Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Skin Wars - HMS thoughts and discussions

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Is anyone else watching the new bodypaint competition show? I know some of the competitors... what do you all think???

Aug 17 14 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I've watched a couple of the shows and it is interesting as is SyFi's Face Off. What I have difficulty with though, is the massive pieces of adhesive tape used to cover the model's nipples and aureolas and the bikini briefs they are made to wear. The artists do accomplish some terrific bits of body paint art.

Aug 17 14 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Grin Without a Cat

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am enjoying it...been a fan of FaceOff for years and I enjoy all the competition shows with a similar slant (Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge was another one).

Like always though, I wish there was more focus on the techniques and the work itself, and less of the manufactured drama.

Aug 17 14 04:23 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
I've watched a couple of the shows and it is interesting as is SyFi's Face Off. What I have difficulty with though, is the massive pieces of adhesive tape used to cover the model's nipples and aureolas and the bikini briefs they are made to wear. The artists do accomplish some terrific bits of body paint art.

Yeah, TV is funny that way. I keep thinking someone will get smart and offer an "unblurred" DVD without all the silly croppings and blurry bits. Maybe more footage of the actual process too. I would pay for some FaceOff dvd's that actually showed how they actually do what they do instead of cutting every 5-10 seconds.

Aug 17 14 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Funny how American shows discovered sex sells but then get gun shy.  In cases like these two shows, it really takes a way a lot and IMO makes them unwatchable (assuming you don't have the attention span of a squirrel)

Aug 17 14 06:34 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

I've not been able to bring myself to watch it......

Knowing what goes on *behind the curtain* on the typical reality show allows me to be more jaded than normal.

Aug 17 14 06:47 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Lisa Berczel wrote:
I've not been able to bring myself to watch it......

Knowing what goes on *behind the curtain* on the typical reality show allows me to be more jaded than normal.

It's not too bad. Very similar to Face Off in many ways. I'm just glad to see bodypaint being presented in a positive light and (mostly) non-sexually charged manner.

Aug 17 14 06:56 pm Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:

It's not too bad. Very similar to Face Off in many ways. I'm just glad to see bodypaint being presented in a positive light and (mostly) non-sexually charged manner.

^^This^^

Aug 17 14 06:59 pm Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

It's been fun to watch, since I know about half of the current season's contestants. There is, however, a rather contentious debate going on in Facebook over the portrayal of the sexual side of body painting. While some say that it should be portrayed as completely non sexual, you also have 1 contestant saying, basically, "I get to do my artwork on nekkid girls".
One must point out that the mere fact that we DO paint on "nekkid girls" is the primary reason people want to see our art. How many of us would be as active if all our art were on plain, square, canvas in a frame? How come the reality show was named "Naked Vegas" if there shouldn't be any emphasis on nudity?
Some of the FB comments are very indignant that anyone would even suggest such a thing. How dare they imply that our art has a sexual component???
I'm afraid I find such priggery rather naive AND pretentious.

Does anyone besides me hope they get asked to compete in a future season? Don't know how my day job would feel about an employee being gone for about a month, though.

Aug 25 14 09:57 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Watching means one has standard TV.....most folks stream.....is it streaming?

Having been sought out to do these type shows...since I've said no...nope Cat not hoping..but will send 'em your way.

And no I do not want to sexualize my body art...the reality is, it is sometimes, somewhat so.  For their TV needs sex sells.

Aug 25 14 06:03 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Cat Camp wrote:
It's been fun to watch, since I know about half of the current season's contestants. There is, however, a rather contentious debate going on in Facebook over the portrayal of the sexual side of body painting. While some say that it should be portrayed as completely non sexual, you also have 1 contestant saying, basically, "I get to do my artwork on nekkid girls".
One must point out that the mere fact that we DO paint on "nekkid girls" is the primary reason people want to see our art. How many of us would be as active if all our art were on plain, square, canvas in a frame? How come the reality show was named "Naked Vegas" if there shouldn't be any emphasis on nudity?
Some of the FB comments are very indignant that anyone would even suggest such a thing. How dare they imply that our art has a sexual component???
I'm afraid I find such priggery rather naive AND pretentious.

