Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ode to Fred,

I love smoked meat,,, I will die.

Feb 25 14 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

Studies have shown in Texas and any place BBQ is cooked and consumed, there will be everlasting smiles on those who partake.
EVERYTHING gives you cancer now. If I stayed away from everything that gave one lab rat out of 100,000 cancer, I'd be the boy in the plastic bubble.
There's no reason for this thread to die. BBQ away folks.

Everything "is known to cause cancer in the state of california". Therefore, stay out of california and live long and happy lives big_smile

Sex has been shown to cause multiple diseases, some of which are fatal
                             (never have sex)

Alcohol kills brain cells
                                 (don't drink)

Driving cars has been shown to cause deaths
                                (don't drive)

Sports have been linked to multiple injuries, sudden cardiac arrest (baseball), and other life-shortening issues
                                   (don't play -or watch- sports)

You'll live much longer........ but it won't be worth living!

Feb 25 14 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

beta wrote:
Ode to Fred,

I love smoked meat,,, I will die.

(sing to the tune of 'O Christmas tree')

O' Beef Brisket
O' Beef Brisket
We know thou are delectable

O' Beef Brisket
O' Beef Brisket
We want you on our table

Thy flavor is delicious
You now are on our wish list

O' Beef Brisket
O' Beef Brisket
We know thou are delectable

Feb 25 14 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

studio36uk wrote:

From time to time I like a bit of hamburger smeared on bread raw with onion, salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of Tabasco.

We would get on very well. smile

Get some kibbe nyeah from your butcher too!

Feb 25 14 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Randall D wrote:
Everything "is known to cause cancer in the state of california". Therefore, stay out of california and live long and happy lives big_smile

Sex has been shown to cause multiple diseases, some of which are fatal
                             (never have sex)

Alcohol kills brain cells
                                 (don't drink)

Driving cars has been shown to cause deaths
                                (don't drive)

Sports have been linked to multiple injuries, sudden cardiac arrest (baseball), and other life-shortening issues
                                   (don't play -or watch- sports)

The quality of life or the quantity of life? For me, the answer is very clear. I just spent a week in the hospital. The doc stuck something down every orifice he could find and took samples of my innards (after another doc made me go sleepy night-night). Tomorrow, at 11:30 a.m., I will find out the lab results - do I live or do I die? It really doesn't matter at all. I will enjoy my cigarette, shot of scotch, and a nice T-bone for dinner regardless of the outcome. Worse comes to worse, some of you will mourn my passing, others will rejoice (have a great party - I'm down with that), and the circle of life will continue as it always has and always will.

Now, back to far more interesting things like BBQ. . . . . . . .

Feb 25 14 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

studio36uk wrote:

From time to time I like a bit of hamburger smeared on bread raw with onion, salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of Tabasco. A la steak tartare but without the egg or the capers. I am really fortunate that I have a local [Halal] butcher that actually grinds beef fresh every day and sometimes grinds batches more than once in a day. I have a lot more confidence in eating that raw [or even cooked] than burger meat from any supermarket where it may have been ground up 3 or 4 months ago, was then frozen only to be defrosted before putting it out on display, and has more Air Miles than I do.

For pork, I have a second non-Halal butcher who I can actually watch cutting what I want from the primal cuts and can certify the name of the farm the pig was raised on.

Rabbit, duck, goose, pheasant, venison, turkey, chicken, and other stuff are all available from local sources. Seafood as well.

I really consider it a great good fortune of life here in the UK that there is still an artesinal butchery industry, mostly family businesses with long standing local connections.

Studio36

I'll see your raw beef and raise you raw pork (nem chua)!

Feb 25 14 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Lohkee wrote:

studio36uk wrote:
From time to time I like a bit of hamburger smeared on bread raw with onion, salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of Tabasco. A la steak tartare but without the egg or the capers. I am really fortunate that I have a local [Halal] butcher that actually grinds beef fresh every day and sometimes grinds batches more than once in a day. I have a lot more confidence in eating that raw [or even cooked] than burger meat from any supermarket where it may have been ground up 3 or 4 months ago, was then frozen only to be defrosted before putting it out on display, and has more Air Miles than I do.

