Forums > Photography Talk > Full Bleed Websites - You Like?

Photographer

Jack English

Encinitas, California, US

I am looking to change my site up a little ( http://www.jackenglish.com / Livebooks)
and was thinking of this template http://stature.light.scaler.sites.livebooks.com/
you like???

May 26 14 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

i don't like full bleed websites....

how do you know the aspect ratio of the screen someone's using to view your website?

May 26 14 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Kjos Photography

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

I like the idea of full bleed, if they work.

The example site is flash based. In my opinion, it degrades funny on an iPad.

May 26 14 10:25 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

Jack,

Full bleeds are WONDERFUL, provided they are responsive. For us photographers, the better our images are "in-your-face," the better the first impression. Of course, the first impression replies on the quality of the images.

Keep in mind that we're in 2014 and most people now have smart devices. Heck, I used to be one of those people who abhorred them. I finally jump on the wagon, because Verizon was running a GREAT deal I just cannot pass. This was Thanksgiving 2013. Having a smartphone is fun, but also distracting. Let's not get into that.

Getting back to your website. Right now, it is good. Someone mentioned about the horrible Flash. I highly recommend you pick something from Livebooks that isn't Flash-based. You should try to find a theme/template, where the site complete adapts to any user's screen AND does not change the image and composition. Some of the full-screen sites  look amazing on Apple Cinema screens.

Of course, if your clients are wealthy and could afford them, they are superb. What about the "regular people" who can't afford those. They're like browsing on screens like 1280 X 1024. Unless your site is completely responsive, they won't be seeing the same image and composition like people on large Cinema screens.

Something to consider.

May 26 14 10:57 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ronald N. Tan wrote:
Jack,

Full bleeds are WONDERFUL, provided they are responsive. For us photographers, the better our images are "in-your-face," the better the first impression. Of course, the first impression replies on the quality of the images.

Keep in mind that we're in 2014 and most people now have smart devices. Heck, I used to be one of those people who abhorred them. I finally jump on the wagon, because Verizon was running a GREAT deal I just cannot pass. This was Thanksgiving 2013. Having a smartphone is fun, but also distracting. Let's not get into that.

Getting back to your website. Right now, it is good. Someone mentioned about the horrible Flash. I highly recommend you pick something from Livebooks that isn't Flash-based. You should try to find a theme/template, where the site complete adapts to any user's screen AND does not change the image and composition. Some of the full-screen sites  look amazing on Apple Cinema screens.

Of course, if your clients are wealthy and could afford them, they are superb. What about the "regular people" who can't afford those. They're like browsing on screens like 1280 X 1024. Unless your site is completely responsive, they won't be seeing the same image and composition like people on large Cinema screens.

Something to consider.

Exactly, there is no reason to have anything but a responsive site these days.  Also no reason to use flash

May 26 14 11:07 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Yes I like the look of full bleed sites.. as I like the look of full bleed ads smile

May 26 14 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

And the example site was anything but responsive for me, using FoxPro v27.  It wouldn't go to the portfolios.

OTOH, I liked the full-bleed images.  The impact of the large images was great!

May 26 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Martin Ranger

Seattle, Washington, US

No, I don't. They look all flashy and cool, but full bleed websites crop your images depending on the monitor size of the viewer. That kind of ruins the composition of the images.

May 26 14 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, flash is dead - better to just stay away from the remnant templates that still use it.

I love full bleed presentation, but it is mostly effective for landscape (orientation not scenery) photographs, which (especially for model-based photography), is unlikely to be the majority of the images needed to be displayed.

May 26 14 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I have one website from Aphotofolio Design X
http://aphotofolio.com/

and one Livebooks Scaler Site

Both scale to the screen.

http://www.bridalfashionphotography.com
http://danhowellphotography.com

May 26 14 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jack English wrote:
I am looking to change my site up a little ( http://www.jackenglish.com / Livebooks)
and was thinking of this template http://stature.light.scaler.sites.livebooks.com/
you like???

if that's what you like, there is a responsive theme that can be easily customized and it includes password-protected client proof gallery. check it out: BORDER on Themeforest.

May 26 14 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

I'm with the others here who mentioned a 'responsive' website.

May 26 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

It depends on your content.
Personally I don't mind them I actually like them as in the sample you posted... as long as it auto formats to your screen size and with the option to bring the window size down.