Does anyone besides me hope they get asked to compete in a future season? Don't know how my day job would feel about an employee being gone for about a month, though.

That debate is bothering me as well. If there is NO sexual component to bodypaint... there would be very little interest in it at all. However, that does not mean that it has to be primarily sexual in nature, or overtly sexual, or tastelessly sexual. I think many people have a hard time finding balance in this part of their lives and it reflects in our attitudes towards nudity, sexuality, and art. To me, they do pretty well (for "broadcast" TV) at striking a balance... titillating the viewers a bit to keep them interested but focusing primarily on artistic and creative merit. TV and bodypaint are similar in many ways... you need to get and hold your audience first or you get no chance at higher minded aspirations about message and intent.

I also am getting a bit tired of people who are hassling the painters because the show makes claims like "Ten of the best artists in the nation" or whatnot. EVERYONE who is ANYONE in this business hypes themselves as best they can. It's all subjective anyways.

Aug 26 14 09:17 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

@ Rich, yep, a balance would be great! SW does seem to be trying to keep it clean & I certainly appreciate the heck out of that.
While I have done both sexualized & non-sexualized body paintings, my personal aim is to make art on a 3 dimensional canvas that shows the beauty of both together.
lol, Loretta! I think I'd like to at least be approached for the same reason that there's something flattering (if stoooopid) about having someone misappropriate my painting as their own! Nice recognition. Is that weird?

Aug 26 14 09:42 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Cat Camp wrote:
@ Rich, yep, a balance would be great! SW does seem to be trying to keep it clean & I certainly appreciate the heck out of that.
While I have done both sexualized & non-sexualized body paintings, my personal aim is to make art on a 3 dimensional canvas that shows the beauty of both together.
lol, Loretta! I think I'd like to at least be approached for the same reason that there's something flattering (if stoooopid) about having someone misappropriate my painting as their own! Nice recognition. Is that weird?

Having been misappropriated at (?) a few times now... the flattering part wears off and leaves annoyance behind. The really funny ones is when I am doing my job as a moderator and find people trying to join MM using my own images. (or those of Pashur, Craig Tracy, Joanne Gair, and other artists much more noteworthy than myself)

Aug 26 14 09:57 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Cat you're so funny.

Painters asked to audition for such shows varies a good deal in skill level...in fact surprisingly so. They are not only looking for the top talent but worthy TV.  So being asked to audition rests in more factors than skill and portfolio.

Any competition wins mean your on top that day at the moment. Many top artists doing body painting right now are not in the public eye as there are many ways to show your art and many ways to fill your ego and pocketbook.

Aug 30 14 11:18 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been watching it since the premier.

I'm also friends with / have known / have worked with several people in the since I first started shooting bodypaint on a regular basis.  I also attended the premier showing here in LV and the weekly viewing party at a bar here in LV.

I find the show pretty interesting and have learned a few things about the various tecniques used. 

At least two of the contestants have stated that the show is edited so that some of the comments and actions were taken waaaay out of context.  Some of the other people in the show say 'no, that's really how that person comes across'.

Just a few weeks before the Skin Wars premier I was on a restaurant 'Reality' show and can attest that we were told things to say and do, and the program was edited to make certain people look bad, even though I thought they were GREAT.... so I do believe that the Skin Wars contestants that claimed it was edited to make them look bad is a valid complaint.

Some of the other observations... I think being on TV can make an artist 'choke' when having to work.  When I first met one of the artists over 1 1/2 years ago I thought she was fantastic, and painted a beautiful dress on a model, and it looked like it was really made out of silk.  On the show her work didn't live up to the standards that I've witnessed from her, and the work that she's doing on her own since the filming ended is FANTASTIC!

