Forums > Photography Talk > GEAR SHARE: “What to do with an old enlarger"

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
My needs for next month.

A smaller print washer.  I have really nice 20x24 and 16x20 print washers, but I'd love either an 11x14 or maybe even an 8x10 for washing LF film as well as smaller prints.

Tim Summa wrote:
We are PM to get Mr. Giacomo an early Christmas present because Santa says he is a vary GOOD LAD! LOL!!!

You are too kind, Sir.

Nov 25 14 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

maso-arts wrote:
http://petapixel.com/2014/11/23/photogr … at-camera/

Enlarger as a Large Format camera.

I love it! LOL!!! This article is soooo much HORSE SHIT!

What you are seeing in the image of the camera, is in fact the extension focusing rail for an Omega 4X5 enlarger. The bellows extension was used when one needed to reduce a 4X5 or other film format to a smaller size.

On a positive note: If you want to have an 8X10 enlarger/camera there was a limited number of accessory additions made for the Polaroid MP4 copy camera/stand. Now the totally cool part, when I was a CUC (Creative Use Consultant) with Polaroid I ended up with the MP4 Copy stand, the MP4 copy camera (4X5) and the add on 8X10 copy camera back.

If you want the whole thing and will pay shipping, I will box it and ship. Or you could stop by and get it. I have a super studio and an apartment in the back for you to “Stay and Play”!

Nov 25 14 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

My needs for next month.

A smaller print washer.  I have really nice 20x24 and 16x20 print washers, but I'd love either an 11x14 or maybe even an 8x10 for washing LF film as well as smaller prints.

You are too kind, Sir.

As Frank Zappa said, "We'r only in it for the money!"

Nov 25 14 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I have a spare Bogen 11x14 easel that I'm not likely to use. If someone starting out needs a clean, working easel, let me know.

Nov 26 14 10:22 am Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

I'm in need of a 6x6 negative carrier.  I probably have a spare or two of something else, so if you'd like to trade, let me know your needs and I'll see if I've got it.

Dec 02 14 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

L A F wrote:
I'm in need of a 6x6 negative carrier.  I probably have a spare or two of something else, so if you'd like to trade, let me know your needs and I'll see if I've got it.

Timmers!

The poster I'm quoting is Laura Ann.  I recently helped her get up and running with some basic darkroom gear and she is building out a real darkroom in her studio.  Laura, meet Timmers, a more knowledgable printer you will not find here. 

I would like you two to connect via PM, Tim has the most generous of hearts and Laura is a worthy candidate.  If you need help with shipping anything, I can offer some assistance in that area.

Best to you both!

Dec 02 14 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Jon Gilchrist

South Bend, Indiana, US

I'm looking for a 120 film developing tank & reels. I gave all my darkroom gear away 20 years ago, and now I'm starting to rebuild. Starting out with just film processing, don't know if I'll ever get back to printing or not.

Dec 02 14 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Timmers!

The poster I'm quoting is Laura Ann.  I recently helped her get up and running with some basic darkroom gear and she is building out a real darkroom in her studio.  Laura, meet Timmers, a more knowledgable printer you will not find here. 

I would like you two to connect via PM, Tim has the most generous of hearts and Laura is a worthy candidate.  If you need help with shipping anything, I can offer some assistance in that area.

Best to you both!

Yea. I PM ed her. Se is soooo pushy, God! I think she is jealous of our relationship! I told her to forget trying to come between us, we haven't set a date but we are so each others!

On the serious side, she will inventory what she has and then we go from there t see what she doesn't have, like that cute Kodak tray siphon! Did ya know they were contraband in Cali! I mean NOT just in El Lay, but the whole state! Weird man, just plain weird!

She said tomorrow, she said work...I bet she has a hot date! LOL!!!

Dec 02 14 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Jon Gilchrist wrote:
I'm looking for a 120 film developing tank & reels. I gave all my darkroom gear away 20 years ago, and now I'm starting to rebuild. Starting out with just film processing, don't know if I'll ever get back to printing or not.

When posting, not that this just my play ground, try saying what you want with specifics.

Like: I need a single reel stainless steel tank with metal reel. Or double stainless steel real with metal tank, top and cap. It helps a lot in knowing what you need. I will PM you.

Dec 02 14 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

Tim Summa wrote:

Yea. I PM ed her. Se is soooo pushy, God! I think she is jealous of our relationship! I told her to forget trying to come between us, we haven't set a date but we are so each others!

