Forums > Photography Talk > Degree in Photogrpahy

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I know a guy that's worked with some of the top ad agencies here for flash or website content and ease of use type stuff. He thought that his school wasn't the best and could have been a waste of time (mcad). However, rather than give up and write it off as a waste/loss he worked even harder to be that much better and really kicked some ass while he was there.

He dosent think he would be where he is now (or then and he has done a lot more since I talked with him years ago) if it wasn't for that degree. It is a well known school, many grads are working in the real world, and its a easy (not cheap) way to get connected once you graduate.

Also, the trick is in school to network with fellow students and create a group a friends that will serve both as a support group, fraternity, and sounding board once school is up. These people will be key to help get work if you're freelance, maybe business partners, or to help you get a foot in the door at a place they are at. This alone, and the school name on the diploma, may be worth the money.

Its really all a person makes of it. If you want it to be a waste then it will be, if you want to work hard and use it as a spring board then it will be one.

Also fwiw most of the working artists I know of have a mfa. In fact, I think it was rare that my aunt, when she managed a gallery, would take someone on who didn't have a mfa or at least some art degree. Yes, work does matter, but having a degree matters as well.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jul 16 14 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Does a degree help?  Sure.  Do you have to have one to do well in photography?  No.  Will getting a degree guarantee you do well in photography? No.

I live near one of the best colleges for a photography degree, RIT, and I know many people that have attended the program.  Some have graduated and are now doing well and others are doing work completely unrelated to photography or working in portrait studios for 8 bucks an hour while trying to pay a 50k loan.  I also know a local photographer that's self taught that moved to NYC and is working constantly with agencies and shooting editorials for decent sized magazines. 

I personally went to RIT for a semester and hated it, left and went to pursue a job with a major retouching agency in NYC; I got the job without any degree they simply based it on my portfolio.

Really it depends on your own talents and ability to improve and learn.  If you can afford it and you feel school to be really helpful go for it but if it's really gonna put you in debt and you think you could advance on your own try that.

Jul 16 14 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

Waste of time unless you go into teaching or academics.

Art Center College of Design, Pasadena. The joke is, if you graduate, you're no good. If you're good, you get out by the end of the junior year. Expensively good.

Brooks, Santa Barbara, going downhill, but maybe still worth it.

Really? That's odd. There's a member on here who graduated from Art Center College of Design. She is working full time and making decent money.

Jul 16 14 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Spend that 52k in decent gear and models.

Copy the work of photographers you admire, until you find your own voice.

Jul 16 14 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

A degree in photography is pretty much worthless in the real world of fashion and commercial photography.

In 30 years plus of working in Europe and the US no one has asked me if I have a degree in photography.

The only place where you will be asked for a degree is in academia.... and for obvious reasons. They "peddle" degrees so they require them in order to give the degrees credibility.

Some say that a degree will help you find employment by some company....

One needs to ask what full time photography jobs are there that employ photographers? Sears portraits??? And what is the pay?
Real Estate photo services? Sure but they pay minimum wage and only if you have a car and gear. Try paying off $ 52,000 in debt with that.

Big commercial photography studios with several employed photographers are largely a thing of the past as the amount of photography needed today is not what it was in the past.. Video and stock changed that .

As for finding work as an assistant a degree is even counter productive. Most photographers prefer an assistant that does not think he or she knows it all.
The best assistants I have had did not have a photographic education and took instructions well from me and others they may have freelanced with on the side
often referred by me.

I have also lectured in several schools and given talks at professional associations.
Nearly all the schools were quite off track as to the reality of working at the time.
The only school was far more realistic was one that was based inside a huge rental studio complex and part owned by the directors of two leading Milan fashion magazines. It was also less expensive than degrees in private schools.

Jul 16 14 08:42 am Link

Photographer

J Kegley Photographer

Renton, Washington, US

I have an Master's Degree in Business and an MFA n Photography (Why, because I teach).  If you are going to get a degree, go to an accredited school where your credits will transfer to another if needed. In my opinion, for what it is worth, the business degree is of more value. You will make money if you are good, degree or not. How to use that money wisely is more important. My Instructors in my degree program were all working professionals in their fields giving good advice and being brutally honest in their evaluation of my work. I am a better photographer because of it. I am now retired and teach very seldom but felt the time and expense were worth it. still shoot on occasion but working with others whose work I admire is as much of a learning experience as the school.  Do what you feel is important.

