Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

People who have them as pets.

I get along with pretty much any kind of animal, have cats, and love dogs. My mom had birds when I was growing up, and has cared for an African Grey parrot for the past 20 years. A lot of my significant memories of being an adolescent included the parrot flying onto my head, and biting me viciously for no apparent reason.

I don't understand. Birds are often grouchy, moody and never seemed to have much personality.

I guess I'm not a bird person.

Dec 01 14 09:21 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Birds are pigs.

Dec 01 14 09:37 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Monad Studios wrote:
Birds are pigs.

From what I've heard, pigs are pretty sociable and sort of like weird dogs.

Dec 01 14 09:39 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Koryn wrote:

From what I've heard, pigs are pretty sociable and sort of like weird dogs.

I just meant that birds make a mess.  I shouldn't have used negative stereotypes about pigs.  Pigs seem like interesting pets.

Birds are pigs.
Pigs are dogs.
And dogs, of course, are people.

Dec 01 14 09:52 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Birds do make a mess. And they like to poo while perched in locations high off the floor.
Not cool.

Dogs are people too.

Dec 01 14 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i had a congo african grey parrot years ago. loved that bird. they do tend to bond with only one person, or one gender. my bird loved me, but would bite the shit out of my ex, if she ever tried to pet her. lol

parrots are quite interesting animals. they are very intelligent, and are way more interesting than cats. tongue

that bird could not only speak, but she could imitate voices (to the point of amazement), and sounds that she heard in her day to day life.

you just have to be careful with them. if they establish the higher ground (literally) in the house, they will flaunt their pecking order status. parrots are like tempestuous two year old children. i won't say that i had her potty trained, but you can (just like with puppies) get an idea of when the major dumping will be going on. people who walk around with parrots on their shoulders all day (like long john silver) are going to get crapped on. it just kind of goes with the territory.

the main thing that drives people nuts about parrots is the noise. again, that's something that can be managed, with just a little bit of creative psychology. my bird didn't do a bunch on incessant screeching. macaws do most of that nonsense. she was just a chatterbox. but there was always music playing in the home, and she learned to mimic quite a few songs. smile

she sang like a drunk at last call, but it was entertaining.

Dec 01 14 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

noir

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

"A bird in a cage
Puts heaven in a rage."

Never kept birds as pets, though family members have e.g. cockatiels and lovebirds - Birds were able to open their cage door and fly around when they felt like it.  The cockatiels were pretty good at 'verbal' interaction.

I just like to watch and film them - Robins, woodpeckers, blue tits, yellowhammer, finches... all kinds visit my garden. 

All around are heron, kestrels and buzzards.  Birds a plenty here - where I film most outdoor models -
https://vimeo.com/98196920

Buzzard - like a small eagle- 4 feet plus wingspan - over the back of my house
https://vimeo.com/99540243

Dec 02 14 02:38 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

In the past I had birds, the only reamin was a pair of small parrots, who have given to other people.
I was saddened over the death of the other birds and idea of their lives in cages.

Note:
Anyway recently I see video about parrots (even smaller one) able to live around the house, I found it interesting, but I do not think I will change my position regarding their possession.

Dec 02 14 02:51 am Link

Model

Koryn

GK photo wrote:
i had a congo african grey parrot years ago. loved that bird. they do tend to bond with only one person, or one gender. my bird loved me, but would bite the shit out of my ex, if she ever tried to pet her. lol

parrots are quite interesting animals. they are very intelligent, and are way more interesting than cats. tongue

that bird could not only speak, but she could imitate voices (to the point of amazement), and sounds that she heard in her day to day life.

you just have to be careful with them. if they establish the higher ground (literally) in the house, they will flaunt their pecking order status. parrots are like tempestuous two year old children. i won't say that i had her potty trained, but you can (just like with puppies) get an idea of when the major dumping will be going on. people who walk around with parrots on their shoulders all day (like long john silver) are going to get crapped on. it just kind of goes with the territory.

the main thing that drives people nuts about parrots is the noise. again, that's something that can be managed, with just a little bit of creative psychology. my bird didn't do a bunch on incessant screeching. macaws do most of that nonsense. she was just a chatterbox. but there was always music playing in the home, and she learned to mimic quite a few songs. smile

she sang like a drunk at last call, but it was entertaining.