For pork, I have a second non-Halal butcher who I can actually watch cutting what I want from the primal cuts and can certify the name of the farm the pig was raised on.

Rabbit, duck, goose, pheasant, venison, turkey, chicken, and other stuff are all available from local sources. Seafood as well.

I really consider it a great good fortune of life here in the UK that there is still an artesinal butchery industry, mostly family businesses with long standing local connections.

Studio36

I'll see your raw beef and raise you raw pork (nem chua)!

But not everyone is happy about this
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/23/article-2566242-1BC29AFA00000578-102_634x422.jpg

Interesting article, just today:
Why, for the sake of animals and humans, I wish all butchers' windows looked like this
www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2567 … -this.html

extract: "A high Street butcher in Suffolk has been forced to take down its window display, as shoppers are said to be offended by the sight of bits of dead animals.

Hanging pigs’ heads, limp rabbits and dead pheasants were upsetting the children.

The story may be ludicrous on the surface, but such silliness is indicative of something disturbingly wrong in our nation’s culture.

The senseless twits behind the hate campaign mounted against JBS Family Butchers of Sudbury say they are trying to protect their children from the ugliness of ‘mutilated carcasses’. ..."

Studio36

Feb 25 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Katsung

Venice, California, US

Prior to moving to Los Angeles I used to hunt and raise almost all of my meat.  I rarely ate cows.

Now that I am in LA and its so hard to hunt here I have started eating more cows.   

However, cows cant compare to good deer or elk and home raised chickens.

Too bad America is so populated now and fewer people are hunting. 

Cant wait to get out of this city and state.

Feb 25 14 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Here's a link if you'd like to order some. Don't forget the sauce.
http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/home

Hey! The closest Rudy's is near Mr. Lohkee in Goodyear, AZ

Maybe I can live vicariously through him.

http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/locations/find/92115

I'll be in Albuquerque in October, so I can pick up a Rudy's feast then and there. Thanks!

Do they serve elk in restaurants in New Mexico? I've heard there is lots of elk hunting there. I want to rent a car and explore toward northern NM for a few days.

Feb 25 14 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Pork sashimi?

Yum!

*eyeroll

Feb 25 14 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

Katsung wrote:
Prior to moving to Los Angeles I used to hunt and raise almost all of my meat.  I rarely ate cows.

Now that I am in LA and its so hard to hunt here I have started eating more cows.   

However, cows cant compare to good deer or elk and home raised chickens.

Too bad America is so populated now and fewer people are hunting. 

Cant wait to get out of this city and state.

You can get buffalo at the farmers market in Santa Monica. Grass fed and actually tasts good without having to half cremate it. I get it for my son, he loves it.

Feb 25 14 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Lohkee wrote:
The quality of life or the quantity of life? For me, the answer is very clear. I just spent a week in the hospital. The doc stuck something down every orifice he could find and took samples of my innards (after another doc made me go sleepy night-night). Tomorrow, at 11:30 a.m., I will find out the lab results - do I live or do I die? It really doesn't matter at all. I will enjoy my cigarette, shot of scotch, and a nice T-bone for dinner regardless of the outcome. Worse comes to worse, some of you will mourn my passing, others will rejoice (have a great party - I'm down with that), and the circle of life will continue as it always has and always will.

. . .

I recently hospice day very good friend through cancer till her death. I sincerely hope the doctors find nothing and you don't have to go through what my friend did with her 17 year old daughter at her bedside.

Feb 25 14 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Much the same in Italy. Local farmers, grass red, healthy looking cattle. Meat mostly sold by butchers or co-ops. American meat on the whole is nasty, hormones , excessive use of floor quinine antibiotics and other stuff banned in Europe.

Feb 25 14 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Randall D wrote:

My life not worth living?????....

I shoot the a-list and some of the most beautiful women in the world..
Snowboard, surf, kitesurf, mountain bike daily...
Eat really tasty food...

