Forums > General Industry > How to turn a model down politely???

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

FallenEcho wrote:

+1

If you are turning down models because they answered your casting call I suggest you not mention your rates to them like others have suggested that can be considered bait and switch. If you are rejecting them because they contacted you out of the blue quoting rates would be fine.

I don't mind that, don't consider it bait and switch at all unless there is some suggestion they are going to book me under some other condition then they switch it around. Though I wouldn't necessarily suggest quoting rates, just mention that you offer those services, with maybe a link to a site or whatever to any packages or services you offer. Don't bother if you don't offer those services though.

Jul 01 14 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

cvltblood wrote:
I need some advice on polite ways to turn down working with a model. I'm really unsure of what to say when I think someone doesn't have potential or a good portfolio or is too old or just won't fit the style I shoot in. I want to polite and respectful with my response but I'm really unsure of what to say. Anyone offer some help?

y
ou can opt to say nothing

no answer (an acceptable response on mm) is an answer

Jul 01 14 12:15 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

r T p wrote:

y

Saying nothing is almost never the best option.  Saying something is so easy and is more likely to spread good will.

Jul 02 14 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

i just tell them i can't afford it right [which is true].

Jul 02 14 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Monad Studios wrote:

Saying nothing is almost never the best option.  Saying something is so easy and is more likely to spread good will.

I'd like to propose a challenge.

Can anyone, ever, confirm something like this?

"Yo... so and so told me no, but you should totally shoot with him"

I've had too many people who I won't ever have a project that fits... a few dozen messages... every month... saying "not this time, maybe another project" --- I'd rather just leave it in the wind.

Jul 02 14 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

If you don't have anything to say then don't reply. No reply means no. Saying that you don't have a project that you can use the model for while thinking that you will never work with the model because he or she sucks is lying.

Jul 03 14 04:36 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Fotticelli wrote:
If you don't have anything to say then don't reply. No reply means no.

The problem with not replying is that the other party MAY be holding a spot open for you in anticipation.  The polite and professional thing to do would be to politely decline.

If you were working through an agent and you didn't reply to the agent's request, do you think THEY would ever work with you again?  Do you think THEY would recommend you to someone else?

If someone doesn't reply to me, I personally will NEVER contact them for any project again, nor will I refer them to anyone else.  Yes, in the past I've referred people that have declined working with me to others, and they got some pretty damned good gigs out of it!

(ironically, lately people are wondering why they're not getting work via MM,, maybe it's because they're impolite, self absorbed @$$40!3$ that are too busy to reply to requests))

Jul 03 14 07:28 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMercado

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

Personally I will thank them for their time and let them know that I cannot use them, for this project, however may have them in mind for something else in the future. I am not shallow, to me everyone and everything is beautiful in its own way.

It is all on how you perceive it and what you are trying to accomplish. I have seen at times the most ugliest person within the most beautiful exterior and have seen the most beautiful person in the most standard exterior. As they say beauty is skin deep so you should never close a door of opportunity by being shallow that may lead to somewhere in the future.

I am not perfect so I have no place to state whom is and whom is not.

Jul 03 14 07:36 am Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

r T p wrote:

y

I can't understand why this seems too difficult to grasp by so many people here. I am trying to figure out what world they live in where they expect everyone to just answer them because they asked a question.

Jul 03 14 09:47 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

If you can't use them for your book and have no need for them at all, it would seem that they'd be the only one benefiting from the shoot.  In that case send them rates.  If they really want to shoot they'll pay up, and then you both benefit from working together.

Jul 03 14 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

EbbysTouch wrote:
I usually just thank them for the inquiry and say I do not have any projects that they are a match for at this time.
As time goes they may improve and could actually be someone you work with down the line, you never know.

Perfect answer

Jul 03 14 03:28 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The most common reply I have seen is simply nothing.

Second nicest is to just say that you don't fit the project but I will keep your info on file.

Jul 03 14 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

The problem with not replying is that the other party MAY be holding a spot open for you in anticipation.  The polite and professional thing to do would be to politely decline.

If there is a person that applied for anything and interpreted not hearing back as good news the they are a taco short of a combination platter.

How do you politely decline without lying?. If I had to respond to every inquiry and be honest about it I would have to say things like "thanks for your inquiry but I don't use models with augmented breasts". Or "I don't use models with tattoos". Or "if I have a project and look for models that look average or unattractive I will contact you."

Jul 03 14 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Sandra Vixen wrote:
The most common reply I have seen is simply nothing.

Second nicest is to just say that you don't fit the project but I will keep your info on file.

The second nicest thing would be ok if lying would be a nice thing to do.

Jul 03 14 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Fotticelli wrote:
How do you politely decline without lying?.