Many people still equate bodypainting with nudity and sex.  When I post photos of the events, many of my conservative friends and family pretend not to see it (but I've developed many, many fans from posting the shots).   I mean come on... it's tame enough to be on THE GAME SHOW NETWORK... the cable station for little old ladies to watch 40 year old episodes of 'The Match Game'.  How 'dirty' can it be???

Skin Wars Premier party
Inspire Theater, LVNV
https://www.facebook.com/ken.elsner/med … 535&type=3

LV Bodypaint Jamtacular Day 1
(features many of the people from Skin Wars and SyFy's "Naked Vegas")

LV Bodypaint Jamtacular Day 2
(features many of the people from Skin Wars and SyFy's "Naked Vegas")

Aug 30 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sweet Loretta wrote:
Painters asked to audition for such shows varies a good deal in skill level...in fact surprisingly so. They are not only looking for the top talent but worthy TV.  So being asked to audition rests in more factors than skill and portfolio.

I pretty much agree with what you said.
For the most part at least half the competitors have a unique look that makes them seem more like a cartoon character than an average Joe.  Dutch and Gear have the colorful spikey hair, Mythica with no hair at all, and the recently removed contestant that dressed in a bow tie... I think the producers are looking for that just as much as they're looking for talent, if not even more than they're looking for talent.

It makes for a good story.

Aug 30 14 11:54 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

For the tapings I've done bodypaint for (non-contestant) , the *talent* were on automatic pilot. This is their JOB. Aside from ratcheting up every little thing to 11, there were 3 reaction responses taped for every pivot-point.  Plenty of latitude for the editors to cut for whatever story was required to move the story forward across multiple episodes in the most dramatic way possible.

This was years ago - and I don't see any change to the formula.

I've been interviewed a few times, but have always stressed how my job on set is to be non-drama. Funny, I don't get a call back.

Drama = Rating.

Ratings are more important than the Artistry of the Content.

Content is the gimmick to frame the show around.

I have seasoned friends and colleges who are on these shows in several different genres. I've consulted for and developed techniques for some of them. 

For each contestant I've worked with, participating was a deliberate, calculated choice in self-marketing. Eyes wide open as to the up-side and down-side of everything that was out of their control. They had to be able to walk away from 4-6'ish weeks of work to go off the grid, not counting the pre-production calls, meetings and design work that may be required. More power to them for those willing to roll the dice.

For the competition style shows, It's pretty apparent watching the first episode which *role* each contestant was cast for. Veteran trying to go out on top. Educator trying to prove they can walk-the-talk. Home-taught, DIY trying to prove they can contend with the formally trained. Just-graduated student who wants to kick start their career....

What's sad is when every once in a while it becomes apparent that sometimes the contestants don't understand they're not really in contention - they're on the show to serve as cannon fodder.

That should be enough for now. Could write more, but who wants to hear about..... let's just say these are relatively small communities when it gets down to it.

Did I mention that I'm a bit jaded?

Edit to add: No. I haven't watched skin wars. I'm having too much fun poking my friends in other industries with what's happened in the latest episode of Heroes of Cosplay.

Aug 30 14 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The finale will air this Wednesday, and a reunion show which was taped a week ago will be shown immediately after.  (The original series was taped in the spring).

The show has been renewed for another season, so they're in the process of accepting more contestants!

Sep 22 14 02:31 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Looks like they are casting, I think I will be putting my hat in. Anyone else?

Sep 25 14 08:46 pm Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

Yeah, me too. I even checked first with the day job & would be able to keep it if picked for a show.

Sep 29 14 11:51 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Go for it!  I'd like to see both of you on the show!
(from your portfolios I already think you're better artists than a few that were on the show).

I'm faaaaar from qualified as being the 'official' spokesperson for Skin Wars, but I've been told that the taping will most likely begin in January or February.  According to one of the contestants they lived in the house and filmed everything over a 45 day period.

I was surprised because I thought they filmed an episode every day or two, thinking it would be less than a 2 week stint... but they had to also do stuff for ads, P.R., the web... etc.

