Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Set makeup artist vs. counter makeup artist??

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Maya Angela

Chicago, Illinois, US

What are the differences between makeup artists that work on set (editorial, television,film) and counter artists? What are the standards and are they the same do both types of artists?  I know you have to be engaging and extremely approachable as a counter artist. What is the expectations as a on set makeup artist?  How are the work styles the same or different? Which artist do you prefer being?

Aug 19 14 09:13 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Working counter is discussed fairly regularly - a search will bring up lots of good reading.

Off the top of my head, frequent points have been:
1) Counter work is more about sales goals and pushing product. Doesn't matter how *great* a makeup artist you are, don't meat goals and there will be trouble.

2) Counter work is great experience as far as working with a lot of different skin types.

3) Counter products are not always something that will end up in a kit. Could be poorer quality or more expensive than pro brands.

4) Application for photography has very different requirements than "day wear". SPF, for example.

5) Working counter pays the bills.....

That being said, working with the public can help build a thicker skin, application speed, tact.... all of which helps on set.

Aug 21 14 09:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

I would NEVER sell cosmetics for a living. And I never have. Why? I could never lie about a product's performance or push products someone doesn't need or can't afford. I'm a terrible salesperson and I know it. I would hate being tied to only one brand and being forced to use it day in and out. Putting makeup on a random person's face so they can choose products to buy doesn't feel like anything remotely akin to art or creating something. I make far more money in what I'm doing as well.

This is just me. I think if you like working a counter and selling things, go for it! If it makes you happy and you can live off of what you make, that's what's important. I also think if you have no connections and very little to no experience, it's a fabulous way to learn the basics and how to deal with difficult people.

Aug 21 14 11:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Janet Harris

Allen, Texas, US

Actually as I have found out there is a big difference having worked behind makeup counters with multiple makeup line for over 20 yrs ... its about pushing the products .... which I enjoyed at the time, but longed for a change. In that same time period I slowly weaned myself out of retail sales to work on bridal, editorial, film and video ... which I absolutely love !!

A lot of the makeup counter looks might be too harsh for some styles of editorial and some film/video/tv depending on the directions given for the makeup. I learned to collaborate for the style and feel of the look with whomever is in charge of the project, so we are all happy with the finished result.

I have learned to edit myself on applying the makeup because not always is a full face of makeup needed. I have learned so much working on a variety of projects, especially how to judge my work on camera (both photography and hd camera's) and working with a wide range of clients. I had never worked men or children until I stepped out of the counter ... if not difficult, just different !

You also need to learn on set etiquette to do your job and be a team player !

Hope this helps  smile

Aug 21 14 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Counter, you may spend a max of 15 minutes per client, promote certain products for that week....

It are mostly consumer products, so the percentage of for example pigment's is lower.....not really useful for professional (excepts certain Chanel products, like Blanc du Chanel and the Pro-Lumiére series)

the only good thing is you ge used to many different faces, of all ages.......it's a good work to keep up the practise wink

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com
(used to do it for MAC, Chanel, Clinique etc)

Aug 21 14 12:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

the difference is about $1000.00 a day give or take.

Aug 21 14 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Makeup by Maya Angela wrote:
What are the differences between makeup artists that work on set (editorial, television,film) and counter artists? What are the standards and are they the same do both types of artists?  I know you have to be engaging and extremely approachable as a counter artist. What is the expectations as a on set makeup artist?  How are the work styles the same or different? Which artist do you prefer being?

Editorial: Editorial is ideal for those that want to focus on doing makeup for mostly photo based projects. Clients include: magazines, websites, print advertisements, etc. If you like fashion you'll love working in the editorial world.

Television/Film: This is a broad category! Television/film can include:
-Working on a show set, for a station, or working on a movie set. Obviously there are dozens of categories within each discipline (like special FX). Some MUAs focus on Special FX while others might cater to more 'glam' based projects.

To work on television/film and editorials I think having a very strong eye is key. You must know what will photograph/film well. You also have to be comfortable working well under pressure, working quickly, and networking.

Counter: Typically counter artists cater to the general public. Everything from prom girls to older ladies looking for the perfect red lipstick. Usually they do makeup tutorials and for special events. Ultimately it's all about sales. There are a lot of really fantastic counter artists out there...there are also some bad ones who do well because they're good at sales. A lot of people often start out as counter artists.

I am an editorial based MUA. I typically do a lot of work for lookbooks, clothing brands, and websites. WHat I love most about being an editorial MUA is the fact that there is often a lot of creative control. One day I might be putting rhinestones over someone's eyebrows and the next I'll be creating a glamourous smokey eye.

I also love that my craft allows me to meet all sorts of awesome people and that everyday is different. I almost never shoot in the same spot twice.

I personally HATED working at a counter. I disliked having to hustle to get people to buy things in order to meet my sales goals. I just wanted to be creative without a manager breathing down my neck. Counter work does in fact pay the bills though and it's a good way to practice if you're still new to the makeup world.