My mother's bird is potty-trained, and says a few words. He mumbles about stuff, and attempts to imitate voices, though he does a bad job at it. He never really learned how to say a lot - though she spent a lot of time trying to teach him to talk. I don't think he's particularly smart, as that type of animal goes. We had smaller types of birds when I was a kid who were
more talkative than the African Gray.

Dec 02 14 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Noncho

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

I like to observe birds in the nature, I don't like to put them in a cage...

https://www.nonchoiliev.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_7786_.jpg

Dec 02 14 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Birds are different animals, and parrots are particularly troublesome.  Parrots are just smart enough to get bored & resentful if they are not appropriately stimulated.  And they live an exceedingly long life.  They take a lot of special care, and I would guess that the vast majority of parrot owners are not prepared for the commitment they require.  And yes, parrots can become neurotic.

Dec 02 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

noir

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Birds are different animals, and parrots are particularly troublesome.  Parrots are just smart enough to get bored & resentful if they are not appropriately stimulated.  And they live an exceedingly long life.  They take a lot of special care, and I would guess that the vast majority of parrot owners are not prepared for the commitment they require.  And yes, parrots can become neurotic.

Wotcher mean, eh? Eh? Eh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrot#Int … d_learning

Dec 02 14 08:41 am Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

For the Dead Like Me fans: Roxy talks about getting  bird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40wND_ypqM

Dec 02 14 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I have had cockatiels. I have one now. They have all been exquisite as companion birds. Each one has their own distinct personality. The birds I have had have been gentle and kind, full of love and loyalty, and they were all strongly bonded with me. They are rarely in their cage, but it's available if we need it for protection or traveling.

Cockatiels are not as messy as larger birds. We need to clean poop, feathers and scattered food, but it's nothing a Dustbuster and bottle of bird-safe spray cleaner won't easily fix.

The more time and attention we give to them, the more complex and rewarding their personalities become. Birds that are neglected or mistreated can easily develop personality problems or bad habits.

Like all relationships, the more we give, the more we get.

They help me work. It's their responsibility to chew my bills around the edges, then poop on them before I seal the envelop and drop it in the mail.

Dec 02 14 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

One of my neighbors has an African Grey Parrot that he takes for walks in the neighborhood perched on his shoulder.  The bird can perfectly imitate a dog barking, and when they encounter dog walkers, the bird will lean forward and start barking at the dog.  It's truly hilarious to see the dogs WTF? expression.  I've never seen one of the dogs bark back, they seem too stunned.

Dec 02 14 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Noncho wrote:
I like to observe birds in the nature, I don't like to put them in a cage...

https://www.nonchoiliev.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_7786_.jpg

Awesome photograph.

Dec 03 14 11:00 am Link

Model

Koryn

Click Hamilton wrote:
I have had cockatiels. I have one now. They have all been exquisite as companion birds. Each one has their own distinct personality. The birds I have had have been gentle and kind, full of love and loyalty, and they were all strongly bonded with me. They are rarely in their cage, but it's available if we need it for protection or traveling.

Cockatiels are not as messy as larger birds. We need to clean poop, feathers and scattered food, but it's nothing a Dustbuster and bottle of bird-safe spray cleaner won't easily fix.

The more time and attention we give to them, the more complex and rewarding their personalities become. Birds that are neglected or mistreated can easily develop personality problems or bad habits.

They help me work. It's their responsibility to chew my bills around the edges, then poop on them before I seal the envelop and drop it in the mail.

I think you have to have a special personality for birds. I typically do well with most types of animals, including farm animals and bond well with them.

I've never been able to connect well with birds.

My mom had all sorts of birds when I was growing up. I don't know why I never felt "close" to any of them - the way I feel friendly with other types of animals. I just never did.

Dec 03 14 08:00 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

interesting post.

Dec 04 14 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120306/19/4f56d5fe6638d_m.jpg

Dec 04 14 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

^You were both gracious hosts. What a fine day that was!

Dec 04 14 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

This bird can charm me out of the trees

http://youtu.be/O7D-1RG-VRk

Dec 04 14 11:16 pm Link