Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 2 Adults, 6 Children Injured...

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

...when the adults got out of their cars, lifted up the down and flashing railroad crossing gate, drove onto the tracks...

...and were HIT BY A TRAIN!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/multi … n/30502214

Jan 05 15 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I hope the train is OK!

As for the idiots in their cars who lifted the gates, they deserve some sort of an honorable mention for a Darwin Award.

Jan 05 15 10:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

If the adults want to be idiots and get hit by a train, okay, I'm not so upset by that.  It is the 6 children who were injured that concern me.  The children not in seatbelts and the adults lift the crossing arm and drive the car into the path of the train.

...and in TWO cars!

Jan 05 15 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I don't mind people who self-nominate for Darwin Awards.

I don't like it when they nominate other people without consent, though.

Jan 05 15 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

ernst tischler wrote:
...when the adults got out of their cars, lifted up the down and flashing railroad crossing gate, drove onto the tracks...

I saw a guy do this at a train crossing where the barrier had been down for like 10 minutes with no train.  He zigzagged his pickup truck through the barriers and used his weight to lift the barrier for one direction.  Only he parked his truck overhanging the tracks.  When the train came through it hit his truck and tossed it maybe 30 feet into a ditch.  Then the train had to stop and blocked the road for another 45 minutes...

Fortunately no one was in the truck when it got hit by the train. 

Sure looked cool though!

Jan 05 15 12:22 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Conflicting info in the article.  2 adults in one car, a third in a second car, plus the 6 kids. 

Nobody heard the horn. 

I figure there are 6 people who learned that railroads are dangerous.  The 3 adults are probably still trying to blame somebody else.

Jan 05 15 12:26 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

There were like 8 smelly pine tree things hanging off the one car's mirror- somebody was high on somethin'!

Jan 05 15 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

stupid is as stupid does

Jan 05 15 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
The 3 adults are probably still trying to blame somebody else.

I'm sure they have already been contacted by numerous shyster attorneys looking to make some money off of them too.

Jan 05 15 02:15 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Conflicting info in the article.  2 adults in one car, a third in a second car, plus the 6 kids. 

Nobody heard the horn. 

I figure there are 6 people who learned that railroads are dangerous.  The 3 adults are probably still trying to blame somebody else.

It could be the guy in the other car wasn't injured, somehow.

What about the poor train driver, even if no one died that'll probably shit you up a bit. There was a guy hit fairly locally and someone I know who was on the train said the driver was crying over the intercom

Edit: Watched the video, it seems it was the guy in the first car who wasn't injured.

Jan 05 15 02:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Nobody heard the horn.

That is a common claim when a driver disregards the flashing lights and crossing arms and then gets hit by a train, "I didn't hear the horn!"  Like somehow that will make the entire incident the fault of the train.  LOL  "Well, it's not MY fault, the train dude didn't blow the horn, it's HIS fault!"

There are a few railroaders in my family.  When the train crew knows there is going to be an impact, the train is put into emergency stop and the crew hits the deck.  The safest place inside the cab of a train is on the floor.  When a locomotive hits a vehicle, there is always a chance there will be a derailment, so the crew never knows where they are going to end up.

Also, that appeared to be an ethanol train.  Those idiots who got hit could have caused a very LARGE accident if the train had derailed and one or more of those ethanol cars spilled.  They were in an urban area with the potential for a great catastrophe.

...but they didn't hear the horn!    UGH.

Jan 05 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

ernst tischler wrote:
That is a common claim when a driver disregards the flashing lights and crossing arms and then gets hit by a train, "I didn't hear the horn!"  Like somehow that will make the entire incident the fault of the train.  LOL  "Well, it's not MY fault, the train dude didn't blow the horn, it's HIS fault!"

There are a few railroaders in my family.  When the train crew knows there is going to be an impact, the train is put into emergency stop and the crew hits the deck.  The safest place inside the cab of a train is on the floor.  When a locomotive hits a vehicle, there is always a chance there will be a derailment, so the crew never knows where they are going to end up.

Also, that appeared to be an ethanol train.  Those idiots who got hit could have caused a very LARGE accident if the train had derailed and one or more of those ethanol cars spilled.  They were in an urban area with the potential for a great catastrophe.

Pretty much agree with what you have said. I've been in three car v. train collisions. Felt a slight lurch on impact, but that was about it. Didn't even spill my drink sitting on the table. The one where they "dumped the air" was different. Bigger lurch, screeching sound, and still didn't spill my drink.

In each case, the train was fine (not so much the engineer who was clearly devastated), the cars and their occupants, well, there really wasn't much left of either.