On the serious side, she will inventory what she has and then we go from there t see what she doesn't have, like that cute Kodak tray siphon! Did ya know they were contraband in Cali! I mean NOT just in El Lay, but the whole state! Weird man, just plain weird!

She said tomorrow, she said work...I bet she has a hot date! LOL!!!

Hot date? Psh. The only hot date I have is with my couch and Netflix.

Dec 02 14 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

L A F wrote:
Hot date? Psh. The only hot date I have is with my couch and Netflix.

Still can't get the cats out from under the Christmas tree huh?

All you peoples and your fun toys!!

Dec 02 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Gilchrist

South Bend, Indiana, US

Tim Summa wrote:

When posting, not that this just my play ground, try saying what you want with specifics.

Like: I need a single reel stainless steel tank with metal reel. Or double stainless steel real with metal tank, top and cap. It helps a lot in knowing what you need. I will PM you.

I'd prefer a stainless tank and reels, but plastic will work. Not picky on whether it's a metal or plastic top. It would be nice to be able to do two rolls at once but I'll probably do single rolls 90% of the time so for those rare times when I have to process two I'll just run one after the other.

Dec 02 14 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Tim Summa wrote:

Jon Gilchrist wrote:
I'd prefer a stainless tank and reels, but plastic will work. Not picky on whether it's a metal or plastic top. It would be nice to be able to do two rolls at once but I'll probably do single rolls 90% of the time so for those rare times when I have to process two I'll just run one after the other.

I only have a few stainless tanks and I use them all the time, but, if you can make due with a Patterson tank, I can get you sorted out.  I'm off to Miami soon, but if you PM me your address next week, I'll send you one.

Dec 02 14 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

Still can't get the cats out from under the Christmas tree huh?

All you peoples and your fun toys!!

Well, Mel has taken up residence under there, which is fine.  She's a couch hog anyway.

Dec 02 14 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

CN Thompson

Beaufort, South Carolina, US

AgX wrote:
I have a spare Bogen 11x14 easel that I'm not likely to use. If someone starting out needs a clean, working easel, let me know.

I could use an easel, I currently do not have one!!!
  I also have some stainless steel developing tanks and stainless 35mm reels if anyone is in need.

Dec 04 14 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

CN Thompson wrote:

I could use an easel, I currently do not have one!!!

Done. PM sent.

Dec 04 14 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BTW... If anyone has a M.F. Camera they want to donate to a good home, I'll pay for the postage.  I like my RB67, but I would like to shoot with a smaller form factor. 

Just saying....

Dec 15 14 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Xanadu Photography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Take it to a museum ...

Dec 17 14 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Hey guys, someone pointed me here, I was shocked to learn that anyone on MM still does film, I thought I was the only one!! Lol!!

I haven't updated my page in probably years, so I'll have to go and do that sometime when I can get to a computer (on my phone right now).

Setting up my darkroom now.

Well I have an 8 x 10 enlarger, but I'm looking for a color head for it that would otherwise go to a scrapyard.
I'm also looking for a Thomases duplex Safelite.
A 16x20 or 20x24 easel
A 16x20 or 20x24 print washer
An 11x14 print washer
20x24 trays
Temp water guages and filters
Full darkroom sink (stainless steel preferred but ya know, beggars can't be choosers)

I have a spare 11x14 easel I can give away
I think I might have a spare 50mm lens too, but gotta check.

So hi, my name is Stone, nice to meet you guys!! smile

I shoot a lot of 8x10 large format film these days, also 4x5 and 120 as well of course smile

Love film!!! smile

~Stone

Jan 06 15 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

chiamac

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I'm looking for a 4x5 and/or 120 enlarger if anyone has an extra one. I have money too if the price is reasonable. Never on the forums, pm me.

Jan 07 15 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stone NYC wrote:
Hey guys, someone pointed me here, I was shocked to learn that anyone on MM still does film, I thought I was the only one!! Lol!!

I haven't updated my page in probably years, so I'll have to go and do that sometime when I can get to a computer (on my phone right now).

Setting up my darkroom now.

Well I have an 8 x 10 enlarger, but I'm looking for a color head for it that would otherwise go to a scrapyard.
I'm also looking for a Thomases duplex Safelite.
A 16x20 or 20x24 easel
A 16x20 or 20x24 print washer
An 11x14 print washer
20x24 trays
Temp water guages and filters
Full darkroom sink (stainless steel preferred but ya know, beggars can't be choosers)

I have a spare 11x14 easel I can give away
I think I might have a spare 50mm lens too, but gotta check.