As mentioned in the beginning of this thread:

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
...if they don't fit your needs all that's really need to be said is "thank you for applying, unfortunately I can't use you at this time" with an optional "I'll be happy to keep your info on file and will contact you when I have a project that you'd be great for".

Frankly, I find it disturbing that in this day and age it takes two pages of forum messages to learn a simple common courtesy.

Jul 03 14 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
"thank you for applying, unfortunately I can't use you at this time"
   "I'll be happy to keep your info on file and will contact you when I have a project that you'd be great for".

Question was answered quick yet people went all retarded with stupidity?
Why'd anyone write something different after this???
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!!!!

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
   "I'll be happy to keep your info on file and will contact you when I have a project that you'd be great for".

READ IT AGAIN

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

GET IT?

P.S.
THIS!

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Jul 03 14 10:03 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Locutus wrote:

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Question was answered quick yet people went all retarded with stupidity?
Why'd anyone write something different after this???
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!!!!

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

READ IT AGAIN

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

GET IT?

P.S.
THIS!

Welcome to MM.

Jul 03 14 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Welcome to MM.

LOL smile

Jul 03 14 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

If you were working through an agent and you didn't reply to the agent's request, do you think THEY would ever work with you again?  Do you think THEY would recommend you to someone else?

If someone doesn't reply to me, I personally will NEVER contact them for any project again, nor will I refer them to anyone else.  Yes, in the past I've referred people that have declined working with me to others, and they got some pretty damned good gigs out of it!

(ironically, lately people are wondering why they're not getting work via MM,, maybe it's because they're impolite, self absorbed @$$40!3$ that are too busy to reply to requests))

I love how all of a sudden you drop in "agency" in there.

I've had a number of jobs where I lost the bid and didn't call the agency back (client wanted me to produce the whole shoot including models) after getting a quote. The shoot didn't happen, we didn't set a firm date, life goes on. Pretty sure, if I had money in my hand, I could call the agency up again and get another quote, not a big deal at all.

I don't reply all the time, it's normal in the real world. Not sure why it hurts peoples feelings here unless they think that somehow they are more important than everyone else and thus require a reply.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jul 03 14 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

I've had a number of jobs where I lost the bid and didn't call the agency back (client wanted me to produce the whole shoot including models) after getting a quote. The shoot didn't happen, we didn't set a firm date, life goes on. Pretty sure, if I had money in my hand, I could call the agency up again and get another quote, not a big deal at all.

I don't reply all the time, it's normal in the real world. Not sure why it hurts peoples feelings here unless they think that somehow they are more important than everyone else and thus require a reply.

Andrew Thomas Evans

Jul 03 14 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Andrew Thomas Evans

Jul 03 14 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

cvltblood wrote:
I need some advice on polite ways to turn down working with a model. I'm really unsure of what to say when I think someone doesn't have potential or a good portfolio or is too old or just won't fit the style I shoot in. I want to polite and respectful with my response but I'm really unsure of what to say. Anyone offer some help?

"Thank you for your interest and application, but you are not what I'm looking for for this project."

Or

"Thank you for your interest in shooting with me, but I don't think you fit the style that I want to shoot.

Jul 03 14 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

MATT TAN PHOTOGRAPHY

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

most professional artists (actors, stage performer, musicians,etc) are used to being turned-down.  they have been to countless auditions,etc.. and so it is only a handful (i guess) who would take the rejection offensively. most will take it that it is a part that they are not apt to fill, instead of that they are not good enough.
but yes, as already mentioned, a short note to say thanks for your interest. i have already selected the models i need. i wish you all the best.
or something like that.
i avoid saying anything else, as it would mean nothing to her/him..such as the dreaded "if ever we find your resume suitable we will contact you"... bs that you get from applying for accounting jobs,etc..
you know they won't get back to you anyway, so why even say that.
and no, i don't say that they can shoot with me if they pay me.
that's already a given; that's why we are all here on MM
to earn a living. if she still wishes to, she will ask your rates
by her own volition.

my tuppence worth. cheers

Jul 04 14 11:57 am Link

Model

MarkCefalo

New York, New York, US

it's as simple as saying you just aren't interested, not everyone is going to like your image. It's business, if they are offended they shouldn't consider moving foward in this field, getting a "no" is common.

Jul 06 14 10:13 am Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

The Grand Artist wrote:
Remember we are suppose to respond to every single message we receive. It is the professional thing to do after all. [was told this in a similar thread]

haha were you now?

Edit: anyway, either just say you aren't interested or don't respond. They'll see the read message and get the hint (or not-i'm dealing with a few of those..)

this is life. there are certain social graces you need to learn as you grow up. Yes you SHOULD give responses, NO you don't HAVE to, especially to people you don't give a damn about and for the love of God- No response is a response!

Jul 06 14 11:32 pm Link

Model

CaraH

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
There's absolutely NO reason that YOU should judge if they have potential or are too old.  You only have reason to judge if they fit your needs for a shoot that you're involved with.

