Forums > Critique > Critique that won't quit.

Photographer

LVL Photography

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Ella Wilkes Photography wrote:

Hello smile
Thanks for waiting, as said had a few family issues sad
I really love most of your port and can find little to fault! I loove the yellow lit bird cage image and your one of the rocker with the microphone! Killer shots! The only negatives I can find is that your fisrt two shots are too dark for me and I am not a fan of the pink wig ones, they need a little healing on her skin and the hair looks like a cheap wig sad
Mostly your port is strong and well done smile

Thanks very much for your comments. Glad you are doing better.  I really appreciate you taking the time to look through my images. smile

Dec 22 14 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

ShapeTheLight

Garner, North Carolina, US

Sure....

Dec 22 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kennedy StillsandFilms

Miami, Florida, US

Would love to know what you think!

Dec 23 14 06:35 am Link

Photographer

DP Demis Photography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I`m wondering too smile

Dec 23 14 07:42 am Link

Model

Kybele

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

I''d appreciate a critique of my images.

Dec 23 14 08:32 am Link

Model

_R_

New York, New York, US

I''m curious! I''d love to hear what you think.

Dec 23 14 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Melissa Wenger

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Hi Ella!  I have just liked your page (as Melissa Wenger) and would love to hear your critique when possible!

Jan 04 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

cheshiredave wrote:
Curious for your thoughts, thanks!

Thank you for waiting, as said above had a few personal things.

Now on to your collection of images smile
You have some seriously lovely fashion work there! Technically your images are beautiful and you obviously have a good sense of light direction and can capture sunlight really well. However there are some images I think aren't as strong as others, your girl on the stairs in the pink dress for eg, he toes are cut off in the frame which I can't help but let bug me and her expression to me is uncomfortable.
I think your current DP of the white dress and blonde hair is very cool! Though maybe the under chin shadow is too harsh to me.

You have a lovely portfolio in all and there aren't many faults I can find smile
Cheers
Ella

Apr 21 15 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Shatter Leaf wrote:
I'm in!   Loads of new photos, would love to hear if you like any.

Hello smile
Thank you for waiting for my personal stuff to pass.

You have a lovely port! Love your strong b&w! Especially this one, so beautiful!! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22200924 and not just the model, your lighting is stunning, the spark captured in her eye, gorgeous.
But I have to say this again,  collages do no favors to your amazing work. I have only seen two mash ups on here that I have thought have worked as they tell a dramatic story where as some feel like they are just a way to show off more images when in actual fact it just subtracts from each image. Like your hippie girl collages, you have two that look very similar and really to me you could pull just one shot from that (the topmost one) would also ditch the landscape solo that is similar. Just be careful that using that layout improves not takes away.
And maybe just me but I hate frames around images, your water girl is the most beautiful image but the frame (to me) cheapens it and makes it look like an instagram filter which is a shame cause the shot is stellar!!!
I am really only nit picking here, you have a great set of images!!
Thanks smile

Apr 21 15 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Jasmin-Mercedes wrote:
New to this, would love an unbiased opinion on my profile so far!

Hello Jasmin smile
Thank you for waiting for my reply! ♥
For a starter you have a great set of shots! smile

I am glad to see a range of expressions in your images, from smiles to sexy, always good to see, nothing worse than a models port full of one facial expression. I would watch your pout, some shots it's pushed a little too far and is a little duckish. You have an amazing body and seem to have good awareness of how it works for you.

Keep it up, you have great potential smile

Apr 21 15 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Phan Nguyen Nguyen wrote:
Your help would be kindly appreciated! smile

Hello smile
Sorry for the wait smile

You have the great beginning of a portfolio there smile a few negative points first, I don't think your dp (second image denim shorts) shows you off the best, it is, to me, a slightly corny shot and I would recommend this shot https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35557605 or https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36097413 as I feel they show a much higher fashion feel to your look. I would also recommend delete images that resemble duplicates, such as this shot, i would keep this and loose the one with your arms up as the way you are looking through your hair is brilliant https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36162366 and shows great control. Also some of your flower crown ones at the start feel repetitive.

You obviously have great dance background and work that well into shoots smile

But like I said, beautiful start of a port there and I wish you lots of luck with your journey smile

Apr 21 15 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

edgystyle wrote:

Whoa! your port is Scary good!
I'd welcome your opinion on as many pics in my port as you feel like critiquing....smile
thanks in advance

Hello smile
Thank you for waiting.