Can't say I feel much for the idiots who try to "beat the train" but I do feel for the engineers. When they see a car on the track up ahead they know what the outcome will be regardless of what they try and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. That really sucks! I think engineers should sue survivors or their estates!

ETA - and another one.  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/05/no … latestnews

Jan 05 15 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

This is how fast a collision can happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ji0bTmrspo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZecU8CPv074

Trains don't slow down much when they hit something either (unless it is very massive) --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acPX_00M9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba0t6hFArg4

Jan 05 15 07:30 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

ernst tischler wrote:

It is a common claim because it is true.  Doppler effect.  How many threads have there been where photographers claim that you can hear, see and feel a train coming.  Most of the time, they are comparing the sound of a train when they are perpendicular to the tracks, to the sound when they are on the tracks.   When you are in front of a fast train, they are silent.  Horn going or not.

Jan 05 15 09:39 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Michael Bots wrote:
This is how fast a collision can happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ji0bTmrspo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZecU8CPv074

Trains don't slow down much when they hit something either (unless it is very massive) --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acPX_00M9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba0t6hFArg4

Good clips:  Leave it to first responders.
Snow plow trains are always cool.
Train made short work of the semi trucks.

Jan 05 15 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Howcome the crossing arms don't lock into place when down?

Jan 06 15 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

It is a common claim because it is true.  Doppler effect.  How many threads have there been where photographers claim that you can hear, see and feel a train coming.  Most of the time, they are comparing the sound of a train when they are perpendicular to the tracks, to the sound when they are on the tracks.     When you are in front of a fast train, they are silent.  Horn going or not.

This would only be true if the train were going faster than the speed of sound!! That's 760 moh.

Amtrak dont do that fast. Depending on the speed of the train the frequency might seem higher (slightly) due to compression of the incoming waves making it seem like a higher frequency. This is exactly the same effect you notice when you are on a train platform (beside the tracks).

Jan 06 15 04:45 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:
This would only be true if the train were going faster than the speed of sound!! That's 760 moh.

Amtrak dont do that fast. Depending on the speed of the train the frequency might seem higher (slightly) due to compression of the incoming waves making it seem like a higher frequency. This is exactly the same effect you notice when you are on a train platform (beside the tracks).

Okay.  Go ahead and believe that.  Maybe later on, I'll go ahead and do your research for you.  No. trains don't create sonic booms.  Which is what would happen if they are going faster than the speed of sound.  That doesn't mean there isn't a doppler effect.

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
It is a common claim because it is true.  Doppler effect.  How many threads have there been where photographers claim that you can hear, see and feel a train coming. Most of the time, they are comparing the sound of a train when they are perpendicular to the tracks, to the sound when they are on the tracks.   When you are in front of a fast train, they are silent.  Horn going or not.

You explain how survivors say they didn't hear the train coming.  Explain why railroad people and railroad safety people will tell you that you that you can't hear the train coming.  Explain why there are 400-500 deaths at non-crossing locations on the US railroads per year.  That's a lot of darwin.  Provide evidence, please.  Your "scientific" experience is lacking compared to my first hand experience and training.

Jan 06 15 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Okay.  Go ahead and believe that.  Maybe later on, I'll go ahead and do your research for you.  No. trains don't create sonic booms.  Which is what would happen if they are going faster than the speed of sound.  That doesn't mean there isn't a doppler effect.

You explain how survivors say they didn't hear the train coming.  Explain why railroad people and railroad safety people will tell you that you that you can't hear the train coming.  Explain why there are 400-500 deaths at non-crossing locations on the US railroads per year.  That's a lot of darwin.  Provide evidence, please.  Your "scientific" experience is lacking compared to my first hand experience and training.

Of course there is Doppler effect! It's what changes the pitch of the train whistle. It doesn't make it go silent though. Research all you like (in fact I'd recommend it as being better than talking nonsense like you are now) - you'll find I'm right.

And clearly trains dont go faster than the speed of sound - just like I said.

God help people relying on your "training".

As for providing evidence - actually that's down to you as the one making the extraordinary assertion. So please - give me citations...

Jan 06 15 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

In this particular case, whether or not anyone HEARD the train is completely fucking irrelevant. When you've got a couple of morons lifting barricade arms so they can drive across anyway, they're too stupid to understand anything they hear.

Jan 06 15 05:38 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:
Of course there is Doppler effect! It's what changes the pitch of the train whistle. It doesn't make it go silent though. Research all you like (in fact I'd recommend it as being better than talking nonsense like you are now) - you'll find I'm right.

