Forums > Photography Talk > Digital Rebel and studio strobes

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Anyone out there use a Digital Rebel with strobes?  I'm having trouble getting an optimal key fill ratio and my colors don't seem to come out quite as I expect.  Of course, I am using some speedotrons that might be as old as I am. . .

Aug 25 05 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I do and I don't have much trouble. I use Alien Bees with a Minolta IV-F light meter. Are you metering? White balance set properly? Maybe your bulbs are old and need to be replaced because they're not consistent anymore.
M

Aug 25 05 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am quite fascinated by this since I don't have a clue what optimal key fill ratio is. I would like to know. I am a film photographer. When I teach most of my students shoot digital so I would like to know. Assume I am an idiot so explain clearly.

Aug 25 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'm using a D60 which is about the same thing.  Regarding colors, set a custom white balance.  How to do it is in the manual somewhere.  It's pretty simple.

Re the fill ratio, you'd set that the same way you did for film, depending on how much fill you want to use.  Assuming your heads are the same power, try moving the fill back about two stops.  i.e.  If your main light is 4' from the subject, then move the fill light back to 8'.

Paul

Aug 25 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

alexwh wrote:
I am quite fascinated by this since I don't have a clue what optimal key fill ratio is. I would like to know. I am a film photographer. When I teach most of my students shoot digital so I would like to know. Assume I am an idiot so explain clearly.

Well, we'll start with key fill ratio, which is the ratio between the key and fill together and the fill alone.  This determines the contrast between the light side of the subject and the darker side.  Optimal is a matter of preference.  Kind of like hi key and low key lighting.  A 1 to 1 ratio would be completely flat.  A 2 to one ratio is somewhat contrasty, pretty standard for portraits.  3 to 1 and 4 to one are kind of moody and contrasty.  Think rembrandt, chiaro scurro (sp???) film noir.  By 5 to one the dark side is going to be black unless you have a film with a very very wide latitude.  Optimal is what you're looking for.  My problem is I either wind up with too little or too much contrast.  I have been metering, but I did get a little lazy and rely too much on the LCD once or twice. . .

I've also shot a lot of film and digital and analog video and I went to film school and worked in the industry for several years, so contact me if you want to discuss this or anything.

Aug 25 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

alexwh wrote:

Well, we'll start with key fill ratio, which is the ratio between the key and fill together and the fill alone.  This determines the contrast between the light side of the subject and the darker side.  Optimal is a matter of preference.  Kind of like hi key and low key lighting.  A 1 to 1 ratio would be completely flat.  A 2 to one ratio is somewhat contrasty, pretty standard for portraits.  3 to 1 and 4 to one are kind of moody and contrasty.  Think rembrandt, chiaro scurro (sp???) film noir.  By 5 to one the dark side is going to be black unless you have a film with a very very wide latitude.  Optimal is what you're looking for.  My problem is I either wind up with too little or too much contrast.  I have been metering, but I did get a little lazy and rely too much on the LCD once or twice. . .

I've also shot a lot of film and digital and analog video and I went to film school and worked in the industry for several years, so contact me if you want to discuss this or anything.

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

alexwh wrote:

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

alexwh wrote:

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

alexwh wrote:

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

No clue why that posted all those times.  Sorry about that.

Aug 25 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

alexwh wrote:

Oh wait, you meant film as in still photography with film. . .  anyway, the explanation is the same.  I'm also a film photographer, and a very technical one, so you can ask whatever you want.  I am new to digital myself.

Aug 25 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

BrooklynPhoto wrote:

I meter my fill first.  Generally I set it to f3.5.  Then I turn on my main light and reading both lights, I adjust the main until I get f8.  That's about right for most of my shots.  However, I did an entire shoot last week with just a large softbox and no fill.  I liked the result and plan to to another one on Tuesday the same way.

Paul

Aug 25 05 11:51 pm Link