Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Help! Stilazzi or Zuca?!

Makeup Artist

Enticing Makeup

San Antonio, Texas, US

Hey everyone! So I have a question for all those tenured MUA's out there. I hope you can help me out. I have gotten tired of my hard train case and I have decided to upgrade to something better. The problem is I am undecided between two well-known brands: Zuca or Stilazzi. I'm sure you all know how pricey these bags are so I want to make sure I chose wisely. Here are my concerns with each one:

Stilazzi Gone Topeless: I love the look of this case because you can work out of it. My main concern however is with the weight. I want to be able to carry and lug this around but I'm not sure if it will be too heavy. I also fear that it might be too big. I would say my mua kit is medium sized, but I don't want to have a ton of space left over. Stilazzi also has another case with 4 drawers instead of 8 but the price difference is not that significant, so I don't now if I should get that one or the gone topless which would probably leave me room to grow.

Zuca: I love the wheels on this case. Everyone mentions how easily they glide and how lightweight it is before putting your makeup in it. My concern with this one is that I won't always have space to setup. I don't carry a table with me, so I'm not sure how convinient it would be in those situations. I'm also not too sure how I feel about packing and unpacking everything each time.

Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 16 14 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

I have been looking at both as I plan to upgrade in the near future! I am leaning more heavily towards Stilazzi as it would help me stay more organised... as you say you can work - in the most part - straight from it with the handy draws.

I also prefer Stilazzi to the Zuca as it seems more easily adaptable! I could happily go for the 4 drawers (as I too probably wouldn't fill up 8 drawers) and then if I find I need a bit more space for additional items you can add the clear bags on the sides like extra modules to the existing case.

Although I can not comment on how heavy either of these would be as I don't own any of them yet, I do think Stilazzi would be my choice!

Oct 17 14 01:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

This is a common question on the boards!

It really depends on what you're looking for. I personally prefer the Zuca because it is much easier to travel with and is TSA approved. I also love the fact that everything is so compact. The Zuca is also great for city dwellers/people who frequently use public transportation.

However, the Stilazzi drawer system does give things a more organized appearance. I also like that there is a holder for tissues and wet wipes. I feel like it is still best suited for the artist that is planning on staying relatively local, as it is a bit cumbersome.

Oct 17 14 07:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ann Oster

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a Stilazzi and I LOVE it. I'm a bit of an organization freak so the drawer system is pretty emotionally satisfying. 

I will probably one day invest in a Zuca for easier travel, but so far with the Stilazzi I don't need to worry about running out of space to carry ALL of the things.

Oct 20 14 08:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

JenniferDenise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I personally LOVE my Zuca. 
I fly with my bag every weekend and I like that it's sturdy, the wheels go over gravel and grass easily, and I can fit it into overhead bins.  It has a built in handle on the top and the bottom for overhead lifting. 
I also like that I can sit on it if all the airport seats are full, or talent can sit on it. 
The removable zipper pouches keep everything organized in case TSA decides they need to pull it all apart for a search.  And they keep everything secure so I can lay the bag on its side or back without items shifting too terribly much.

I check a small suitcase of clothing and carry on my makeup.  When I am leaving the airport, I put my suitcase on top of the zuca, and I can wheel everything with one hand.

Oct 20 14 09:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

JenniferDenise wrote:
I personally LOVE my Zuca. 
I fly with my bag every weekend and I like that it's sturdy, the wheels go over gravel and grass easily, and I can fit it into overhead bins.  It has a built in handle on the top and the bottom for overhead lifting
I also like that I can sit on it if all the airport seats are full, or talent can sit on it
The removable zipper pouches keep everything organized in case TSA decides they need to pull it all apart for a search.  And they keep everything secure so I can lay the bag on its side or back without items shifting too terribly much.

I check a small suitcase of clothing and carry on my makeup.  When I am leaving the airport, I put my suitcase on top of the zuca, and I can wheel everything with one hand.