And clearly trains dont go faster than the speed of sound - just like I said.

God help people relying on your "training".

As for providing evidence - actually that's down to you as the one making the extraordinary assertion. So please - give me citations...

I have in previous threads.  I would rather let you wallow in your ignorance.  Your dismissiveness and lack of knowledge does not make make my assertion extraordinary.

Jan 06 15 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Caradoc wrote:
In this particular case, whether or not anyone HEARD the train is completely fucking irrelevant. When you've got a couple of morons lifting barricade arms so they can drive across anyway, they're too stupid to understand anything they hear.

Fair.

In Canada it's a reasonably serious violation of the traffic laws - driver would automatically be in the wrong no matter whether he heard the train or not.

First thing you'd do as a lawyer here if get the kids to sue their parents for negligence - as big a claim as you could. And get the parents to admit fault.

Jan 06 15 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I have in previous threads.  I would rather let you wallow in your ignorance.  Your dismissiveness and lack of knowledge does not make make my assertion extraordinary.

it's just wrong dude.

Go stand by any train platform. Oncoing trains simply are not silent. By both scientific explanation and the evidence of a persons ears.

Jan 06 15 05:50 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:
it's just wrong dude.

Go stand by any train platform. Oncoing trains simply are not silent. By both scientific explanation and the evidence of a persons ears.

Go stand on the tracks with your back turned to the train.  Then tell me.  Pick a spot where they aren't slowing to a stop like they are at a station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w612s5faYtE

Jan 06 15 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Go stand on the tracks with your back turned to the train.  Then tell me.  Pick a spot where they aren't slowing to a stop like they are at a station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rqMPdQMQ8

Enough already!

Jan 06 15 06:01 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rqMPdQMQ8

Enough already!

Right.  From the time you saw that train, how many seconds did you have to get off the tracks?  If your back was turned, or you had your eyes closed, how many seconds did you have to get off the tracks after you heard it?  You heard a train go by.  How many warning horns did you hear before it went by?  Your video proves my point.  You only want to see it from your perspective and are closed to the possibility that trains can sneak up on you.  If your perspective is correct, then people should never die when walking the tracks, except for suicide, and yet it happens hundreds of times a year.  So explain.  Your video is a fail.

Jan 06 15 06:15 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

http://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-content/u … 533110.pdf

"Trespassing along railroad rights-of-way is the leading cause of rail-related fatalities in America. Nationally, approximately 500 trespassing deaths occur each year, the vast majority of which are preventable. By definition, trespassers are illegally on private railroad property without permission. They are most often pedestrians who walk across or along railroad tracks as a shortcut to another destination. Some trespassers are loitering; engaged in recreational activities such as jogging, hunting, bicycling, snowmobiling; or operating off-road, all-terrain vehicles (ATV)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8GoCfC_5Y A video for rail safety for children

http://articles.mcall.com/1999-10-05/fe … erts-train
"But hearing experts say that not hearing an approaching train is possible. Noise perception can vary greatly, depending on weather and topographic conditions, and on human factors, such as what a person is doing when he or she encounters a noise.

Jan 06 15 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Right.  From the time you saw that train, how many seconds did you have to get off the tracks?  If your back was turned, or you had your eyes closed, how many seconds did you have to get off the tracks after you heard it?  You heard a train go by.  How many warning horns did you hear before it went by?  Your video proves my point.  You only want to see it from your perspective and are closed to the possibility that trains can sneak up on you.  If your perspective is correct, then people should never die when walking the tracks, except for suicide, and yet it happens hundreds of times a year.  So explain.  Your video is a fail.

You said that you cant hear an approaching train. That they are silent due to "doppler effect"

Clearly - as per the video (and this separate video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWpyfXiWs8) - you can.

Thanks.

Jan 06 15 06:21 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:
You said that you cant hear an approaching train. That they are silent due to "doppler effect"

Clearly - as per the video (and this separate video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWpyfXiWs8) - you can.

Thanks.

9 seconds.  It was also at a crossing where horns are being blown well in advance and everything was facing the train.  The image was also shot at an angle to the tracks.  Do it with your back, and the video turned away.  Again.  A fail. 
Even if YOU can hear the train coming, can everybody?

Jan 06 15 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

This must explain why I never hear that loud motorcycle coming down the road or that ambulance siren or...oh wait, I can hear those sounds well before the vehicles pass me.

Jan 06 15 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jay  Edwards wrote:
This must explain why I never hear that loud motorcycle coming down the road or that ambulance siren or...oh wait, I can hear those vehicles well before they pass me.