Scenes from our Las Vegas 'Skin Wars Season 1' Finale viewing party.

Sep 29 14 12:36 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
According to one of the contestants they lived in the house and filmed everything over a 45 day period.

I was surprised because I thought they filmed an episode every day or two, thinking it would be less than a 2 week stint... but they had to also do stuff for ads, P.R., the web... etc.

Are you one of Gears friends??

Yeah, from what I have heard there were some SERIOUSLY long days and they didn't stop for much over that time period. If I were to get on the show the physical stamina may be one of the biggest challenges!

Sep 29 14 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Are you one of Gears friends??

Sort of.
More like close acquaintances... he's friends with allot of my friends type of thing, and we're often at the same parties and events.  He's a very outgoing and friendly guy, so it's pretty safe to say I think he's friends with everyone he meets!

Sep 30 14 12:01 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

One of the other problems that happens with a show with this kind of judging format is that you clearly don't have to be the best to win the title.  You just can't have a bad day.

It's kind of like having a baseball players compete against each other in a batting competition.

One player can hit a home run every time he's at bat while another player can only get first base hits each time.  It's fairly obvious who the better hitter is, but if the judging was based on the reality show formula if the home run hitter has a bad day and strikes out once, he's out of the competition and the other player wins.

I think that's pretty much what happened on the series.

Sep 30 14 12:31 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

I might have agreed at one point... but then I heard on the reunion show what the judging criteria was... and that changed everything in my mind. According to the criteria they gave, Natalie was a very strong competitor. (feel free to discuss in PM)

Sep 30 14 12:36 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

New season begins June 10th!
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/0 … sn/388262/

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Skin-Wars-Season-2-350x237.jpg

I knew several of the competitors from the previous season, but don't know any of them this time.
Wonder if any are on MM?

Apr 13 15 01:46 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

I know Marcio and he is on MM.

I know Sammie, and she MIGHT be on MM. Not sure.

Several others are Facebook friends, but don't know their MM status.

Apr 30 15 12:13 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

I know Kyle from Orlando; he's going to be fun to watch, I think!

May 01 15 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

In case anyone's in LV this week:

he LV Bodypaint Jamtacular starts on Wednesday and runs through Friday.
Many bodypainters from Skin Wars and Naked Vegas will be teaching and/or painting.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jamtacular/

... and...

Robin Slonina, the owner of Skin City and producer/judge of Skin Wars has announced the official premier screening party for the 2015 season of the show.  https://scontent-6.22773.fna.fbcdn.net/ … e=55C25654

Wednesday, June 10 for 6-11pm at the Inspire Theater
LV Blvd @ Fremont.

May 31 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Bikinis and tape ruin it.  Total waste of time.

May 31 15 11:31 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dutch from last years Skin Wars was here in LV for the LVFB Jamtacular.
He painted this awwwesome piece on Wednesday:

https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/p480x480/11393418_10152878455622536_1951129356628214036_o.jpg
Model: Michelle Clary

... and then this one on Thursday:
https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/p480x480/10485425_10152881343802536_898601038847385264_o.jpg
model: Erica St. Evergreen

What's really interesting is that Dutch usually starts AFTER everyone else and finishes way before everyone else.

But the most fun was when Mark Reid (not on Skin Wars), who's known for his designer jeans taught a class, and then we took two models out and walked up and down the LV Strip.  Saturday nights are the busiest with thousands of people walking around, yet only a few people noticed that the models were not wearing pants or a top.  (They were wearing tiny merkins and pasties though).

It should be noted that due to the camera flash, the pants look cartoonish.  Under natural light they look real.

https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/p480x480/11406243_10152883844052536_4353693906377114189_o.jpg
models Nicole and Samantha

Jun 09 15 12:11 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cat Camp wrote:
I know Kyle from Orlando; he's going to be fun to watch, I think!

I'm soon shooting a local model that's also worked with Kyle, but I don't know him.