For what it is worth, I received my MFA from Academy of Art University in San Francisco.

Jul 16 14 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Legacys 7 wrote:
Really? That's odd. There's a member on here who graduated from Art Center College of Design. She is working full time and making decent money.

I wonder what percentage of the students of the Art Center College of Design actually succeed in a photographic career?

I went to a School in London. I dropped after the first semester. I know of only one other student in my year that was published in a "real" fashion magazine or main stream magazine. He got the hell out a week or so after me..

That said I'm not saying that these two cases make a rule.

At the same time a success story from Art Center does not mean that it was because of the school. It's more about tenacity in or out of school.

Jul 16 14 08:47 am Link

Model

Elisa 1

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

There's SPEOS in Paris.

Its 16500 euros for a 32 week course tuition fees. That's about $24 000 I think.

But it is SPEOS. In PARIS! And an option. If you can get bar restaurant or hotel work in the evenings be hard work but it would sustain you and its only 32 weeks. A few of my friends have done it and they say its great.

http://www.speos.fr/Speos_brochure_eng.pdf

Jul 16 14 08:55 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Fred Greissing wrote:
A degree in photography is pretty much worthless in the real world of fashion and commercial photography.

Really;
Bob Carlos Clarke ... studied at the LCP.
Rolph Gobits ....  Art College.

Jul 16 14 09:14 am Link

Photographer

BQUINN

Rockford, Illinois, US

E H wrote:
If you can,,YES, do it. You think you know photography now,, wait till you get your degree. you will see and understand light, what you can and can't do,why things are the way they are, etc. The only way to know some of it, is to be taught you will not find it online. Research all the schools you can and who teaching what.

This is wonderful advice, the degree is not that important but the training and knowledge you would receive is invaluable. You won't find anything close to this kind of training from the workshops on this site. I spent 1 year in a trade school and 3 years as an assistant in a large commercial studio. I was offered a position as a photographer when I left to go out on my own but turned it down. Years later I regretted that, there was still much I needed to learn and the real pros were there to teach me.

Jul 16 14 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

I'll be moving to London in September to do a photography degree at lsbu. I already know it will be worth it because i'll make it so and i see it as more than just a course, i see it as a new challenge and experience in all regards.

My aperture will be set to wide open like a sponge smile.

Jul 16 14 09:37 am Link

Photographer

howard r

i would consider working at samys rental dept to learn all about the equipment that pros are actually using, as well as to make contacts.

i would also try to spend at least a year or two assisting (or even interning if you have to) photographers whose work you admire. i think you would get a better real world education and instead of paying for it, you would actually make a little money.

Jul 16 14 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Fred Greissing wrote:
I wonder what percentage of the students of the Art Center College of Design actually succeed in a photographic career?

I went to a School in London. I dropped after the first semester. I know of only one other student in my year that was published in a "real" fashion magazine or main stream magazine. He got the hell out a week or so after me..

That said I'm not saying that these two cases make a rule.

At the same time a success story from Art Center does not mean that it was because of the school. It's more about tenacity in or out of school.

Point was missed. My reply was to the person who stated that no one coming out of that school was successful. What percentage of students coming out of that school with a successful career,  that I can't tell. But what I do know is, it's both speculation and an assumption to assume that most or none haven't.  Your last point regarding the photographer and not the school applies to every college career major. But it it's both the education and hard work that get the results.  Also. Art schools education vary from school to school.

Jul 16 14 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Andreas

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

it's what's in your port followed by your level of networking skills that count in this line of work. Spending your resources in a degree will most likely kill some, if not all, enthusiasm that you have at this point and after you get the degree you are back at 0.

Jul 16 14 10:37 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i'd be talking to the school about how many of their graduates manage to earn enough to live on and pay back their loans.

i know several graphic designers who went to art center and one is nationally known while the other had a more modest outcome and works as a designer at print shops and does some freelance logos and such (but i think his wife is the main breadwinner). that's really the best way. find a chick who wants to take care of a creative man-child. i think models fall into that category from what i've seen.

to me there could be several potential advantages to school:

* if you learned how to be really, really good (so good that people will throw money at you, which of course assumes that people are hired for talent rather than charisma/connections)

* if you made connections that will open doors to making good money

* if you can set up with top gear at "student" pricing

also i'd consider what other things you could do with $52K. like opening your own studio and learning by doing.

the wife follows some previously very successful portrait shooters and even they are being affected by the flood of cheap photographers and DIY. i think the real way to make money as a photographer is to be a celebrity and sell stuff to other photographers. i don't know if david jay even shoots anymore. the latest thing is celebs getting into bed with each other and cross-selling each other's stuff. it gets to be about business/marketing rather than creating portraits.