So hi, my name is Stone, nice to meet you guys!! smile

I shoot a lot of 8x10 large format film these days, also 4x5 and 120 as well of course smile

Love film!!! smile

~Stone

What kind of 8x10 enlarger do you have?

Jan 08 15 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

What kind of 8x10 enlarger do you have?

Hi Giacomo,

I have a Saltzman, old, heavy, and sturdy, so basically any kind of color head will fit on it. It's beautiful, just finished restoring the base, I'm setting it up with the help of a friend (it's 1,000 lbs) and I'll print with it with filters until I can find a color head.

Thanks,

~Stone

Jan 08 15 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Blais Photography

Riverside, California, US

I'd love to get those 20x24 trays when you get around to it.

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
Timers, Paper Safe, 20X24 trays, chemicals, a jobo film processor, safelights, etc etc.

I'm at the stage of downsizing and consolidating.

Jan 08 15 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Tim Summa wrote:
Here is another vary practical aspect to your enlarger, the lamp. On your 45M Bessler you can put a PH 111A, which is designed for later versions of the Bessler 23C II enlargers, but because it screws in you can use it on the 45M units. A PH 111A is 75 watts, as is the PH 111. The PH 112 is 150 watts. Where people screw up is the PH 113; this is NOT just a 250 watt lamp, it is color balanced to tungsten. So yes you can print color with it, BUT it was never designed for that purpose. It is in fact used when printing with chloride papers, as in warm toned papers. Warm tone papers made strongly of chloride content do not respond well to the cool color light like the Bromide papers. So with bromide papers you will need a PH 211 or PH 112, but printing predominately chloride papers (warm tone), you need a PH 113.

Learn something new every day smile

Feb 10 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

This is a great idea for a thread!

I'm an instructor at the Harvey Milk Photo Center in San Francisco.  http://harveymilkphotocenter.org/
We're a city-run, publicly funded, member-based lab and exhibition space.  The largest public darkroom left in the country, as a matter of fact.  As great as that all is, we still rely on city dollars to fund equipment, and there's where our current problem lies.  Almost all of our actual darkroom gear comes from donations from the public.  At the moment, we have several instructors and members who shoot and print 8x10, but no 8x10 enlarger.  I see that's a pretty common theme in this thread, but I figured I'd put it out there anyway. 
Since we're a public nonprofit, any donations we take in are tax-deductible, and can be confirmed by San Francisco's Parks Department.  So if there's anyone near the Bay Area who knows of a working 8x10 enlarger, it could have a new start as a key piece of gear in the biggest public darkroom left. 

PM me with any questions!

Dec 12 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Tim Summa wrote:
I will get that ball rolling…in the darkroom you need lights. I have them and guess what, I have Kodak Wratten round ( 51/2 inch) and rectangular (10X12 inch) filters. There are others as well, so talk.

that's back in the dim caveman days of smoky fires for lighting. thomas duplex sodium vapor safe light is the way to go. the limited spectrum light makes it look like you are working in daylight. of course, the price is close to $200 or more now. replacement bulbs are about $100.

Tim Summa wrote:
Now here is some more practical help. IF you can get to access a Leitz Focotar 1a, 1b or 1c enlarger you will have your eyes ripped open. Not only will a Focotar 1c need NO focusing aide as it is a true auto focus enlarger, but, the Focotar I lens will be crystal clear and be in sharp focus wide open. It gets a little creamy when you close it down to f16, but I guess you don’t want to close it down all the way! Here is another kick in the head, see the three positioning screws where the lamp is held and that fact that the lamp is on a shaft? That is because this is a point light source enlarger straight from the factory! Now all of this is not to run about praising Leitz (but I DO!), it tells you that an intrical part of your enlarger is the condenser(s). And most are made by some independent and slapped into that enlarger.

a couple of points - i own and work with a focomat color and focomat II (not focotar, that's the enlarging lens). first, they are not point source enlargers. they use a regular filament socket bulb (except for the v35 which uses a pre-focused filament halogen). technically they are a diffusion condenser enlarger. have used point source enlargers, they actually use a special point source bulb.

point source enlargers have a drawback - they show up every imperfection, very fine scuffs, scratches and micro dust. generally you want to use a oil bath or "wet" negative carrier - with the resulting negative handling issues. a diffusion light source reduces scratches & dust, but shows softer edges, which is why leitz went with the diffusion/condenser combination. make sure you have the anti-newton ring glass on the condenser.