I'm 54 and my cholesterol is 105

Feb 25 14 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

The newest sensation in Houston. My buddy said the line out the door stretches round the block regularly. May check it out soon. http://www.killensbarbecue.com/

Feb 26 14 12:59 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73215000/jpg/_73215528_meat.jpg

BREAKING NEWS - - - SANITY RETURNS > IT'S BACK !

A butcher who stopped displays of dead animals in his Suffolk shop window due to complaints is to reinstate them.

JBS Family Butchers in Sudbury stopped showcasing the carcasses of seasonal produce after people threatened to boycott nearby shops.

But butcher John Sawyer, 53, said he had received "overwhelming" support in favour of displaying the produce and it would return at the weekend.

---

Mr Sawyer, who has worked as a butcher for more than 30 years, said: "I've had overwhelming public support to put the window display back, including calls from America and Germany.

---

Mr Sawyer said people were about "300 to one" in favour of the display returning.

"For a vegetarian, my window would be their worst nightmare," he said. "But they don't have to come into my shop.

[WELL SAID !]

Studio36

see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-26346472

another article: scroll down to the bottom for a short video report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-26321257

Feb 26 14 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

Fred Greissing wrote:
My life not worth living?????....

I shoot the a-list and some of the most beautiful women in the world..
Snowboard, surf, kitesurf, mountain bike daily...
Eat really tasty food...

I'm 54 and my cholesterol is 105

and from a previous post of yours.......

Fred Greissing wrote:
I recently hospice day very good friend through cancer till her death. I sincerely hope the doctors find nothing and you don't have to go through what my friend did with her 17 year old daughter at her bedside.

You do realize my comments have been tongue-in-cheek, I hope.

I cared for my mother until her death; then my father a few years later. (cancer)

I watched my father-in-law fade for years becoming only a shell of a man. (alzheimers)

And my first wife. (cancer)

My parents? one smoked, the other didn't. One drank beer, the other didn't.

Father-in-law? Didn't smoke, never drank, grew much of his own food.

1st wife? Never smoked, never drank.

My point is that a little charred meat is not a clear indication of developing cancer.
And perfectly healthy lifestyles do not promise eternal good health.

Does a "healthy" help one live longer? Statistically, it probably does. But it is no guarantee. Everyone must decide what the risks are, based on diet, lifestyle, and family medical history; then decide if certain choices are worth it for them.

To live in fear of ingesting potential carcinogens -I am not accusing you of that fear- is not good living to me. I poked a little fun at your comment to goad others into thinking about the issue.

Is grilled food a risk? Possibly. But considering the chemicals spewed into our air and water daily (and the mystery toxins injected into our groundwater from the fracking process), nuclear reactor leaks spreading across the country, medications released into the market without adequate testing, genetically modified foods -of which our esteemed congress deemed we do not have the right have them truthfully labeled- and I begin to think that a grilled piece of beef/pork/chicken is a very small risk indeed.

I only intended to jokingly "nudge you in the ribs" as it were, and hope you weren't offended by it.

BTW I'm older, my cholesterol is barely higher than yours. (not that I'm competing, mind you). And even though I played with mercury as a child, the voices in my head say I'm very sane and quite intelligent. {chuckle}

Final thought: No one gets off this planet alive (your physical body, anyway). Make your time here count for you and worth it for others

Bye. wink

Feb 26 14 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Fred Greissing wrote:

Thank you for the good thoughts Fred. As it turns out, I just got back from the doc's office and it looks like (mods/admins willing) you folks are going to have to put  up with my shenanigans for a while longer. Everything came out o.k. (pardon  the pun)  lol

Feb 26 14 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:

..............It really doesn't matter at all. I will enjoy my cigarette, shot of scotch, and.......

Wait....what happened to your $300- pour the alcohol down the sink initiative?

Feb 26 14 10:59 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Lohkee wrote:

Thank you for the good thoughts Fred. As it turns out, I just got back from the doc's office and it looks like (mods/admins willing) you folks are going to have to put  up with my shenanigans for a while longer. Everything came out o.k. (pardon  the pun)  lol

Great news, Man.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3QWE-aVn_e0/UdHuxj-XM-I/AAAAAAAANwo/rvsjRYTWB_c/s500/Miguel-Herrera.gif

Feb 26 14 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

Fred Greissing wrote:

Lohkee wrote:
Thank you for the good thoughts Fred.

