Forums > Photography Talk > Catwalk photography

Photographer

Alacran

Houston, Texas, US

Does anyone have experience photographing a fashion show? Is it best to ratchet up the iso and shoot available light or light it with an on camera flash? I've never been to the place so I don't know what to expect.

Jun 07 14 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

It used be on camera flash, but these days it's all about the zoom lenses and (relatively) high iso. There really is no need to go above 1600, shows are always well lit.

Jun 07 14 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Alacran

Houston, Texas, US

Thank you Jakov. I think the show is going to be at a hotel lobby so I'll take your advice. 1600 it is. BTW, your work is outstanding.

Jun 07 14 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

The big professional shows are usually well lit - easy to do with a 2.8 lens and reasonable ISO. Smaller shows could be anything. I'd show up prepared to go either way - flash or available light. At a big show there is often a photographer area marked off and you're pretty much stuck there. Get there early to claim a good spot. I'd take a 24-70 and 70-200 (or equivalent) and also a good reliable flash with plenty of batteries. Try to talk to someone with the show to find out how it will work - and to ask if flash is permitted if you decide you need it.

In my experience models usually pause for a moment, but only a moment, at the end of the runway to give the photographers a chance. Again, this can vary, especially if the models are not real pros.

Jun 07 14 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Alacran

Houston, Texas, US

I think this is the case here Silver. I'll take the equipment you mentioned and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Jun 07 14 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pa A

Bandung, Jawa Barat, Indonesia

Alacran wrote:
Thank you Jakov. I think the show is going to be at a hotel lobby so I'll take your advice. 1600 it is.

Given the location of the show I'm afraid it's unfortunately reasonable to assume that the available stage light will not be of high quality or intensity at best.

Flash will be mandatory, but I would strongly advise to go above ISO 1600. Of course I don't know what camera you're using but on most modern bodies going up to ISO 3200 still gives excellent IQ.

Reason I recommend shooting at such high ISO is that if you use  lower ISO combined with high shutterspeed and a stopped down lens, you'll exclude so much of the available light your pictures might end up with the too often seen models against a dark background with a heavy shadow cast by the flash.

Especially when shooting with a shutterspeed of 1/200 or 1/250th, I would stop down the lens to max 4 to 4.5, even if that means a limited DOF. Additionally to avoid the available light to be rendered too yellow/orange, I would stick an amber filter on the flash, and set WB on the camera on Tungsten (3400K)

And of course shooting at high ISO and relatively wide open lens will avoid depleting your flash too fast and help maintain a high recycle speed.

Obviously if the lobby turns out to be well lit after all, just shoot with the stage light, but again don't be afraid to go over ISO 1600 if necessary.

Don't forget your AF settings, that's even more critical then the lighting. As a Nikon shooter I personally always go for AF-C with Dynamic AF with one AF point (best is the one closest to he face of the model) manually choosen and shoot in short bursts with a (very) low fps. I have shots show with anything from a D70S, D3, D800 to a DF, and the above AF settings can be applied to shooting with any of those models

http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/catwalk_archief

Stay far away from AF-S (absolutely not fit for moving subjects) or 3D Dynamic AF (slows down AF as the camera has to decide what to focus on, and also you don't decide what the camera will focus on), and don't forget to switch the AF tracking of (which also slows down the AF speed)

HTH

Jun 08 14 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Alacran

Houston, Texas, US

Thanks for the info Paul. Now I'll have a better chance that my pics will actually come out well. If they come out looking half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Jun 08 14 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Douglas Photo 78

Valparaiso, Florida, US

My first and only fashion show I did, was for the launch of a new local boutique (I have a few shots from it in my port). There was suppose top be a spot light on the girls all the way down the runway, with colored lights from behind. Well the spot lights did not work so the girls were in the dark and only light from behind, so my flash was the only think that allowed me to shoot this show. I guess the moral of this story is to be prepared to light it your self, because you can't count on everything to work the way it's suppose to.

Jun 09 14 06:40 am Link

Photographer

DiamondLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

Jakov Markovic wrote:
... shows are always well lit.

I've photographed at several fashions shows in London - based on my experience I disagree with this statement .. you cannot make any assumptions about lighting.

Only two of the shows I attended were well lit and had good lighting the rest were not, one fashion show even took place in a nightclub with no extra lights, so everyone was using their on camera flash.

Never assume the lighting will be good.

Jun 11 14 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Alacran wrote:
Does anyone have experience photographing a fashion show? Is it best to ratchet up the iso and shoot available light or light it with an on camera flash? I've never been to the place so I don't know what to expect.

In my experience fashion shows don't allow flash. Unless you're talking about some mall fashion show then who knows.

My settings vary depending on lighting    I always shoot at f4 and adjust my iso to keep my shutter speed no less then 1/200 to freeze the model.

Jun 11 14 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
... shows are always well lit.

DiamondLondon wrote:
I've photographed at several fashions shows in London - based on my experience I disagree with this statement .. you cannot make any assumptions about lighting.

Only two of the shows I attended were well lit and had good lighting the rest were not, one fashion show even took place in a nightclub with no extra lights, so everyone was using their on camera flash.

Never assume the lighting will be good.

+100 - Never depend on a show to be well lit.

Oh and on a personal note, or my experience has been anyway, if you are shooting freelance and there are hired shooters there. They will plow you down. big_smile

Jun 11 14 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Gavin Poh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I shoot runways in Aus and if you're in the media pit do not use a flash.

The stage lighting is typically a little dark for good photography which is why we shoot on higher ISO. Sometimes 1600 is enough others 3200 is required but i havent had a need to go above that.
When we get someone in the pit with a flash we always tell them to turn it off as it destroys have the images we shoot, especially at the T where they hold a pose for a second and everyone is on rapid fire.

For the interest of those who needs the shots to finalise a set and make a living on the event please dont use a flash...

Jun 11 14 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Alacran

Houston, Texas, US

Gentlemen, thank you all for your words of wisdom. The show is tonight and I will try to remember all the points you made. Wish me luck.

Jun 12 14 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Photo 78

Valparaiso, Florida, US

Good luck, and have fun!

Jun 12 14 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

it really depends on the venue...if the models are followed by a spotlight or not....my experience with hotel-lobbies is that there are lights every 2 meters, so the exposure is changing very fast....so try to aim for the exposure based between 2 lights for example...if they are been tracked it gets somewhat easier.....

I usually spend max 4-6 shots per run, it's about the right timing (step) and understanding the clothing and therefor, right timing when it shows the characteristics of the pieces.....add that to the right timing for exposure, and you got yourself a nice challenge...( i do catwalks mostly on M setting)

in my experience in most cases    iso-800 at f2.8 1/160 is used, as long as the lighting is somewhat professionally done...

good luck

Jun 12 14 01:33 pm Link