Forums > General Industry > Online modeling and it's opportunities

Model

Amy0105

Denver, Colorado, US

So I am new to modeling and I'm starting back up again!! I'm thinking about doing suicide girls to get my name out there and make some connections at least. Is this a good move and are there other things I could do? Thankyou!!smile

Jan 12 14 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

As others will gladly tell you why . . . suicide girls is not the way to get ahead in modeling

KM

Jan 12 14 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
As others will gladly tell you why . . . suicide girls is not the way to get ahead in modeling

KM

So true.

Jan 12 14 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

m_s_photo

Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada

Yessssss, and I'm sure the OP is still waiting to hear why.

And having no personal experience with SG, I'm not going to be making stuff up.

Anyone have firsthand experience they'd like to share to help her out?

Jan 12 14 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=171818

one of many threads to start with...

Jan 12 14 07:42 pm Link

Model

Haruka Salt

Los Angeles, California, US

There are so many threads on the forum about why SG is a no go, so just look them up smile
I would really just start utilizing MM again and take advantage of its strengths. Use social media. Look for legitimate opportunities on Craigslist. Work with photographers you used to, and liked to. I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of.

Jan 12 14 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Srefis

Asheville, North Carolina, US

And here is a reddit version.

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/com … _a_racket/

Oh and I love this part!

Copy pasta direct from SG site:

7.7 Do I have to pay for a photographer?

Since it is not guaranteed your set will be accepted, we currently allow our staff photographers to ask for payment for their time. This is their own rate for their time (shooting + prepping the set), it does not go to SuicideGirls.com, this is a private agreement between you and the photographer.
Here are the rules that SuicideGirls has in place about paying for a photographer:
 Staff photographers are NEVER allowed to charge SuicideGirls. They are welcome to charge applicants and hopefuls. 

Non staff photographers are allowed to charge both SuicideGirls and hopefuls. We encourage them not to charge girls, but in the end it is up to them whether or not they charge a fee. It is up to you to look at their work and decide if you want to pay, and if not, there are many that will not charge you! You do not have to pay for a photo set if you do not want to.

Jan 12 14 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Here are some Google citations regarding suicide girls:https://www.google.com/search?q=model+mayhem+suicide+girls&oq=model+mayhem+suicide+girls&aqs=chrome..69i57.20686j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=model+mayhem+suicide+girls+forums

I haven't read through them but I get the general impression from earlier MM threads that while suicide girls is somewhat more useful for models than photographers, it doesn't seem to be a very good avenue for anyone except the site's owners.

One thing that you need to be aware of as a model is that for you to post on Suicide Girls or any other such site, you will need the permission of the photographer.  Since their system stacks the deck against the photographer, the likelihood of your getting any decent photographer to grant you permission to do so without your having paid him more than you are likely to earn, seems remote.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jan 13 14 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Suicide Girls?  You know you have to be willing to pose nude for them, right?
I notice you don't do nudes.  More opportunities would open up for you if you did.

Quoted from a model who has been there, done that;

Anonymous asked:
Can you be a suicide girl without posting naked pictures?
Or does the site want most of the girls to do that?

SG Model:  All suicide girls pose fully nude, its not most girls, its all.

Jan 13 14 02:51 pm Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

Suicide girls aren't any good. If you're going in it for money or exposure I'd say Zivity would be a lot better of a choice. Also, Zivity is non-exclusive where I believe suicide girls is.
The only good thing I've heard about suicide girls is the fan gifting. Otherwise, if you don't land the front page (which not many do) it really doesn't do you any good.

Jan 13 14 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You need to understand that Suicide Girls requires your photographer to assign his/her copyright to Suicide Girls with the maximum compensation being the princely sum of $200 IF the set is selected as set of the day.

It is hard to imagine too many sane photographers agreeing to such a one-sided bargain unless you compensate them with money from your end or you can supply time for a separate project.

Jan 13 14 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SG not really a great deal for anyone involved, and as you don't do nudes I am confused as to how the idea ever came up.

Just network here and find people in your area and build your skills and portfolio.

Jan 13 14 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

SG is suicide for your career.

Edit: any career.

Jan 13 14 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:
SG is suicide for your career.

Edit: any career.

Um ... even those who go to work for a pawn shop?
Oh wait ask Olivia Black ... she got fired from Pawn Stars!

Jan 13 14 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just have fun with it.

Jan 13 14 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Singh Style Studio

Delhi, Delhi, India

well, think twice...

Jan 13 14 10:35 pm Link

Photographer