Jul 16 14 10:40 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

I guess passion--and inclination--have a huge effect on the outcome of any of our endeavors.

Anyway, the Art Center graduate I was referring to is Jeff Zwart.

He was an auto--specifically Porsche--enthusiast before he became a professional photographer.  Began shooting Road & Track covers right out of Art Center.

Here's his Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Zwart

Check out his client list?

Like I said, I expect this is way bigger money than anything fashion?

And… the boy can drive.

This video is way too much fun:

http://youtu.be/Tc5ucDzFPAk

Too bad he wasn't driving Paul Walker's car.

RBD

Edited to add:  Feel free to turn up the audio on the video.  It's a symphony.

Jul 16 14 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Fred Greissing wrote:

In 30 years plus of working in Europe and the US no one has asked me if I have a degree in photography.

The only place where you will be asked for a degree is in academia.... and for obvious reasons. They "peddle" degrees so they require them in order to give the degrees credibility.

One needs to ask what full time photography jobs are there that employ photographers? Sears portraits??? And what is the pay?
Real Estate photo services? Sure but they pay minimum wage and only if you have a car and gear. Try paying off $ 52,000 in debt with that.

Big commercial photography studios with several employed photographers are largely a thing of the past as the amount of photography needed today is not what it was in the past.. Video and stock changed that .

As for finding work as an assistant a degree is even counter productive. Most photographers prefer an assistant that does not think he or she knows it all.
The best assistants I have had did not have a photographic education and took instructions well from me and others they may have freelanced with on the side
often referred by me.

I have also lectured in several schools and given talks at professional associations.
Nearly all the schools were quite off track as to the reality of working at the time.
The only school was far more realistic was one that was based inside a huge rental studio complex and part owned by the directors of two leading Milan fashion magazines. It was also less expensive than degrees in private schools.

Again this is equating the final piece of paper with what, if any, doors it opens.  Sure you are not going to work as an art buyer, art director, or a teacher without one.  But if its a decent school and actually teaches something then this is simply looking at the wrong equation.

Many current successful photographers went to school and interned or assisted.  As you pointed out those large studios are rare now, so the education is even more important.

Jul 16 14 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Check out the Tri-Community Photography Program in Covina, CA; Tri-CommunityPhotoprogram.com.
They can get you a solid start in photography and then you can better judge what benefit, you can get from a 2 year program.

Jul 16 14 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

camilo

Miami, Florida, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
I guess passion--and inclination--have a huge effect on the outcome of any of our endeavors.

Anyway, the Art Center graduate I was referring to is Jeff Zwart.

He was an auto--specifically Porsche--enthusiast before he became a professional photographer.  Began shooting Road & Track covers right out of Art Center.

Here's his Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Zwart

Check out his client list?

Like I said, I expect this is way bigger money than anything fashion?

And… the boy can drive.

This video is way too much fun:

http://youtu.be/Tc5ucDzFPAk

Too bad he wasn't driving Paul Walker's car.

RBD

Edited to add:  Feel free to turn up the audio on the video.  It's a symphony.

I completely agree.... and yes he can drive! holly shit!

Jul 16 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fred Greissing wrote:

often referred by me.

I feel you on most things but getting an education is never a bad idea. Too many photographers end up on skid row after a good run making decent cash.

My personal view is to compare the quality of the program to ensure that there is a useful component that is transferable to things other than holding a camera.

As a side note: When I was in school every kid wanted to be a rapper or sports star. A lawyer who was giving a lecture told my class that you had a better chance of getting into law school and becoming a lawyer than ever getting drafted into the NBA. I took his advice and lot's of the skills that education gave me is directly transferable to photography and other for-profit projects I'm involved in.

Paying $50K though...hell no. The camera they provide better be plated with gold.

Jul 16 14 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

I wish I had a degree, it will set me in stone with my job or future jobs.
having a degree now is equivalent to a high school degree imo....

Jul 16 14 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Fred Greissing wrote:

there are tons of small businesses who need professional photographers, options are not limited....and also sears and real estate is more than min wage; but money is money, if you need a job and love photography, why not.

