Forums > Photography Talk > Magazine Submissions

Photographer

J Foren Studios

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Dear fellow photographers,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some insight to magazine submissions?  I have never even attempted it and wanted to know if there are any magazines that you would suggest sending images to as well as general guidelines.  Although I do shoot models, I focus mainly on wildlife, landscape, travel and documentary photography.  Any insight will be helpful!

Sincerely,
Jen Foren

Mar 04 14 07:24 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

1.)  Go here:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=793111

2.)  Go to the websites of specific magazines you want to submit to, and read the requirements.

3.)  Submit regularly to several magazines to increase your chances of actually getting published. 

Have fun, and good luck!  smile

Mar 04 14 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

1) Submit to magazines that use the same type and quality of photos that you capture. Basically if you photograph cows you aren't going to submit to a trade publication for plumbers.  It's a no brainier.

2) Look at magazines and see the style of photos they use.  Do you have those?  Can you produce those if you don't have them?

3) Get a copy of the 2014 Photographer's Market.  It will tell you how and who to contact for many publications.

4) Don't give your shit away.

Mar 04 14 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

J Foren Studios

Cleveland, Ohio, US

MelissaAnn & Barry Kidd,

Thank you very much!  I found the other thread on this topic and there is a lot of information there!

-Jen Foren

Mar 05 14 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

In my honest opinion, focus on shooting story based editorials even if the story isn't real noticeable (a white story or a coats story) something that gives a good base to shoot with and then you can keep going, but don't hit up magazines until you feel you are somewhat at the level to be sending them work.  Their are smaller magazines out there but it would be better for you to focus on the imagery then submitting to a magazine that may or may not help you out at all. 

Focus on shooting first, whatever genre/style you are trying to achieve!

Mar 05 14 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Remember you are not just talking pictures, but words and pictures. You need text for cutlines.

1. Your caption should identify who is in the picture and why they are significant.  All names must be spelled correctly with the correct name on the correct person. (Identify people from left to right.)  Use “cq” after names that are not common spellings. (see example below.) List ages for any children in the image.
2. What is in the picture? Write so that you’re completing a story, not just describing literally what’s in the picture.
3. When? The DATE, including the day of the week, date and year must appear in the body of all captions. Your images will be history some day.
4. Where? Be specific. Follow AP style for geographic locations. Use city and state. The correct style for our city is Columbia, Mo.  Note the lower case “o” — do not use post office style.
5. Why? Explain the circumstances and why it is relevant or adds to the story package.
6. Is it specific?
7. Is it easy to read?
8. Is it grammatically correct and written in AP style?

Here’s an example of a well-written caption:

Jonathan Smyth (cq), right, carries his daughter Samantha, 3, as they wait in line to purchase the new  X-Box game Friday, Nov. 28, 2006. They were two of about 75 people who lined up early at the Sears store in the Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines, Iowa, waiting for the new game to go on sale at midnight.

Source http://convergence.journalism.missouri.edu/?p=6870

I would also see add a story if possible maybe team up with a writer. A complete package is easier to sell than a bunch of pieces.

Next think TIMELYNESS the longer you sit on the images the harder it is to sell.

Make personal contact, don't rely on email. Make a phone call if possible meet in person. Call then send it in the format required.

Mar 06 14 02:13 am Link