second, the leica cam autofocus is much better than the omega rail autofocus system. also, the leitz glass pressure plate ensures that the negative is sharp from edge to edge - which is something that has been a problem with other enlargers even if you use a double glass carrier with the others. this assumes that you have correctly setup the autofocus click stop on the lens and you have the correct one inch high paper carrier. none of the autofocus enlargers with work properly without the correct one inch height paper easel.

third, the autofocus range goes from 1:1 to around 11x17 and you do need a focus aid for larger prints and calibration. the big plus is that the leica helical focus lens is much easier to focus accurately than the rack and pinion bellows type focus used by most other enlargers. this is the one to use:
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/D0cAAOSwp5JWaC5c/$_35.JPG

it's the micromega critical focuser - has longer mirror with tilting eyepiece for edge focusing. the mirror is front surface (which is why it has a cover). other focusers use back surface mirrors with resulting reflection and refraction problems.

the best focomats are the Ic, color and II. the focomat II is for 35mm & smaller up to 6x7 format. the I and V35 series are 35mm and smaller only.

Dec 13 15 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

Tim Summa wrote:
that's back in the dim caveman days of smoky fires for lighting. thomas duplex sodium vapor safe light is the way to go. the limited spectrum light makes it look like you are working in daylight. of course, the price is close to $200 or more now. replacement bulbs are about $100.

a couple of points - i own and work with a focomat color and focomat II (not focotar, that's the enlarging lens). first, they are not point source enlargers. they use a regular filament socket bulb (except for the v35 which uses a pre-focused filament halogen). technically they are a diffusion condenser enlarger. have used point source enlargers, they actually use a special point source bulb.

point source enlargers have a drawback - they show up every imperfection, very fine scuffs, scratches and micro dust. generally you want to use a oil bath or "wet" negative carrier - with the resulting negative handling issues. a diffusion light source reduces scratches & dust, but shows softer edges, which is why leitz went with the diffusion/condenser combination. make sure you have the anti-newton ring glass on the condenser.

second, the leica cam autofocus is much better than the omega rail autofocus system. also, the leitz glass pressure plate ensures that the negative is sharp from edge to edge - which is something that has been a problem with other enlargers even if you use a double glass carrier with the others. this assumes that you have correctly setup the autofocus click stop on the lens and you have the correct one inch high paper carrier. none of the autofocus enlargers with work properly without the correct one inch height paper easel.

third, the autofocus range goes from 1:1 to around 11x17 and you do need a focus aid for larger prints. the big plus is that the leica helical focus lens is much easier to focus accurately than the bellows type focus used by most other enlargers. this is the one to use:
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/D0cAAOSwp5JWaC5c/$_35.JPG

it's the micromega critical focuser - has longer mirror with tilting eyepiece for edge focusing. the mirror is front surface (which is why i has a cover). other focusers use back surface mirrors with resulting reflection and refraction problems.

the best focomats are the Ic, color and II. the focomat II is for 35mm & smaller up to 6x7 format. the I and V35 series are 35mm and smaller only.

Agreed about the dust and scratches, however point source lights with condensers will also have a subtle sharpness to the prints that diffused light won't have, it's very subtle, that said, I'm debating switching my light source because climbing a ladder to change contrast filters is a pain, but finding a 10x10 color head on my student budget isn't easy, still haven't sourced a 20x24 easel yet, but when someone gives you an 8x10 enlarger for free you take it, but getting the extra stuff isn't easy to find.

I have a few things I can give away, some old tanks etc for 35mm and 120, the old ones where you spin the stem. Some drying paper. But nothing worth getting excited over. And I need some stuff too. It's hard to balance when you're not sure what to let go of in case you need it later.

Dec 13 15 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Whose nudes

East Hampton, Connecticut, US

if you are looking to get rid of darkroom items... list them in the classifieds of photo.net and apug.org. you can make your offer for local pick up only if shipping will be a hastle. i see so many great items finding good homes this way.

Dec 13 15 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

Whos Nudes wrote:
if you are looking to get rid of darkroom items... list them in the classifieds of photo.net and apug.org. you can make your offer for local pick up only if shipping will be a hastle. i see so many great items finding good homes this way.

I'm aware, once APUG has its software upgrade I may be back on the site. Thanks. I am currently on LF Forum however.