May 26 14 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

If you haven't already signed up for LIVEBOOKs, I would highly recommend looking at aphotofolio.com.

One of the nice features they offer is that you can have a full bleed site when it opens but then when you click on a Portfolio link it can be however you want so you could have full bleed for your intro but then have standard images in each of your books.

May 26 14 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Chixpix

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I certainly like the end result, but your example, being flash based , is too slow and unresponsive. prospective clients will just move on!

May 27 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

if you go this route stay away from flash, go html5. tablet/phone support is crucial.

May 27 14 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

AJ Garcia

Aliso Viejo, California, US

Yeah, like has been said full bleed looks great, IF they work right. The issue is full bleed gives very little latitude for differing resolutions and aspect ratios/devices. So while it may look amazing on my desktop, it could look horrid on my laptop.

I've come across a ton of full bleed sites that just look ridiculously look quality because it didn't optimize right. Add to the fact that with full bleed you will have to take into account not just low res screens but also very hi res. Meaning you will have to upload very hi res, high quality pics or risk having pixelated low quality images show up when people see your site. This decreases the speed of the site, because even with reduced quality jpegs, the picture files will be quite large by internet standards. So many people will be waiting for their internet speeds to catch up and load your site as well.

So yes, full speed looks great in theory, but it could be a nightmare in practice.

May 27 14 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

AJ Garcia wrote:
Yeah, like has been said full bleed looks great, IF they work right. The issue is full bleed gives very little latitude for differing resolutions and aspect ratios/devices. So while it may look amazing on my desktop, it could look horrid on my laptop.

I've come across a ton of full bleed sites that just look ridiculously look quality because it didn't optimize right. Add to the fact that with full bleed you will have to take into account not just low res screens but also very hi res. Meaning you will have to upload very hi res, high quality pics or risk having pixelated low quality images show up when people see your site. This decreases the speed of the site, because even with reduced quality jpegs, the picture files will be quite large by internet standards. So many people will be waiting for their internet speeds to catch up and load your site as well.

So yes, full speed looks great in theory, but it could be a nightmare in practice.

With aphotofolio it's done using the Design X platform - it's all HTML5.  The site automatically generates mobile versions for phone and tablets and also generates a flash version for browsers that are not HTML5 compatible - an option that can be turned off.

The only problem I have with the full bleed into (I would never have everything stay full bleed - it's more of a hook than practically useful for an art buyer) is the inability to have two versions of your logo for both light and dark background photos.

May 27 14 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

I tend to think that full bleed websites are most effective for those who shoot a lot of landscape oriented images, rather than those who shoot a lot of verticals. For mostly vertical image presentation, I tend to prefer horizontal scrolling websites along with grid and mosaic layouts, so that the images are not heavily cropped to fit the layout. I think the latter layouts make the most impact when images are either mostly vertical or evenly mixed. 

To me, the most important factor is that a site have a highly responsive design, so that it displays well on a wide range of devices, screen sizes and browsers. There are so many people now viewing the web on phones and tablets that it's missing the mark if a website, particularly a portfolio-based one, does not display well on them. That not only means choosing a responsive layout, but avoiding the use of Flash at all costs. IMO, HTML 5/CSS3 on the front end (designed to degrade nicely for older browsers), regardless of what is or isn't on the back end, is the way to go.

I'm just starting to redesign my websites to make them more responsive. I like my current horizontal scrolling layout, but the design itself isn't responsive enough and it has started having some issues with the latest versions of Firefox. So, it's time to redo them. That has to change.

Anyhoo, just my $0.02. Good luck! smile

May 27 14 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Andrea Acailawen wrote:
To me, the most important factor is that a site have a highly responsive design, so that it displays well on a wide range of devices, screen sizes and browsers. There are so many people now viewing the web on phones and tablets that it's missing the mark if a website, particularly a portfolio-based one, does not display well on them. That not only means choosing a responsive layout, but avoiding the use of Flash at all costs. IMO, HTML 5/CSS3 on the front end (designed to degrade nicely for older browsers), regardless of what is or isn't on the back end, is the way to go.

+1

And I think the best websites are the ones that resonate with the target audience. I think that a lot of people here on MM are trying to target either high end art directors, or fellow photographers rather than who their clients really could be and what their needs really are.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

May 27 14 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

The site is reliant heavily on Java Script and Flash. Simply see nothing except warnings telling me what I need to install or allow.
Summary = AVOID.

May 27 14 04:49 pm Link