Forums > Photography Talk > Need photo software - novice

Model

Daphne Adair

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

I do not have Photo Shop nor know how to use it. Can anyone recommend a novice-user friendly software for me? Thanks

Aug 25 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Mike Photog

West Babylon, New York, US

SexyJena wrote:
I do not have Photo Shop nor know how to use it. Can anyone recommend a novice-user friendly software for me? Thanks

Jena,
Try CPIC.....
You can get a trial version at www.photodex.com

Mike
PPA Studios

Aug 25 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

You can download allot of the good to decent photo software from the manufactures Web site as a free demo that usually lasts about 30 days.

From there you can see which one you like best.

Adobe PhotoShop CS2 is the best and hottest on the market (pricey too) and Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2.0 is a smaller/easier version to us.

Aug 25 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

I'd say until you got serious enough for Photoshop CS2.

Pick either Jasc Paint Shop Pro (easier for a novice in my opinion), or Photoshop Elements 3 (3 seems to make alot of it very automated for the most part).

out of the two, I'd say if you want to have more control over whats going on , choose paint shop pro, otherwise if you want the no brainer software, Elements.

However If you get Elements 3, you can easily pay the upgrade cost later to CS2.

Aug 25 05 02:13 pm Link

Model

Daphne Adair

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try them out and see what works best. I'm just doing minor changes to some raw pics.

Aug 25 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

SexyJena wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try them out and see what works best. I'm just doing minor changes to some raw pics.

if raw as in shooting in camera file RAW, stick with the adobe line of things.

Aug 25 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Cals Imaging Services

Irvine, California, US

For the money it's hard to beat Photoshop Elements 3.
You might want to also get the book "Photoshop Elements 3" Visual Quickstart Guide by Peachpit Press.
Version 3 has a photo database that you can use to keek track of your pictures.
The book lets you go to the index to see what you want to do and walks you through step by step.
I've see Elements as low as $49 and the book as low as $15.
The copy of Elements came with several sales leaflets on was for the book at half price.

Sep 01 05 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Steve Cain

Irvine, California, US

I'd have to agree with the PS Elements 3 recommendation. It also gets you familiar with Photoshop in general so there is less of a learning curve when you move to Photoshop CS.

Sep 01 05 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

elements is cool for the price and is easy!

Sep 01 05 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Doctor E

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I've been using Paint Shop Pro for several years - I just don't need the added horsepower (or memory hogging overhead) of Photoshop.  I used to have both programs on my computers, but stopped using PS altogether about two years ago.

You can get a trial version of PSP from the Jasc Software site.  The full version runs about $100 dollars before any rebates or discounts.

E.

Sep 02 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Lee

Cape May, New Jersey, US

try a program called picasa, do a search and you will find a site where you can download it for free. far from professional but would be great for a novice.

Sep 02 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

I edit the D70 raw pictures with Nicon View. It's free and does a lot of basics very well. No detail editing, but contrast, color and basic b/w & sepia filters.

Sep 03 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

- null -

If you need something basic and free, just get these....

For Windows:

http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

or

http://www.irfanview.com/

For Macintosh:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/
(not free, but included with OSX)

or

http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphdownld_en.htm

Sep 03 05 11:14 am Link