Dec 13 15 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Jon Gilchrist wrote:

i have 2 spare ss 120 reels n 4 35mm ss reels. pm if you want?

Dec 14 15 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Whos Nudes wrote:

both great sites wn.

im the rb repair guy btw.

stone... whats the issue with the apug software upgrade? im on everyday both computer and tablet n dont have any issues.

Dec 14 15 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

The F-Stop wrote:

both great sites wn.

im the rb repair guy btw.

stone... whats the issue with the apug software upgrade? im on everyday both computer and tablet n dont have any issues.

I'm banned, they said they would let me back after the upgrade because of some kind of new control infrastructure. I'm not sure, they banned me for publicly outing a seller who had sold me a lens that didn't cover what he said it would cover and not accepting a return. They said I was causing trouble, when I was just trying to warn people that the person wasn't honest. But that's the way of forums. I lost $900 so I thought my complaint was pretty valid, it's not like it was a $20 dirty filter I was upset about. It was a lens that should have covered 11x14 and didn't. So it was useless to me and I just wanted to return it. I was a fool for paying by check because the guy didn't want to deal with PayPal, little did I realize that was all part of the plan, no repercussions.

You live, you learn. I guess they feel that with the upgrade they will have more control over member postings. Something like that. I'm banned no where else, including LFF which has a much higher rate of banning people for sure, so I know I wasn't totally out of line. But I think it was a "good old boys club" deal. I'm the young pup.

Dec 14 15 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

hahaha Stone we've' seen unfair rules enforced before.

So I should be expecting APUG to upgrade their software soon or did they just say that as a "yeah right not in my life time buddy" meaning you've been banned for life?

Seems unfair they wouldn't intervene in a deal of that size.

Sorry to hear it was an expensive learning lesson.

Dec 14 15 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

The F-Stop wrote:
hahaha Stone we've' seen unfair rules enforced before.

So I should be expecting APUG to upgrade their software soon or did they just say that as a "yeah right not in my life time buddy" meaning you've been banned for life?

Seems unfair they wouldn't intervene in a deal of that size.

Sorry to hear it was an expensive learning lesson.

I have no idea, I suspect the bad publicity of making APUG look unsafe was behind the choice.

No Sean really means it, the new software will put limits on posting, I suspect it was actually limits on other people that tend to react to my posts, more than it was me in general. Of course I've grown as a person, so although he doesn't know it, it's sort of unnecessary at this point. The upgrade is happening very soon for real. Lol.

Dec 14 15 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Tim Summa wrote:
Lets talk about the practical aspects of the lens for the purpose of enlarging. Also, I am interested in the practical applications of doing photography. Of course there are certain ‘technical’ aspects, but I try to limit this to the world of the practical.

Some basics, any lens that is in use is considered a normal focal length when one has the width and the length of the film size such that the produced diagonal of the two dimensions give a distance from one opposing corner to the other corner. Thus for a full frame 35mm film (24 X 36 mm) will give us a diagonal of about 55mm. So a 50mm to a 60mm focal length is considered the ‘normal’ focal length of the lens.

Where many go astray is to loose sight of certain basic aspects of these base line concepts. One is that all lenses for practical purposes are always given for infinity. Yet all lenses have two realistic issues and that is the given information for that lens is engraved 50mm f 5.6; and yet there is the other known and that is ‘unity’. Unity is called ‘same size’ or 1:1, along with other identifiers. So the lens engraved 50mm f5.6 is also a 100mm f11 lens when it is functioning at 1:1.

When we are working with a lens that we are using as a enlarging lens, we need to consider the reality that the 50mm lens may in vary practical terms be working at 80mm of focal length. The lens is as well be working at f8.

This seems of no great consequence, and yet it has consequences. In the practical world of the enlarger we find that we are not so concerned with the focal length with one vary large exception. If a lens is to short or too long, it makes working with the enlarger impractical. When I say impractical, I am referring to an anchored device that may be subject to vibrations that cause loose of fidelity in the image due to long an extension up the column, or too short a working distance for magnifiers, hands or even the lifting of the bladed easel for paper insertion.

The problem realy comes down to the practicality of work and as the connivance and comfort of the printer. So the solution is quite simple, more than one lens should be available to do work in the darkroom.

