.

Jan 02 14 03:26 pm Link