Sending you the same prayers/thoughts.

Lohkee wrote:
As it turns out, I just got back from the doc's office and it looks like (mods/admins willing) you folks are going to have to put  up with my shenanigans for a while longer.

I certainly hope so! big_smile

Lohkee wrote:
Everything came out o.k. (pardon  the pun)  lol

borat

OK, you opened the pun-gate. Glad it came out alright; usually does unless they forget to deflate the balloon! roll

Feb 26 14 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I used to do a little competition BBQ cooking. smile

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1924927_10153880958025472_495806460_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1621807_10153881034190472_982762907_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1969114_10153881030025472_521795451_n.jpg

Feb 26 14 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Cherrystone wrote:

What? I'm the only one here who has had a bout of spontaneous stupidity (albeit with good intentions) after they've had a few?

FWIW, not all of the news was great today. Apparently I have some bacteria growing in my gut that can (with high probability) lead to ulcers or eventually stomach cancer. The doc put me on a cocktail of drugs ti kill it off that I will start tomorrow when my prescription is filled - he emphasized that these drugs do not mix with alcohol **at all** and told me in no uncertain terms that I would be a very very unhappy camper if I ignored his warning. So, ironically, it looks like I'm going to be totally dry after all.  lol

The "powers that be" in this universe have fired a warning shot across the bow. I've been given a second chance and I'm going to take it! That said, none of this changes in anyway the message behind my previous posts (quality of life v. the quantity of life). One has time to think when driving across the desert. Given a choice between death and a drink, I'm thinking that maybe alcohol does not really add much to the "quality of life" side of the equation given the alternative. Does this mean that I will never again enjoy a drink? Not at all. It simply means that I, not alcohol, will be in charge when the time comes.

Happy now?

Feb 26 14 11:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Lohkee wrote:
FWIW, not all of the news was great today. Apparently I have some bacteria growing in my gut that can (with high probability) lead to ulcers or eventually stomach cancer. The doc put me on a cocktail of drugs ti kill it off that I will start tomorrow when my prescription is filled - he emphasized that these drugs do not mix with alcohol **at all** and told me in no uncertain terms that I would be a very very unhappy camper if I ignored his warning. So, ironically, it looks like I'm going to be totally dry after all.  lol

The "powers that be" in this universe have fired a warning shot across the bow. I've been given a second chance and I'm going to take it! That said, none of this changes in anyway the message behind my previous posts (quality of life v. the quantity of life). One has time to think when driving across the desert. Given a choice between death and a drink, I'm thinking that maybe alcohol does not really add much to the "quality of life" side of the equation given the alternative. Does this mean that I will never again enjoy a drink? Not at all. It simply means that I, not alcohol, will be in charge when the time comes.

Happy now?

guessing - h. pylori = lovely stuff. See my PM

The good news is that after the course of antibiotic treatment you can go back to your old habits... including eating vast quantities of meat.

The bad news is that likely they will put you on a long term preventative / protective drug as well, though they, too, come with a down side.

Studio36

Feb 26 14 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

Jim Ball wrote:
I used to do a little competition BBQ cooking. smile

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1924927_10153880958025472_495806460_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1621807_10153881034190472_982762907_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1969114_10153881030025472_521795451_n.jpg

Jim, you're killing me with hunger! lol

Feb 26 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

Cherrystone wrote:

Lohkee wrote:
What? I'm the only one here who has had a bout of spontaneous stupidity (albeit with good intentions) after they've had a few?

At least you have the cover of alcohol!
I've been 'spontaneously stupid' with no excuse! lol

Lohkee wrote:
Happy now?

Only happy that your condition is treatable (and not any worse). Wishing you the best.

Feb 26 14 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

Let Us Now Praise Braise Famous Men Meat

Feb 26 14 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

stevie oetjengerdes

Boston, Massachusetts, US

scrymettet wrote:
When should we show up ?
We will bring beers

+1 that looks amazing!

