Forums > Model Colloquy > You ticked 'No' to nude, but...

Photographer

PR Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

...would you change your mind to 'Yes' for Pirelli?

http://www.pirellical.com

Dec 19 14 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

PR Zone wrote:
...would you change your mind to ''Yes'' for Pirelli?

http://www.pirellical.com

While I''m not a model, I can say that if I were and did not want to do nudes often or with "everybody" I''d check off no, then respond positively to professional requests about it.

Daniel

Dec 21 14 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Daniel Norton wrote:

While I''''m not a model, I can say that if I were and did not want to do nudes often or with "everybody" I''''d check off no, then respond positively to professional requests about it.

Daniel

Wow! Really?

Well you may not know this

When Some people say NO they mean NO!

When other people say NO they mean MAYBE?

I shoot a number of models on MM who say no to nudes but shoot them with me.  Also a couple female photographers on this site.

The lack of anominity on the Inter web is what is creating this problem.

Dec 21 14 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Daniel Norton wrote:

While I''''m not a model, I can say that if I were and did not want to do nudes often or with "everybody" I''''d check off no, then respond positively to professional requests about it.

Daniel

This.

Models who shoot nudes (and check "yes" to nudes) tell me that they get tons of "unprofessional offers".  I would imagine that checking no discourages at least some of the GWTHO (GuysWithTonguesHangingOut) from sending unprofessional and often lewd propositions.

Often models who have checked "no" will agree to shoot nudes with serious photographers who have references from other models.

Dec 21 14 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
When Some people say NO they mean NO!

When other people say NO they mean MAYBE?

When I see "Nudes: No" I read it as "No nudes as a rule. If I''m willing to make an exception in your case, I''ll let you know. If you have to ask, then the answer is ''No.'' "

Dec 21 14 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

It''s fascinating to someone like me who tends to think a bit rigidly. Yes, him great photographer and it Pirelli, so big high profile shoot. On the other hand it''s a picture of a girl with her legs invitingly spread and her tits out. Now, blow me if I can see a moral difference between that and me photographing some bird for my wank bank in my dingy basement.
Yes, I''m grubbier on the outside, but am I grubbier on the inside?

Dec 21 14 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I see it all the time. If I see nudes in the portfolio, I will ask anyway. My favorite model in my portfolio said "no" the first time I asked, but, as you can see...    https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1005854 18+
  Like one poster on this thread said, some say NO, and it means NO, others say no, and it means MAYBE.
-Don

Dec 21 14 10:35 am Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

80% of the girls on here who click off "no" to nudes, really mean- "no...I will not shoot nude with everyone, but If I like his/her work and I feel comfortable with him/her, I would be open to try it"

Cheers.

Dec 21 14 11:48 am Link

Photographer

BODYSHOP FEETURES

Clearwater, Florida, US

So far it appears that only photographers have responded.  I am curious how the models will respond.

Dec 21 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

- HokusFokus -

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Dec 21 14 12:15 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

BODYSHOP  FEETURES wrote:
So far it appears that only photographers have responded.  I am curious how the models will respond.

me, personally, it means no, always.

but i could understand someone bending on that stance if the opportunity and photographer is good. 

how many "no" models would say "yes" if it was playboy?

Dec 21 14 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Maybe the more important part of the question is whether you would do it with Steven Meisel shooting the photos? These calendar photos are not his most inspiring work, obviously, but any model who goes into Meisel''s catalog of work would gain considerably by it.

Dec 21 14 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Carl Herbert wrote:
Maybe the more important part of the question is whether you would do it with Steven Meisel shooting the photos? These calendar photos are not his most inspiring work, obviously, but any model who goes into Meisel''''s catalog of work would gain considerably by it.

But I thought one of the reasons models ticked no was because they didn''t want those images of themselves on the net for eternity.
Yes, it''s a much better photographer and the production values are probably as high as they can  be, but is the photograph intrinsically any different to to one taken by an amateur snapper who has no talent or reputation?

Someone mentioned Playboy. What difference does it make whether your tits are out for Playboy or Joe Tosser''s special internet gallery? If the content is the same, i mean.

Dec 21 14 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

TMG wrote:
... Yes, him great photographer and it Pirelli, so big high profile shoot. On the other hand it''''s a picture of a girl with her legs invitingly spread and her tits out...

Have you ever seen a Pirelli calendar?

Dec 21 14 03:25 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BODYSHOP  FEETURES wrote:

For me it means no, unless I ask you because of your work in this area, (or unless your work in this area is something and you ask me.) In order to diminish confusion I created a separate profile https://www.modelmayhem.com/3453851

Its helped.

Jen
p.s. as a photographer I am not going to ask anyone to shoot nudes who isn''t interested in modeling for them

Dec 21 14 05:04 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

TMG wrote:

Someone mentioned Playboy. What difference does it make whether your tits are out for Playboy or Joe Tosser''''s special internet gallery? If the content is the same, i mean.