Reminder to anyone in the LV area, the Premier Party is tomorrow night beginning at 6pm at the Inspire Theater on Fremont at LV Blvd, kitty corner from Neonopolis.

Jun 09 15 04:37 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

An interesting article about Robin Slonina, judge and co-producer on Skin City.
She mentions a bit about how contestants are found, which some of you have shown interest in.

http://lasvegasweekly.com/as-we-see-it/ … -painting/

Jun 11 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dutch, Gear, and Natalie Fletcher (winner of last seasons Skin Wars) will now be starring in their own bodypainting show on GSN.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/0 … nt/446195/

Former "Skin Wars" All-Stars Mentor Non-Body Painting Artists In One-Hour Special

Hosted By Entertainer RuPaul Charles

August 10, 2015, SANTA MONICA, Calif. — GSN, the leader in game shows and competitive entertainment, plans to expand upon the popularity of its hit series SKIN WARS with a new one-hour special, SKIN WARS: FRESH PAINT, where three of the show’s most memorable former contestants will mentor artists who have never body painted before.  Airing Wednesday, August 26 at 8pm ET/PT (7pm CT), the self-contained spinoff is hosted by entertainer and master of transformation, RuPaul Charles, who also serves as a judge on SKIN WARS.

SKIN WARS: FRESH PAINT features six highly accomplished artists, each at the top of their game in their own disciplines, as they leave their creative comfort zones to compete in body painting for the first time.  The artists must conquer three difficult challenges, as they are mentored by three top artists from the first season of SKIN WARS: Dutch Bihary, Gear Duran and season one champion, Natalie Fletcher.  The artists will work closely with their body painting mentors as they try to quickly master the craft and win the $10,000 prize and become a Skin Wars: Fresh Paint Champion.

Aug 10 15 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's speculation that Skin Wars is in the process of recruiting contenders for season 3, which will most likely start taping in the fall.

Aug 10 15 04:12 pm Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

"For each contestant I've worked with, participating was a deliberate, calculated choice in self-marketing. Eyes wide open as to the up-side and down-side of everything that was out of their control. They had to be able to walk away from 4-6'ish weeks of work to go off the grid, not counting the pre-production calls, meetings and design work that may be required. More power to them for those willing to roll the dice. "

This is pretty much why, for me, going on the show would be fun. I researched leaving work with my employer & it's fine; I like traveling, like seeing new places, etc. Competition always ups my game; that would be a plus. I do my best work under stress, so hopefully the time constraints wouldn't completely throw me off.  It's definitely something that, at my age would be a blast! Just think, I'd almost surely be the body painter who has been painting the very longest! Anyone else being pro at this continually since 1983?

Aug 12 15 10:29 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Skin Wars Seasons 1 and 2 is now available at hulu.com
About half the episodes are available to everyone, the other episodes are only available to subscirbers.

Aug 13 15 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The official announcement was just released that there will be a Skin Wars III.
Unofficially, it's being taped in October, so it's probably going to be shown in the late winter or early spring of 2016.

Aug 31 15 12:14 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Cat Camp wrote:
"For each contestant I've worked with, participating was a deliberate, calculated choice in self-marketing. Eyes wide open as to the up-side and down-side of everything that was out of their control. They had to be able to walk away from 4-6'ish weeks of work to go off the grid, not counting the pre-production calls, meetings and design work that may be required. More power to them for those willing to roll the dice. "

This is pretty much why, for me, going on the show would be fun. I researched leaving work with my employer & it's fine; I like traveling, like seeing new places, etc. Competition always ups my game; that would be a plus. I do my best work under stress, so hopefully the time constraints wouldn't completely throw me off.  It's definitely something that, at my age would be a blast! Just think, I'd almost surely be the body painter who has been painting the very longest! Anyone else being pro at this continually since 1983?

You got me beat by 8-9 years!

Sep 14 15 11:39 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

I'se ancient, yes I is!

Sep 16 15 09:53 am Link