Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Best makeup foundation to use on photography

Makeup Artist

Mia Espinosa

Santa Maria, California, US

I know HD makeup works amazing for photography but I cant afford to buy every makeup forever HD shade. Any suggestions on an alternative brand or product?
I was thinking on getting the RCMA palette to start off with but if there are any better ideas please share. Thank you

Sep 30 14 02:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sandra Valero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

You will find tons of valuable info here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=633962

Also, you don't have to buy every shade at all! You can get 3/4 shades and mix them to match your client smile

Oct 01 14 01:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Mia Espinosa

Santa Maria, California, US

Sandra Valero wrote:
You will find tons of valuable info here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=633962

Also, you don't have to buy every shade at all! You can get 3/4 shades and mix them to match your client smile

Thank you! smile

Oct 01 14 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mia Espinosa wrote:
...RCMA palette...

a de facto standard in the industry for photographic sessions... There are compelling reasons why, least of which it has been used consistently in the film, television and stage industry for over fifty years... Containing only vegetable oils, pure waxes and FDA approved colors it rarely if ever causes allergic reactions in clients...

Best of all it is near 50% pigment to vehicle thus can be easily used as concealer straight... in fact I oft thin this product for more shear coverage... be aware it has a rather stiff slip and glide thus takes considerable practice to become proficient with this product... best advice is to thin it when first starting out till you become accustom to it's viscosity... 

Mia since you're endeavoring to achieve cost containment here I would suggest you obtain the "sampler" palettes and order only 1 oz containers of the shade/hue/chroma that your clientele consume the most...

btw, with the KO and Shinto palettes you'll most likely be able to accomodate any ethnicity that sits in your chair...

That said, if you are doing primarily bridal, then look to TEMPTU S/B in as it is by far the most oft requested product at least in my market area... it is tenacious in wear-ability and provides a silky soft translucent veil with a splendid dewy look... 

Hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Oct 02 14 09:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

CrystalBrownBeauty

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Graftobian HD palettes are another option, but RCMA is probably better known. The Graftobian HD foundations are very creamy, so they have less of a learning curve to get started. And you would just thin those out with a primer to get a more sheer liquid consistency if you wanted.

smile

Oct 06 14 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I love my Graftobian palette

I would like to try my hand at the RCMA

Oct 06 14 02:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

I'd say go for the palette.

As you get more clients/work definitely consider investing in MUFE HD they're AMAZING. I only have 5 bottles in my kit and have yet to run into mixing the perfect color for someone. Don't bother buying every other shade just get the lightest hue, the darkest/second darkest hue, and 2-3 shades that are in the middle.

Oct 08 14 11:13 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

if you deal with light asian skin I carry some Etude products as well as fashion 21.  Etude is expensive but has many colours that koreans like.  Fashion 21 is reasonably priced and has a full line with liquid foundations that work well with asian and american skin.  I also like the glittery look that is very popular here in asia.  not so popular in USA.  Just a photographers opinion from the other side of the planet

Nov 03 14 06:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

RCMA is my go-to!!! Recently I've tried Dermacolor and OCC Skin Conceals on shoots, they look good but nothing compares to RCMA. OCC is nice because of the undertones it offers, the coverage is great and its vegan. I like using skin friendly products for peace of mind.

Feb 21 15 05:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

RCMA fan!

Mar 06 15 04:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

RCMA provides a wide range of colors and professional grade formulas, for the shinto and ko palettes with your discount it's only around $100. You can use the foundations as foundations and concealers, so your saving on having to invest in concealers as well! But, make sure to research on how to use the RCMA foundations. There are a few methods and things you need to know. For example, it's important to warm up the product, mix it around on a palette until its creamy before applying to the skin. Also, there's many different ways of diluting the product to get different levels of coverage.

Bobbi Browns foundation and concealer palette is also a beautiful palette. It's around $250, unsure if you get the 40% off discount with that product. It comes with her stick foundations, concealers and correctors.

It just depends on which formulas you prefer to work with. If you can get a chance to sample each one, see which one you like best. These are just my two favorite foundation/concealer palettes out there.

Hope this helps!

Mar 11 15 03:23 pm Link