Aug 22 14 12:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

It's apples and oranges    Completely different worlds

Working on set you have to be prepared for anything , character makeup. Fx. Beauty
Your kit is completely different than a counter makeup artist and probably weighs at least 25 more pounds
Besides having what you use on your station , you also have to have a set bag full of anything they could possibly want on you including covering tattoos or creating them , plugging ear holes or piercings , Laying hair or stubble or shaving , doing nails ect ect.

They are COMPLETELY different animals  and I'm just scratching the surface

Aug 23 14 11:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What are the differences between makeup artists that work on set (editorial, television,film) and counter artists?

Maya you are one of the few lucky ones who are located in a major market... either avenue is conceivably open to you... That said, competition is rather keen in both... few actually support themselves and a family in this field... it is primarily the domain of freelancers i.e. independent consultants... be certain you're up on what the IRS expects in reporting your earnings... even the counter reps are not likely to have full time employee benefits a.k.a. health care, paid vacation, maturity leave and such...  An exception would be  I.A.T.S.E.  International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. afl-cio... believe they have health care coverage... Want to join?  Great! Here's the application  and such a deal... only a $3500
initiation fee... and you're still primarily a freelancer...

What are the standards

Might review the aforementioned application to get your head around what they are looking for...

Bottom Line?  In my market it's bridal and agency assignments that pay the bills... Your market may be entirely different... in fact every major market area not only differs but this dynamic is seasonal also a.k.a. bridal...  not doing a lot of bridal work in January through April... Oh well... lot's of time to clean brushes and stock up on consumables...

How are the work styles the same or different?

All I can share with you that is anywhere near authoritative is assist this is the tried and proven path... 

Which artist do you prefer being?

I'm a makeup artist, period... only the clients differ and their expectations need to be met and/or exceeded regardless if it's retail or commercial else you're toast... Each has it's merits and limitations... love bridal since there is a demand for airbrush (my forte) however it's highly seasonal so I end up doing a considerable amount of commercial (male grooming for video productions). You're in Chicago... you would seriously benefit from obtaining guidance locally not here on Mayhem... enough said...

Hope this helps... All the best on your journey...

Aug 24 14 08:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

Both are different by a lot. Working at a counter is basically selling product. I've rarely seen talent at the few counters I go to, but they are awesome at selling. The benefit of working a counter is applying makeup on all skin types, colors and ages which can give you a better idea of how they all work with makeup. Being a professional artist on set is a different ball game. You have crazy call times, sporadic bookings especially if you freelance, you have to have a well developed kit you provide obviously and much much more I could go on about. I have friends that work at counters, Sephora, and MAC, they love what they do. But me personally, I hate it. I love being on set, I love the environment, I love doing what I do. I don't want to sell products I don't believe in, I can't lie anyways. I do fashion/editorial shoots typically and some bridal here and there. Set artists are professionals too, whereas counter makeup salespeople are not. This is all my personal opinion on my experiences with this line of work, someone else may see things differently than I!

Feb 21 15 06:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Entirely different.

Most counter artists.. aren't really professional freelance makeup artists, at least the majority of the ones I have come into contact with.
Counter artists are all about selling, meeting their daily sales goals, pushing products.
I personally would hate to work at a counter. All they care about is selling, they don't care about the quality of work that is at their counter, they don't care about the art of makeup. They want you to be pushy sales people. (When I say they, I mean management and the department store as a company).

Set makeup artists are more creative. You are your own boss, you are your own business. It's more about the art and you're working with other creative individuals. It's a much more inviting atmosphere for me, personally.

Feb 22 15 10:20 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I'll leave the technical specifics to the makeup artists responding - but some of the reasons I'd be unlikely to depend upon a makeup artist for a project that had primarily counter experience:

- Less apt to understand makeup for photography (like clean beauty looks for instance) versus street-wear.
- Lack of understanding of their role on a 1/2 or full-day set, as well as set etiquette.
- Not knowing/using appropriate best-of-class product, rather than what they're directed to sell/use.
- Less ability to reproduce a given fashion or test look.
- Not familiar functioning as part of a project team
- Generally easier to please a random girl/women off the street, as opposed to a photographer, creative director or client.

Feb 22 15 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I'll leave the technical specifics to the makeup artists responding - but some of the reasons I'd be unlikely to depend upon a makeup artist for a project that had primarily counter experience:

- Less apt to understand makeup for photography (like clean beauty looks for instance) versus street-wear.
- Lack of understanding of their role on a 1/2 or full-day set, as well as set etiquette.
- Not knowing/using appropriate best-of-class product, rather than what they're directed to sell/use.
- Less ability to reproduce a given fashion or test look.
- Not familiar functioning as part of a project team
- Generally easier to please a random girl/women off the street, as opposed to a photographer, creative director or client.

John, while you did endeavor to thoughtfully address the OP's query "What is the expectations as a on set makeup artist?"  Possibly making judgmental calls on an area you're lacking tenure which diminish the worth/value/merit of counter artist is questionable... 

- Generally easier to please a random girl/women off the street, as opposed to a photographer, creative director or client.  John how many hours do you have behind a makeup counter?  This is so wrong I'm calling you on this...

