Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > The best translucent setting powder?

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

Hello,

I'm looking for the best translucent setting powder. I need something that works beautifully for photo shoots. Is there a translucent setting powder that you swear by and photographs well?
I've heard of a few with good reviews, but I'd love some professional opinions.

Thank you!

Nov 04 14 09:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Arielle Williams

New York, New York, US

NYX HD Powder is the best one I've used. Its not expensive, but its ultra fine (looks like smoke when you open the container) and doesn't leave any white or greyish color. It works great.

Nov 05 14 06:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Rimmel stay matte is a good powder. Its in pressed form and can come in shades but I just use translucent so I dont need to carry loads of them in my kit. Photos really nicely and its drugstore so purse friendly for me as a starter! Though i use bare minerals loose powder and the clinique loose powder in my personal makeup and those photograph wonderfully too. So when I need to repurchase for my pro kit I will probably go for one of those

Nov 06 14 03:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MeganCalfoMakeup wrote:
...translucent setting powder. I need something that works beautifully for photo shoots...

Then you might want to take care using MUFE's HD Microfinish Powder... while this product achieves a flawless translucent finish (it contains no pigment) it has issues when applied in excess to dry skin... i.e. best used with an oil based foundation.  Used as such there seems to be no issues...

That said, the Internet is full of horror stories about this product

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9JLJ6Dq37Ow/TwmmtWLP_7I/AAAAAAAACR4/7dLkZHzThys/s640/P1210122.JPG

Thus removing this from the your workflow equation might be wise...
Please don't get me wrong here... I totally love MUFE product, their Flash Palette is to die for... but I'm not about to do product testing in real-time for them, enough said.

My choice?  Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Face Powder... this very affordable loose setting powder is ultra fine and effectively reduces shine... Best yet it comes in a suite of color to allow adjusting the final look to meet and exceed expectations... Countless times on production sets I've had the talent sent back to prep because the AD or Photog perceived the talent's look was just a tad too light/dark etc... Not a problem with multiple finishing powder hue & chromas... just adjust with a light coat of "corrective" in all is well...  the thought of wiping the face clean and starting again is a place I choose never to visit again... hope this makes sense...

btw... much of the final look is how effectively the matte translucent is applied... always sweep excess powder from the face with a large soft dome powder brush carefully stroking in the direction of facial hair growth so as not to raise these fine hairs which will indeed catch any back-lit illumination and standout noticeably...

MeganCalfoMakeup wrote:
...I'd love some professional opinions...

Just a commercial artist here... albeit professionally trained (Yvonne de Vilar) and licensed.  My compliments on your current enrollment in the Makeup Designory (MUD) Institute... Absolutely all my instructors mentioned MUD is the premiere institution for Makeup artistry... And highly recommended it... good show!

All the best on your journey...

Nov 06 14 06:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Thanks everyone!

Nov 10 14 06:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Semi-Pro

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Double on the Ben Nye. It's good and cheap.

Jan 05 15 09:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meghana Prasad

Northbrook, Illinois, US

I love the RCMA No-Color powder. Very inexpensive and one of the best I've tried. I'm sure the Ben Nye is great as well.

Jan 21 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Elise Imagery

Niles, Michigan, US

I like Mary Kay Translucent Loose Powder. http://www.marykay.com/en-US/Mary-Kay-T … 250.partId

It's mostly sheer but it has a smidge of white coverage that blends blush and contouring in nicely. It's really fine and it doesn't have any obnoxious sparkles in it or anything.

I was roped in to attending a Mary Kay party and I felt obligated to buy something. So I bought it thinking I'd never use it, but now I can't live without it!

Jan 21 15 08:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

Ben Nye Powders in all colors, as well as Neutral Set. RCMA No-Color is another great one.

Feb 20 15 05:51 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

calistastyles

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I am a fan of Ben Nye -- quality product, reasonable price point.

Feb 20 15 06:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

Laura Mercier smile

Mar 16 15 10:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

SinCityFaces

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Try the Laura Mercier translucent setting powder (:

Doesn't leave a white cast & is super light weight!

Apr 02 15 01:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupByMallory

Coventry, Connecticut, US

Tarte is the best I've used. Palladio rice powder does the job as well. Disclaimer: I haven't tried many. I usually prefer powder that adds a little coverage.

Apr 03 15 03:44 pm Link