You are making a leap to compare nudes as being all the same merely due to the lack of being clothed or covered.

There are more than one type of nude just as there are more than one type of clothed and yeah, it does make a huge difference.

Jen

Dec 21 14 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Is it just me or are people totally ignoring the OP''s question. It''s not about models saying NO on their profile and then shooting nudes.

It was if you said NO would you change your mind for the Pirelli Calendar am I not correct?

And where do you get the code the site is asking for?

Dec 21 14 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Jen B wrote:

You are making a leap to compare nudes as being all the same merely due to the lack of being clothed or covered.

There are more than one type of nude just as there are more than one type of clothed and yeah, it does make a huge difference.

Jen

Jen you are 100% right.  It was wonderful finding Jen on MM and then being able to shoot with her 3 times.  Jen, shooting nudes with you is a great joy for me as a photographer.  and yes there is a huge difference.

Risen Phoenix

Dec 21 14 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

This is so deadhorse

Dec 21 14 07:15 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Maybe I just live under a rock but I wasn''t familiar with the name before I clicked on the link. And afterward, I''m still, "eh".
I shoot implied nudes and nudes with photographers work that I like and feel like I can trust. I tried the whole separate profile thing, but all I got was unprofessional requests, then people realizing I was the same person as this profile, then trying trying to have the same conversations with both profiles at the same time....etc. Maybe I''ll attempt the second profile again sometime but I don''t see myself reviving it anytime soon.
The only reason I have a problem with saying "Yes" to nudes openly is because knowing myself, I wouldn''t do nudes with just anyone, even if they were paying. There''s still that level of comfort I would need. I only started shooting nude this year but only with photographers I''ve shot with before OR they had several references and I trusted their word on it.
Scratch that, there''s another reason--I use my real name with modeling (which I regret not thinking of before, those few years ago now when I started) and I don''t want them attached to that, though it might be too late, who knows.

Dec 21 14 08:43 pm Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

No nudes for me means always NO.
It doesn't make a difference if it's for Playboy or Steven Meisel etc.
I make no exception.

Dec 22 14 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Rob Photosby wrote:

Have you ever seen a Pirelli calendar?

yes

Dec 22 14 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Jen B wrote:

Jen

I''m not making that particular leap at all. I''m talking about the psychological content of the image, which is unaffected by factors such as budget, status of the model or photographer, circulation etc.

Dec 22 14 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I just read a Facebook post by a widely published tattoo model who chooses not to model nude which is her well-known policy. Nevertheless she was contacted thru her MM page by a photographer here seeking her for a nude shoot. She very politely declined reiterating her policy. The photographer replied with insulting language to the effect that she had a hang-up because of her stated policy. When she replied to correct the assumption he made. From that point he got truly insulting.

What is it with some photographers who can''t respect boundaries? It''s not like there is a shortage of models who do nudes...

Dec 22 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Dan Howell wrote:
I just read a Facebook post by a widely published tattoo model who chooses not to model nude which is her well-known policy. Nevertheless she was contacted thru her MM page by a photographer here seeking her for a nude shoot. She very politely declined reiterating her policy. The photographer replied with insulting language to the effect that she had a hang-up because of her stated policy. When she replied to correct the assumption he made. From that point he got truly insulting.

What is it with some photographers who can''''t respect boundaries? It''''s not like there is a shortage of models who do nudes...

This is true there are many models who do nudes.  He probably can''t find a model who does nudes.   smile

Dec 22 14 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

East West

Los Angeles, California, US

Non-Nude models fall into 2 categories.

1-Will NOT pose nude regardless of who, what, how much it paid or advanced their career.

2- Will consider posing nude depending on who, what and how much it paid or advanced their career.

If a model says no nudity, you have to respect that they mean #1.

Dec 22 14 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

MDWM wrote:

1-Will NOT pose nude regardless of who, what, how much it paid or advanced their career.

2- Will consider posing nude depending on who, what and how much it paid or advanced their career.

For the record, over the years, I have shot nudes with many, many models that publicly say that they don''t shoot nudes.  It has happened after I have gotten to know them and we have established the re-pore and trust.  Often they have asked me, for one reason or another.

The distinction though is that, when a model says that she won''t model nude, I would never send her a work solicitation where I asked her to pose nude.  "No" means "no" and we have to respect that.  Things may change, on a case by case basis, with time, but you can''t start out by asking a non-nude model to pose nude.  That is just not the way to do things.

Dec 22 14 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Fantasies

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

There are many reasons why a model might say no to nudes. To assess if they''ll pose nude for a particular photographer, it helps to know why they say no.

1. Moral objection.
2. Too shy.
3. Boy Friend doesn''t want me too.
4. I don''t want nudes on the internet.
5. Just not ready for that yet.
6. I don''t like how my body looks nude.
7. Implied is ok, but I''m worried that the photographer will push for more.
8. etc.