The abuse counter personal are subjected to is HUGE!  Trust me, until you've had to meet your manager's goals for day while taking arrogant verbal abuse in a stressed environment a.k.a. a high volume retail store you are clueless... John you are a lens person of talent however that does not qualify you to bash the largest group gainfully employed makeup artist in the United States... Many of the top agency signed makeup artist began their careers behind the counter... MAC is especially well noted for nurturing emerging talent... And yes those who are gifted pass through this milestone quickly however keep in mind, painting face is painting face... It takes hundreds and hundreds of faces before one becomes one with their tools/product/workflow...

Case in point to pass MAC's final hurtle an artist has to complete a full face on possibly a random client in under 30 minutes... Yes they are timed... and Yes artist fail this test... MAC is highly selective...

But wait, for those who say "well at other counters the artist are clueless"  this is total BS... Two of my instructors (licensed estheticians) were reps for a leading brand... they worked high end retail counters on weekends and in two good days pulled in $1K... this is commission and they worked their butts off during the week cold calling all their clients with promises of free samples if they visited them during the weekend...

And for all you who are pontificating on how great you are as an editorial makeup artist... Really?  Life as an independent consultant sucks... sorry no health care, no vacation, no sick leave, no maternity leave... Nordstrom employed counter personal have all the aforementioned...  and they are given options for multiple career paths...

Yes counter work is a huge challenge... retail is a huge challenge... but guess what, there are many standing in line for the cherished opportunity to receive recompense for doing what they love... Totally agree retail counter work is not for everyone... but John, you are so wrong to infer its easier to please a random girl/women off the street, as opposed to a photographer, creative director or client. 

I have worked with so many clueless photographers that have no concept of achieving a narrative's visual statement... That said creative directors are typically in a class by themselves... and are a joy to collaborate with since they typically "get it" 

To the OP, counter work is an stellar entrance point into the commercial side of the equation... but only a milestone for the gifted who pass through this quickly...  In the end every path is different... just as every market is different... For those in the major markets i.e. NYC and LA the world is your oyster... Chicago has been strong in catalog for decades thus the OP might look in that direction....

Hope this helps...

All the best on your journey Maya...

Feb 23 15 09:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brandi Bravo

San Diego, California, US

I love this post, Thomas!^^

Maya, I am currently working as an artist with Bobbi Brown and it has been great.  I'm quite lucky to have gotten a position with an artistry brand because the products are professional-grade and it has given me the opportunity to work with many different clients--all sexes, skin tones/types, and ages.  Working at a counter has given me the chance to get hands-on experience with a diverse group of clientele.  As someone that has not had any traditional, school-based training in makeup artistry, this has been a tremendous learning experience.  Ultimately, my goal is to work in bridal and television and my work behind the counter has been a great stepping stone for this feat.

While working at a counter does require a greater focus on sales than artistry, that is not to say that all counter artists are not talented individuals.  I have seen a fair number of counter artists do independent freelance work all while holding down their positions at the counters.  The beauty of working at a counter is the stability and predictability in your pay.

Feb 24 15 12:59 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have done both.  When I first started at the counter I thought I would be my wonderful, everyone loves me self.  People would listen to me because I was a professional.  Just like in the salon.  Boy talk about an ego deflation!  No one cared about me my background or  that I was a professional anything.  It was ruff going.  And I was the "artist"  I worked in front of the counter.  It's a thankless job for both the counter person and the artist brought in to sell the item of the moment.  You are like a carnival barker.  And you have to wait to get paid depending on wether the account manager likes you enough to put your hours in on time.  I found it quite political.  Thankfully the account  manager was my friend.  Being on set can be quite rewarding.  You'r respected.  Lets face it, they hired you so you don't have to prove anything.  As far as the differences, how much time and space is there to explain that.  Lighting, medium, scenario,.  Counter work is steady however it has its draw backs.  You have to make sales quotas, long hours on your feet and not much respect.  A thankless job.  On set, when you can get it, is long hours on your feet, waiting for things to happen, waiting for payment, the next job to come in.  So on and so forth.  Bottom line, you have to love what you do which ever one you choose.  R-

Feb 25 15 07:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

These responses are terrific! Totally bang on.

Counter work is making money for the company. Freelance is making money for yourself by helping a client get their needs met.

Counter is all about what you wear. Period. Doesn't even matter sometimes what you sell! They want to portray an image of the company and let the walk in clients see it and then purchase then hook them in with repeat business. I have seen so many counter staff who really don't know much about makeup, but spend $1000 on their outfit. I hate to say it, but its full of ageism and sexism. If you are a pretty young boy or girl they love you. If you are overweight, over 40 or look like someone from the cast of the Big Bang Theory, you are toast. Superficial BS at its best.

You will feel like throwing up when they push you to sell a foundation for $150 or a night cream for $375. But if you can go with the flow and bring your best to the job, you can get past these thorny bits. If you find the RIGHT counter for your style and a cool, educated manager, it can be rewarding. Its a gas to do makeup for regular gals and you meet some amazing people.

Hope this helps.

Mar 05 15 08:15 pm Link