Jul 16 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: To answer your question, no, a specific degree in "Photography" is not going to help you one bit. Establishing yourself and networking your (pardon my french) ass off is going to help you to land jobs and establishment.

If you are interested in attending school, my best advice for you is to get a degree in something other than photography (business, tech, or something that is in high demand). Not only will the experience of a legit college help you in your photography because you will have lots of interesting experiences to photograph, but it will also be a good backup just in case photo does not work out for any reason post school.

Most people that have obtained a degree in photography or art for that matter have no idea how to market and sell themselves after the fact. Even those that do might have a rough time trying to do it with the market getting very over saturated these days. If you have the drive and ambition, it is possible to make a living off of photography, but you have to keep your overhead low, and you are not going to be rich by any means.

On the other hand though, if you do get a BFA and then a MFA from a reputable school, you can teach, which will give you a stable income while you are pursuing your practice outside of your teaching gig. You are in for some long hours and hard work for little pay no matter which road that you go.

If I were you and I had 52k to burn with no college education, I would go to a normal 4 year university for that price to obtain a degree that could obtain a good paying job after you graduate. The good paying job will fund your photography ambitions, and keep a roof over your head if you still decide to try it at that point.

Also, last but not least, for those who think that you "have" to go to school to learn photography, I say bullshit...... You can learn the technical part of photography anywhere. However, great photography or art for that matter is a combination of the experience with the technical, and the moment. When these three elements come together, no amount of school can over ride it. If you do go to a traditional college, consider doing a study abroad in several places, that will influence your photography more than any technical school ever will. It is easy to get stuck in the confines of technical limitations. Sometimes you have to throw the technical out the window in favor of capturing the artistic in the moment. It is a push and pull between realms per say.

Good luck in your decision!

Jul 16 14 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jana wrote:

there are tons of small businesses who need professional photographers, options are not limited....and also sears and real estate is more than min wage; but money is money, if you need a job and love photography, why not.

Well Fred is right, the amount of photography needed today has changed.  In 1970 an estimated 10 billion photos were take per year worldwide, in 2013 it was 340 billion.  The Interent has created a greater than exponential increase in the need in images

Jul 16 14 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

I have a Higher National Diploma in Photography which is a two year full time course in the UK, the Bachelor of Arts Degree takes three years. Traditionally the HND was the highest available stills photography qualification in the UK until the Advanced Diploma came along and then Degrees became available. I don't honestly think a degree is necessary for the types of jobs available in photography, unless you want to become a lecturer.

Jul 16 14 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nobody can tell you, it's all individual experience and depends a lot on you. Do whatever you feel is right. Though, Maybe a couple of classes in writing may be an asset..instead judging by the subject title. wink

I think the two in business I'm doing will be worth it, and I don't know off the top of my head but, I factor it was probably 2/3 the cost of what you're being quoted for just one.

May want to shop around a bit and see what you really want, what your goals are, before plunking down any money. There are many industries in photography and all of them work differently.. different skillsets are more important than others.

Jul 16 14 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

vsfotografi wrote:
Do "you" think pursuing a degree in photography is a "must"? What are the pros/cons--in your opinion?

A "must" -- no, it's not.

Pros:
...  A good teacher will challenge you better than you will on your own.
...  A good course will organize all the technical stuff you need to learn.
...  A good teacher can give good, constructive feedback (as opposed
     to the poor quality critiques you get on in the Critique forum).
...  A good course will move you away from your comfort zone.

Cons:
...  Many people here think "self taught" is a badge of honor.
...  Courses take time, effort, and money.
...  Not all courses & not all teachers are "good".
...  Some people just don't want to be challenged.
...  Not all people are good students.

In my case, I did take a couple of classes in college and a handful of good workshops afterwards.  I also excelled in graduate school and am more capable than most at challenging myself.  Still, I leaned a hecka lot in those classes & workshops -- stuff I probably would have never learned on my own.

Jul 16 14 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fred Greissing wrote:

hm, from the look of it you seem to have done all right for yourself fred, why be so negative?

Jul 16 14 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

The degree maybe worthless. The education maybe worthless or it maybe priceless.

As far as Art Center goes, it is one of the best in the country. Some of the best professionals and best teacher are there. It's a very non-traditional school. According to their stats, approximately 1/3 of the beginning class will drop out after the first trimester. Only about 1/3 of them will make it to graduation.