+1 QFT  Zuca has become so ubiquitous for MUA'a that a hair stylist colleague of mine complains she's oft mistaken for the MUA on commercial sets because of her Zuca smile   

And best of all, you can get those charismatic Flashing Sport Wheels! Have gotten sooooo many compliments on those wheels... amazing conversation starter... lol   and they double for safety at night... having to dress in all black for professionalism can place one at risk on city streets... enough said....

Love my Zuca!

Oct 20 14 10:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

JenniferDenise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ArtistryImage wrote:
And best of all, you can get those charismatic Flashing Sport Wheels!

stop.  I might have to get those!

Oct 20 14 11:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I hope I'm not too late. But for the longest time I wanted a Zuca because it was so sleek and lightweight and great for traveling. But… it's just not big enough. Stilazzi is twice the size, trust me your kit will grow and it will continue to grow and it's always good to be prepared. As a makeup artist you need to carry around things you wouldn't think you'd need (like, a first aid kit, hair spray, safety pins, tide pen, and so on) I'm actually considering getting the Godfather.
The Stilazzi does get a bit heavy (I have to bring it up a flight of stairs everyday), but it's nothing that can't be done and the weight isn't that big of a deal. It also depends on the type of work that you do, like if you worked in film and television, you'd need the Godfather. But if you just do bridal, then the Zuca could be fine. It's all just personal preference and what works best for you.

Oct 24 14 11:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

I have both and I love my Zuca it's easy to get around and travel with the Stillazi is heavy but it just depends on the work your doing, I love the draws and I work right out of them it's  the perfect size for a growing kit! just as she said I totally agree^^^^^

Oct 25 14 07:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

JenniferDenise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MeganCalfoMakeup wrote:
I hope I'm not too late. But for the longest time I wanted a Zuca because it was so sleek and lightweight and great for traveling. But… it's just not big enough. Stilazzi is twice the size, trust me your kit will grow and it will continue to grow and it's always good to be prepared. As a makeup artist you need to carry around things you wouldn't think you'd need (like, a first aid kit, hair spray, safety pins, tide pen, and so on) I'm actually considering getting the Godfather.
The Stilazzi does get a bit heavy (I have to bring it up a flight of stairs everyday), but it's nothing that can't be done and the weight isn't that big of a deal. It also depends on the type of work that you do, like if you worked in film and television, you'd need the Godfather. But if you just do bridal, then the Zuca could be fine. It's all just personal preference and what works best for you.

I am going to have to disagree with you.  I travel every weekend for a TV show, and I carry all my makeup, styling supplies for 'light hair', and extra items like a first aid kit, sewing kit, and snacks--all in my Zuca.  I typically have to fly to my destination, and it fits in the overhead bins perfectly, and though it is a stout, sturdy bag, I can still lift it overhead myself.  I think it really depends on how you organize it.  Keeping it super organized also allows it to be inspected by TSA and put back together quickly.
In other travelling tips, I carry this bag  as my 'personal item'; it fits neatly under the seat in front of me.

Oct 27 14 06:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

JenniferDenise wrote:

I am going to have to disagree with you.  I travel every weekend for a TV show, and I carry all my makeup, styling supplies for 'light hair', and extra items like a first aid kit, sewing kit, and snacks--all in my Zuca.  I typically have to fly to my destination, and it fits in the overhead bins perfectly, and though it is a stout, sturdy bag, I can still lift it overhead myself.  I think it really depends on how you organize it.  Keeping it super organized also allows it to be inspected by TSA and put back together quickly.
In other travelling tips, I carry this bag  as my 'personal item'; it fits neatly under the seat in front of me.

Okay Miss Jennifer, I wanna see pictures of your packed Zuca cause I have to put hair in another bag. Lemme see the magic. My dream is to do it out of one bag, but I just have to have hair stuff in the backpack for travel gigs. Ick. Help a sistah out!

Oct 28 14 12:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

JenniferDenise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
Okay Miss Jennifer, I wanna see pictures of your packed Zuca cause I have to put hair in another bag. Lemme see the magic. My dream is to do it out of one bag, but I just have to have hair stuff in the backpack for travel gigs. Ick. Help a sistah out!