As example, I want to print from a 2 ¼ negative with minor cropping and onto to easels to make a small print of 3X3 size, a print 8X8 and a print 14X14. For the 3X3 a 105 would be grand, but I don’t have one. So I put in the 135 for my 4X5 work, the standard print I do with the 90mm I have and for the 2 ¼ I have (I do 2 1/4 but also do 2 ¼ by 3 ¼ with the roll film back for my 4X5. For the 14X14 print I can use a 50mm.

Some will say this is not practical, and yet it is quite practical if I understand the principals in play and the use of the lenses. That 50mm, in the enlarging game is in reality being used at 65mm or 70mm focal length, depending on the area of the negative in use.

But now, that enlarger, what do we have? A diffusion head, perhaps. But most are using a condenser in their enlarger. So where do you put the condenser. Most have been speaking about their Bessler so lets stay there. Notice the aluminum arm on the side of the 45M enlarger (the same is true for the Bessler 23C II). On that engraved (CRUDE!) device you see negative holder sizes (who said these were film dimensions?). So a 2 ¼ or a 4X5, what are these realy? They are in fact focal lengths associated with those film sizes, and they are traditional sizes. 4X5 is 135mm, 2 1/4x2 1/4is 75mm where in 2 ¼ X 2 ¾ is 90 mm, and of course the 35mm is a 50mm lens. The markings are best covered over with tape and you should set your enlarger for an average elevation. Then place a negative carrier in the carried bay and see the range of your lenses covering power. Here is that practical warning, stop the lens down ONE stop. No one in their right mind ever prints wide open, lenses are NEVR as sharp as they can be wide open. Many require a half or another full stop from the already stop down position.

Now here is some more practical help. IF you can get to access a Leitz Focotar 1a, 1b or 1c enlarger you will have your eyes ripped open. Not only will a Focotar 1c need NO focusing aide as it is a true auto focus enlarger, but, the Focotar I lens will be crystal clear and be in sharp focus wide open. It gets a little creamy when you close it down to f16, but I guess you don’t want to close it down all the way! Here is another kick in the head, see the three positioning screws where the lamp is held and that fact that the lamp is on a shaft? That is because this is a point light source enlarger straight from the factory! Now all of this is not to run about praising Leitz (but I DO!), it tells you that an intrical part of your enlarger is the condenser(s). And most are made by some independent and slapped into that enlarger.

Here is another vary practical aspect to your enlarger, the lamp. On your 45M Bessler you can put a PH 111A, which is designed for later versions of the Bessler 23C II enlargers, but because it screws in you can use it on the 45M units. A PH 111A is 75 watts, as is the PH 111. The PH 112 is 150 watts. Where people screw up is the PH 113; this is NOT just a 250 watt lamp, it is color balanced to tungsten. So yes you can print color with it, BUT it was never designed for that purpose. It is in fact used when printing with chloride papers, as in warm toned papers. Warm tone papers made strongly of chloride content do not respond well to the cool color light like the Bromide papers. So with bromide papers you will need a PH 211 or PH 112, but printing predominately chloride papers (warm tone), you need a PH 113.

Let me know if you want more of this, it will help you in the darkroom to get better prints. Like you are printing on variable contrast paper, what does your enlarging easel look like? Is it white, or is it perhaps yellow. ALL easels should be painted matt black to retard any reflection of light back through the back of the paper. This is true for all modern papers, and it FORCESS you to put the focus paper in the easel.

dont stop, you're on a roll.

Dec 14 15 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

CN Thompson

Good to know there is a RB repair guy here. F-stop, I may send you a PM about looking at mine.

Dec 15 15 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

CN Thompson

Good to know there is a RB repair guy here. F-stop, I may send you a PM about looking at mine.

Dec 15 15 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Bumping for 2016 -- Happy New Year to all.

(Still hoping to find a 4x5 enlarger and other film goodies that are looking for a new home)

Jan 01 16 10:58 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

you really should check the classifieds on APUG.ORG n PHOTO.NET

ive seen so many good items free for pickup or price of shipping these past few months.

ill try to forward the links here next time i see a good deal but these things go fast.

Jan 04 16 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

The F-Stop wrote:
you really should check the classifieds on APUG.ORG n PHOTO.NET

ive seen so many good items free for pickup or price of shipping these past few months.

ill try to forward the links here next time i see a good deal but these things go fast.

And just craigslist, lots of stuff you just have to make a small effort to look.

I need some JOBO 1L clear plastic bottles and a heating element right now. And a 4x5 Beseler in a month when I get some stuff working in the unfinished DR. Keep at it guys.

Jan 04 16 02:20 pm Link