Dec 22 14 03:25 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Despite her credentials as one of the longest-serving Victoria''s Secret Angels, Allessandra Ambrosio admits to not feeling entirely comfortable with baring all. She was shot in a swimsuit for the 2003 calendar.

"I never really did a nude shoot," she said. "I''m not comfortable doing them, so I always had a G-string, or I cover my boobs so it looks like I''m nude."

(source: http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2013/08/15/ … -interview)

I''d think this would be a good compromis.

Dec 22 14 03:43 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

I''ll make it simple from one former model''s perspective:

1). Ticking "no" prevents the all-too-predictable avalanch of WWC''s (Wankers With Cameras) from crowding out the legitimate possibilities. Anyone who experiences inbox email fatigue from unnecessary emails can appreciate the time it takes to sift the wheat from the chaff.

2) Because MM doesn''t give an It Depends option.

Regardless of what is clicked, the choice to do nudes or not is just that ... A choice.  If the model says no, don''t pursue the issue; just move on.

Dec 22 14 03:58 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

This typing an apostrophe and getting a " is getting on my nerves. Who''s the programmer around this joint?

Dec 22 14 04:00 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Jen you are 100% right.  It was wonderful finding Jen on MM and then being able to shoot with her 3 times.  Jen, shooting nudes with you is a great joy for me as a photographer.  and yes there is a huge difference.

Risen Phoenix

Thank you right back! I look forward to 4 and 5 too. smile

BTW, yes to the gist of the OP, ticking no to nudes and shooting nudes for people like me is purely related to the photographer''s art.
Jen

Dec 22 14 04:56 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

TMG wrote:
I''''m not making that particular leap at all. I''''m talking about the psychological content of the image, which is unaffected by factors such as budget, status of the model or photographer, circulation etc.

Hi,
I don''t understand what you are saying here. Budget for me is not an issue, I''m a trade model right now and I do not shoot for publications, (although I am grateful to have had some of my nudes published in the March 2014 "Uncovered" magazine shot by Roger Talley in the Arizona desert. Here is one from the series, (18+)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36486510 and I am not sure what the psychological content of my tit being out could be for you but, I am not worried, (both my parents are happy with this shot and so am I.)
Jen

Dec 22 14 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Two things that look very similar may be entirely dissimilar by virtue of the psychological content of the image (the concept behind the piece, the motivation of the contributors, their state of mind when shooting the thing), and two things which look very different - ie the crappy basement wanker shot and the high end glossy big bucks shot - may be very similar when looked at from that point of view.

Dec 23 14 03:47 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MDWM wrote:

I agree.

After reading your reply above this,TMG I understand your post now. Although art can be shot in a basement for no money and non art can be shot for a big budget glossy. The sole determinant of a photo is the photographer. Pure and simple.

Jen

Dec 23 14 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

neve wrote:
No nudes for me means always NO.
It doesn''t make a difference if it''s for Playboy or Steven Meisel etc.
I make no exception.

if the offer included $10 million (or whatever the Euro equivalent would be) would it still be the same answer?

(not saying that would ever happen)

Dec 23 14 12:08 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have always done nudes ever since I started modelling, but if I were a model that had never done nudes and suddenly had the opportunity to be featured in a nationally publicized project like that done by a reputable professional company, it would be a no-brainer and I'd say "yes" in a heartbeat!

One of the first things I was told by others when I started nude modelling is that there will always be those who look at such photos and art for "personal pleasure" and those would be the wankers you are talking about.  It goes with the territory of modelling less than fully clothed, and every model who poses in lingerie, underwear, swimsuits or nude is aware of that. What I have found surprising though is the number of women who look at those photos for the same reasons some of the guys do, and are quite open about making comments and sending private messages about it as well, and making "unprofessional offers" to work together. I never would have expected that.

Dec 23 14 12:15 pm Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Brian Scanlon wrote:

if the offer included $10 million (or whatever the Euro equivalent would be) would it still be the same answer?

(not saying that would ever happen)

The answer would be "NO" again. It''s not about the money, it''s about my personal values.

Dec 23 14 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

How about just shooting those who want to work in this genre instead of trying to bribe/coerce those who dont ?

Dec 23 14 12:40 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
How about just shooting those who want to work in this genre instead of trying to bribe/coerce those who dont ?

Maybe the challenge of the chase is part of their fun in setting up such a photo shoot?  The challenge of getting a model who would not otherwise be interested in doing nudes to agree to get naked for that project (or any other project) could appeal to the photographer on several levels.

It has already been made clear that some models limitations are not set in stone and can be flexible for the right job offer, in this case the national exposure and the money could easily be enough to change someone's mind. Either or both of those might make a huge difference to a model who wants to be better known, or needs to work other jobs as well in addition to modelling to make ends meet.

Dec 23 14 12:48 pm Link