With that said, if they don't fit your needs all that's really need to be said is "thank you for applying, unfortunately I can't use you at this time" with an optional "I'll be happy to keep your info on file and will contact you when I have a project that you'd be great for".

*This*

It is always better to be polite. And besides, you never know what could happen. Maybe sometime in the future they could improve their portfolio, change their look etc and be what you are looking for. Or, maybe you might have a client that one day needs someone with their look... eg 'too old' - maybe you have a client that needs a mature woman or even a 'sweet elderly grandmother' to be cast!

Jul 07 14 02:01 am Link

Photographer

NikkiMarieStudio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Orestes  wrote:
before clicking on message click on their name and see models pics. If she/he does not fit your needs just delete the message so it reads unread and done. Do this after your done.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1311814950

That GIF is great LOL

Jul 07 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Just say "no!" - Nancy Reagan

Jul 07 14 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

fluffycakes wrote:
and for the love of God- No response is a response!

I think I'll start using the line "no compensation is compensation" as a method to pay models.  Because, you know, by definition no response is not a response...

Jul 07 14 01:14 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Schlake wrote:

I think I'll start using the line "no compensation is compensation" as a method to pay models.  Because, you know, by definition no response is not a response...

if you have common sense then yes: no response is a response.. it means i don't want to talk to you for whatever reason. that should NEVER have to be spelled out for any human being... ever.

no compensation, really can't just BE compensation...

and yes, I do understand what you were trying to do there bunny

Jul 07 14 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Schlake wrote:

You may want to review your two sentences because they're NOT analogous.

Just a suggestion.

Jul 07 14 11:29 pm Link

Model

Sunny Ebarvia

cvltblood wrote:

just say you decided to move forward with another client... short & simple .... cause trying to beat around the bush when politely declining will give the model a sense of false hope.... unless you actually do want to work with the model for a future project... but the model most likely would prefer to be polite but a straight forward declining statement than a big  explanation ... same thing with jobs sometimes... a straight forward answer is all we need if we did or did not land the job...

Jul 08 14 02:21 am Link

Model

Sunny Ebarvia

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Fotticelli wrote:
How do you politely decline without lying?.

As mentioned in the beginning of this thread:

Frankly, I find it disturbing that in this day and age it takes two pages of forum messages to learn a simple common courtesy.

+1 !!! straight forward and short is the waaaay to go :]

Jul 08 14 02:22 am Link

Photographer

SavageBeautyPortraits

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Too be Honest I never turn anyone down if they have specifically asked to model for me. Some of my favourite images have been done with "Doubtful's" and usually their enthusiasm can be catching and we have a good session smile

Jul 30 14 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just say no.

Jul 30 14 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

EbbysTouch wrote:
I usually just thank them for the inquiry and say I do not have any projects that they are a match for at this time.
As time goes they may improve and could actually be someone you work with down the line, you never know.

Works for me...

Jul 30 14 07:31 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

John Horwitz wrote:
no dear, it was my question - did you not understand it?

Patronize, much?  SayCheez was correct in pointing out the judgmental nature of "you're too old," or, "you don't have potential."  Your question was ridiculously obtuse.

OP, you're well within your right to state to a model that they don't fit what you need, and thank them for the inquiry.  Simple as that.  No need to give a reason beyond that.  If you go beyond it, then you've crossed the line.

Jul 31 14 09:53 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

cvltblood wrote:
I want to polite and respectful with my response but I'm really unsure of what to say. Anyone offer some help?

charge them. a lot.

or you can do what models often do....ignore them.

Jul 31 14 10:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Keep it short and sweet.

"Thanks for your interest. Although you are not the right fit for this particular casting I will be sure to keep you in mind for upcoming projects."

Add on: I'm looking to work with someone who possesses more of an edgy/commercial/androgynous/etc look.

Now if you frequently put up castings and are seeing the same model(s) apply and you are dead set against working with them THEN offer your rates. Something like:

"Hello again _____. Thanks for applying again for my new casting. Once again I do not feel that you are the right match for this, however you're more than welcome to hire me. My rate is $xxx. Please let me know if you're interested in booking something"

Aug 07 14 10:50 am Link

Photographer

JC Strick

Dalton, Georgia, US

Amadea T wrote:
"thank you for your interest. I will keep you in mind for future projects you might be right for".

"thank you for your interest. My schedule currently does not allow for heifers or old bags at the moment, I will get back to you should that ever change, but don't hold your breath."

"thank you for your interest. Unfortunately I do not have anything lined up you may be the right candidate for as I am going for a particular look. "

smile

I always use the first response, sans the "you might be right for".
It leaves everyone happy and intact but it doesn't come with drama.
smile

Aug 07 14 11:16 am Link