The reason why survivors say they didn't hear the train is that they are shambling around utterly shocked after being in a train crash!! smile

Jan 06 15 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
9 seconds.  It was also at a crossing where horns are being blown well in advance and everything was facing the train.  The image was also shot at an angle to the tracks.  Do it with your back, and the video turned away.  Again.  A fail. 
Even if YOU can hear the train coming, can everybody?

Sorry - but you said that the train would be silent due to doppler effect. Then you reasserted this.

Clearly it isn't.  Here's another link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzWAox8NCM

Just admit to being wrong.

Jan 06 15 06:32 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Jay  Edwards wrote:

This must explain why I never hear that loud motorcycle coming down the road or that ambulance siren or...oh wait, I can hear those vehicles well before they pass me.

No doppler effect on sirens?  Okay.  Whatever.  It is speed depended and directional.
A vehicle has never snuck up on you?
Look at the video I posted just above.  Why would the experts be telling kids they might not hear a train coming.  Or is all this because I said "can't" instead of "might not"?  I think I would rather err on the side of caution and say "can't."

Jan 06 15 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
No doppler effect on sirens?  Okay.  Whatever.  It is speed depended and directional.
A vehicle has never snuck up on you?
Look at the video I posted just above.  Why would the experts be telling kids they might not hear a train coming.  Or is all this because I said "can't" instead of "might not"?  I think I would rather err on the side of caution and say "can't."

I dont think that "doppler effect" means what you think it means.

Kids might not hear a train because of high levels of ambient noise' wearing music headphones, talking loudly among themselves, terrain differences, trees muffling the sound near a bend...... A host of reasons.

None of those reasons is "doppler effect".

Jan 06 15 06:36 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:
Sorry - but you said that the train would be silent due to doppler effect. Then you reasserted this.

Clearly it isn't.  Here's another link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzWAox8NCM

Just admit to being wrong.

And you didn't hear the doppler effect in that video?  You are taking videos shot at stations and applying the logic to anywhere along the tracks.  Will you have time to get off in a narrow area?  On a bridge?  Will you hear that if you are slightly distracted while taking a picture?  Again, from the faintest sound of that train, and I admit my hearing is poor, there were seconds.  From the horn, fewer.  Again:  show me one where the camera isn't facing the train and it is setting on or right by the tracks.

I will admit I am wrong when you provide evidence that I am wrong.  Find something from the FRA or the Canadian equivalent, that says any person can hear a train coming in any circumstance.

Jan 06 15 06:39 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

http://www.wtae.com/news/loved-ones-won … e/27306352

Friends and family of 18-year-old Jesse Numer are still trying to understand why he didn't hear a train before he was hit and killed by a CSX locomotive Sunday along the Ohio River.

Jan 06 15 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

People can ALWAYS hear a train coming- they just don't know until it's close what it is they're listening to so they don't register the sound. I live by train tracks and I can feel/hear the rumbling of a freight from 15 minutes away at times in the house, even when the conductors laying on the horn.

The problem is the Amtraks that are moving at higher speeds. You don't realize its there until it's there. Hence why they're always laying on the horn when they approach crossings.

Also, anyone who isn't cautious around tracks is an idiot. Trains shouldn't be messed with.

Jan 06 15 06:42 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Here is one that happened near me.  Both, very intelligent men.  I am familiar with these tracks and have observed many trains at this location.  There is a freight yard nearby, to the east.  So, a person might expect a train to be going slower approaching, or leaving the freight yard.  That would be a bad assumption because the trains don't always enter the yard.  The mainlines go by to the North side of the yard. This train was west bound.  It was a freight.  A 4,500 TON train.  Usually three engines for that size train.  Explain to me how they didn't hear it.

http://www.pottsmerc.com/general-news/2 … es-soy-ceo

Jan 06 15 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Here is one that happened near me.  Both, very intelligent men.  I am familiar with these tracks and have observed many trains at this location.  There is a freight yard nearby, to the east.  So, a person might expect a train to be going slower approaching, or leaving the freight yard.  That would be a bad assumption because the trains don't always enter the yard.  The mainlines go by to the North side of the yard. This train was west bound.  It was a freight.  Explain to me how they didn't hear it.

http://www.pottsmerc.com/general-news/2 … es-soy-ceo

No idea why.

I can conclusively tell you though that it wasn't doppler effect.

Jan 06 15 06:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Virtual Studio wrote:

No idea why.

I can conclusively tell you though that it wasn't doppler effect.

But you can't provide evidence. lol

Jan 06 15 06:56 am Link