Students come from all over the world to attend. We had students from South America, Europe, Japan, Canada and all over the US. The first trimester is a trial by fire. Not only do you take photography, but beginning design, color and drawing. The work load is huge and competitive like mad. That is how you learn.

The school has a big rep in LA. Looking for job got you noticed before anyone else. I was assisting for Dick Richards on Polaroid and Coke ads, Marshall Lefferts on Toyota. It opened many doors to ad agencies. They now include business classes.

It's an inside joke. Obviously typical MM fashion some people didn't read it right.

Jul 16 14 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Thomas Andreas wrote:
it's what's in your port followed by your level of networking skills that count in this line of work. Spending your resources in a degree will most likely kill some, if not all, enthusiasm that you have at this point and after you get the degree you are back at 0.

And you based this on what? That's not true at all. For many of us, the education has done the opposite. The real bottom line here is going to depend on what your goals are. I often wonder while I read the replies on here, do many of the naysayers actually attended school? Or is it based on speculation. Education, school, student, what their goals are etc is going to play a role in a successful student/artist.

Jul 16 14 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
The degree maybe worthless. The education maybe worthless or it maybe priceless.

As far as Art Center goes, it is one of the best in the country. Some of the best professionals and best teacher are there. It's a very non-traditional school. According to their stats, approximately 1/3 of the beginning class will drop out after the first trimester. Only about 1/3 of them will make it to graduation.

Students come from all over the world to attend. We had students from South America, Europe, Japan, Canada and all over the US. The first trimester is a trial by fire. Not only do you take photography, but beginning design, color and drawing. The work load is huge and competitive like mad. That is how you learn.

The school has a big rep in LA. Looking for job got you noticed before anyone else. I was assisting for Dick Richards on Polaroid and Coke ads, Marshall Lefferts on Toyota. It opened many doors to ad agencies. They now include business classes.

It's an inside joke. Obviously typical MM fashion some people didn't read it right.

You basically described the school that I'd attended here. I still have 12 classes left. But to me, it is worth it. I was doing photography way before the school move. BUT, I didn't have the versatility before school. I've shot pretty much every damn thing that you can think both in commercial, fine arts etc. Product, still life, fashion, cars, business classes etc etc. And, like you'd pointed out. We have to do more than photography. We have liberal art classes that we're obligated to take. Art History, photography history, design, color, painting etc.

I tell you what. That first year actually does determine who will drop out and who will go on. It can be very demanding. Especially during mid terms and finals. And sometimes you're going to get Art Directors coming both looking at your work and telling you what they look for and don't look for. Spring shows are also a bonus. Companies from all over come to look at your work with the goal to hire you, if your work is good. I've met students from all over the planet at my school. And I've been fortunate to have met some well known photographers. When you get Joyce Tenneson and Matthew Jordan Smith for example at your school giving lectures, it speaks volumes.

Jul 16 14 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:
Try community colleges if you want an actual degree on paper.

If you want an edge in the market, I think there are better ways to spend $52k.

A degree will get you an entry-level job.

This, take basic classes in photography at local community college, also digital editing courses, then build a presentable portfolio on line and actual book portfolio, invest your hard earned money in gear !

Best wishes, Paulie/ PDF IMAGES

Jul 16 14 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

First four years at N.Y.U., a good solid foundation for me. While working at the WSJ I attended The School of Visual Arts at night for three years, worth every moment. Learning how to shoot with 8x10 & 5x7 view cameras taught me that every shot counted. The best evenings at the school was the guest lectures given by famous working photographers' and photography magazine editors/writers. The best schools required a 'portfolio' review, many were turned down in my day. A college degree today is even necessary to be a receptionist, times are a changing!

Jul 16 14 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Fred Ackerman wrote:
snip - A college degree today is even necessary to be a receptionist, times are a changing!

That's a bit of stretch! No!

A degree for something more technical sure but not for answering phones.

Jul 16 14 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

First, So many are saying to take the $52K and do...  I believe the OP said that is the total they came up with.  Not sure how but it is just a number and probably not how much the OP actually has.

Having said that, the actual "degree" won't help you one bit, outside of academia.  But the education you receive at the school could be very beneficial.  But that's up to you.