Feb 26 14 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Lohkee wrote:

Happy now?

I don't understand pouring perfectly good booze down the drain.

Seems like a symbolic gesture at best and a meaningless one if you don't keep with the program.

As for the rest of it I hope that everything turns out ok

Feb 27 14 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

KungPaoChic wrote:
I don't understand pouring perfectly good booze down the drain.

I do believe my opening sentence confessed to a bout of spontaneous stupidity. As it turns out, I could have kept and drank it. I'll explain later.

KungPaoChic wrote:
Seems like a symbolic gesture at best and a meaningless one if you don't keep with the program.

I had a followup with my regular doc today. He blew a gasket when I told him that I was going to go "cold turkey" when my script was filled. He ordered me to keep drinking but to reduce my intake by one shot a day until I was "clean." Turns out that for heavy drinkers, going "cold turkey" can very easily kill you. I was a bit surprised by this and so did some research when I got home. Turns out my doc is a pretty smart cookie - One shot less than I had the day before is the new routine until I am clean. And so the countdown begins. A bottle of Blue Label wasted. Sigh.

Those who have abused alcohol for a long time would be very well advised to talk with their doc before doing anything.

KungPaoChic wrote:
As for the rest of it I hope that everything turns out ok

I appreciate your compassion. Thank you.

Feb 27 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm about to put a USDA prime brisket on the grill.
I've altered my technique a bit...it starts with a 1/4 bottle of Special Shit BBQ rub www.specialshit.com mixed with a half cup of brown sugar.
I put the rub on last night and let it sit covered in the fridge overnight.
This morning while firing up the smoker, I'll inject beef broth in the brisket and put it on the smoker, fat side up for 2-3 hours.
I'll then bring it in the house, cover it in foil and "finish" it in the oven at 250 degrees for 7-8 hours.
I'll come back and post the results.
Happy Labor Day!
https://gallery.photo.net/photo/18080920-lg.jpg

Sep 05 15 01:28 am Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

I'll then bring it in the house, cover it in foil and "finish" it in the oven at 250 degrees for 7-8 hours.

Oh, the Humanity!

But you obviously know your bbq, so anything beyond 140 degrees meat temp isn't contributing to the flavor. And for the rookies out there, the "smoke ring" isn't formed just due to being exposed to smoke. In reality, if you have smoke billowing out, you're not cooking it right. But don't let that stop you from getting another beer.

When I was cooking bbq, there was never enough room in my oven to finish what I had on. Besides, I didn't want to put any more heat into my house than living in central Texas was doing on its own. The cooking chamber of the pit I hand-built was 3/8" thick, over 9' long, and 30" diameter on a tandem-axle trailer I also built. I used to help at the church once a month and cook 84 whole chickens at a time. Once, we put 96 chickens, but they were touching each other and didn't look as pretty. At Thanksgiving, I'd cook around 25 turkeys at a time.

I once participated in feeding US Army troops returning from the first Iraq war and their families at Fort Hood. There were about 30 bbq pits cooking for almost 10,000 people. I cooked 27 briskets at one time, then cooked 200 chicken halves at the same time. The pit got to be too much work, so I sold it to a neighbor who was always borrowing it to use in bbq competitions.

My favorite thing to cook and eat is pork butt. I inject them with a special concoction, then they get a rub, and onto the pit they'd go. So not to waste the wonderful juices dripping from the butts, they'd be placed on an upper rack with briskets below. The briskets were basted with these juices and... mmmm bbq.

It's been a couple of years since I last smoked any meat. All our kids have moved on and out, so it's not like the days when our oldest daughter, who played trombone in band, would have the entire low brass section over. She was the only girl in the section and, as we all know, teenage boys can really eat. I'd cook a minimum of a pound per person, usually a lot more.

Now you've got me thinking about pulling out my Weber Smokey Mountain and cooking a couple of pork butts and a brisket. The WSM has two racks, so I can still put the butts above the brisket and not waste the juices.