Keeping in mind that I typically do 'light' hair, I do have a second bag for bigger hair supplies. 

Here is my weekend travel gear:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7536/15466360457_3a9c355016_n.jpg
The backpack also carries my blowdryer, since it won't fit the zuca, obvs.  It fits under the seat in front of me on the plane (I fly Delta, if that matters)

Here she is opened up, with the cover off:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3952/15466360777_7b75c65e6c_n.jpg

curling irons, flatiron, pot holder and cape
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3951/15649637401_a0da37d657_n.jpg

combs, brushes, bobby pins etc, sunscreen, hair product
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15628611166_588c02b45c_n.jpg

this holds:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3935/15465678889_fbdd56884d_n.jpg

all this:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15031571924_b7baf9920a_n.jpg
(more hair product, makeup removers, hand sanitizer, ibuprofen)

Then I use the untility pouches as my 'drawers'.  This also keep everything packed snugly and since they are clear plastic, TSA doesn't have to do much but lay eyes on them.  With the exception of the small utility pouch that I put my Yaby pallets in, it doesn't matter which order they are stacked.   I put the small on on top, which allows me to slide that small brown purse you see in one the above photos; I use that purse as a set bag. 

Foundations, powders, shadows, blushes, bronzers, and Ben Nye Lumiere cream pallet
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15652323335_3c6e587a7d_n.jpg

sponges, qtips, cotton pads, lint brush, mints, sewing kit, static spray, wrinkle spray, tums, mouthwash, alcohol, water, first aid, fingernail files and polish remover, armpit sweat guards
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7538/15466753140_52713541e7_n.jpg

lipstick and glosses
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5608/15466753230_37412356b1_n.jpg

powders, cetaphil, primers, loose pigment shadows
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/15653145732_ef3dda7877_n.jpg

pencils, glues, lashes (I carry about 10 pair) mascaras, gel liners, disposables
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15466179178_945c6f5d78_n.jpg

love these canisters from Yaby
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7473/15628611256_8c39b18e13_n.jpg

Not pictured bc I am out: brush wipes Starbucks Via, and snack packet and bars.

Oct 28 14 11:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

You are a doll for doing that! I was wondering how you fit a blowdryer in your Zuca! I think I do more than "light" hairstyling and that's what the difference is, cause my backpack is hair stuff. Always inspirational to see, I'm a visual person, so thank you for your time and effort in doing that!

Oct 28 14 11:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

JenniferDenise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
You are a doll for doing that! I was wondering how you fit a blowdryer in your Zuca! I think I do more than "light" hairstyling and that's what the difference is, cause my backpack is hair stuff. Always inspirational to see, I'm a visual person, so thank you for your time and effort in doing that!

Of course!  I always have my blowdryer in my suitcase, though I will tell you, I rarely use it.  Honestly, I think I could pare my kit down, but I am always afraid of not having that one thing I got rid of!

Oct 28 14 12:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Enticing Makeup

San Antonio, Texas, US

Thank you so much! I ended up going with the stilazzi 4 drawer and it is great! It's actually bigger than I thought it might be. I also got a large stilazzi bag (the clear one) and I will use that for smaller jobs or if I need more space.

Nov 08 14 11:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Enticing Makeup

San Antonio, Texas, US

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give me their advice. Thank you!

Nov 08 14 11:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

I have a set up that is very similar to the Stilazzi, a Zuca Flyer and Zuca Backpack. I prefer the Zuca hands down. As much as I liked how spacious the other set up was, if you pack your zuca properly, you can fit a ton of stuff in it. I also have the backpack to keep smaller supplies in like my brush belt, skin care, body makeup, basic hair styling tools, cleaners etc..

With those two bags, I'm unstoppable haha! I do keep my airbrush/body paint equipment in a Japonesque set bag, I may go back to my PINK canvas tote, has more room than the set bag.

Zuca is way better for travel too. The other is ok if you're consistently rolling on a flat surface but lugging it up stairs and whatever else is a total pain. Zuca all the way!

Feb 21 15 04:57 am Link