I Look at it this way.  I went through a very well respected professionally photography program at Daytona Bch. Comm. College (Now Daytona State).  At the time (mid 80s) it was a great program.  I hear it's still pretty good.  In those two years I had access to great teachers EVERYDAY.  I had access to many studios both small and large enough to shoot cars...EVERYDAY.  I had access to darkrooms and color printing machines and E-6 machines to develop my chromes EVERYDAY.  I'm sure a lot is digital now but I hear they still teach all formats 35mm through 4x5...film the first two semesters.

In other words, for two years I had access to everything I needed to learn this craft and as often as I wanted to.  Access to the studios and equipment was included in the tuition and/or lab fees.  I took advantage of it.  Those who didn't take it as seriously didn't and soon dropped out.  Out of the 60 people in the first semester, 10 of us were left in the last semester.   

We also had several well known photographers come to the school for lectures, seminars and week long workshops.  If there was a fee it was very nominal.  People like Ken Marcus, Eddie Adams, Mary Ellen Mark, and Jerry Uelsmann are just a few of the many who stopped by.  We were also asked to volunteer at the FPP convention to help speakers and print competition.  Again another place to meet and learn from those already successful in the field.  That's how I met my mentor and dear departed friend Dean Collins.  A lot of the students I went to school with found people that could assist once they were done.  From what I remember, Ken Marcus came to our school because I recent graduate was his assistant at the time and somehow arranged it. 

I'm not saying everyone will have the same experience I had but you can't tell me someone with limited funds or just starting will have the same access to studios, lights, equipment and instructors to ask questions whenever you want in the same two year time span.  I see it as a way to have access to things you may not be able to if you don't go. 

I had an assisting job waiting for me the day I got out of school and was working as the in-house photographer for an ad agency 6 months later shooting products for ads in national and international magazines.  Again, maybe not the norm for many but I as I said, I took advantage of everything the school could offer me and ran with it.  What others do is up to them.   

And not that business education isn't important.  It is.  But you don't need a degree in it either.  I know very few successful photographers that have business degrees.  They did somehow learn the business of photography they do or they hired someone to do it for them.  But a business degree is not necessary either.

Jul 16 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:

That's a bit of stretch! No!

A degree for something more technical sure but not for answering phones.

Piece in the New York Times not long ago said that was becoming the new 'normal', I was surprised. Yet even in my own family I see many with Master's and PHD's, a simple four year degree for some jobs is not enough.

Jul 16 14 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

when I quit the corporate world was when the dictate became...hire only the young people with degrees at minimum with no pension and get rid of the highly degreed high paid people who gave 30+ yrs or more...keep a few to overwork them to make up for the brain drain...sad but true...so...what lesson here....life is not fair...do what you do at your own risk

Jul 16 14 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Andreas

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Legacys 7 wrote:

And you based this on what? That's not true at all. For many of us, the education has done the opposite. The real bottom line here is going to depend on what your goals are. I often wonder while I read the replies on here, do many of the naysayers actually attended school? Or is it based on speculation. Education, school, student, what their goals are etc is going to play a role in a successful student/artist.

If we where in an private discussion I'd tell you that an art cannot be learned. Techniques, yes, in many ways (most of them without a degree, all modern photography theory exists in youtube, blogs and forums), instead art is shaped in the here and now for the future, not something that is aimed or planned.

As for degrees. Any kind of degree will make the same person better, than the same person would be without a degree. Education is important as it gives one a system under which one can think. But what's actually important is to realize that education is that (a thinking system) and it does not really affect the practicing part of anything. Scalping a mind into accepting new thinking systems is what higher education really does. But it wouldn't make a difference to a photographer if he/she would have a degree in photography or a degree in agriculture or business as I've seen all these degrees turn into some great photographers, full of skill.

The final goal for everyone is to sleep well at nights.

Jul 17 14 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

AJScalzitti wrote:
Again this is equating the final piece of paper with what, if any, doors it opens.  Sure you are not going to work as an art buyer, art director, or a teacher without one.

My wife has no college degree, but worked as an art director for several international advertising agencies. Her clients included leading grocery chains (international), italian furniture manufacturers, cosmetics lo list a few...

Jul 17 14 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I formally studied photography and design at TAFE here and it helped in getting started and my foot into the door for employment. They taught me technical skills but what they lacked were the business side of things. Once I got my start I feel like I learned more in one year working in the field then the entire 4 years I studied.

Jul 17 14 04:05 am Link