Thanks for bringing me down bbq memory lane. Enjoy your wonderful brisket (btw, nice smoke ring on the one pictured) and have a great holiday weekend.

Sep 05 15 02:56 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm about to put a USDA prime brisket on the grill.
I've altered my technique a bit...it starts with a 1/4 bottle of Special Shit BBQ rub www.specialshit.com mixed with a half cup of brown sugar.
I put the rub on last night and let it sit covered in the fridge overnight.
This morning while firing up the smoker, I'll inject beef broth in the brisket and put it on the smoker, fat side up for 2-3 hours.
I'll come back and post the results.
Happy Labor Day!

For something different try smoking some pork/pig's cheeks. Big ones [2-3+ pounds] if you can get them. Nearly the same technique. They are lean and so may do well bacon wrapped. Better than ribs.

Studio36

Sep 05 15 03:56 am Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

studio36uk wrote:
For something different try smoking some pork/pig's cheeks. Big ones [2-3+ pounds] if you can get them. Nearly the same technique. They are lean and so may do well bacon wrapped. Better than ribs.

Hmmm. Probably not going to happen in Texas. smile

Sep 05 15 04:42 am Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

One of my favorite things to bbq is bacon-wrapped, stuffed chicken thighs. Not my original recipe, per say, but can be modified to your tastes. This took second place out of 87 entries in Cook's Choice at a bbq competition which included some of the big name, as-seen-on-tv, traveling bbq competitors. Got paid $600.

Start with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, bacon, jalapenos that have been cut in half lengthwise, slivers of onions and cheese (I always use Emmental) cut in strips. Lay out two pieces of bacon perpendicular to each other and lay a thigh in line with one of the bacon strips. Place a jalapeno half, sliver of onion, and strip of cheese in the thigh, then role it up and secure with the bacon. Use your favorite bbq rub and smoke for 2 to 3 hours at no more than 250 degrees. Otherwise, the cheese might melt out and you'll be sad.

Dang it! Now I'm thinking about making a run to Sam's this morning for meat.

Sep 05 15 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Cherrystone wrote:
http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/bacon- … pt=hp_bn18

I purchased homemade bacon at a market in northern Michigan last Monday.  Delicious!!

Sep 05 15 05:33 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:
One of my favorite things to bbq is bacon-wrapped, stuffed chicken thighs. Not my original recipe, per say, but can be modified to your tastes. This took second place out of 87 entries in Cook's Choice at a bbq competition which included some of the big name, as-seen-on-tv, traveling bbq competitors. Got paid $600.

Start with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, bacon, jalapenos that have been cut in half lengthwise, slivers of onions and cheese (I always use Emmental) cut in strips. Lay out two pieces of bacon perpendicular to each other and lay a thigh in line with one of the bacon strips. Place a jalapeno half, sliver of onion, and strip of cheese in the thigh, then role it up and secure with the bacon. Use your favorite bbq rub and smoke for 2 to 3 hours at no more than 250 degrees. Otherwise, the cheese might melt out and you'll be sad.

Dang it! Now I'm thinking about making a run to Sam's this morning for meat.

Yum...may have to add to the mix!
Putting some Chappell Hill sausage on later too. http://www.chsausage.com/
I like it even better than Elgin sausage

Sep 05 15 09:42 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Just bought this on Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue … 1607747200
Not into BBQ competition myself, more into the taste of a good brisket. It's taken me a few years but I've done quite well with friends and family. I imagine a real BBQ joint would do well in my old home state of Ohio. BBQ there was a pock chop with some BBQ sauce on it. It's still pretty easy to see if someone's from up north if they invite you over for a BBQ and they're cooking burgers on the grill! smile

Sep 05 15 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--kWAfm4uB--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/17n92plumbktmjpg.jpg

https://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t323/HappyGestapo/Stuff%20I%20find%20on%20the%20interwebz/meat-suit-man.jpg

No comment.

Sep 05 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

Bobby C wrote:
No comment.

Looks like something out of "Silence of the Lamb(chop)s".

My sincerest apologies.

Sep 05 15 11:28 am Link