Aw thanks! big_smile I always wonder how many here actually look at the port of the person critiquing them.

You have some really amazing work and some I feel not so much and btw ADORE your subject matter wink
Let's cover the not so good first; some of your shots, I won't list them all but your dp is included, have some really flat lighting. I get a very, well, grey? I cant think of another word. There isn't enough contrast from the original light sources and to me contrast in an image is important. Like your green cabinet shot, that has great contrast, the lights pop and the darks are deep where as the gagged school girl all seems one tone to me. Some shots I see where you were going but they seem a little "I am an amateur Dom and took this mid scene" rather than photographer (like the one before the plastic bag breath play shot).

The light in the rope with the blonde model is lovely and soft without being bland and really like what you did there. Also really like the black couch bondage.

I think you are brave for the subjects you shoot, keep it up smile

Apr 21 15 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Shirin McBennett-Sheen wrote:
I am in. Got a like.

Thank you for waiting smile

Your bio etc; you need more "about me", what types of modeling do you love? Why did you start? Where do you want to end up? What do you like the most? Other hobbies? Favorite model/photographers/designers etc? The more personable you make yourself the better and I'm not one to see languages as a top priority of a model smile

Your Portfolio; Ah well there are currently 0 images in your portfolio so sorry I can't really say much there sad

Cheers
Ella

Apr 21 15 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

KeithWJordan wrote:
Don't have many in my port but I'm getting there. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your time.

Hello smile
Thank you for waiting during my health stuff.
Your portfolio, you have some really beautiful images and some I feel aren't so strong or are over edited.
The weaker ones to me are https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36242461 and https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36756106 mainly as to me the edits don't make sense. The flower crown one her skin is so over worked she looks plastic which takes away from the natural look that image should have and the light flare on the cheek of number 2 I just don't understand sorry. You have also over worked a few more faces, just try to remember to keep skin looking like skin.

You have some amazing work too tho don't forget! The blue fabric action shot is amazing as is the one with the tree and hola hoop.

Good luck, hope this helps smile

Apr 21 15 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Fred Scholpp photo wrote:
I'd love to get your feedback on mine, still feeling pretty "Newbie" about it.

Hello Fred smile

Thank you for waiting smile For a newbie you have a great start there. The best advice I can give you is practice and practice and be really critical of your owm work. I also feel you need a better grip on light and providing a light source or helping the model find it. For eg some of your shots, like this https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/37363022 here you have used the windows but the models face is away from it and here a cheap little light reflector would have done wonders. Light and shadow is your most important element in my opinion, it can make or break a shot.

But other than learning more of your light you are on a good path and wish you luck with your future shooting smile

Apr 21 15 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

Ella Wilkes Photography wrote:
Thank you for waiting

Thank you for staying true to the title of your thread, and thanks for your kind words about my work. Hope the worst of your health issues are behind you.

Apr 21 15 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Am still on catch up sorry all, am half way down page 6, if I have missed you (if you commented before the last lot posted) please say so and you will be priority.

Will try to do more today otherwise will when I can next ♥

Apr 21 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

cheshiredave wrote:
Thank you for staying true to the title of your thread.... Hope the worst of your health issues are behind you.

I think of this thread almost everyday wishing I could just do it all at once but sadly can't, but will always do what I can to get back and finish it. Thank you they are now just trying to manage it and life at the same time, really appreciate the concern ♥

Apr 21 15 10:24 pm Link

Model

Elena Antonia Pappas

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

If you still going:)

Apr 22 15 10:02 am Link

Model

Shirin Brigitte

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

0 images?!

Apr 22 15 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

SavageBeautyPortraits

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

If you got time I would be interested...

Cheers

Ant

Apr 22 15 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kane

London, England, United Kingdom

smile

Apr 26 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Shotiris

Thessaloníki, Voreia Ellada, Greece

Hello . just checked your work . well done beautiful images ..

if you have some spare time check my work thank you .

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3670808/viewall
https://www.facebook.com/SotirisFilippouPhotographer

Apr 28 15 11:37 am Link

Model

maxwell_m

Palos Verdes Estates, California, US

Would love some critique on my portfolio, although it is a bit lacking at the moment.

Thanks!

Apr 28 15 04:22 pm Link